Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do you feel about the RB situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2327
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I like that people are warming to Jamaal. One of the few I really wanted.


I was a little shocked by the hate his way in my mailbox to tell the truth. We really liked him in our room. LIS, those final marks go day2 more years than not. This was just a very deep RB class. Williams final marks were right there with the others after the first few though. It was more about styles than final marks and Williams just isn't very sexy.


I think you could say the same thing about the Rookie RBs as a whole. The group has substance, but they lack flash. It seems like each rookie lacks any of the standout features that would lead you to believe there's a high probability they can develop into studs at the next level.

Solid, but unspectacular seems like a good way to classify the Rookie RBs.

Monty has by far the most potential of the group, but I have serious questions about the durability. I don't question Monty's talent, but I'm not sure he can be a 15+ touch RB and hold-up throughout the season.

I guess we'll see.


Last edited by Cadmus on Sat May 06, 2017 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skibrett15


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 2524
Location: nibelheim
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

utep guy Jones seems to have flash to me. High end hands and really good burst. Was very impressed with the texas game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1415
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:

Monty has by far the most potential of the group, but I have serious questions about the durability. I don't question Monty's talent, but I'm not sure he can be a 15+ touch RB and hold-up throughout the season.

The key is to both understand and manage Ty's hydration and exertion levels

On the exertion side, GB drafted 3 RBs, so there are guys to rotate
Also on the exertion side, both MM and AR have alluded to the Packers using a wider variety of personnel packages in 2017 than in the past.
That means less hurry-up and more subbing in between plays.
That lowers his exertion level too

More subbing, more time between plays and a deeper depth chart can help keep Monty from over-exertion and the other issues that come with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 15452
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty is a very talented athlete. He's also very easy to pull for in general. I can see why this staff wants to give Monty every opportunity to make something of himself at RB. They might have something special if they can get the vision to grade even close to league average. Just like it was trying to teach Monty boundary skills though, we're not talking about an easy task here. Sure are some good parts to work with there and by all accounts Monty is a very hard worker.

Three of the four RB's they just brought in left their schools as the all time leading rushers in said programs. Something tells me this Packers staff will be able to figure this thing out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cannondale


Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Monty would be used more out of the backfield as a receiver. Thats something that has been lost in this offense for a pretty long time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 15452
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cannondale wrote:
I thought Monty would be used more out of the backfield as a receiver. Thats something that has been lost in this offense for a pretty long time.


Monty's IQ and hands both grade elite at position played(RB). Pretty sure with reps this won't be a problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopackgonerd


Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 1281
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Monty is a very talented athlete. He's also very easy to pull for in general. I can see why this staff wants to give Monty every opportunity to make something of himself at RB. They might have something special if they can get the vision to grade even close to league average. Just like it was trying to teach Monty boundary skills though, we're not talking about an easy task here. Sure are some good parts to work with there and by all accounts Monty is a very hard worker.

Three of the four RB's they just brought in left their schools as the all time leading rushers in said programs. Something tells me this Packers staff will be able to figure this thing out.
Guy is really smart, being that this will be his 2nd year as a NFL running back I can't wait to see how much he's improved. Do you think Aaron Jones will do anything this year? Barring injuries ofc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wgbeethree


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 3924
Location: Denver, CO via Racine, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Cadmus wrote:

Monty has by far the most potential of the group, but I have serious questions about the durability. I don't question Monty's talent, but I'm not sure he can be a 15+ touch RB and hold-up throughout the season.

The key is to both understand and manage Ty's hydration and exertion levels

On the exertion side, GB drafted 3 RBs, so there are guys to rotate
Also on the exertion side, both MM and AR have alluded to the Packers using a wider variety of personnel packages in 2017 than in the past.
That means less hurry-up and more subbing in between plays
.
That lowers his exertion level too

More subbing, more time between plays and a deeper depth chart can help keep Monty from over-exertion and the other issues that come with it.


Not sure if what they are saying means what you think it does. They love the hurry up offense. I've heard them both allude to this recently but I wonder how they are going to implement it. In the past they've seemed to tend to do things on a drive by drive basis package wise rather than play by play. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
_________________

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1415
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:

Not sure if what they are saying means what you think it does. They love the hurry up offense. I've heard them both allude to this recently but I wonder how they are going to implement it. In the past they've seemed to tend to do things on a drive by drive basis package wise rather than play by play. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Agreed, and GB has tended to do things drive by drive so they can get the matchup/defensive personnel they want on the field - and then bludgeon them with the hurry up.
So I may be off on that idea of more intra-series subbing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cakeshoppe


Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 2625
Location: California
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:

Not sure if what they are saying means what you think it does. They love the hurry up offense. I've heard them both allude to this recently but I wonder how they are going to implement it. In the past they've seemed to tend to do things on a drive by drive basis package wise rather than play by play. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Agreed, and GB has tended to do things drive by drive so they can get the matchup/defensive personnel they want on the field - and then bludgeon them with the hurry up.
So I may be off on that idea of more intra-series subbing
Not to mention the kind of flexibility we can have within the same personel groupings player-wise. We have a WR who has had success out of the backfield, a RB who spent a year in the recievers room, and a TE who can cause problems for defenses as both a blocker and a receiver now. Our main "11" group on the depth chart has all 5 guys that can split out and 3 that you can find a place for in the backfield.
_________________


svp wrote:
svp@svp superbowl

Bias Disclaimer: Green Bay Packers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boratt


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 988
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have Bennett, Ripkowski, Montgomery, Nelson and Adams on the field we can do all sorts of things too. Montgomery can go to the slot, Bennett can move from inline out to a slot position too. Then we're isolating Ripkowski as the lone RB against a small front. We can pass from the same set if a team has vulnerable pass defenders on the field.

Or we could put rip at FB, Monty at RB, slide Bennett in-line and have two good blocking WRs to attack the ground game and play action out of.....

There are all sorts of things we can do with the versatility. Rip, Bennett, Montgomery, Cobb, Nelson (great blocker) are all extremely versatile pieces. Cobb and Montgomery are similar to each other but slightly different enough to create a little different dynamic depending on which is on the field.

Lots of options. And Kendricks has some versatility too. Put him in there instead of ripper and you can do some things too.

If we can find a solution at RG, I think we could be at or near the top of the league in offense. Obviously AR and MM are on point with what they do and will be able to exploit defenses with these versatile players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ragnarok


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 851
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our run game should be upgraded over last year. Ty has another year to learn the position, Rip is a solid, consistent player, and I'll bet that one of the 3 RBs pans out into an above average back that can handle 40% or so of the snaps.
_________________
Come join BDL!

Seriously, we're awesome. We all may or may not have mild-at-best psychological issues, but we are damn fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CactusPackFan


Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 792
Location: AZ
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if any of these backs is solid in pass protection? Right now, the only solid one in Pass Pro is Rip. Seems to me, if we decide to put in RIP on anything but 3rd and 1, it will be obvious we are passing. I truly hope that at least 2 of these guys we picked can handle pass protection. Anyone have film on any of them in pass pro?
_________________


Special Thanks To Jordyzzz for the awesome sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajdodge09


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 4881
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CactusPackFan wrote:
Anyone know if any of these backs is solid in pass protection? Right now, the only solid one in Pass Pro is Rip. Seems to me, if we decide to put in RIP on anything but 3rd and 1, it will be obvious we are passing. I truly hope that at least 2 of these guys we picked can handle pass protection. Anyone have film on any of them in pass pro?


Williams was definitely used in pass pro at BYU. Very willing but needs to work a bit on technique. He could be good to very good in pass pro in a year or two.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCPackFan


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 4428
Location: Quahog, RI
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdodge09 wrote:
CactusPackFan wrote:
Anyone know if any of these backs is solid in pass protection? Right now, the only solid one in Pass Pro is Rip. Seems to me, if we decide to put in RIP on anything but 3rd and 1, it will be obvious we are passing. I truly hope that at least 2 of these guys we picked can handle pass protection. Anyone have film on any of them in pass pro?


Williams was definitely used in pass pro at BYU. Very willing but needs to work a bit on technique. He could be good to very good in pass pro in a year or two.


I'm convinced the RB's we brought in were brought in solely on their strengths. We'll see a RB-by-committee approach this year with Monty as the clear starter, which will allow these younger guys to develop and improve upon their weaknesses while maximizing their strengths. One of the so-called experts on NFL Network thinks that Williams stands to fare better than most day 3 picks given the situation he is entering.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group