You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bananabucket

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Draft Review Reply with quote

Stealing DalCowboyzRule's format

1. What was your team's draft class and how has it fared thus far?

2) Jack Mewhort G -- Good starting guard.

3) Donte Moncrief WR -- Really good at times. He needs to be more consistent and stay healthy if he wants to stick around.

5) Jonathan Newsome EDGE -- Flashed in preseason and got people excited. Did nothing and was gone pretty quickly.

6) Andrew Jackson ILB -- Did nothing.

7) Ulrick John G -- Did nothing.

2. What player did you want in the first?

N/A

(Trent Richardson trade Mad)

3. Who was your draft crush(es)?

Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, Taylor Lewan, OBJ, Aaron Donald, Zack Martin, CJ Mosley, Brandin Cooks, Dee Ford, Derek Carr, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Trai Turner, Devonta Freeman

4. What player(s) weren't you high on?

Greg Robinson, Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller, Calvin Pryor, Ja'Wuan James, Johnny Manziel, Marcus Smith

5. How did you feel about draft at the time and how do you feel about it now?

I was cool with Mewhort and Moncrief. Underwhelming draft overall obviously.

6. How would you grade your team's class now that we're 3 years in?

C- just because we got two pretty good starters out of it.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Draft Review Reply with quote

- Eric Ebron... Has improved every year so far. For the number 10 overall pick, you expect better production, but if he keeps up, it'll get there.
- Kyle Van Noy... Total system bust. Traded for NE for a super late round pick.
- Travis Swanson... Starting C and rising to be one of the better ones in the NFL.
- Nevin Lawson... Starting CB opposite Slay. Out-produced his 4th round comp pick selection. Could be better, but more than serviceable.
- Larry Webster III... 0 Career tackles. Currently with Carolina.
- Caraun Reid... Showed promise as a really good interior pass rusher, but that flattened out quick.
- T.J. Jones... Serviceable back up WR.
- Nate Freese... Played 3 games and has not been part of an NFL franchise since.

- I wasn't thrilled about anybody in this draft, IIRC. The ones I liked most for Detroit in the first were Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Ryan Shazier. For some reason, I wanted us to stay away from Aaron Donald. d'oh!

- Clowney

- Aaron Donald, OBJ, Sammy Watkins, Greg Robinson

- Thought it was weak then, think it's weak now.

- C

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
Shaq

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2.45 WR Paul Richardson: Hated this pick from the start. Thought we never should have traded down from 32 and took Bitonio, Hageman, Tuitt, or Marqise Lee instead. Wanted Lee at 40 from the initial trade down then he went to the Jags one pick before and then Tuitt went one pick after we drafted P-Rich, so I was even more furious. P-Rich has shown some promise, but there's a lot of what-ifs that always run through my head when I think about this pick. D grade from me.

2.64 OL Justin Britt: Another selection I hated immediately, but he's turned out to be an above average starter at C, though he was a disaster at RT/LG. I wasn't on board the Morgan Moses train like a lot of people, and I wanted a guard like Marcus Martin (whoops) or Trai Turner here. C+ grade.

4.108 DE Cassius Marsh: I've followed Marsh since high school and was never a big fan of him in college, but I understood why we made the pick. The EDGE players in the middle rounds of this draft have been pretty atrocious, so at least we got a contributor at this spot. I was pounding the table for Martavis Bryant here, I'd give the Marsh pick a C but I'm downgrading it to a D because it forced us to take the next WR on the board with our next pick...

4.123 WR Kevin Norwood: Total bust. Thought he would at least be a decent WR4/WR5 and contribute on special teams, but was virtually invisible. F grade.

4.132 LB Kevin Pierre-Louis: The first pick in our draft who I actually was thrilled about. SPARQ demon, I thought he would compete to be a starter at SAM but hasn't really panned out. Decent special teams player though, so I'll grade the pick a C.

5.172 DT Jimmy Staten: Total bust. Hated this pick. Wanted Devon Kennard instead. F grade.

6.199 DB Eric Pinkins: Always going to be a project. Drafted as a S, then we tried him at CB, then as a Sam LB. Hung around on the practice squad for a while, but never really did anything. D grade.

6.208 OT Garrett Scott: Super ahletic and I liked his potential, but unfortunately he had to retire due to a medical condition. Should've taken Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff as a developmental prospect instead, and he went one pick right after. Ugh. F grade.

7.227 FB Kiero Small: He was never going to make the roster, but his college highlights were fun. It's a 7th round fullback, so it's whatever.

Quote:

Marqise Lee, Joel Bitonio, Stephon Tuitt, Ra'Shede Hageman

Quote:

Aaron Donald (Warren Sapp-type players are my favorite)
Taylor Lewan
Zach Martin
Marqise Lee (super productive Biletnikoff winner, injuries and inconsistent QB play let him down his junior year)
Dominique Easley (see Aaron Donald above, thought he was a huge steal despite the injury risks)
Johnny Manziel (thought he was going to prove the league wrong)
Trai Turner (would've been a first round pick if he had stayed another year, dude was only 21 when he came out)

Quote:

Anthony Barr (thought he was too finesse)
Jason Verrett (thought he was too short)
Derek Carr (I'll admit, the Carr name gave him a lot of baggage)

are my notable misses. Never liked Greg Robinson at LT (thought he would be an All-Pro guard though), Xavier Su'a Filo, or Austin Seferian-Jenkins, so I was right on not being high about them.

Quote:

I thought it was a phenomenal class for WR and OL, and for the most part, it has been. Shame we weren't able to take advantage of it since our first two picks were those two positions.

Quote:

D. Hated it. Still hate it. We have one actual starter and two guys who have shown flashes but haven't reached their potential. Missed out on a lot of value, I don't know what PCJS were thinking here. Just draft the USC players, Pete! Only Britt and potentially P-Rich save it from being a complete disaster.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Jadeveon Clowney: After problems with the injury bug and getting the early label of bust, had a breakout year last year and is finally starting to show the reason why we took him #1. Will be interesting to see how he continues to improve with a healthy again Watt. If so... watch out.

2.) Xavier Su'a-Filo: Starting, but probably a bit below the league average at guard, and will probably always have the stigma of not being Derek Carr.

3.) CJ Fiedorowicz: Was always more of a blocker than a receiver at start, but has made some major progression and definitely had his best year last year. Mostly because checkdowns to tight ends were the only thing Osweiler could actually hit. Still probably the best tight end we have on the roster (even if that's not saying much) and a reliable player.

3.) Louis Nix: We all thought he was a major steal, but he busted. Hard.

4.) Tom Savage: Welp. Our starting quarterback... technically... but despite having plenty of opportunities to prove himself in this morass that has been the Texans starting QB position, yet hasn't really done much, and also has a really shaky injury history, having gotten injured in each of his three seasons in the league. I don't expect much from him, aside from serving as camp fodder competition for Watson, then a backup.

6.) Jeoffrey Pagan: Was defensive line depth for a while, but isn't on the team anymore.

6.) Alfred Blue: Was a mild surprise as a rookie, but has shown absolutely nothing since, and his continued lack of production is the reason why we spent a pick on D'onta Foreman.

6.) Jay Prosch: Is a fullback. Does fullback things. He's not bad at them, but there's not exactly overwhelming positional value there nowadays.

7.) Andre Hal: A pleasant surprise as a 7th rounder, has been a solid rotational defensive player in the backfield... though he does occasionally get caught doing something stupid. Still, way better than these sorts of picks usually turn out so late.

7.) Lonnie Ballentine: Mr. Irrelevant that year. Still mostly irrelevant, but is still on the team.

Even with Clowney finally starting to emerge, still has to go down as a generally disappointing draft. Probably a C, C+? Along with Clowney, Fiedorowicz and Hal are really the only other players worth anything from it.
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Cypher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our draft class was composed of;
1. Kelvin Benjamin
2. Kony Ealy
3. Trai Turner
4. Tre Boston
5. Bene Benwikere
6. Tyler Gaffney

Thus far, it's been brutal. Turner is a high-end Guard, Benjamin has struggled to really shine, had the ACL, reported to camp fat twice and has serious questions floating about his viability for the future. Nobody else is even on the roster. Awful, awful class. I won't be surprised if Turner is the only one left come 2018.

Allen Robinson, ideally. Was also high on Humphrey.

Khalil Mack. Had him over Clowney comfortably. Allen Robinson, Odell Beckham, Jordan Matthews (oops), Joel Bitonio, Aaron Donald and Humphrey.

Kelvin Benjamin, top of my "Do Not Draft" board. Kony Ealy. Viewed him as a 3rd round talent with a 1st round grade. Marqise Lee. Was not at all high on Barr (oops) or Watkins. Thought Lewan would likely bust (oops).

Overall, hated it then, hate it now. I think it will go down as an ugly scar on Gettleman's otherwise very impressive draft resume.

D-. Turner is great, everyone else is trash or borderline trash. Rough, rough class.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: