You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do you feel about the RB situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NCPackFan


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 4473
Location: Quahog, RI
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
Back on topic:

In the 2nd half of 2014, the Packers went on an 8-2 run that included:

300 rushes for 1391 yards @ 4.6 per carry

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2014.htm


Can the 2017 Packers deliver that running game ?


If Montgomery stays healthy, I can't see why not. Obviously the line as well. Both Williams and Jones should provide tremendous spell options.


Can't wait to take a long look at Monty come camp. I've been told He's about 225lbs right now and will turn heads! He is also a full year removed from ankle surgery. I would have passed on the idea of moving a WR like Monty in there year's back. These are changing times though and I'm intrigued as hell. Monty sure is the perfect candidate to try it with. Smart, hard working, right body, and his game was never gonna be at a premium at WR because of his boundary skills or lack there of....


Before that ankle issue, Monty was the jackknife of the offense. He was split out and then basically took over Cobb's role in the backfield because he was more explosive. Not sure how I feel about him showing up to camp at 225.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 15462
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
.
Here's Monty's highlight reel for 2016, includes some big plays vs bears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5hVRADAf-U

What happens with Monty and others with the sickle-cell trait, is that they have one defective copy of the gene that codes for hemoglobin and one good copy.
So they have both "sickle" red cells and non-sickle red cells circulating through their system.
( instead of a circle, the red cells look like a sickle or crescent shape, see image below)

Normal red blood cells "deform" themselves in order to squeeze into and through the tiny micro-capillaries, thus delivering oxygen and removing CO2/ waste products . When you have sickle cells, they don't deform as well and they can't get deep into the muscles - this leads to lack of oxygen and a build- up of wastes, especially during heavy exertion.
So Monty may have a lower oxygen-carrying capacity vs a non-sickle athlete. Not sure how/when this manifests itself during the course of a game

The linked research paper from Cadmus also suggests that under heavy exertion and oxygen depletion, even some of the healthy red blood cells will sickle too.
So under normal conditions, Monty is fine. Under exertion or dehydration, the risk profile changes.

During heavy exertion, he may struggle and GB has to manage that because there are some nasty sequela that can arise in these patients.
Including issues in kidney, liver and rhabdomyelosis - which involves destruction of skeletal muscle. Not a good thing for an NFL athlete

Managing hydration and exertion levels (up-tempo offense) are part of his future in GB and fortunately he has the best care and advice available.




I'm thinking your getting a bit held up by the sickle cell thing. This is FAR more common than you might think around the league. More often than not it never becomes an issue. Not sure I'd let Monty play in Denver but other than that....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1583
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:

So Monty may have a lower oxygen-carrying capacity vs a non-sickle athlete. Not sure how/when this manifests itself during the course of a game

During heavy exertion, he may struggle and GB has to manage that


I'm thinking your getting a bit held up by the sickle cell thing. This is FAR more common than you might think around the league. More often than not it never becomes an issue. Not sure I'd let Monty play in Denver but other than that....


Fair enough.
I tried to use words like "may" in my commentary. Mostly I was just trying to shine a little light on what having the trait is all about. Monty did have some kidney complications last year, cost him some game time. Didn't intend to paint an overly dire picture, so thanks for the feedback
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrBobGray


Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 1737
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
Back on topic:

In the 2nd half of 2014, the Packers went on an 8-2 run that included:

300 rushes for 1391 yards @ 4.6 per carry

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2014.htm


Can the 2017 Packers deliver that running game ?


If Montgomery stays healthy, I can't see why not. Obviously the line as well. Both Williams and Jones should provide tremendous spell options.


Can't wait to take a long look at Monty come camp. I've been told He's about 225lbs right now and will turn heads! He is also a full year removed from ankle surgery. I would have passed on the idea of moving a WR like Monty in there year's back. These are changing times though and I'm intrigued as hell. Monty sure is the perfect candidate to try it with. Smart, hard working, right body, and his game was never gonna be at a premium at WR because of his boundary skills or lack there of....


Before that ankle issue, Monty was the jackknife of the offense. He was split out and then basically took over Cobb's role in the backfield because he was more explosive. Not sure how I feel about him showing up to camp at 225.


He took over Cobb's role in the backfield because he was about 15-20 pounds heavier. I feel like there's this mindset that Monty was a little guy who's bulking up to play RB, and that's just really not the case. Monty weighed in at 221 at the combine and still had a 40.5" vert and a sub 7.00 3-cone. He tried to cut some weight to play receiver, but the guy likes having the weight on. Keeping him out of the weight room is the hard part.

And he's almost certainly getting the first crack at being the starting RB; he's not a gadget player anymore and that won't be his role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrBobGray


Joined: 08 Jan 2007
Posts: 1737
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy, if you think it's not the sickle cell (which I absolutely believe), do you have any insight on why he loses his speed so quickly on long runs? There's just been a weird number of plays where he gets in the open field and accelerates away from everybody, only to have them catch him from behind a few seconds later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlexGreen#20


Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 13518
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBobGray wrote:
palmy, if you think it's not the sickle cell (which I absolutely believe), do you have any insight on why he loses his speed so quickly on long runs? There's just been a weird number of plays where he gets in the open field and accelerates away from everybody, only to have them catch him from behind a few seconds later.


I'm not Palmy, but I think the answer to your question is that he's not track fast. A RB who knows where he's going and gets there quickly and in control will always look to break away as they blow past people moving parallel to the line. It's when guys start moving in the same direction that 4.55 speed becomes slow in comparison to NFL DBs.
_________________
BroncoinGermany wrote:
From the day he was born and subsequently starting to grow into his short neck, round face, scruffy beard and pale face, Bulaga was destined to be a Packers O-Linemen for life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 15462
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
MrBobGray wrote:
palmy, if you think it's not the sickle cell (which I absolutely believe), do you have any insight on why he loses his speed so quickly on long runs? There's just been a weird number of plays where he gets in the open field and accelerates away from everybody, only to have them catch him from behind a few seconds later.


I'm not Palmy, but I think the answer to your question is that he's not track fast. A RB who knows where he's going and gets there quickly and in control will always look to break away as they blow past people moving parallel to the line. It's when guys start moving in the same direction that 4.55 speed becomes slow in comparison to NFL DBs.


Pretty much. Like many in Monty's mold, he's more quick than fast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seanjoneslocker


Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Posts: 467
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has always stood out to me about Montgomery is his ability to be elusive. I just remember his highlight tape when we drafted him, I got bored watching him find at least 6 YAC on every play. People also like to blame the 2015 offense on Jordy being injured, but it really took the hit when Montgomery went down. We were still generating decent offense that first 5 or 6 games as I recall.
His size is perfect for RB, but I agree there is something that seems different, maybe his upright running? I fear that teams didn't take him seriously and that may cause a shift, but so far his production and skills look the part of a nice Packer receiving back.
_________________
"mybed.com is reporting that im trying to sleep"
-aaron rodgers

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1583
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Wood at PackersNews with an excellent article on Monty's offseason transformation

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/31/inside-ty-montgomerys-rb-metamorphosis/358722001/

"Montgomery said he felt like a rookie entering his first offseason, which wasn’t far from reality. A year ago, ankle surgery kept him in a walking boot until July. He didn’t run for months. Forget being unable to train as a tailback. Montgomery couldn’t prepare for the season, period."

“When he came in,” Abadie said, “we thought, ‘This dude is huge.’ He had the broad shoulders, he had the kind of thick bones, thick legs, big arms. Everything just structurally was bigger than most of your receivers. So we looked at him and were like, ‘Man, he could play running back if he added 10 pounds.’”

Lots more in the article
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chili


Joined: 13 May 2014
Posts: 621
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust the source at all but might as well post it on here:
Quote:

Running back Doug Martin was suspended for four games for PED usage at the tail end of last season and there was talk he could be traded before the 2017 NFL Draft.

The Draft has been and gone and Martin still remains on the Buccaneers rosters, as Tampa Bay failed to secure a suitable replacement vis the draft.

The Green Bay Packers also failed to have improved their Running Back situation via the draft and after losing Eddie Lacy to Seattle via free agency are now looking for a lead back and with the free agency options slim, a trade is their only real option.

Because Martin was suspended, his previously guaranteed $7 million base salary for the 2017 season is no longer guaranteed. Additionally, Martin is banned until Week 3 of the 2017 season and are expected to role with Jacquizz Rodgers as their starter with Charles Sims as their change of pace back.

It is understood the Packers have made contact with the Buccaneers to start discussions on a possible trade option and have gone as far as to say ‘Name your Price’.

Martin would provide the packers a genuine running game and take some of the pressure off star quarterback Aaron Rodgers to move the chains all by his lonesome.

The Packers current running backs on the depth chart are Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones and Devante Mays. Although Ty Montgomery produced some excitement in 2016, the packers still need a lead back to keep the chains moving and Doug Martin could be the perfect solution.

https://sportstalk360.com/green-bay-consider-doug-martin-trade/


It's so stupid. I'm guessing this "journalist" thinks that if a team doesn't draft a position in the first round, they didn't address it. Laughing If we didn't like any of our RBs why even waste a draft pick on them at all? Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cakeshoppe


Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 2637
Location: California
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we spent draft capital on 4 running backs in one offseason (In addition to signing then cutting Micheal) I'd throw a fit. We won't though. #fakenews
_________________


svp wrote:
svp@svp superbowl

Bias Disclaimer: Green Bay Packers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1583
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...former Green Bay Packers RB Brandon Jackson is back with the organization as a coaching intern"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wgbeethree


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 3945
Location: Denver, CO via Racine, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
"...former Green Bay Packers RB Brandon Jackson is back with the organization as a coaching intern"


One of the best in the business at pass protection. I hope Ty is glued to his hip.
_________________

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1583
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more comments on Ty, from SI

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/02/nfl-ty-montgomery-green-bay-packers-running-backs-darrelle-revis-love-football-ricardo-lockette

"I did some reporting on the Packers before the NFC championship game but didn’t get to use it after they lost to the Falcons.
One story, from Shannon Turley, Director of Sports Performance at Stanford, Montgomery’s alma mater, stood out. He said a scout from the Arizona Cardinals called him before the Packers drafted Montgomery in the third round in 2015 and said Montgomery would have been graded higher as a running back, and that players with his body type at wide receiver (6-0, 216) hadn’t fared well in the NFL. "
“Mark my words,” the scout told Turley. “You’re going to see the day that he plays running back.”
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donzo


Joined: 05 Aug 2015
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:

I don't trust the source at all but might as well post it on here:

Quote:
It is understood the Packers have made contact with the Buccaneers to start discussions on a possible trade option and have gone as far as to say ‘Name your Price’.

It's so stupid. I'm guessing this "journalist" thinks that if a team doesn't draft a position in the first round, they didn't address it. Laughing If we didn't like any of our RBs why even waste a draft pick on them at all? Laughing



LOL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group