Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UDFA TE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwalker

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: UDFA TE Reply with quote

Steelers signed...
Phazahn Odom, Fordham, 6'7 251
Interesting player.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Fordham TE Phazahn Odom 6'8 245: Fast. Great route runner. Will make contested catches. Great double move route runner from TE position. Quick feet. Good blocker. Redzone threat. Catches ball funny at times and has bad hand placement which leads to some ugly drops. JUGs should be his best friend in training camp. Vastly underrated TE talent. My NFL comparison is Jimmy Graham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDstzp9QxZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z8E9E_5p0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP4UONtq49M

I stand by my previous assessment. A little more seasoning and you get a very solid TE prospect.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be interesting to see. Solid athlete at 4.79 40 at almost 6'8". Big boy.
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Quote:

Fordham TE Phazahn Odom 6'8 245: Fast. Great route runner. Will make contested catches. Great double move route runner from TE position. Quick feet. Good blocker. Redzone threat. Catches ball funny at times and has bad hand placement which leads to some ugly drops. JUGs should be his best friend in training camp. Vastly underrated TE talent. My NFL comparison is Jimmy Graham.

I stand by my previous assessment. A little more seasoning and you get a very solid TE prospect.

The first thing I noticed was his poor footwork. If you look at any WR in these clips [or anywhere] when you line up on the left side of the field your right foot should be in front of your left. Right side of the field visa versa. This is football 101

In terms of physical traits, strong...athletic...hard to bring down... not bad routes... obviously a very tall target... maybe fights the ball a bit but proabably new to the game....seems RAW

I'm going to him a poor technique in blocking but he has the size and strength to get better. Seems a perfect candidate that with good coaching he will blossom and elevate his game to the next level

He's definitely got some beast mode in him in terms of trucking after the ball is in his hands and is pretty elusive for a man of his size. ATHLETIC. With various hurdles and movement skills. Also obviously a good redzone target

The inclusion of this guy to the draft immediately bumps it up from a D+ to C-
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers have signed Phazahn Odom after minicamp tryouts. I think this guy is a developmental player who has nice upside. Gain some weight and continue working on his craft and Steelers may have found another undrafted gem.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ✔ @AaronWilson_NFL
Steelers signed former Fordham tight end Phazahn Odom following their rookie minicamp, according to a source
2:18 PM - 14 May 2017

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/report-steelers-sign-te-phazahn-odom/

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seeing it with this guy. Hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:

Odom isn't a natural catcher and his technique is off. His hands basically fight to keep the ball from him. With some quality coaching this guy seems solid in the future.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More intriguing to me than Sheehan..

Somebody please point out to me the better performance (especially one that is 2nd round worthy over a camp invite difference) in an actual game of Sheehans over Odom's.

Id be interested to see some good blocking on Sheehans part and the separation that would be typical of a 2nd round type prospect.

Ive only seen two of Sheehans games, which normally I'll see 3-6 at least. But expect a Division II player to stand out far more than just run after the catch ability.

A simple example of the difference I expect would be reflected in a Tight End to keep an eye on for next year South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert.

Not surprised at all that they signed Odom, only that it took this long.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:

Odom isn't a natural catcher and his technique is off. His hands basically fight to keep the ball from him. With some quality coaching this guy seems solid in the future.

True, and an even bigger concern, as I see it, is his height. While an advantage theoretically in the passing game, it could be a hindrance with blocking. How do get leverage when you're that high up? I'd like to see better athleticism/footwork out of a guy that big. That's one of the reasons Sheehan was so intriguing. He's big but carries his size very smoothly.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:

True, and an even bigger concern, as I see it, is his height. While an advantage theoretically in the passing game, it could be a hindrance with blocking. How do get leverage when you're that high up? I'd like to see better athleticism/footwork out of a guy that big. That's one of the reasons Sheehan was so intriguing. He's big but carries his size very smoothly.

AV is 6'9 and height isn't to much of an issue. As long as you protect the body, those long [inappropriate/removed] arms can keep many defenders at bay. I wasn't too impressed with Shaheen especially taking him that early.

Odom gets good separation on most routes due to how he uses head fakes and a smooth lower body.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theironcitykid wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
Quote:

The first thing I noticed was his poor footwork. If you look at any WR in these clips [or anywhere] when you line up on the left side of the field your right foot should be in front of your left. Right side of the field visa versa. This is football 101

In terms of physical traits, strong...athletic...hard to bring down... not bad routes... obviously a very tall target... maybe fights the ball a bit but proabably new to the game....seems RAW

I'm going to him a poor technique in blocking but he has the size and strength to get better. Seems a perfect candidate that with good coaching he will blossom and elevate his game to the next level

He's definitely got some beast mode in him in terms of trucking after the ball is in his hands and is pretty elusive for a man of his size. ATHLETIC. With various hurdles and movement skills. Also obviously a good redzone target

The inclusion of this guy to the draft immediately bumps it up from a D+ to C-

He doesn't explode into his blocks. Watching the mini camps coverage and that was something that Coach Tomlin and the TE coach were coaching him up on. Hopefully he can make it to preseason and then we can get an extended look.

Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In comparing Shaheen to Odom, the most important thing is one has good hands, the other has iffy hands. One is very thick, the other very lean. We're talking 27 lbs heavier at around 1 1/4 inches shorter (Shaheen is 6'6 1/2", Odom 6'7 3/4", and 278 vs 251 lbs). Shaheen is also faster (you always add time to a pro day 40 vs a combine 40). He's also much more agile and better COD, with the jumping being pretty comparable (but again Shaheen has the slight edge even with an extra 27 lbs.....1/2" less on vert, 2" more on broad). 24 reps vs 18. These are all combine #s for Shaheen too, which are usually less than a pro day.

I'm not knocking Odom here. Just saying there's a reason one guy went in 2, and the other went undrafted. He looks really lean and like he could turn into a weapon, but if he has iffy hands (which the highlight reels don't show of course) that sure lessens the likelihood of him working out. I guess I'm spoiled by some great TEs over the years, but I EXPECT my TE to catch everything thrown his way within reason. I don't like drops by any players, but a TE is the last one that should have bad hands and develop a bad case of the drops like Coates or Nate "Stonehands" Washington
MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is going straight to the PS... Needs work on his pass catching skills
JLambert58

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:

AV is 6'9 and height isn't to much of an issue. As long as you protect the body, those long [inappropriate/removed] arms can keep many defenders at bay. I wasn't too impressed with Shaheen especially taking him that early.

Odom gets good separation on most routes due to how he uses head fakes and a smooth lower body.

Admittedly, I haven't watched anything other than his highlight reel. But I thought when he did get leverage on a guy, he showed good blocking ability and drove his man back.

He gets good separation on that highlight tape, but let's not forget he played for Fordham. I lived in NYC for 8 years and didn't even know Fordham had a football team. fwiw. He just looks to me like (less athletic of course) what LeBron James would look like if he tried to play TE in the NFL. He's got something interesting but is he really an NFL TE? I have serious doubts about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
More intriguing to me than Sheehan..

Somebody please point out to me the better performance (especially one that is 2nd round worthy over a camp invite difference) in an actual game of Sheehans over Odom's.

Id be interested to see some good blocking on Sheehans part and the separation that would be typical of a 2nd round type prospect.

Ive only seen two of Sheehans games, which normally I'll see 3-6 at least. But expect a Division II player to stand out far more than just run after the catch ability.

A simple example of the difference I expect would be reflected in a Tight End to keep an eye on for next year South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert.

Not surprised at all that they signed Odom, only that it took this long.

You're splitting hairs. After OJ Howard there's a big gap to Njoku [Giants pick is a WR in my books] and after that Odom has just as good of a shot as the rest of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: