You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. C. J. Mosley
2. Timmy Jernigan
3. Terrence Brooks
3. Crockett Gillmore
4. Brent Urban
4. Lorenzo Taliaferro
5. John Urschel
6. Keith Wenning
7. Michael Campanaro

Mosley was a great pick, turned out much better than I thought. Jernigan was a pretty good player for us, but we just traded him for not being in our long term plans. Terrance Brooks did nothing for us and neither did Keith Wenning.

Gillmore, Urban, Taliaferro, Urschel and Campanaro are interesting because they are all still on the team and I guess are depth at worst. But the final verdict is out on them, as they've all flashed and could each conceivably have a significant role on the team this year if they can win a spot and stay healthy (especially in Gillmore and Campanaro's case). One star and 6 contributors is probably about a B+ draft if one or two of the above take on a bigger role this year.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chiefs had a quiet but useful draft. No stars, but no only one player not still with the team. The 2nd round pick went to the 49ers in the Alex Smith trade.

1.23 LB Dee Ford Auburn Has replaced Tamba Hali. A player to watch this year
3.23 DB Phillip Gaines Rice Could start CB2.
4.24 RB De'Anthony Thomas Oregon Was largely replaced by Tyreek Hill as a return man. Still with the team but on the bubble
5.23 QB Aaron Murray Georgia Lasted 2 years but never played
6.17 OL Zach Fulton Tennessee Multi-year starter
6.24 OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif Canada Started last year and current RG

J

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Mike Evans A+ With Winston at QB he has the potenal to be a top 5 WR great pick.
2.Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE F Already gone from the team, terrible pick
3.Charles Sims, RB D+ Has been decent when on the field but he has been injuried way to much to have a better grade.
5.Kadeem Edwards, G F I don't think he ever played a game for us, waste of a pick.
5.Kevin Pamphile, T B Looking to be our starter at LG and has looked very good when he got to play, really verstille so i really like this pick.
6. Robert Herron, WR F Never really got a chance so he might have been something but i doubt it.

Overall C thanks to evans and Pamphile the rest was pretty crap

Adopt-a-Buc Kwon Alexander 90 Tackles, 7 Tackles for Loss, 3 Sacks, 1 INT
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles 2014 draft was an abomination. Thank you Chip Kelly.

1- Marcus Smith. Not even a serviceable back up in the league. Total non factor as a player.

2- Jordan Matthews. Average NFL WR.

3. Josh Huff. Oregon bum.

4. Jaylen Watkins. Tweener bum.

5. Taylor Hart. Oregon bum.

5. Ed Reynolds. Bum.

7. Beau Allen. Solid rotational DT.

Absolutely horrendous.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2014 Draft Review Reply with quote

For the Raiders:

1. What was your team's draft class and how has it fared thus far?

R1. Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo - A+
Elite Defensive talent and though I wanted interior pass rush I think most were very happy with Mack at the time.
R2. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State - A+
After a nervous start where he was thrown into a poor team has shown to be our Franchise QB with some brilliant play and leadership, great value in the 2nd too
R3. Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State - A
Good power blocking guard, with Pro Bowl potential (maybe he should have been there this year) and great value to pick him up in the 3rd
R4a. Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech - C+
Rotational run stuffer who's never really cemented the starting role outright but may have a chance this year, reasonable value in the 4th
R4b. Keith McGill, CB, Utah - D
Showed promise but was poor when given the start and looks to be on the roster bubble this year
R7a. TJ Carrie, CB, Ohio - A
Underrated corner and sometime safety who outperformed Hayden when given the opportunity, cant expect much more in round 7
R7b. Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State - C
Flashed each preseason and hung around the team for a couple seasons without ever making too much of an impression but ultimately couldn't beat out some decent talent
R7c. Jonathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky - D
Long shot pick based on potential but never really progressed or matured

2. What player did you want in the first?
I liked the Mack pick but I really wanted Donald and rated him the best player in the draft.

3. Who was your draft crush(es)?
Donald I absolutely loved and less so Jordan Matthews, Trent Murphy and of the QBs I thought Bridgewater would be the best

4. What player(s) weren't you high on?
Manziel I really disliked as a prospect, not high on Greg Robinson or Blake Bortles but I really underrated Beckham and Barr also

5. How did you feel about draft at the time and how do you feel about it now?
Very pleased to get Mack, Carr and Jackson but somewhat dissappointed we didn't get Donald as I felt we needed inside pass rush - obviously I didn't realise at the time how good Carr was going to be but liked the pick and the value especially in the 2nd

6. How would you grade your team's class now that we're 3 years in?
I'd give it the highest possible grade, I guess that's an A+ as we really couldn't have asked for anymore and the leadership that Carr and Mack have provided really have transformed the franchise.

Bravo Reggie! Very Happy
Forge

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things I'm interested in seeing

49ers. Ugh...you know, you look at the draft class, and its like "wow, that wasn't all that bad" and, "those are some nice picks", but then you really look at the production that the class has provided, and it's kind of a disappointment.

A) Jimmie Ward. Nothing special about this pick. As someone in our forum described it, it's a solid double. I don't know that he has lived up to the first round selection, but that's not entirely his fault. He's been playing out of position since we drafted him (we moved him to corner), where he hasn't been awful, but most people feel he'd be better as the single high safety (where we are finally moving him this season). He had some injuries early on as well. He hasn't been great, but certainly isn't awful.

B) Carlos Hyde. Another guy where you see the name, and think, yep, that's a solid pick. But then you realize, he's never stayed healthy, and hasn't even rushed for 1000 yards in a season yet. But if you actually watch him, you've seen the flashes. I think he's an above average running back, and maybe even a good one..but he can't stay healthy.

C) Marcus Martin (rd 3). Okay, this was just a flat out awful pick. Total F. This guy was one of the worst offensive linemen I have ever seen. No longer with the team now, thankfully.

D) Chris Borland (rd 3). What could have been. Only played one year, flashed potential to be a very good linebacker when he got into the lineup for injured Willis and Bowman. Retired after one season.

E) Brandon Thomas (rd 3). I thought this was a steal at the time. Last pick in round 3, and I though before his injury he was a legit second round prospect. I don't know if he just never fully recovered from the injury or if that injury just caused him to fall behind. He never panned out and never got into the lineup during the regular season much. We shuffled him around a bit, and I wish we would have given him a crack at Center at some point. The pick wasn't a total bust though - he was traded last year for Jeremy Kerley, who had an okay year last year and signed an extension. Kerley is JAG in the slot, but for a comp 3 pick, I'll take it. Not a total loss.

F) Bruce Ellington (rd 4). I really was stoked about him when we drafted him because we never had one of those gadget type players. But he absolutely cannot stay healthy. Always hurt, particularly with soft tissue injuries. Hasn't been inspiring when on the field, as I don't know that any of the coaching staffs really knew how to utilize him. He's still on the team, but most of us feel he's a considerable long shot to make the roster this year.

G) Dontae Johnson (rd 4). He was intriguing given his size, but has pretty much been a disappointment. Still on the roster, and may actually get a crack at starting this year, but I feel that this has less to do with his actual play and him earning it than it does with how bad the other corners are and the release of Brock and position change of Ward.

H) Aaron Lynch (rd 5). You look at the name and think, yeah, very good pick. And for round 5, sure, it's a nice pick. But there could have been more here. He flashed some as a rookie, then came out on a tear at the start of his second year. Then it's been all downhill after that. He hit a wall that second year and didn't do much, then was suspended and has had some conditioning issues. He's flashed early on in his career, but he's never had more than 6.5 sacks in a season and I don't think that the ceiling is particularly higher. Now he's likely moving to a new position (I think we were trying him out at the SAM role in the new scheme). I wish we would have traded him this year or last because I think we could have gotten something of value for him.

I) Keith Reaser - One of Baalke's patented redshirt players, Reaser is actually still on the roster, and is just as likely to be the starter this year as he is in getting cut. Been pretty underwhelming so far, but for his draft position, not the worst thing ever. Seems like one of those guys that will stick around for 8 years on 4 teams as their CB 4.

J) Kenneth Acker (rd 6) - Started off well enough. Started almost his entire second season, and though he was wildly inconsistent and struggled at times, there seemed to be something there. But then, for whatever reason, he started his third season in the dog house. We went into camps and he somehow went from starter the season before to like 7th on the depth chart. We ended up trading him to KC.

In round 7 we grabbed Kaleb Ramsey, who never saw the field and then retired, as well as Trey Millard, who redshirted year one (giving us a total of 3 Baalke redshirts in this class), then couldn't make the roster the folowing year. I think he's still kicking around somewhere.

2. What player did you want in the first? - I was a huge Verrett fan that year, especially if we were looking at corners. I kept saying that year that if Verrett was 5'11 or 6'0, he was a top 10 pick. Brandin Cooks was also high on our radar given our needs. A lot of people loved OBJ that year as well, but once there was talk about him going in the top 15, we knew that there was no shot of that happening (we did get him in FFMD though! Laughing)

In the earlier rounds, I was big on Verrett, Bitonio, Davante Adams, Dri Archer (oops), Evans

4. What player(s) weren't you high on? Benjamin, Barr, Paul Richardson, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel

I thought t was promising. I had Hyde the #1 running back that year, so I loved that. I liked the Ellington selection because I really wanted that type of gadget player. Aaron Lynch was a high ceiling selection that I liked. Jimmie Ward was a favorite in our forum.

Certainly not awful, but somewhat underwhelming based on what they have flashed at times. Disappointed may be the better word just because every now and again you see what these guys are capable of, yet they don't put it together consistently.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....

Last edited by Forge on Fri May 05, 2017 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Draft Review Reply with quote

1) Zack Martin, G, Notre Dame - 3x Pro Bowler, 2x 1st team All Pro, 1x 2nd team All Pro in his 3 years. Nothing else needs to be said here. A+++ pick.

2) DeMarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise St - consistently injured. got suspended 4 games to start 2016. 9 career sacks. So far not looking good but he has a chance to change that this year in a contract year.

4) Anthony Hitchens, LB, Iowa - fringe starter/good backup. Can't ask for much more out of a 4th round pick. solid pick here.

5) Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh - bust and cut. now on NE.

7) Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford - bust and cut

7) Will Smith, LB, Texas Tech - #gunsup (bust and cut). now in CFL.

7) Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor - bust and cut

7) Ken Bishop, DT, NIU - bust and cut. now in CFL.

7) Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon - bust and cut. now on KC.

Zack Martin or *hides* Johnny Manziel

Manziel. Jace Amaro.

Don't remember.

At the time: pretty happy, a lot of that having to do with the Martin/Lawrence combo

Now: pretty happy. got the best G in the NFL, a rotation DE (can be more), a rotation LB. if Lawrence stayed healthy and became good, this would be a lot better though.

B+

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Gilbert 
Johnny Manziel 
Joel Bitonio 
Christian Kirksey 
Terrance West 
Pierre Desir

Quite possibly could be one of the worst drafts the Browns have had since coming back.

Let's start with the good:

Bitonio has been one of the better guards in football, when healthy.

Kirksey has developed into a really nice LB, much better than I ever thought.

We picked up Isiah Crowell as a UDFA, and has been pretty good, although I don't think he should be "the guy" on the team.

Trading with Buffalo was actually a good move. we moved back 5 spots and got a 2015 1st and 2015 4th, which turned into Cam Erving and Ibraheim Campbell. Erving is going to be a decent swing OL, and Campbell provides depth. We definitely did not draft well with these picks, but I like the thought of the trade. The only real big whiff about this is that we could of had Khalil Mack.. that one hurts.

Even the trade up from #9 to #8 was fine. We gave Minnesota #9 and #145 for #8. #145 was David Yankey, who is already on another team.

The bad:

We traded up to get Justin Gilbert. While he showed potential, he is a [inappropriate/removed] and lazy. We did not meet with him prior to the draft, which would of likely helped see how bad of an attitude he has. I don't even think he is in the league.

With our second 1st rounder (#26), which we got for Trent Richardson, we traded up along with #83 to draft Johnny Manziel. Marcus Smith and Louis Nix were selected in the #26 and #83 spots. Personally, if Johnny had a mindset of Ben, Arod, Brady, etc.. I think he could of been a decent QB. But alas, he is a total nutcase and therefore was a huge bust.

Terrance West was a decent pick, but he also had attitude problems and didn't fit with us. Not surprising to seem him succeed elsewhere, but our FO and coaching staff did not know how to handle players like him.

Pierre Desir was actually a good pick, but they had no idea how to use him.

As a UDFA, I was begging the Browns to keep Willie Snead. I thought he could stick with us and really be a player. But, you know... we cut him and he goes on to be a really nice piece in the New Orleans offense.

If the Browns hit on their 1st rounders, we would have been set. We could of had a combination of Mack, Watkins, OBJ, Teddy B, and Derek Carr. But the Browns went full Brownsey on everyone.

PSN- NewDayRocks4
Student @ smww.com
Scout for the funz of it
Lions017

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some quick grades...

1 (10) Eric Ebron (TE) - C+. I still like him, I still think that he's a good player. Most people that hate on the pick don't hate the player as much as they hate the guys that could have been taken instead. He has the talent to be a dynamic TE. You want more out of a Top 10 pick, but he honestly hasn't been the worst player picked in the Top 10. It would've been better to have OBJ or Donald, sure, but I can't put that on Ebron.

2 (40) Kyle Van Noy (LB) - F. Complete bust for Detroit. He didn't fit the scheme and was a foolish pick, as they saw the talent and ignored the scheme. He's with the Patriots and is a much better fit there.

3 (76) Travis Swanson (C) - A. He had a down year in 2015, but he was great last year and really good in his rookie season. He can anchor down this spot for a while.

4 (133) Nevin Lawson (CB) - A. He's a decent #2 CB. It took him some time to get there, but that's great value at this spot.

4 (136) Larry Webster (DE) - D-. He never amounted to much. He was off the team the next year. The only reason he's not a F is because he stuck on the team for a year.

5 (158) Caraun Reid (DT) - D+. He's not on the team anymore, but I didn't think he was too bad. He got some playing time and wasn't horrible, but the team just got better fits.

6 (189) TJ Jones (WR) - C+. He's a sixth rounder that's still on the team and has shown some flashes. I think that's above average, even if it's not exciting.

7 (229) Nate Freese (K) - F. This pick makes sense if he was any good. He wasn't.

Pretty average draft, I think. The Lions picked up a couple of depth guys and got three starters in Ebron, Swanson, and Lawson. I'll still defend Ebron, as the guy can't help where he was drafted and he has gotten better each year, but the Lions could've done better there.

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2014 draft was the turning point for our franchise.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
MWil23

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 2014 First Rounders are no longer in the league:

Justin Gilbert

And

Johnny Manziel

Both drafted by the Browns.

Yep, that should just about sum it up.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota Vikings

LB Anthony Barr - Bothered by Injuries Last Year but one of the better outside linebackers in the NFL. - A-
QB Teddy Bridgewater - Career Threatening Knee Injury Last Year. Solid B if he's able to come back. Had a promising career going.
DE Scott Crichton - He was cut. Thought he'd at least be a production rotation guy - F
RB Jerick McKinnon - Nice change of pass back with some explosiveness - B
OL David Yankey - He was cut - Waste of a pick - F
CB Antone Exum - He's going to be cut - D
CB Kendeall James - Cut - F
DT Shamar Stephen - Good rotational player - B+
LB Brandon Watts - Cut in 2015 - D
CB Jabari Price - Could be camp casualty this season. nonfactor on the field - D+

Last edited by TENINCH on Fri May 05, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.45 - WR Paul Richardson - Injured far too often and the 4th WR on the team. Flashes something special at times but far too inconsistent, mostly because of injuries.
D

2.64 - C Justin Britt - Crazy to think this turned into a pretty good pick. An above average Center his first year at the position with fringe pro bowl potential.
B

4.108 - EDGE Casius Marsh - Edge player with a great motor and a special teams demon.
C

4.123 - WR Kevin Norwood - Bust
F

4.132 - LB Kevin Pierre-Louis - Unspectacular and not much of a LB. Good special teamer
C-

5.172 - DT Jimmy Staten - with the Falcons I believe. Weird pick
F

couple more late round guys who were nothing special

All in all a pretty poor draft. Richardson has potential as a deep threat, so hopefully he'll up the grade this year.

I really wanted Allen Robinson at 45 and pretty much the whole forum thought we'd take Morgan Moses at 64

#1 ET Supporter
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Draft Review Reply with quote

Quote:

1(21) - HaHa Clinton-Dix [S; Alabama]
2(53) - Davante Adams [WR; Fresno State]
3(85) - Khryi Thornton [DT; Southern Miss]
3(9Cool - Richard Rodgers [TE; California]
4(121) - Carl Bradford [LB; Arizona State]
5(161) - Corey Linsley [C; Ohio State]
5(176) - Jared Abberderis [WR; Wisconsin]
6(197) - Demetri Goodson [CB; Baylor]
7(236) - Jeff Janis [WR; Saginaw Valley State]

Grabbing HHCD at 21 was tremendous value, and he's blossomed into an All Pro caliber safety. They recently picked up his 5th year option, the first time the Packers have done with their first round picks since it was introduced. Davante Adams really came into his own this past year despite being the 3rd WR on the depth chart. Figures to be a big part of our future moving forward. Khryi Thornton was a massive flop although the Packers loved the physical tools. I believe he's been a rotational big for Detroit now. Richard Rodgers has been a solid backup TE for the Packers, although lacks any notable impact. Carl Bradford simply lacked the physical tools to play in the NFL, and I believe he's now out of the NFL. Getting a starting C in Corey Linsley in the 5th round is tremendous value, and he's in line for a potential extension this year. Jared Abberderis really couldn't stay healthy, but was semi-productive in his time with Green Bay. The Packers got two good special teams player in Demetri Goodson and Jeff Janis which is about as ideal as it gets.

Quote:

I think as the draft was going down, HHCD was the guy I was hoping for. I remember pre-draft there was a HUGE debate in the Packers subforum about who was the better safety, HHCD or Calvin Pryor. I was firmly in the HHCD wagon, but there was a significant faction that wanted Pryor. I remember being very high on Kyle Fuller that year as well. I remember like Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, but I don't think I wanted him in the first round.

Quote:

Kyle Fuller, Jeremiah Attaochu, and C.J. Fiederowicz were three guys I probably liked more than I should have.

Quote:

Compared to where they went, I wasn't a fan of Johnny Manziel, Calvin Pryor, Jason Verrett, and Deone Buchanon.

Quote:

I liked, not sure I loved it but I thought it was an above-average class. Feel pretty much the same. Maybe a little bit more. Only pick that really hurt was the Thornton pick.

Quote:

I'd give it a solid B+.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Ryan Shazier - Has been outstanding in his athleticism. Coverage needs improvement. A
2 Stephon Tuitt Outstanding A
3 Dri Archer RB Horrible wasted pick. Out of the league now. F
4 Martavis Bryant Great when on the field but his...issues have allowed only 21 games played. B
5 Shaquille Richardson Did not survive camp.
6 Wesley Johnson Plucked from the PS by the Jets. Now their starting center. A for the pick
7 Jordan Zumwalt Played several years on ST. Cut last year. C
8 Daniel McCullers Backup and 1 year starter. Shown improvement but does not fit in the new NFL. B-
9 Rob Blanchflower Cut in camp D

Khalil Mack, Anthony Barr or Kelvin Benjamin.

Khalil Mack and Lamarcus Joyner

Johnny Manziel, Justin Gilbert ( sorry Browns) and Daniel McCullers

I was high on Tuitt and Shazier. Everyone else I thought would be solid projects.

6. How would you grade your team's class now that we're 3 years in?:
B - I am counting Wesley Johnson in the grade as he is a starter.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: