Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2018 DL/EDGE Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: 2018 DL/EDGE Thread Reply with quote

Discuss the linemen and the QB killers here.

Check out a database of these prospects here
coach4fu

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 DL/EDGE Thread Reply with quote

Where is Duke Ejiofor from Wake Forest?

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Discuss the linemen and the QB killers here.

Check out a database of these prospects here
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 DL/EDGE Thread Reply with quote

coach4fu wrote:
Where is Duke Ejiofor from Wake Forest?
I like him. Good athlete, good size and length, flattens well off the edge, uses his hands well, and a smart player too.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
TheSCOUT

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its going to be week year for edge guys, and a week class for linebackers overall.

Arden Key is the best DE, but he's kind of a tweener between 3/4 and 4/3 schemes.
mikee

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen all of them yet, but of the ones I have seen Ferrell is the one I'm most intrigued by.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interested to see how KJ Smith can be in the NFL. He's been a consistent beast for us and if he has a monster year this year, I could see him being a 4th round pick or so.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By seasons end Porter Gustin and Sam Hubbard will be the top edge prospects
lark25

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:

Really doubt that, but I like Sam Hubbard he has moments where he looks unstoppable and others not so much. Very good combination of length and athleticism at around 6'6 but I think he'd need to get to at least 275lbs to be a real force. Should be a late round 1 guy that could turn into a very good player.
justo

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to watch these guys. Have a list of about a dozen I need to hit this offseason.

Arden Key: He clearly needs to add some weight. He can get away with a lot right now, and I don't think he's a bad player in the run game for his size (watch the Alabama game where he takes up two TEs in the red zone and forces a TFL as every LB goes untouched) but he needs to add some sand in his pants/strength to get away with a rip move at the NFL level. Shows flashes of varied moves, but he doesn't go them enough. Flexibility is an obvious premium there. He kinda reminds me of Anthony Barr at UCLA. First-round pick at the moment.

Sam Hubbard: Had my eye on him since that sack against Michigan State his freshman year. Kinda disappointed there. Flexibility is there for his size. Kinda Derek Barnett-ish, but he doesn't have the snap-jumping that Barnett had to make up for his get-off in college. Heavy rotation there gets him off the field a lot. Hubbard, as a sophomore convert who was a safety in high school, looks much more like a late Day 2 pick than a first-round pick at the moment. Hope his get-off develops.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen at least one game of every returning senior with 5 sacks in 2016 (only senior drafted in the first five rounds without 5 sacks in 2015 was Takkarist McKinley/injury-transfer transition-explosive athlete-big school, those guys will be uncovered in-season):

Potential first-round picks:
Harold Landry, Boston College (143 sack yards)
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Oklahoma (55 sack yards)

Day 2ish guys:
Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest (94 sack yards)
Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State (60 sack yards)
Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State (55 sack yards)
Garrett Hughes, New Mexico (43 sack yards)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
I'm starting to watch these guys. Have a list of about a dozen I need to hit this offseason.

Arden Key: He clearly needs to add some weight. He can get away with a lot right now, and I don't think he's a bad player in the run game for his size (watch the Alabama game where he takes up two TEs in the red zone and forces a TFL as every LB goes untouched) but he needs to add some sand in his pants/strength to get away with a rip move at the NFL level. Shows flashes of varied moves, but he doesn't go them enough. Flexibility is an obvious premium there. He kinda reminds me of Anthony Barr at UCLA. First-round pick at the moment.

Quote:

I think Key is the best prospect in this draft outside of the QB's, should be a very solid pro.

Sam Hubbard: Had my eye on him since that sack against Michigan State his freshman year. Kinda disappointed there. Flexibility is there for his size. Kinda Derek Barnett-ish, but he doesn't have the snap-jumping that Barnett had to make up for his get-off in college. Heavy rotation there gets him off the field a lot. Hubbard, as a sophomore convert who was a safety in high school, looks much more like a late Day 2 pick than a first-round pick at the moment. Hope his get-off develops.

I think Hubbard will take the next step and establish himself as a solid 1st round talent around the middle of round 1.
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Hubbard,

OSU rotates a TON of guys on the d-line. Tyquan Lewis, Jalyn Holmes, Nick Bosa, and Chase Young will all be playing on Sundays. He will get lost in the shuffle.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
justo

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen every pass-rusher with 5+ sacks returning to Power 5 play, senior Group of 5.

Tier 1 (all eligible):
Harold Landry, Boston College
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Oklahoma
Arden Key, LSU (junior)
Dorance Armstrong, Kansas (junior)
Porter Gustin, USC (junior)
Clelin Ferrell, Clemson (redshirt sophomore)

Tier 2 (seniors only):
Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest
Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State
Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State

Tier 3 (seniors only):
Garrett Hughes, New Mexico

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lark25 wrote:
MSURacerDT55 wrote:

Really doubt that, but I like Sam Hubbard he has moments where he looks unstoppable and others not so much. Very good combination of length and athleticism at around 6'6 but I think he'd need to get to at least 275lbs to be a real force. Should be a late round 1 guy that could turn into a very good player.

I disagree, he's a force right now and he is fine where is weight is. I wouldn't be surprised if he drops do 260, getting up to 275 would compromise his athleticism. His athleticism is his calling card as a player, also in those not so much moments, if he is playing his assignment well, and the ball is not coming to him, most coordinators view that as a positive check mark, that goes for pretty much any prospect.

Also, Larry Johnson players are pretty much well rounded as players. Good vs the run and great pass rushers, they may not be flashy but they understand their individual assignment which leads to good team defense. NFL teams think highly of that.

He can be a slightly more athletic Ryan Kerrigan which is good

Last edited by MSURacerDT55 on Tue May 16, 2017 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
MWil23

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
About Hubbard,

OSU rotates a TON of guys on the d-line. Tyquan Lewis, Jalyn Holmes, Nick Bosa, and Chase Young will all be playing on Sundays. He will get lost in the shuffle.

I think that Hubbard's best chance of success in the NFL, if at all, will be as a full time OLB.

With his safety background in high school and ability to set the edge and compete on the outside, I think he could have some relatively average to above average success as a stand up OLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: