You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie Expectations for this year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Counselor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Rookie Expectations for this year Reply with quote

Before you bash it this is just a fun thread. I am wondering everyones expectations of the rookies. Obviously we aren't even close to TC yet but curious to hear some thoughts on their rookie years.

I expect Bolles to struggle with his strength but by the end of the year to be much improved and having us excited heading into 2018 for the LT position.

Walker I expect a rotational role with him getting around 14 tackles and 2 sacks this year

Henderson is raw but I think we could see some good things in this offense. 442 yards and 5 TDs.

The rest I'm still thinking over.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Bolles will have a very up and down season personally. Frankly, I'm not sure he wins the job outright off the bat. He may. I think he'll end up starting at LT by end of season because we're that bad at the position.

Walker will be rotational fodder. I could see him having a couple solid games, but he feels like a good "rookie wall" candidate so I see him flashing here and there but otherwise being meh.

Henderson I could see adding a spark to the kickoff game. I think he'll have a so-so effect offensively, and I could see him having an electric play or two, but I think he'll be used more as a chess piece.

Langley I have zero expectations for.

Butt I think will be either put on PUP or IR depending on how the rest of our TEs look. He seems like a PUP candidate though.

McKenzie I have zero expectations for, because I think it's not guaranteed he even makes the team.

Henderson could be a PS stash or he'll sparingly play- this depends on Charles. If Charles makes the team, I don't see Henderson doing anything barring injury. If Charles doesn't make it or gets hurt, Henderson will have a role.

Chad Kelly seems like a great IR stash candidate.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jolly red giant

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad Kelly wins the starting job - leads us to the SB and becomes a model, team first franchise QB for the next 15 years.
champ11

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two wide receivers will have the most impact this season besides Bolles (who I expect to start week 1) due to their involvement on ST.

team rammy

Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly red giant wrote:
Chad Kelly wins the starting job - leads us to the SB and becomes a model, team first franchise QB for the next 15 years.

Bold. I salute the conviction in planting the flag early and standing alone.

Ok mine.

Garrett Bolles - LT from the start. A beast in run game. Struggles in pass pro esp with in 1H with 6 games against teams with strong pass rushes. Hopefully as chemistry builds with Leary pass pro improves in 2H.

DeAndre Walker - pure pass rush rotation help on pass downs. If injuries hit D-line he could be pressed into more work but not ideal. Expect run D abilities will take time. More likely to flash late given need to add more moves to pass rush repertoire other than inside spin. He is learning from some of the best so late season surge would really create optimism long term to his potential to be a complete 3-4 5 tech with more bulk in offseason. Barring injury to others ideally plays < 30 percent snaps.

Carlos Henderson - impact ST return guy. Gets about 3-5 manufactured targets/touches in bubble screen / reverse type plays per game. 1 ST TD and 2 gadget TD.

Branden Langley - learns on the practice field and in film room. Picked too high with his skill set to escape notice from other teams if Elway tries to stash him on PS (as you have put player through waivers, have them clear, then you can put that player on your PS) so stays on 53-man roster. Excels as a punt returner too so could help that way. Long term project barring multiple CB injuries.

Jake Butt - starts TC on PUP list so it doesn't count to 53-man roster. By Week 6 if he's not on practice field he's put on IR. Given how much playbook learning has to take place this is a 50-50 shot to redshirt year. Still a fantastic pick for 5.145 even if this happens.

Isiaih McKenzie - anything is a bonus. As much as I dislike some picks now or in past I almost always hope I'm wrong. Here I hope I'm right because McKenzie contributing either means Henderson gets hurt, or the Broncos reduce his ST return potential, or Henderson struggles to force DEN to use McKenzie.

DeAndre Henderson - a lock for the PS if JC makes the team. Little known fact - a player doesn't count against the NFL service clock if he doesn't spend more than 5 games on the PUP/IR/53-man roster. I could see him getting activated for a late season look if RB still unclear. SEA did this with CB Shead it's why he's still with them this year without hitting UFA.

Chad Kelly - almost certain to start year on PUP list. Again lets DEN to not count him against the 53-man roster. As long as Kelly doesn't practice he can stay there and not count until Week 7. If either Siemian or Lynch go down Broncos can activate Kelly if they need him from Week 1-6. By week 7 Elway & coaches either activate him as 3rd QB or IR him. Once they IR him there is no going back except with one guy per year (called IR-Designated for Return). Doubt they use that tag on him so PUP first then IR makes more sense.

FWIW, few rookies outside Rd1 rarely have a big Year 1 impact unless the position has a quick learning curve. UDFA NT Jarrett could have the 2ndbuggest impact on this team Year 1 because of that. But it makes what LAC did really impressive (WR Williams OG Lamp Feeney & DB King all could be Week 1 or 1H starters with huge ceilings, even if they passed on an even bigger impact guy in FS Hooker for Williams - potential historic home run draft).

Last edited by Broncofan on Thu May 04, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
champ11

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Henderson is going to be the KR and McKenzie is going to be the PR.

team rammy

Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
I think Henderson is going to be the KR and McKenzie is going to be the PR.

Yeah BB first pointed that out in our discussion in the Draft Thread, full credit there.

Thing is Langley was a fantastic punt returner in college m and since he's so raw he won't help on D and can't likely be snuck through waivers to the PS. So either you get no added value from Langley or McKenzie or both help if C-Henderson gets hurt. All scenarios with value return minimal either way from one of those picks. C-Henderson is the true HR ceiling guy so obv you don't want that scenario to play out but a big part of his appeal is to be a kick return weapon. But yeah that split works - McKenzie contributing then reduces Langley to zero impact this year barring CB injuries. Oh well.

Last edited by Broncofan on Thu May 04, 2017 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langley should be Webster's replacement on STs as a gunner, plus an emergency returner. Now you have a legitimate use for him and can keep him off the field on defense. I think it's clear special teams will see more emphasis this year in general.

Last edited by BroncoBruin on Thu May 04, 2017 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
Langley should be Webster's replacement on STs as a gunner, plus an emergency returner. Now you have a legitimate use for him and can keep him off the field on defense.

That's a fair take, ST help isn't just on returns.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:
Langley should be Webster's replacement on STs as a gunner, plus an emergency returner. Now you have a legitimate use for him and can keep him off the field on defense.

Langley is strong, physical and extremely fast in a straight line. He can be a hell of a gunner immediately paired with Latimer (if Latimer does enough to make the team) who already excels at it.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walker, the Hendersons, Langley and McKenzie all project well as special teams standouts with either their athleticism or high effort level. I really think they want to duplicate the way KC changes games on special teams, that can be a huge difference maker while the offense grows.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
BroncoBruin wrote:

Langley is strong, physical and extremely fast in a straight line. He can be a hell of a gunner immediately paired with Latimer (if Latimer does enough to make the team) who already excels at it.

Latimer is so good as gunner we can afford to keep him. Like BUF kept Steve Tasker. As a 4th-5th WR it's ok. Just such a waste of our Rd2 pick that year (the year of the WR - except us) but that's a sunk cost doesn't change his value to us for 2017. Butt / Kelly going to PUP and D-Henderson to PS will help prevent a numbers game at least until Week 7. Doubt Latimer would be the guy whose roster spot would be in doubt even then though. He didn't turn into the WR we wanted but he can play all the WR positions OK, and he's learned to block well for a WR...along with his ST prowess. Versatility like his matters.

(EDIT: Phone froze, multiple edits reloaded, oops)

Last edited by Broncofan on Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm; edited 8 times in total
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
Walker, the Hendersons, Langley and McKenzie all project well as special teams standouts with either their athleticism or high effort level. I really think they want to duplicate the way KC changes games on special teams, that can be a huge difference maker while the offense grows.
Remember, there was legitimate interest in Toub and we brought in his protege. The new culture on special teams has been prioritized clearly. This rookie class + veterans like Edebali, Latimer, Nelson, Anderson, Janovich, Parks, Simmons will be counted on to be difference makers in the third phase, especially early in the season IMO.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Myles Garret is okay his first year.

I think Trubisky has a Tim Couch type career

I think Solomon Thomas will be better than Garret.

I think McCaffrey does exactly what everyone thinks he will do, and that is catch good, run good, and be a very good utility player.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate projecting stats I just hate it but I'll look at impact.

1) Bolles - Im kinda shocked people think he'll do better for the run than the pass protection. I mean he mirrors guys very well which is key to pass protection. Just needs to strengthen his base and punch. I mean he really needs to know stunts for protections but I'm sure Leary will surely help. Impact will be huge if he can pass protect. It would go a long way determining what we have at qb, and will keep the offense in rhythm.
2) Walker - I think he has a HUGE impact on passing sitiations. When this defense was at the height of its powers they had Miller, Wolfe, Jackson,Ware. Last year we had Crick. If walker has that impact as a passer you can't double team as much. And it also leaves less of a need to blitz. Opening rbs out of the backfield.
3) Henderson - Special teams high impact no question. I've heard he's a lot more of a polished route runner than that ad lib offense let on. The ability to digest the playbook will either minimize, or heighten his valie.

4) Langley- I'm super excited for this pick the watching his tape, combine, tweets what's been said about him. I see a bigger stronger Chris Harris potentially down the line. Strong guy high effort. No quit in him. Kiper said he thought he could go 2nd round. He has a great mindset to persevere with having to change positions and schools. Many would have gave up. He not only didn't quit he became a 3rd roumd pick. Don't count his impact out. Talib was banged up a lot last season.

5)Butt- No to little impact year one. I feel like Green is as good as gone. And they're gonna give a last shot to Jeff H. Even though I wannasee more from Henry Kilger Cobble.

D Henderson - Elway took a gamble here guy played weak competition but his skill set is great. I see starter potential guy or practice squad. How he plays determines if we keep Charels not the other was around. He looks like a rich mans CJ Anderson but again level of competition. I don't see a 3rd down back if hes a hit. I see a starter rb. He's got an Mjd type of build and can do it all more durable than you think.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: