Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How long will Trubisky and Mahomes sit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
Maybe. I think the rebuild push will be for 2019. They are carrying several of long time starters at his point. We saw in SF how fast that can fall apart, but they have one year left. 2018 will be about retooling the roster.

Using the 2018 year of Smith's contract could soften some of the impact of a transition. That said, in the world of hopes and planning, Mahomes beats Smith out in camp next year. Smith has trade value. He's the ideal backup.

J

You don't even need to trade to get value if Mahomes is ready. Smith leaves, and then he signs even a modest QB contract - 4/72M, let's say. That likely nets KC a comp 3rd pick in 2019. And because KC is tight against the cap, they aren't going to spend huge $ in FA - so they won't have any gained big $ FA contracts.

Given how the 2018 QB class is being viewed, and JimmyG/Cousins/Glennon potentially all hitting the FA market as well (some of them won't, but not all of them will get retained IMO), I don't think you can count on a better result next year (I mean, no one bit on Romo or Cutler, in a weak QB draft class, or JimmyG, because the price for the FA or trade targets was too high than the buyers were willing to pay) - but that scenario above is still fantastic, provided Mahomes is close to ready. Think about it - you don't lose much if anything short-term if he's ready, and long-term you get out of cap hell...and you get a comp pick out of this.

If you wait until 2019, you get more cap hell for 2018, and you also increase the chances Smith doesn't land a big $ - the older he gets, the risk becomes greater. I get keeping Smith if Mahomes shows he's nowhere close, but if he's even close to ready for 2018...well you get the idea.

I agree, it looks like cap hell might force KC to drop Smith in 2018, so they can retain enough $$$'s to remain a contender if Mahomes actually develops. Of course, if that is their plan, then if KC looks like they won't make the playoffs in 2017, Mahomes might well be thrown to the wolves earlier than we expect, if he shows talent, to prepare him for the 2018 season.
samsel23

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 20 Mil over the cap should be used pretty loosely. Spotrac is using the 2017 Cap Floor as its baseline, the Salary Cap will go up once again. We will still be over I'd venture to say that is closer to 5 Mil though.

Not saying it's unlikely this is Smith's last year, but definitely doesn't have to happen.

DJ ain't making 10+ next year he'll either be extending/cut/retired.

Tamba might even be cut as a June 1st this year.

Allen Bailey already has his developmental replacement behind him in Tanoh.

Jay Reid and Demetrius Harris are easily replaceable and would quite a bit.

Just cutting Tamba, Bailey, Reid, and Harris would free up 18+ to get us plenty above the floor. Besides Bailey those guys are easy to replace and Tanoh was drafted for his spot.

Add in possible cuts/extensions for Maclin/DJ and we're fine cap wise without touching Smith's or Houston's contracts. We aren't going to be big players in FA either way, but we won't have to gut the roster at all if we keep Smith.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
That 20 Mil over the cap should be used pretty loosely. Spotrac is using the 2017 Cap Floor as its baseline, the Salary Cap will go up once again. We will still be over I'd venture to say that is closer to 5 Mil though.

Not saying it's unlikely this is Smith's last year, but definitely doesn't have to happen.

Just cutting Tamba, Bailey, Reid, and Harris would free up 18+ to get us plenty above the floor. Besides Bailey those guys are easy to replace and Tanoh was drafted for his spot.

Add in possible cuts/extensions for Maclin/DJ and we're fine cap wise without touching Smith's or Houston's contracts. We aren't going to be big players in FA either way, but we won't have to gut the roster at all if we keep Smith.

Thing is, every team has the same type of scenario - it's not just finding the 20M - it's being competitive enough to address the roster depth that's lost when you cut those guys. Some of those guys have replacements, but it's rare that you go 1-deep and the starter only matters. KC's a very good team because they have depth beyond their starting 11 on either side. When you start 32nd out of 32 teams, all those moves are moves pretty much every other team also can make - so the scale doesn't really change. And yeah, the cap goes up - but that means so do the extensions, and the $ even mid-level FA's get to replace some of the people you are pointing to. It's pretty clear KC won't be a big player next year in FA, for sure - but whether it's by restructure or cutting guys, the impact is there...and even more so because it doesn't really change their place in the cap pecking order. Which when it comes to gaining/losing overall roster talent, definitely matters.

All of which to say - if Mahomes is even close to ready, there's going to be a huge incentive to part ways with Smith. That's the one move that dramatically changes their place in the cap world, without affecting their overall roster depth, the same way 4-5 cuts (or restructures) do.
samsel23

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
samsel23 wrote:

Thing is, every team has the same type of scenario - it's not just finding the 20M - it's being competitive enough to address the roster depth that's lost when you cut those guys. Some of those guys have replacements, but it's rare that you go 1-deep and the starter only matters. KC's a very good team because they have depth beyond their starting 11 on either side. When you start 32nd out of 32 teams, all those moves are moves pretty much every other team also can make - so the scale doesn't really change. And yeah, the cap goes up - but that means so do the extensions, and the $ even mid-level FA's get to replace some of the people you are pointing to. It's pretty clear KC won't be a big player next year in FA, for sure - but whether it's by restructure or cutting guys, the impact is there...and even more so because it doesn't really change their place in the cap pecking order. Which when it comes to gaining/losing overall roster talent, definitely matters.

All of which to say - if Mahomes is even close to ready, there's going to be a huge incentive to part ways with Smith. That's the one move that dramatically changes their place in the cap world, without affecting their overall roster depth, the same way 4-5 cuts (or restructures) do.

I agree if he's ready he'll be the starter, but it doesn't have to happen

But cutting Bailey, Tamba, Harris, and Reid doesn't really do much cutting into our depth. Bailey is really the only one who is a solid contributor anymore and our DL was more than fine without him last year.

We won't be players in free agency, but our cap isn't as bad as it's made out to be... quite a few bubble players that can be let go for cheaper players.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitchell gonna start by week 13/14 when Chicagos like 4-8

Mhomes...only way he plays this year is if KC is playing meaningless football----which i doubt but if they do it'll be really late in the year
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
I feel sorry for Trubisky. He has landed in a bad situation

Why?

He can sit for a year.
He might have the best interior OL in the NFL.
A dominant rushing attack
The weapons are unproven but talented and won't be unproven by 2018
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Trubisky comes in and takes the job with his play then Glennon will start most of if not the entire season.

The national narrative is that the Bears regime needs to win to save their jobs and the Trubisky pick was part of saving their jobs and buying them more years.

That just isn't true. Bears ownership loves Ryan Pace and they have consistently talked about patience in the rebuild and allowing these picks to play out. I think Fox just needs to show some positive steps to keep his job even if they only win 5-6 games.

I don't think nationally people realize the crater that Emery/Trestman left when they were fired.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Unless Trubisky comes in and takes the job with his play then Glennon will start most of if not the entire season.

The national narrative is that the Bears regime needs to win to save their jobs and the Trubisky pick was part of saving their jobs and buying them more years.

That just isn't true. Bears ownership loves Ryan Pace and they have consistently talked about patience in the rebuild and allowing these picks to play out. I think Fox just needs to show some positive steps to keep his job even if they only win 5-6 games.

I don't think nationally people realize the crater that Emery/Trestman left when they were fired.

And you really think if the Bears start 1-6 or worse, that Trubisky will not start game 8. The fans will be howling for him to start and few teams, owners or GM's have ever resisted the temptation to find out, just what they have in a rookie QB, at least by game 8.

Some people are expecting Glennon to be some kind of miracle worker, but he is what he is, a backup QB at best, which is why his money is only guaranteed for 1 season. If I were a Bear's fan, and Trubisky does not start a game next season, it might just indicate that the HC feels Trubisky may never develop into a franchise QB, as a fan I would be really worried that Trubisky just hasn't got it and never will. So you should be praying he starts by game 8, because that means he has a shot to succeed. It is one thing to sit for a year behind a a Favre, it is quite another thing to sit behind a bum and not start.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

And you really think if the Bears start 1-6 or worse, that Trubisky will not start game 8. The fans will be howling for him to start and few teams, owners or GM's have ever resisted the temptation to find out, just what they have in a rookie QB, at least by game 8.

Some people are expecting Glennon to be some kind of miracle worker, but he is what he is, a backup QB at best, which is why his money is only guaranteed for 1 season. If I were a Bear's fan, and Trubisky does not start a game next season, it might just indicate that the HC feels Trubisky may never develop into a franchise QB, as a fan I would be really worried that Trubisky just hasn't got it and never will. So you should be praying he starts by game 8, because that means he has a shot to succeed. It is one thing to sit for a year behind a a Favre, it is quite another thing to sit behind a bum and not start.

If Fox holds autonomy in his on-the-field decisions though, is Fox willing to play a rookie if there's a vet who's serviceable? History hasn't been kind on the rookies' side when a vet option is available. Doesn't mean Trubisky won't get a shot, but Fox's tendencies do have to factor in here.
G08

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I don't think he will, no. In his presser after drafting Trubisky, Pace said there is no competition, Glennon is the starter. I'd be willing to bet that Sanchez will be #2 and Trubisky will be inactive on game days.

He's just not ready, the fans can clamor for all they want, I hope Pace sticks to his guns.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

If the Bears are 1-7 then yes there will be pressure to start Trubisky. Does that mean he will start? Probably not. That's not to say that Trubisky won't be starting in week 8, bc he could shock everybody and win the job out of camp. It just means that neither the FO or the coaching staff is going to give 2 iotas about what fans or media think. As for the Chicago fans, the intelligent ones know that whether or not Trubisky starts this year doesn't say anything about his development. As a matter of fact I'd give it a higher % chance that he doesn't take a snap in 2017 than that John Fox is back in 2018. National media I'm sure will have their narrative, but just like what they tried saying after they were fooled by the Bears in the draft, none of that matters.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

If Fox holds autonomy in his on-the-field decisions though, is Fox willing to play a rookie if there's a vet who's serviceable? History hasn't been kind on the rookies' side when a vet option is available. Doesn't mean Trubisky won't get a shot, but Fox's tendencies do have to factor in here.

I said a 1-7 start or worse, Fox will then turn to his best option for keeping his job and that will definitely involve starting Trubisky by game 8, if Trubisky shows any kind of development. 1st round QB's on losing teams always start by game 8, so the team knows what it has for the following season. Trubisky will fare a lot better in season 2 with a little experience under his belt.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I don't think he will, no. In his presser after drafting Trubisky, Pace said there is no competition, Glennon is the starter. I'd be willing to bet that Sanchez will be #2 and Trubisky will be inactive on game days.

Quote:
GM's always say this before training camp, but football is all about competition and winning and you can bet, they would love it if Trubisky seized the reins and took the job on opening day. But likely he will be given the job by game 8 if the team is looking ugly, which under Glennon is very likely.

He's just not ready, the fans can clamor for all they want, I hope Pace sticks to his guns.

I'll be shocked if Trubisky isn't starting by game 8, this is the way the NFL does it with highly drafted QB's. Just go back and see if you can find a highly drafted QB on a losing team, who got to sit for a whole season and then became a franchise QB. Very, very rare species. Losing teams absolutely want to give a rookie some experience going into his 2nd season if he shows anything.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

If the Bears are 1-7 then yes there will be pressure to start Trubisky. Does that mean he will start? Probably not. That's not to say that Trubisky won't be starting in week 8, bc he could shock everybody and win the job out of camp. It just means that neither the FO or the coaching staff is going to give 2 iotas about what fans or media think. As for the Chicago fans, the intelligent ones know that whether or not Trubisky starts this year doesn't say anything about his development. As a matter of fact I'd give it a higher % chance that he doesn't take a snap in 2017 than that John Fox is back in 2018. National media I'm sure will have their narrative, but just like what they tried saying after they were fooled by the Bears in the draft, none of that matters.

All I am pointing out is that it is common practice to start a highly drafted QB by game 8 on a losing team. The experience gained will help his development significantly and make the transition to his 2nd season a lot more comfortable.

As I pointed out above, losing teams start their highly drafted QB's by game 8 if they show any development during the season. Go find a losing team that waited till the 2nd season to start a highly drafted QB, they are a rare species.

Obviously, the Bears and Pace in particular, strongly believe in Trubisky and I suspect, he will definitely compete for he starting job right out of training camp if he is any type of competitor which I believe he is. If Glennon gets off to a good start then likely Trubisky will have to wait awhile before getting a shot, but in all likelihood, Glennon does squat, then the pressure will mount to start Trubisky as it has for every losing team who drafted a QB high in the draft and Chicago will be no different.

Worse yet, the only reason a highly drafted QB has failed to start for a losing team by game 8, is because he has shown squat in developing during the season and his career is already headed for failure.

I would be scared as a Chicago fan if the Bears are a weak team under Glennon and do not start Trubisky by game 8. it would clearly signal to me that he is a potential flop and has shown little development during the season. Teams want to know what they have for the following season and will want to give Trubisky some experience as a starter, so it will prepare him to be the full time starter in season 2.

I cannot see any way, Trubisky does not start sometime in season 1, unless Glennon proves to be a miracle worker which I highly doubt. The only high drafted QB's who get to sit a whole year, play for very successful teams who already have a franchise QB as their starter, a la Favre/Rodgers. losing teams do not have that luxury.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

All I am pointing out is that it is common practice to start a highly drafted QB by game 8 on a losing team. The experience gained will help his development significantly and make the transition to his 2nd season a lot more comfortable.

As I pointed out above, losing teams start their highly drafted QB's by game 8 if they show any development during the season. Go find a losing team that waited till the 2nd season to start a highly drafted QB, they are a rare species.

Obviously, the Bears and Pace in particular, strongly believe in Trubisky and I suspect, he will definitely compete for he starting job right out of training camp if he is any type of competitor which I believe he is. If Glennon gets off to a good start then likely Trubisky will have to wait awhile before getting a shot, but in all likelihood, Glennon does squat, then the pressure will mount to start Trubisky as it has for every losing team who drafted a QB high in the draft and Chicago will be no different.

Worse yet, the only reason a highly drafted QB has failed to start for a losing team by game 8, is because he has shown squat in developing during the season and his career is already headed for failure.

I would be scared as a Chicago fan if the Bears are a weak team under Glennon and do not start Trubisky by game 8. it would clearly signal to me that he is a potential flop and has shown little development during the season. Teams want to know what they have for the following season and will want to give Trubisky some experience as a starter, so it will prepare him to be the full time starter in season 2.

I cannot see any way, Trubisky does not start sometime in season 1, unless Glennon proves to be a miracle worker which I highly doubt. The only high drafted QB's who get to sit a whole year, play for very successful teams who already have a franchise QB as their starter, a la Favre/Rodgers. losing teams do not have that luxury.
I'm going to be honest with you, if the Bears are 1-7, John Fox is getting fired at the bye, Vic Fangio is taking over as interim HC, and he's going to want to win as many games as possible to show that he deserves to be the permanent HC, which means he's starting Glennon likely. The only way I see Tru starting before week 13 or 14 is if he wins the job in camp, and he very well might. We'll see I guess.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: