Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do you feel about the RB situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better than I did pre draft at least!

I think Montgomery can be a #1 back in this offense, and McCarthy can do what he wants, not having a back that needs to be "fed". It was the depth that was an issue, because I had zero faith in Christine Michael and Don Jackson is JAG. Jamal Williams looks like a guy with a solid all around game, and if he can pass block, that means he can be an immediate part of the rotation. Jones and Mays are great prospects as a #3 back with lots of upside for each of them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vegas492

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Much better than I did pre draft at least!

I think Montgomery can be a #1 back in this offense, and McCarthy can do what he wants, not having a back that needs to be "fed". It was the depth that was an issue, because I had zero faith in Christine Michael and Don Jackson is JAG. Jamal Williams looks like a guy with a solid all around game, and if he can pass block, that means he can be an immediate part of the rotation. Jones and Mays are great prospects as a #3 back with lots of upside for each of them.

After watching more film, Williams really looks the part. Looks like a man who won't fear any kind of contact, be it running the ball or blocking. As you said, solid.
If the guy had an extra gear he'd be something special. But man, even his long runs look pretty slow on tape. That's my only knock on him. And to be fair, he's a lot faster than Eddie!
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that people are warming to Jamaal. One of the few I really wanted.

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:

Somebody said Vegas has him at 1/12 odds to win rookie of the year. If that doesn't boost expectations, I don't know what will. I don't know if that's true, and if it's true I don't know what they know that we don't, but that's gotta mean something because I don't understand how a 4th round draft pick could have those kinds of odds over every player taken in rounds one, two and three.
lrs3

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:

Somebody said Vegas has him at 1/12 odds to win rookie of the year. If that doesn't boost expectations, I don't know what will. I don't know if that's true, and if it's true I don't know what they know that we don't, but that's gotta mean something because I don't understand how a 4th round draft pick could have those kinds of odds over every player taken in rounds one, two and three.

L.Fournette +400
C.McCaffrey +550
D.Watson +600
C.Davis +800
D.Cook +800
M.Williams +1200
J.Mixon +1200
J.Williams +1400
D.Kizer +1400
J.Ross +1400
M.Trubisky +1600
K.Hunt +1600
O.Howard +2000
P.Mahomes +2000
C.Samuel +2500
E.Engram +2500
Z.Jones +2500

Per Bovada - expecting a big impact/lots of touches for Williams
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:

I was a little shocked by the hate his way in my mailbox to tell the truth. We really liked him in our room. LIS, those final marks go day2 more years than not. This was just a very deep RB class. Williams final marks were right there with the others after the first few though. It was more about styles than final marks and Williams just isn't very sexy.
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
honestly like him more than Perine & had I watched anything prior to draft day would've elicited a more joyous reaction at time of pick

a nice man that goes under the alias Jaguarfan made this for me
skibrett15

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arian Foster on the inside zone, without the arian foster outside zone ability? Not quite the receiver either.

I don't hate the starks comparisons either; he's certainly more of loper-strider type runner. Seems very smooth.
DocHambone

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im good with Williams getting about 45% of the carries, Monty about 40%, Jones and RIP the final 15%. Still though, see Monty as the 'starter'. Expect Williams to close out the games.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
honestly like him more than Perine & had I watched anything prior to draft day would've elicited a more joyous reaction at time of pick

Definitely liked Jamaal Williams more, felt that you were more likely to find a starting-caliber RB out of Jamaal Williams. Always felt that Semaje Perine needed to be a part of a two-back system with someone like Jamaal Charles. Quite frankly, I think Perine would have been a great fit with Ty Montgomery. Wish Williams was more established as a receiver, but if that were the case he probably would have gone higher.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:

I was a little shocked by the hate his way in my mailbox to tell the truth. We really liked him in our room. LIS, those final marks go day2 more years than not. This was just a very deep RB class. Williams final marks were right there with the others after the first few though. It was more about styles than final marks and Williams just isn't very sexy.
Which I am MORE than ok with. Having a solid running game is perfect for this offense. We have a ton invested at QB and WR, I'm great with a cheap stable of solid, young backs.

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how anyone couldn't be happy with Williams in the 4th. Great value on a great player. Really excited for him and Jones!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:

And not just this year's RB class depth, but lets not forget the depth of the RB position in the previous two years. 2016 offered Elliott, Henry, Drake Prosise, Ervin, Dixon, and Booker in the first 4 Rounds, as well as 6 5th Rounders, 2 6th Rounders, and 4 7th Rounders. 2015 offered Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, Abdullah, Coleman, Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Jones, Langford, Allen and Davis in the first 4 Rounds, as well as 4 5ths, a 6th, and 3 7ths. I think it was really the 2015 class that answered RB need for a lot of teams. (Players like David Cobb and Jay Ajayi went in the 5th Round that year.)

My worry with the Packers is that Montgomery has not proven he can be a full time RB without getting hurt. In fact, when asked to be the man, he was tough as nails, but he did get hurt. We saw this with Starks where he could stay healthy as a backup but as soon as he was asked to be the man he went down with an injury without fail.

And while I do agree that RB is one of the easier positions to project to the next level, and I think it's pretty reasonable to expect something out of a rookie RB, blocking assignments are not easy for rookies to pick up, and we may be depending on them heavily in pass-blocking. We may have to resort to Ripkowski on some obvious passing downs if we want an extra blocker, but that's far from ideal.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
And while I do agree that RB is one of the easier positions to project to the next level, and I think it's pretty reasonable to expect something out of a rookie RB, blocking assignments are not easy for rookies to pick up, and we may be depending on them heavily in pass-blocking. We may have to resort to Ripkowski on some obvious passing downs if we want an extra blocker, but that's far from ideal.

That's why Williams in particular has me excited. If he can pass block reasonably well, even grading on a rookie curve, he will have a solid role and lighten a lot of pressure.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CWood21

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
That's why Williams in particular has me excited. If he can pass block reasonably well, even grading on a rookie curve, he will have a solid role and lighten a lot of pressure.

Honestly, I spent way too much time last night focusing on Jamaal Williams and his pass protection. And after watching a couple of games, I really think he's miserable in this regard. I mean, don't get me wrong he seems to give good effort but in terms of technique he's a mess. Too many times you see him lunging at a defender, and a small sidestep leaves him looking like a fool. I'm not sure how much burn he's going to get if he can't offer 3-down value. And given that he's not very established as a receiver, I wouldn't be surprised if it took him a while to crack the rotation despite being an earlier pick. He's probably the most natural runner of our three RB picks, but he's got a LONG ways to go before he's ready for 3rd down and I think that is going to keep him from gaining Mac's trust.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: