Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: 2014 Draft Review Reply with quote

Many say you can't grade a draft until they've been in the league for at least 3 seasons. Well it's been 3 years since this draft class, and I think it's a perfect time to take a look back.

A few things I'm interested in seeing
1. What was your team's draft class and how has it fared thus far?
2. What player did you want in the first?
3. Who was your draft crush(es)?
4. What player(s) weren't you high on?
5. How did you feel about draft at the time and how do you feel about it now?
6. How would you grade your team's class now that we're 3 years in?

Feel free to discuss anything else in regards to this class.

#MTGA

Last edited by TitanSlim on Thu May 04, 2017 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great day for Browns fans everywhere. We fleeced the Bills into a trade-up and left the 1st day of the draft with the haul of Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel!
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags had a pretty solid Draft.

A-Rob WR
Lee WR
Linder C
Telvin Smith OLB
Colvin CB

A-Rob, Linder and Smith all need to be given second contracts. I'd give Lee another contract if he stays healthy.

I don't think they will extend Colvin but he's a decent slot CB. Needs to create more turnovers.

Jury still out on Bortles. Bowanko is depth along O-Line. Chris Smith dealt to Bengals. Storm Johnson been gone.

^^el ramster^^
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Denver good draft.

Rd 1 Elway grabbed BPA Bradley Roby after he fell due to a DUI that wasn't (he fell asleep in a car with a BAC of .08 ).

Rd 2 & 3 - Cody Latimer (ahead of Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry, along with Jack Mewhort, Morgan Moses....sigh) & Michael Schofield (to be fair, no real impact OL/DL behind him). Still. ouch.

Rd 4-7 - Magic in Rd 6 with Matt Paradis. Pro Bowl C. And UDFA Shaq Barrett our 3rd EDGE now.

Elway killed Rd 1 and Day 3/UDFA. Whiffed Day 2. His good drafts in a nutshell throughout his career.

Last edited by Broncofan on Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverNBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders obviously had the best draft, and changed the fortune of their franchise for maybe the next 10+ years.
NewAge

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quincy Enunwa is a stud.

The other eleven picks suck.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, 2014. "My guys" were Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, Odell Beckham Jr., Jason Verrett, Joel Bitonio and Marcus Martin. The guys I crapped on were Jadeveon Clowney, Johnny Manziel, Kelvin Benjamin, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Ra'Shede Hageman. As far as the Packers I liked Clinton-Dix who I thought was being overly criticized. I didn't mind Davante Adams. I didn't like Khyri Thornton although I didn't know too much about him. I thought Richard Rodgers was a huge reach.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.What was your team's draft class and how has it fared thus far?- 1)Taylor Lewan-current starting LT 2)Bishop Sankey-Vikings practice squad 4)DaQuan Jones-current starting DE 4)Marqueston Huff-with Chiefs 5)Avery Williamson-current starting MLB 6)Zach Mettenberger-recently cut by Steelers
2.What player did you want in the first? ' I wanted Anthony Barr, Aaron Donald or Teddy Bridgewater.
3.Who was your draft crush(es)?-Teddy Bridgewater & Zach Kerr
4.What player(s) weren't you high on?- Derek Carr(yikes) and Blake Bortles
5.How did you feel about draft at the time and how do you feel about it now?- I wasn't happy at all with the Lewan pick and thought we had a bad draft. Now seeing the impact Lewan has had and the fact we have 3 starters, I'd say it was a pretty good class(even with the Sankey miss).
6.How would you grade your team's class now that we're 3 years in?-I'd give it a B-. We got a future All Pro at LT, a starting MLB and a decent starting DE. The Sankey pick is/was terrible though.

#MTGA

Last edited by TitanSlim on Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bzane

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 Draft Review Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
Many say you can't grade a draft until they've been in the league for at least 3 seasons. Well it's been 3 years since this draft class, and I think it's a perfect time to take a look back.

A few things I'm interested in seeing

Feel free to discuss anything else in regards to this class.

Welp, the Giants had essentially a 2-player draft. They got Odell Beckham, Jr., who turned out to be All-World, ignoring my howls of disbelief and woe when they took him; and Weston Richburg, a very good center who was verging on Pro Bowl status by his second year, 2015. He fell off slightly this past year owing, it is claimed, to a hidden injury (hand), which he played through.

Pretty much everyone else was a swing and a miss.

DT Jay Bromley was yet another of their Third-Round Busts (there is talk of changing the name of The Bermuda Triangle to New York Giants' Third-Round) who is still on the team at least. Overdrafted.

4th round, they took the crash-boom running back Andre Williams who led the team in rushing his rookie year with 700-some yards, but fell off right after that due to lack of speed, moves, wiggle, vision, blocking, pass-catching- everything other than crashing head-on into opposing linemen, which may work against smaller college DT's but isn't especially effective in the NFL.

I believe, 5th and 6th, they took a couple of sexy oft-injured-but-eternally-promising defensive backs, Nat Behre and Bennett Jackson, both the sort of players who look like Herb Adderley in Spring Camp in May, but apparently explode on contact when the real hitting starts.

They didn't have a seventh-round pick because they traded it for a 100% Genuine Eli Manning Autographed Game-Worn Helmet which turned out to be a recycled Jared Lorenzen model which David Carr helpfully inscribed with a clever imitation signature reading "Eli".

I had most wanted a good offensive tackle in the annual anguish Giant fan have over their patchwork O-line. Figured Jake Matthews would be long gone, and my early hope, Greg Robinson, rose like a speculative oil stock in everyone's esteem leading up to the draft, until he was taken staggeringly high at #2 over-all by the Rams. I was hoping for Taylor Lewan as a consolation prize but the villainous Titans snagged him before the Giants' pick.

Would have settled for either of Aaron Donald or Zack Martin, who went after the Giants' selection. They ended up, to my stupefaction and outrage, drafting this Bend-It-Like-Beckham stiff who was the 4th- or 5th-best WR of the draft.

Woah, BABY!, I screamed- They wanna draft a wide receiver, why don' they trade UP and get "Slammin'" Sammy Watkins, the only wide-out worth taking in the first this year. Me, I'd'a traded up to nab this talented-but-cracker-brittle receiver, no matter WHAT the cost; I would have been willing to trade their own first, PLUS next year's- and the year after THAT if need be, such are the grace, skills, and manly beauty of Sammy Watkins, just to get the guy!

In the mysterious ways of the draft the daring BUFFALO BILLS had the cojones to pull off just such a maneuver, out-flanking the Giants to ensure they ended up with this fragile-but-brilliant player, who has raised his stock even higher by complaining about not being targeted as much as the other receivers who have surpassed him.

Annually injured; disappointing; me-first attitude; diva-promise; when I see all of what Sammy Watkins has become, I weep with a fan's frustration over the Giants' embarrassing failure to package enough picks to draft the Young Prince. Ahhhh, What Might Have Been!
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 J. James OT Tennessee
2 J. Landry WR LSU
3 B. Turner OT North Dakota State
4 W. Aikens DC Liberty
5 A. Lynch TE Georgia
5 J. Tripp OLB Montana
6 M. Hazel WR Coastal Carolina
7 T. Fede DE Marist

Ju'wuan James has been an average RT in the league, which I'll take.

Landry? No explanation needed

Walt Aikens has been a nice ST'er and backup DB

Terrance Fede has been a decent rotational DE.

The rest were all cut at some point and no longer with the team.
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packers

1) HaHa Clinton-Dix = he's good & seemed ideal at time, bout to get paid. B+

2) Davante Adams = sucked prior to this year, but put together a real real solid year. looks like a good pick now, he's a high-end #2 receiver. B+

3) Khyri Thornton = useless for GB. everyone hated the pick from the moment it happened & as you would expect didn't pan out. I hear he now may be a useful for player for DET. D-

3) Richard Rodgers = fine guy to have on your team. doesn't carry value you want in a 3rd rounder, but he does some things good. he's no threat, but he doesn't suck. ho-hum kinda pick. reached. C-

4) Carl Bradford = bust. F

5) Corey Linsley = best value pick GB made. very solid starter at C. A-

5) Jared Abbrederis = injuries derailed him i think. D

6) Demetri Goodson = hasn't provided much of anything. probably doesn't make 53 next year. D

7) Jeff Janis = elite gunner. not a good receiver. fine 7th rounder. C-

Above

Calvin Pryor. He went a couple picks before & then I settled on HaHa.

Calvin Pryor, Kyle Fuller, Ryan Shazier, Brandin Cooks were the guys I really wanted in the 1st for GB

Most. Can't remember in particular.

Feel about the same.

B-

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Saints have a single player still on their roster from the 2014 Draft after trading away Cooks... Could've been such a better draft for them.
stl4life07

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams

OT Greg Robinson so far hasn't lived up to his potential. There's still hope though with him moving to RT and Kromer coaching him up. Hopefully he will be a better RT than he was LT (see Moses of the Redskins who struggled at LT but is playing well at RT and they just gave him a 5yr deal because of it). The Rams didn't pick up Robinson 5th year option so this is essential a make or break season for him.

DT Aaron Donald is one of if not the best defensive linemen in the league. I like to thank everyone who passed on him in the top 12 thinking he was undersize and wouldn't be elite.

CB/S LaMarcus Joyner is playing very well. He is the Rams version of the honey badger of the Cardinals. It is going to be interesting this season to see how he does playing strictly at FS but I trust Wade Phillips decision to move him there. Joyner just make plays no matter where he is at on the field.

HB Tre Mason had a very good rookie season but struggled every season after that. Got into some trouble off the field and has been cut. He was my favorite pick in this draft so I'm sad he didn't pan out.

S Mo Alexander was a pick a lot of Rams fans didn't like because many didn't know about him. Once they found out his story of how he got kicked out of school because of a fight then worked as a janitor at the Edwards Jones Dome in St. Louis just to get back into school the fans got behind him. Fisher knew what he was doing with this pick (being a defensive minded coach) and Alexander has improved every season. PFF rated Alexander as the most improved safety in the NFL in 2016. He is working out very well.

CB EJ Gaines had a great rookie season and had to step in and be a starter because Tru Johnson got hurt at the beginning of the season and missed some games. His sophomore season Gaines missed the entire season with an injury and he came back last season and wasn't as good as he was in his rookie season. Hopefully with Wade Phillips here plus with the addition of ex Denver CB Kayvon Webster coming over to challenge for the starting job that Gaines will play more like he did in his rookie season than he did last season.

The rest of the draft was meh because I think the rest of the draft class isn't still on the roster besides C Demetrius Rhaney whom is a project but reports are that former OL LeCharles Bentley is high on him so hopefully Kromer can get something out of him and it sticks.

As for what I would've like the Rams to have done differently since hindsight is 20/20 pass rusher Khalil Mack at 2 instead of Robinson would've been nice but the Rams wouldn't have drafted Donald at 13 so the Rams would've taken OG/OC Zack Martin which Mack and Martin would've been awesome. Again thats hindsight because at the time Robinson as a prospect was one of the elite players in the draft.

The one thing I wish that would've happened is the Rams trading back into the 1st round to draft Zack Martin. Reports were that Fisher was calling Baltimore to see about trading with them and the targeted player was Martin. He went to Dallas before Baltimore got on the clock. If Dallas took Manziel which some thought Jones would do then maybe the Rams could've acquired the pick from Baltimore to get Martin. They would've gave up a ton of picks but Robinson, Donald, and Martin would've looked very impressive coming out of the 1st round of the 2014 draft that night. Of course the Rams wouldn't have had the 2015 1st round pick which we know they took HB Gurley.

Overall though I really liked the Rams 2014 draft. It was the a very good draft class to come away with an all-pro in Donald, a good versatile defensive back in Joyner, a solid safety and Day 3 gem in Alexander, and another Day 3 gem who showed promise before the season ending injury in CB Gaines. Robinson is still young and still has a chance to find his way at a different position working with a very good OL coach in Kromer.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewAge wrote:
Quincy Enunwa is a stud.

The other eleven picks suck.

Do you even understand how bad this looks Laughing Laughing

Pryor over Cooks, Haha, Verrett, Teddy, Carr

Amaro over A-Rob, Jimmy G. Jarvis Landry

Saunders/Evans over Martavis Bryant

Jeremiah George over McCarron

1/12....holy hell that was bad.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqueze Dennard
Jeremy Hill
Will Clarke
Russell Bodine
AJ McCarron
Marquis Flowers
James Wright
Lavelle Westbrooks

Besides Westbrooks, everyone has played a decent amount snaps for us. Overall no homerun picks but a lot of solid singles.

I'll admit it, I was on the Teddy Bridgewater bandwagon. Even before his injury, I can't say he looked any better than Dalton or for that matter much better than AJ McCarron who we took much later. Guess I'm glad we took Dennard instead, although he hasn't really done jack for us yet.

Aaron Donald. Man, he reminded me of Geno. Who knew he would turn out almost as good as Geno. Wink

Anthony Barr and Eric Ebron. Didn't think they were bad players, but not worth a top 15 pick. I didn't think OBJ would turn into as great of a player as he has either. I thought he was super talented physically but didn't think he was much better than Jarvis Laundry at LSU.

I thought it was a solid draft. I was a fan of Jeremy Hill and he looked good his rookie season, but needless to say he hasn't panned out. Overall, I'm still Ok with the draft.

B-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: