Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The RB Depth Chart Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: The RB Depth Chart Discussion Reply with quote

RB [4]

Jordan Howard
Jeremy Langford
Tarik Cohen
Benny Cunningham

Ka'Deem Carey
Paul Lasike

This is a deep group that offers some interesting skill sets to the Bears and based on the investment they made in the offseason I would expect that the RB is going to be more involved in the passing game than before. Howard is obviously the starter and one of the best picks the Bears have made in the last 10 years. Langford is a Pace pick and while he was not great last season in his rookie year he flashed the ability to make big plays and he has the speed that Howard does not. Cohen will be a change of pace back who plays 3rd downs and has designed plays for him, we will need to see if he is a liability in the pass protection before he gets a lot of time. I think Cunningham makes the team. He is a proven kick returner and he can catch the ball out of the backfield

Carey has had some flashes, but with the Bears apparently valuing the ability to catch out the backfield and speed I do not think Carey is going to fit the mold. The Bears did not use Lasike enough for me to think that a FB is in their plans and that they would keep one over keeping a TE who has way more upside.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Howard, Langford, and Cohen are 1-2-3, respectively.

This regime has no alliegence to Carey, and Cunningham will face return competition. If they carry a 4th, it'll be between those two, but we also have to remember they'll be carrying 3 QBs on the active roster.
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I think Howard, Langford, and Cohen are 1-2-3, respectively.

This regime has no alliegence to Carey, and Cunningham will face return competition. If they carry a 4th, it'll be between those two, but we also have to remember they'll be carrying 3 QBs on the active roster.

Yeah I'm torn on RB2... I think Fox likes Carey more, but Langford is Pace's guy.

Watching Howard run was night-and-day different from watching Langford... the latter would consistently fall from shoe-string tackles while Howard would bust those runs for 20+ yards.

I think Cohen is our 3rd down back and I think he's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think Langford is in trouble this offseason...if you look at his YPC compared to Carey and much more so Cunningham it is significantly lower...watching him play he showed no vision what so every last year and the change to a more athletic OL who want to get guys on skates rather than run over guys has really caused him to struggle and in more of a zone based scheme you must have vision...

I think Cummingham will easily be our #2 RB going into the scheme...he does everything pretty well as a runner, receiver, pass protector and also returner...I think his running style will really work behind our OL and reckon he is the most underrated of our offseason moves...

Cohen will be seen as a gadget/home run hitting threat...my biggest concern is he tips our hat to the D that we aren't running anything deep because he won't be left in to pass pro so we need to line him up as more than just an RB...use him like the Chiefs used Hill...

Carey is the interesting one for me and will be fighting it out with out with Langford if we keep a 4th RB...Carey is a one trick pony who is very effective in short yardage situations but you wonder if that will be enough to convince them to keep 4 on the roster...the lack of depth at WR is about the only reason too but that spot will be taken by the 3rd QB...

At FB I think Stevenson was the best FB in this draft class and should beat out Lasike pretty easily.

Jordan Howard
Benny Cunningham
Tarik Cohen

Freddie Stevenson
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

At FB I think Stevenson was the best FB in this draft class and should beat out Lasike pretty easily.

Jordan Howard
Benny Cunningham
Tarik Cohen

Freddie Stevenson

I don't know much about Stevenson... what do you like about him?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Jordan Howard
Benny Cunningham
Tarik Cohen

Freddie Stevenson

Very athletic for a FB and really fits a zone blocking scheme and will be able to get to the outside to open up lanes for Howard and the other backs...also a former LB so real toughness and aggressiveness when attacking defenders.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Jordan Howard
Benny Cunningham
Tarik Cohen

Freddie Stevenson

Very athletic for a FB and really fits a zone blocking scheme and will be able to get to the outside to open up lanes for Howard and the other backs...also a former LB so real toughness and aggressiveness when attacking defenders.

Exactly. He really attacks defenders, I can't believe he didn't at least go in the 7th. Iirc Cook's stats had a pretty damn good boost when Stevenson was his lead.

I prefer

1. Howard
2. Carey - Cohen - Cunningham (training camp and preseason battle)
5. Langford - cut

FB - Stevenson

I like Langford less than most, and think Cunningham is a better RB all around. Langford has speed but cannot use it, and is easy to tackle. Plus as already noted Cunningham had special teams ability. Carey at least can hit a hole hard and keep running with contact.

Cunningham should be the 2, Carey and Cohen battle for 3.

I still think Carey is the odd man out though.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think they are going to bother with a FB. They did not use Lasike much last season.

I would hate to cut a better TE to keep a FB that they won't use.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Howard gets hurt, god forbid, there is no way they are leaning on Cohen as a primary runner.

They need 2 guys in addition to Cohen.

Cohen is essentially a WR.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I do not think they are going to bother with a FB. They did not use Lasike much last season.

John Fox teams have always used a FB if they have had a capable one...Lasike was pretty terrible...we are going to be running the ball a lot next year so a FB makes sense.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

John Fox teams have always used a FB if they have had a capable one...Lasike was pretty terrible...we are going to be running the ball a lot next year so a FB makes sense.

He is a talented enough runner and blocker, I hope he shows he can be a threat in the receiving game as well. It is much easier to field a FB if they have several facets to their game.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Even if we run the ball a lot they don't need a FB.

Howard showed last season he is really good without a lead blocker and can also run from the gun, which I would do a lot of with run pass options.

Unless the FB can really catch the ball I doubt they cut Daniel Brown for him.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Howard showed last season he is really good without a lead blocker and can also run from the gun, which I would do a lot of with run pass options.

Howard showed he could run the ball without a FB...but how did the other guys fair? The average was well under 4 YPC and overall we were 22nd in the NFL in rushing TDs...that's not going to cut it on this team if we want to be competitive because we don't have the outside weapons to take teams out of the box against Howard...a FB would be far more valuable than a 4th TE who isn't going to see the ball and adds nothing as a blocker.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Howard showed he could run the ball without a FB...but how did the other guys fair? The average was well under 4 YPC and overall we were 22nd in the NFL in rushing TDs...that's not going to cut it on this team if we want to be competitive because we don't have the outside weapons to take teams out of the box against Howard...a FB would be far more valuable than a 4th TE who isn't going to see the ball and adds nothing as a blocker.

Your 4th TE pretty quickly becomes your 3rd TE when Zach Miller is on the depth chart.

I am fine with a FB in theory, but it is going to be a tough cut, unless they only keep 3 true RBs.

Howard
Cunningham
Cohen
FB
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Your 4th TE pretty quickly becomes your 3rd TE when Zach Miller is on the depth chart.

I am fine with a FB in theory, but it is going to be a tough cut, unless they only keep 3 true RBs.

Howard
Cunningham
Cohen
FB

Miller might very well be injured and at that I would have no problem bringing Brown up from the PS but outside of that he would be a guy who is never going to see the ball behind Sims, Shaheen & Miller...I would keep 3 RBs on the roster and Stevenson as a FB over keeping Langford/Carey at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: