Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears sign DL Jaye Howard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Bears sign DL Jaye Howard Reply with quote

Adam Schefter‏
Former Chiefs' DL Jaye Howard signed a 1-year deal with the Bears today, per source.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/860274431993761793

^^ props to LBC on the sig Smile
Epyon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears sign DL Jaye Howard Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Adam Schefter‏
Former Chiefs' DL Jaye Howard signed a 1-year deal with the Bears today, per source.

You must have been posting this right as I started making my post since I didn't see this thread when I made mine... stupid slow fingers!

At any rate, huge pickup for us... we really needed it... and probably not a bad deal for him either, since he's practically guaranteed a starting role here.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bears sign DL Jaye Howard Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Adam Schefter‏

You must have been posting this right as I started making my post since I didn't see this thread when I made mine... stupid slow fingers!

At any rate, huge pickup for us... we really needed it... and probably not a bad deal for him either, since he's practically guaranteed a starting role here.

Lol no worries. Yeah it really is. Man our DL is looking really good right now.

^^ props to LBC on the sig Smile
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good signing!
Blaize4488

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears d-line finna eat.
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base: Hicks / Goldman / Howard

Sub: Floyd / Bullard / McPhee / Young

I like it man. Don't forget about Roy Robertson-Harris, dude is up to 285 lbs or so I've seen on the twitter.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Howard is healthy then this is an excellent pick up.
bears2308

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. I wish we would have signed him to a 2 or 3 year deal.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
If Howard is healthy then this is an excellent pick up.

We should be getting the absolute best of the best out of Howard, Hicks and Goldman this year. All 3 stand to land HUGE new contracts if they ball out this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This patches probably the biggest weak spot on the Bears right now and makes the front 7 deeper and more physical.

Tough to upgrade a ton after the draft, but this is one.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another major point is if DT is out for an extended period of time, this really makes it hard to get OL on Freeman and Kwiatkoski (who had stretches where he really got overwhelmed with a blocker).

With some health this could be a solid defensive unit.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
Another major point is if DT is out for an extended period of time, this really makes it hard to get OL on Freeman and Kwiatkoski (who had stretches where he really got overwhelmed with a blocker).

It was actually solid last year in several regards even with all the injuries - 15th in yards per game allowed. 14th in first downs allowed. 12th in total sacks but 7th in sack frequency (4th fewest pass attempts against). That's with Goldman, Floyd, McPhee, Trevathan, Freeman, Houston and Fuller all missing 4 or more games. That's basically 2/3 of our starting defense.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

It was actually solid last year in several regards even with all the injuries - 15th in yards per game allowed. 14th in first downs allowed. 12th in total sacks but 7th in sack frequency (4th fewest pass attempts against). That's with Goldman, Floyd, McPhee, Trevathan, Freeman, Houston and Fuller all missing 4 or more games. That's basically 2/3 of our starting defense.

True but they had the 9th worst YPC against them, gave up the 6th most rushing TDs and rushing yards, and only forced 3 fumbles (3rd worst).

The weak run defense made it easy to move the ball, which is why the passing and total yards are lower against us (as you said 4th fewest attempts). Even so getting only 8 INTs and a league worst 11 turnovers forced shows how mediocre the defense was.

If Pernell gets back to playing as well as he talks, then we have a legitimate pass rush combo at OLB. But I have little faith in Houston and Young. Young had one great stretch but was a ghost for most of the season in the pass rush department. Sad fact - in the league worst turnover total, Young accounted for 2 of our 8 INTs.

With health I think we can threaten a top 10 defense now. I know injuries were the big reason, but defensively we were pretty mediocre last year.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

True but they had the 9th worst YPC against them, gave up the 6th most rushing TDs and rushing yards, and only forced 3 fumbles (3rd worst).

The weak run defense made it easy to move the ball, which is why the passing and total yards are lower against us (as you said 4th fewest attempts). Even so getting only 8 INTs and a league worst 11 turnovers forced shows how mediocre the defense was.

If Pernell gets back to playing as well as he talks, then we have a legitimate pass rush combo at OLB. But I have little faith in Houston and Young. Young had one great stretch but was a ghost for most of the season in the pass rush department. Sad fact - in the league worst turnover total, Young accounted for 2 of our 8 INTs.

With health I think we can threaten a top 10 defense now. I know injuries were the big reason, but defensively we were pretty mediocre last year.

Oh the defense definitely wasn't top notch. I think the ypc against is a direct reflection to being on the field nearly 60% of the game on average, and teams also threw less against us because they were usually winning late. A good offense improves both of those things and puts us in a better position to succeed on defense.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still worry about the game-changing positions, which I touched on pre-draft. I'm referring to the positions that can win a game with a TD pass/catch or a late drive, or close out a game with a sack or interception.

QB - now it's Trubisky by default
WR - ???
Pass Rusher - has to be Floyd by default
DB - ???

Without those guys, it's hard to win games.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: