You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do you feel about the RB situation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: How do you feel about the RB situation? Reply with quote

Pretty straightforward question:

1) For the 2017 NFL Season
2) Long-term

Current RBs on the Roster

Ty Montgomery
Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Devante Mays
Kalif Phillips

Aaron Ripkowski (FB)
Joe Kerridge (FB)

I'll make sure to add my thoughts once we get the discussion started.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're fine in the near term and 4 years from now they can just draft some new RBs.

The offense is never going to go through the running game as long as we have what we have at QB.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly beaming with Montgomery being the only back we have with NFL experience... But Lacy was alright his rookie year. This might be a rough year for the backs room. I except Rip to get essentially every passing down to start the year

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much will depend on health. If Montgomery can stay out of the trainers room I don't think we will miss a beat. I think the rookie tandem of Williams/Jones bring some good qualities to the table. I see Williams getting a lot of work on early downs and short yardage, and Jones providing a change of pace here and there. It should be a solid trio. Montgomery was pretty impressive at times last year and in the playoffs. He's got some serious upside. You worry about having to fall back to rookies should he get injured, but both are highly experiences college backs at a position where rookies have been known to flourish. Long-term I think Aaron Jones have will have a shot at being a high quality starting back.

Last edited by {Family Ghost} on Thu May 04, 2017 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) For the 2017 NFL Season
Lukewarm, I'd give our current group of RBs a B-. I'm high on Monty and think he has potentially elite vision. He's an exceptional athlete, obviously receiver quality hands, and he's assignment sure. Where he worries me is pass protection and durability. Can he handle 225+ carries into January-February? I don't think he can, and I'm aware of his size and physique.

I like Williams' style as a complement, though, and the staff really needed someone like him to relieve some of the strain on Monty on early downs. Ty is at his best, IMO, against subpackages and in our 11 personnel. Williams should handle our 12, 21 packages and give us those four or five hard yards. If I had to guess, Williams factors in sort of like Starks did in January 2011. When the weather hardens we'll see his impact (and the game should slow down by then).

The other guys [Jones, Mays] might factor in but one is PS in 2017-18. The question is whether any of them has ST upside.

2) Long-term
Also skeptical. I think Jamaal can be supplanted with a day 2 pick next year. Monty I'll always prefer as a complementary back/matchup threat in the mold of a James White or Dion Lewis. Get your skill guys/athletes in space on slower LBs or run it on an undermanned defensive front with Bennett/Kendricks as additional protection. Point is, Monty's value is highest when he's a tertiary threat, not our lead back. It's a matchup league and Monty's our nightmare.

Current RBs on the Roster

Ty Montgomery
Jamaal Williams
Aaron Jones
Devante Mays
Kalif Phillips

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Cadmus

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary concern with Monty as the lead back: Exertional Rhabdomyolysis associated with Sickle Cell Trait.

The Situation in 2016: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/10/31/ty-montgomery-dealing-sickle-cell-trait/93082702/

What I said about Monty during the 2016 Season.

Cadmus wrote:
I just want to clarify that when I said to Norm I can't be 100% sure that rhabdomyolysis is what Monty was dealing with I didn't mean it to be construed as "sure that could be it, but I have no idea"... it was meant to be interpreted as "I'm 95%+ sure that's the problem, but there's no way to be certain without charts/additional information that we (obviously) don't have access to".

I figured most people in here wouldn't be particularly interested in a detailed response/explanation of the problem. If you guys are looking for something more in depth then let me know, but here's the basics.

Exertional Rhabdomyolysis

Blood in Urine? Check
Kidney-related ailment? Check
Related to Sickle Cell Trait? Check

I'm sure I'm missing a few others, but it should also be noted that how they managed his reps/participation following the initial diagnosis would further support the notion of Monty dealing with rhabdo.

The Research.

Quote:
However, sickle cell trait was associated with a 54% greater risk of exertional rhabdomyolysis (HR, 1.54), Dr. Nelson and his associates noted.

If you are interested in the article I pulled the quote from.

http://www.mdedge.com/hematologynews/article/111040/bleeding-disorders/sickle-cell-trait-raises-exertional-rhabdomyolysis

The DOI for the actual study can be found in the article.
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's fine. at least we have bodies back there. not excited about the group, but it'll do until we can get a legit starter hopefully next offseason.

or who knows maybe jamaal or aaron will surprise and be a legit 20 touches per game type guy
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have felt fine about it if we went into the season with Montgomery, Michael, Jackson and more undrafted free agents. Now I feel like we won't have 9,000 billion million Packer fans screaming for us to take every damn running back prospect in every damn round and complaining every damn time we pass on one. And that makes me happy because I can't stand how overrated the running back position is here.

I felt before we drafted all the running backs that Montgomery was going to be a 1,000 yard rushing back, and I still think he will be. Having Williams and Jones as his backup and Mays probably on the practice squad, I think we'll be better off than we need to be.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine. It's similar to what the Saints and Patriots have done for years. Different types of backs that will get different work loads in different games. My biggest question is who is the pass protector? We have to remember we won a Super Bowl with James Starks, Brandon Jackson and John Kuhn. But they filled roles, run game, pass catching and pass pro.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's start by saying, it'll be a hell of a lot better than last year.

I am higher on Monty than most. No reason he can't be a feature back at 6' 215 lbs. 5.9 YPC shows he can produce when we call his number. Heard one analyst say he "doesn't run like a Running Back", which is one of the worst explainations for disliking a player I've ever heard. He's slippery, understands run concepts, and we can split him out wide no issues. He's kind of a nightmare for teams to try to match with on common downs. Not going to take on bigger linebackers in the hole or short yardage situations but the other backs that among them.

Williams, Jones, anyone else are immediate upgrades to the position over last years infirmary hall of famers.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fat Eddie is good news. Ty Montgomery as the #1 RB is good news. Plenty of RB options drafted is good news. Could the best overall group in many years - we'll see.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good with it. Having RIP around sure would help me sleep better at night. If you need rookie talent to play a great deal RB is a good spot to do so. These rookie RB's are pretty easy to project at the next level also. The wild card is Monty IMO. If Monty takes that so called second year leap at the RB position they might really have something there. Something that was made to play in today's NFL also.....
BlondeonBlonde

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too worried about it. If it doesn't work out, there will be veterans on the street that can step in. I think a combination of Monty, Williams and Jones is probably good enough. Rip can always take a few carries as well if needed.
skibrett15

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I'm good with it. Having RIP around sure would help me sleep better at night. If you need rookie talent to play a great deal RB is a good spot to do so. These rookie RB's are pretty easy to project at the next level also. The wild card is Monty IMO. If Monty takes that so called second year leap at the RB position they might really have something there. Something that was made to play in today's NFL also.....

UTEP kid seems to have WR hands when I watched the film breakdown that someone posted. He reaches up and catches a back shoulder fade, plucks the ball out of there with his fingertips.

Also insane athleticism overall. He doesn't have elite top end speed, but nobody catches a 4.5 guy from behind anyway, and his burst is unreal.

"small guy fumbles" is what you said was the concern. Seems like a home run hitter to me. He could easily be the 2nd guy in terms of snaps/touches this year.
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

UTEP kid seems to have WR hands when I watched the film breakdown that someone posted. He reaches up and catches a back shoulder fade, plucks the ball out of there with his fingertips.

Also insane athleticism overall. He doesn't have elite top end speed, but nobody catches a 4.5 guy from behind anyway, and his burst is unreal.

"small guy fumbles" is what you said was the concern. Seems like a home run hitter to me. He could easily be the 2nd guy in terms of snaps/touches this year.

Yeah, Jones is worth a long look for sure. Don't take what I said there the wrong way though. We liked Jones and the film was very good to tell the truth. I, like many, just need to see a little more from those smaller backs before I'm all in.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: