Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Browns/Texans Win-Loss Prediction & 2018 Draft Outlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MWil23

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the annual "Even if we lose, we win" game vs. Houston this year, much like Philly last year and Buffalo 3 years ago. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
If we haven't gotten the QB situation figured out this year, have another horrendous year, and then don't address the QB situation again in 2018, I'm going to explode.

2018 is crap or get off the pot for the QB position. I don't care if it's via trade, free agency, or a 1st round draft pick.

Not addressing the QB position is inexcusable and unacceptable. No excuses. I don't care how many "great" position players are available. If we do this again next year, be prepared for another 5 win season sitting in the same spot again in 2019, only without our FO and HC.

We get Jimmy G, in my scenario in free agency. You don't see Jimmy G leading us to the promise land....lol.
------------------------------

See the links and DVOA metric explanation below for the statistical modeling that predicts 6 wins or below as a regression analysis for the texans. Not just spit balling but there's some data to back up the prediction

They could very well win 7 or even 8 games. Facts...

But they play a brutal schedule.

And for an interesting article involving a similar regression model see:

http://torotimes.com/2017/04/11/houston-texans-projected-to-finish-last-by-football-outsiders/

I think clicking on the football outsiders full article through this link can get ppl past the pay wall. If not, let me know.

By using the metric DVOA, in the regression model....one can add Watt's productive impact and see where it gets them. They predict 6 wins. I predict 4-6 wins.

"THE ULTRA-SHORT VERSION:

DVOA measures a team's efficiency by comparing success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent.
THE SHORT VERSION:

DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation. DVOA measures not just yardage, but yardage towards a first down: Five yards on third-and-4 are worth more than five yards on first-and-10 and much more than five yards on third-and-12. Red zone plays are worth more than other plays. Performance is also adjusted for the quality of the opponent. DVOA is a percentage, so a team with a DVOA of 10.0% is 10 percent better than the average team, and a quarterback with a DVOA of -20.0% is 20 percent worse than the average quarterback. Because DVOA measures scoring, defenses are better when they are negative. For more detail, read below.

Please feel free to contact us with questions and comments about our original statistics"

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2017/1987-dvoa-ratings-and-commentary[/quote]

nugpimpen wrote:
Marky wrote:
Houston won 9 games last year. They get the best defensive player in the NFL back, and have a QB that is at least competent. How will they win only 4-6?

I do not see them losing to Jacksonville or Tennessee twice. It seems the last couple of years we think Jacksonville is going to breakout, but they never do.

I see them more in the 7-10 range. Probably win the division again, pick in the early to mid twenties.

I'm with you

According to those that follow the team closely like Lance Zierlein, they were more like a 6 or 7 win team but beat some poor teams...this year the schedule is more difficult.

I could be wrong in that the texans win 8 games but the schedule and matchups just don't favor them imo
(5/22/17) '18 QB1s: 1. Sam Darnold, 2. Luke Falk, 3. Josh Allen, 4. Josh Rosen, 5. Riley Ferguson, 6. Baker Mayfield / FS1s: 1. Armani Watts, 2. Godwin Igwebuike, 3. Jordan Whitehead / SS1: 1. Derwin James / CB1s: 1.T. McFadden, 2. M. Fitzpatrick
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
buno67

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:
Houston won 9 games last year. They get the best defensive player in the NFL back, and have a QB that is at least competent. How will they win only 4-6?

I do not see them losing to Jacksonville or Tennessee twice. It seems the last couple of years we think Jacksonville is going to breakout, but they never do.

I see them more in the 7-10 range. Probably win the division again, pick in the early to mid twenties.

They have a competent QB?

The Texans have started more QBs in the last three years than the Browns have. Let that sink in. Texans cant find a QB. They have had nothing but crap at QB. I dont think Watson is the difference. Unless they try to use him like Clemson used him.

The first 6 weeks will tell us who the Texans are. Yeah they open with the Jags but than have Cincy, Pats, Titans, KC, and Browns. They then finish the last 10 weeks on the road 6x. If they have a rough start. I think they can go 2-4. Beating the Jags and the Browns but both Jags and Browns are better team. Also it be L.F. first game and the texans having no true game tape on him. He could go off. If the Texans are under .500 in the first 6 game I think they finish under .500 for the season. If they go above .500 in those 6 games, I see them going above .500.

I don't like Watson at all, but I felt Houston was the best fit for him. They have a strong defense and a good running game. He will be a game manager, and have him do just enough to win.

He is competent when you compare him to Brock, Savage, Weeden, Yates... I would rather have Watson than any of those guys.

I think everyone is really underestimating their defense. Fewest yards allowed, 2nd against the pass, 12th against the run, and 11th in points a game. Oh, and now they get their best player, arguably the best defensive player in the game back.

Plus, they added Zach Cunningham, who could of went in the first and fell to the 2nd, plus Carlos Watkins in the 4th, who could be a steal there.

Remember when we thought Philadelphia was going to be one of the worst teams in the league?

I dont think Watson can be a game manager. Game managers are smart with the ball and have great accuracy. Watson doesnt have the greatest accuracy and makes bad decisions with the ball, mainly because he thinks his arm is better than what it really is. Watch the early part of the Clemson/tOSU game, Watson tried to be a pocket passer and it didnt work. He had to start running around to open his passing game. He wont be able to do that in the NFL. He basically faced an NFL secondary and couldnt make the NFL type throws.

Eagles were one of the worse teams. They had 3 wins against the Browns, Bears, and the Cowboys who rested their stars. You take away their 3-0 start (they beat the Browns, Bears, and Steelers) they only won 4 games the rest of the way and one of those games were vs a cowboys team full of back ups. They were nothing special thats for sure.

Houstons defense has been carrying them for years and they still cant put an offense together on that team. This could be the year the the defense finally falls apart for once. Hopefully that happens with the Texans try to replace a couple of defensive starters.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:

The Texans have started more QBs in the last three years than the Browns have. Let that sink in. Texans cant find a QB. They have had nothing but crap at QB. I dont think Watson is the difference. Unless they try to use him like Clemson used him.

The first 6 weeks will tell us who the Texans are. Yeah they open with the Jags but than have Cincy, Pats, Titans, KC, and Browns. They then finish the last 10 weeks on the road 6x. If they have a rough start. I think they can go 2-4. Beating the Jags and the Browns but both Jags and Browns are better team. Also it be L.F. first game and the texans having no true game tape on him. He could go off. If the Texans are under .500 in the first 6 game I think they finish under .500 for the season. If they go above .500 in those 6 games, I see them going above .500.

I don't like Watson at all, but I felt Houston was the best fit for him. They have a strong defense and a good running game. He will be a game manager, and have him do just enough to win.

He is competent when you compare him to Brock, Savage, Weeden, Yates... I would rather have Watson than any of those guys.

I think everyone is really underestimating their defense. Fewest yards allowed, 2nd against the pass, 12th against the run, and 11th in points a game. Oh, and now they get their best player, arguably the best defensive player in the game back.

Plus, they added Zach Cunningham, who could of went in the first and fell to the 2nd, plus Carlos Watkins in the 4th, who could be a steal there.

Remember when we thought Philadelphia was going to be one of the worst teams in the league?

I dont think Watson can be a game manager. Game managers are smart with the ball and have great accuracy. Watson doesnt have the greatest accuracy and makes bad decisions with the ball, mainly because he thinks his arm is better than what it really is. Watch the early part of the Clemson/tOSU game, Watson tried to be a pocket passer and it didnt work. He had to start running around to open his passing game. He wont be able to do that in the NFL. He basically faced an NFL secondary and couldnt make the NFL type throws.

Eagles were one of the worse teams. They had 3 wins against the Browns, Bears, and the Cowboys who rested their stars. You take away their 3-0 start (they beat the Browns, Bears, and Steelers) they only won 4 games the rest of the way and one of those games were vs a cowboys team full of back ups. They were nothing special thats for sure.

Houstons defense has been carrying them for years and they still cant put an offense together on that team. This could be the year the the defense finally falls apart for once. Hopefully that happens with the Texans try to replace a couple of defensive starters.

I think Watson was asked to do a lot for Clemson though, don't think he will be asked as much, especially early on, in Houston. Miller and Freeman will set him up for some nice PA plays. He's never had an option like DeAndre Hopkins either.

Other than the Giants, who they beat by 5, they beat everyone by at least 2 scores. Those other 4 games, the beat the Falcons, Vikings, Cowboys, and Giants. Cowboys weren't playing everyone, but they beat the runners up, who should of won the Super Bowl. Plus, out of their 9 losses, 6 of them were by a TD or less. They could of went 4-12, or could of went 10-6. But that is how the NFL rolls.

They aren't a great team, but they are not as bad as claimed. I think 6-10, 7-9 is exactly what Philly should have been.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Houston proves me way wrong and win 3 games this year. I just don't see it happening.

PSN- NewDayRocks4
Student @ smww.com
Scout for the funz of it
Mind Character

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Browns/Texans Win-Loss Prediction & 2018 Draft Outlo Reply with quote

Mind Character wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Houston Texans

Prediction: 4 to 6 wins, with 4 being somewhat likely.

2018 Draft Position Range: Pick 11 to pick 6

----------------------------------

Schedule:

Wk 1 vs. JAC ---- Loss.
Watt isn't 100% and JAC's running game changes the dynamic of the whole offense. Bortles plays for his life. The defense is too much for the inept Texans offense

Wk 2 @ Cin --- Loss. Cinncy's offense proves to be too much. Healthy DBs and improved secondary for Cincy locks up Texans burgeoning passing game.

Wk 3 @ NE --- Loss.
Brady, Cooks, and a strengthened defense is too much for almost every team in the league including the Texans.

Wk 4 vs. Ten --- Loss. The Titans are a well-oiled machine on offense and improved secondary from FA and draft shuts down whatever the Texans put up on offense.

Wk 5 vs. KC --- Loss.
Kansas city is too sound and explosive on offense with returning healthy players on defense including a resurgent Justin Houston, Dee Ford, and Tamba Hali that disrup the Texans QB leading to the Texans 5 loss to start the season.

Wk 6 @ Cle --- Loss. With Deshaun Watson starting at this point, the Browns pass rush proves to be too much for the young signal caller. The Texans defense succumbs tot the grind of the Browns running game late in the fourth quarter. Close game. Texans lose by 3 points in a 17 to 14 game.

Wk 7 Bye.

Wk 8 @ SEA --- Loss.
Healthy Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellorwith an improved talent pool at CB. Texans continue to struggle on offense. Russell Wilson under duress the entire game via Watt and Clowney, but is able to make a few critical plays on the tired Texans defense that has been stuck on the field all game b/c the offense is not extending drives or scoring.

Wk 9 vs IND -- Win.
Without a strong Luck and with the Colts middling defensive talent the Texans and Deshaun Watson pull out a gritty victory at home.

Wk 10 @ LAR --- Win. The Rams gave Goff no real help besides Cooper Kupp and the offensive line makes Goff look terrible again. Wade Phillips calls a brilliant game holding the Texans to 13 points; however, the Rams can only score 10.

Wk 11 vs. ARZ --- Loss. ARZ dynamic defense with new all everything range playmaker Hasson Reddick and Budda Baker working with a healthy tyronn mathieu give Carson Palmer and Larry Fitz much to smile about as they approach the end of their nfl careers.

Wk 12 @ BAL -- Loss. Baltimore's defense shows itself to be one of the best in the league at this time. Deshaun Watson has a poor game. Flacco and Mike Wallace exploit the weak Texans secondary for two splash plays giving the Baltimore defense some cushion.

Wk 13 @ TEN --- Loss. Titans are clicking on all cylinders and prove to be too dynamic on both sides of the ball.

Wk 14 vs. SF--- Win. Hoyer/Barkley throw too many interception that lead to points for the Texans defense. Watson and Hopkins find their grove and start puttingsome points on the Board. The Texans faithful see signs that Watson is their guy.

Wk 15 @JAC -- Loss.
See Above

Wk 16 @ PIT-- Loss. Steelers offense is too dynamic. The return of Cam Heyward and a bolstered pass rush proves too much for the Texans.

Wk 17 @ IND -- Win. See Above.

-----------------------------------------------------

For those challenging my Texans win/loss prediction, look at that schedule and tell me where these 8 wins come from. Injuries and surprises happen every year making the schedule based win/loss predictions not perfect, but they have a really difficult schedule, especially since jacksonville had a crazy free agency and crazy draft as well as the fact that Tom Savage or a rookie QB will be taking the Texans through the season.

I see 6 wins at best with 5 likely coming against the Browns, Indy (twice), the Rams, 49ers, and maybe the Ravens although I think they lose that game due to the Ravens likely having a top 3 defense in the league.

So, where are you all getting these 8 or 9 wins?

Even 7 seems hard to come by....
(5/22/17) '18 QB1s: 1. Sam Darnold, 2. Luke Falk, 3. Josh Allen, 4. Josh Rosen, 5. Riley Ferguson, 6. Baker Mayfield / FS1s: 1. Armani Watts, 2. Godwin Igwebuike, 3. Jordan Whitehead / SS1: 1. Derwin James / CB1s: 1.T. McFadden, 2. M. Fitzpatrick
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:

I think Watson was asked to do a lot for Clemson though, don't think he will be asked as much, especially early on, in Houston. Miller and Freeman will set him up for some nice PA plays. He's never had an option like DeAndre Hopkins either.

Other than the Giants, who they beat by 5, they beat everyone by at least 2 scores. Those other 4 games, the beat the Falcons, Vikings, Cowboys, and Giants. Cowboys weren't playing everyone, but they beat the runners up, who should of won the Super Bowl. Plus, out of their 9 losses, 6 of them were by a TD or less. They could of went 4-12, or could of went 10-6. But that is how the NFL rolls.

They aren't a great team, but they are not as bad as claimed. I think 6-10, 7-9 is exactly what Philly should have been.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Houston proves me way wrong and win 3 games this year. I just don't see it happening.

You're right.

He's only had Mike Williams, Deon Cain, Artavis Scott, Hunter Renfroe, Jordan Leggett, and Wayne Gallman. Laughing

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:

I would also like to note if Texans try and use Watson like at Clemson it'll blow up in their faces. DEs and OLBs are a lot faster. Same with the DBs. Watson has too slow of a ball velocity as well to be a pocket passer. FS and SS players will be picking him off all year long.

Now he might develop into a good QB but as a day 1 starter.... Shocked

So 4 wins might actually happen.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
pnies20

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we only win a handful of games and no QB looks very good but we draft all secondary and a WR?

If we win less than 6 games and have poor QB play, I fully expect us to trade up for a QB.
Marky

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Marky wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Marky wrote:

You're right.

He's only had Mike Williams, Deon Cain, Artavis Scott, Hunter Renfroe, Jordan Leggett, and Wayne Gallman. Laughing

So you would rather have one of them over Hopkins? Rolling Eyes

Plus, they have Lamar Miller, Deonta Freeman, Will Fuller, Braxton Miller, Jaelen Strong, C.J. Fiedorowicz...

PSN- NewDayRocks4
Student @ smww.com
Scout for the funz of it
brownie man

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky wrote:

So you would rather have one of them over Hopkins? Rolling Eyes

Plus, they have Lamar Miller, Deonta Freeman, Will Fuller, Braxton Miller, Jaelen Strong, C.J. Fiedorowicz...

Hindsight is 20/20

Mike Williams has been drafted at a higher spot than Hopkins was and I think if they were in the same draft Williams would be the higher rated prospect

Also, Deshaun's supporting cast at Clemson is a higher level of quality against the competition he was playing against when comparing the Texans offense to the players they're going up against.
Deshone Kizer, Malik Hooker, Carlos Watkins, Adoree Jackson, Budda Baker, TJ Watt, Montravius Adams, Ryan Switzer, Kendall Beckwith, Davis Webb, Des Lawrence, Shelton Gibson, Jamaal Williams, Bucky Hodges
freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownie man wrote:
Also, Deshaun's supporting cast at Clemson is a higher level of quality against the competition he was playing against when comparing the Texans offense to the players they're going up against.

This is the key here. Having a dominant supporting cast in college means your receivers, backs, and line are better than the other team's defenders 95% of the time. Having the same in the pros means they're better than the defenders 60-70% of the time and that the gap isn't going to be nearly as wide. So, in college, maybe Williams being better than the corner across from him gives you a 4 foot radius area where he's the only one who can catch it, but in the pros, even when Hopkins is better, it's still going to be a 2 foot circle (all numbers completely arbitrary to illustrate a point) that he's the only one who can get it. The margin for error gets smaller, especially when your supporting cast was one of the best in the country in college.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just play the numbers game. Do you think Houston will win a wild card spot? I don't, too much competition. Do you think they will win their division? The more probable scenario. We've gotta root for the Titans.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Just play the numbers game. Do you think Houston will win a wild card spot? I don't, too much competition. Do you think they will win their division? The more probable scenario. We've gotta root for the Titans.

I think the Texans implode, 5 to 6 wins, BOB fired.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston has solid coaching and a solid defense, even without a franchise QB, they could easily win 7 games, but that is tops IMO, given their schedule and no starting QB.

I predict we could win a max of 4 games or be as low as 2, we have zip at QB, offense will really struggle to score points and while defense will be solidly improved, it is still very young. I hope it is indeed 2 wins, because that would mean we get the QB of our choice without any trades. Any more than 4 wins, and we might not get one of the top 3 QB's available. Any thoughts that we could win 6 games is pie in the sky IMO.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see HOU winning 7 games (8 tops) and us topping out at 4 or 5. I hope it's 5 for us, and a QB steps up to show real promise, so we can use all of our high picks to really strike on some blue chip players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: