Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears sign DL Jaye Howard
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Madmike90


Moderator
Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 26817
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I still worry about the game-changing positions, which I touched on pre-draft. I'm referring to the positions that can win a game with a TD pass/catch or a late drive, or close out a game with a sack or interception.

QB - now it's Trubisky by default
WR - ???
Pass Rusher - has to be Floyd by default
DB - ???

Without those guys, it's hard to win games.


Truthfully I think if you can get it right at QB then that elevates the receivers...same goes for the pass rush...DBs have a far easier job of covering people when the QB is under pressure...Floyd showed real potential last season...with McPhee dropping weight it should help him get after the QB and stay healthy...Trubisky hopefully doesn't have to see the field till next year.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear...Adrian Amos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 16470
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also argue that once you have a QB everything changes.

The OL is also a huge component not listed above.

The Cowboys have 0 DBs of note and 0 pass rushers of note, but they won a ton of games.

It would be nice to have difference makers at this spots, but that will come over time. But right now we just need to ensure that Trubisky is successful.
_________________
John Fox
3-13 this season, 9-23 overall, 4-12 at home
Pathetic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Moderator
Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 26817
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I would also argue that once you have a QB everything changes.

The OL is also a huge component not listed above.

The Cowboys have 0 DBs of note and 0 pass rushers of note, but they won a ton of games.

It would be nice to have difference makers at this spots, but that will come over time. But right now we just need to ensure that Trubisky is successful.


I think going into 2018 (which is the next season that's really going to matter) LT will be our biggest need...nothing will kill a rookie QB quicker than taking hit after hit...we are really strong and deep on the interior but at OT we struggle...need to address that before we even find Trubisky a weapon on the outside presuming that White or Meredith don't blow up this year.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear...Adrian Amos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bearsfan323


Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 2690
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I would also argue that once you have a QB everything changes.

The OL is also a huge component not listed above.

The Cowboys have 0 DBs of note and 0 pass rushers of note, but they won a ton of games.

It would be nice to have difference makers at this spots, but that will come over time. But right now we just need to ensure that Trubisky is successful.


I think going into 2018 (which is the next season that's really going to matter) LT will be our biggest need...nothing will kill a rookie QB quicker than taking hit after hit...we are really strong and deep on the interior but at OT we struggle...need to address that before we even find Trubisky a weapon on the outside presuming that White or Meredith don't blow up this year.

OT, S, CB, WR and DE in no order
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TankWilliams


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 17054
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I would also argue that once you have a QB everything changes.

The OL is also a huge component not listed above.

The Cowboys have 0 DBs of note and 0 pass rushers of note, but they won a ton of games.

It would be nice to have difference makers at this spots, but that will come over time. But right now we just need to ensure that Trubisky is successful.


I think going into 2018 (which is the next season that's really going to matter) LT will be our biggest need...nothing will kill a rookie QB quicker than taking hit after hit...we are really strong and deep on the interior but at OT we struggle...need to address that before we even find Trubisky a weapon on the outside presuming that White or Meredith don't blow up this year.


I still think you underrate Charles Leno jr. He's not a world-beater but he's certainly capable of keeping Trubisky upright.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 8260
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I would also argue that once you have a QB everything changes.

The OL is also a huge component not listed above.

The Cowboys have 0 DBs of note and 0 pass rushers of note, but they won a ton of games.

It would be nice to have difference makers at this spots, but that will come over time. But right now we just need to ensure that Trubisky is successful.


I think going into 2018 (which is the next season that's really going to matter) LT will be our biggest need...nothing will kill a rookie QB quicker than taking hit after hit...we are really strong and deep on the interior but at OT we struggle...need to address that before we even find Trubisky a weapon on the outside presuming that White or Meredith don't blow up this year.


I still think you underrate Charles Leno jr. He's not a world-beater but he's certainly capable of keeping Trubisky upright.

I laughed when somebody said Pace is trying to rebuild the Saints, but...

Trubisky, the first time I watched him, reminded me of Brees when he was "on."

The running back group is comprised of players with a variety of styles.

The receiver group is a faceless platoon.

The tight end is super a super-athletic receiver-type.

The offensive line is strong on the interior and not world-beaters on the outside.

So it's kind of hard for me to argue against that Saints idea.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 3270
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I would also argue that once you have a QB everything changes.

The OL is also a huge component not listed above.

The Cowboys have 0 DBs of note and 0 pass rushers of note, but they won a ton of games.

It would be nice to have difference makers at this spots, but that will come over time. But right now we just need to ensure that Trubisky is successful.


I think going into 2018 (which is the next season that's really going to matter) LT will be our biggest need...nothing will kill a rookie QB quicker than taking hit after hit...we are really strong and deep on the interior but at OT we struggle...need to address that before we even find Trubisky a weapon on the outside presuming that White or Meredith don't blow up this year.


I still think you underrate Charles Leno jr. He's not a world-beater but he's certainly capable of keeping Trubisky upright.

I laughed when somebody said Pace is trying to rebuild the Saints, but...

Trubisky, the first time I watched him, reminded me of Brees when he was "on."

The running back group is comprised of players with a variety of styles.

The receiver group is a faceless platoon.

The tight end is super a super-athletic receiver-type.

The offensive line is strong on the interior and not world-beaters on the outside.

So it's kind of hard for me to argue against that Saints idea.


Offensively I'm fine with that, we just need to stay away from the defense the Saints have had.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Moderator
Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 26817
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I would also argue that once you have a QB everything changes.

The OL is also a huge component not listed above.

The Cowboys have 0 DBs of note and 0 pass rushers of note, but they won a ton of games.

It would be nice to have difference makers at this spots, but that will come over time. But right now we just need to ensure that Trubisky is successful.


I think going into 2018 (which is the next season that's really going to matter) LT will be our biggest need...nothing will kill a rookie QB quicker than taking hit after hit...we are really strong and deep on the interior but at OT we struggle...need to address that before we even find Trubisky a weapon on the outside presuming that White or Meredith don't blow up this year.


I still think you underrate Charles Leno jr. He's not a world-beater but he's certainly capable of keeping Trubisky upright.


I don't think I underrate him...just see him as someone who will never be more than solid...for me if we really want to see the best out of Trubisky we have to put him behind an elite OL...I would still like to keep Leno after this season to allow a rookie to develop...maybe even push Leno inside to LG when Sitton is done...but I just think an elite LT would really allow Trubisky to settle in.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear...Adrian Amos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bearsfan323


Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 2690
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably overrating them a bit with some bias but isn't...

Howard Goldman Hicks
Floyd Trevathan/Kwiatkoski Freeman Young...

one of the top front 7's in the game?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Moderator
Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 26817
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
Probably overrating them a bit with some bias but isn't...

Howard Goldman Hicks
Floyd Trevathan/Kwiatkoski Freeman Young...

one of the top front 7's in the game?


Change out McPhee for Young and keep everyone 100% then yes...but there are so many injury concerns there.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear...Adrian Amos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MonserinNC


Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 5304
Location: Back in the CHIIII
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:
Probably overrating them a bit with some bias but isn't...

Howard Goldman Hicks
Floyd Trevathan/Kwiatkoski Freeman Young...

one of the top front 7's in the game?


Change out McPhee for Young and keep everyone 100% then yes...but there are so many injury concerns there.


My thoughts exactly
_________________


BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real


Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 8260
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevethan may miss the start of the season.

McPhee is perpetually injured.

Young is invisible at times.

Houston sucks.

It's really all on guys like Freeman, Hicks, Goldman, and Floyd.
_________________
Rotoworld.com wrote:
...internet mock drafts, which have ridiculously become the measuring stick for where players are "supposed" to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Moderator
Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 26817
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Trevethan may miss the start of the season.

McPhee is perpetually injured.

Young is invisible at times.

Houston sucks.

It's really all on guys like Freeman, Hicks, Goldman, and Floyd.


Two guys who also have injury concerns.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear...Adrian Amos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 16470
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Bears will need a new OT in 2018, 2 is probably unrealistic.

I think replacing Massie will be easier. RTs are easier to find, cheaper to pay or draft, and to me Massie being inconsistent is worse than Leno being average. At least you know what to expect from Leno.
_________________
John Fox
3-13 this season, 9-23 overall, 4-12 at home
Pathetic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dll2000


Joined: 04 Apr 2016
Posts: 504
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Trevethan may miss the start of the season.

McPhee is perpetually injured.

Young is invisible at times.

Houston sucks.

It's really all on guys like Freeman, Hicks, Goldman, and Floyd.


Two guys who also have injury concerns.


Downer, but hard truth. Also, plugged a lot of holes with 1 or maybe 2 year journeymen players which will win some games short term but doesnt help talent base of team.

Also, on other side of ball Long's injuries are mounting and have to be getting cumulative. I think they want to move him to tackle again because of inside depth, but probably cant because he is rehabbing. White cant even get started. Seems like Miller is always hurt ...

Jaye Howard was a nice signing IF he can stay healthy. Definitely an unexpected upgrade.

Maybe Fuller will be surprise comeback player of 2017 and win a starting job. He has ability.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group