You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Does Floyd's moon have too dark of a side...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biggs Beefcakes

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in on Floyd.

He's the definition of a low-risk, high-reward type of player given he won't command a big money deal and he'd represent something that this offense lacks in a big way - dynamic playmakers.

At his best, he'd be this team's best receiver and a 3WR set of Floyd and Theilen on the outsides with Diggs in the slot raises the water level big time for that group. He would give them a big, deep threat type of receiver.

If he gets another DUI or gets in trouble again, then you go pick up a Charles Johnson type who is on the market to be your sixth WR or scour another team's practice squad. You'd still have the original four guys you are basically planning on having anyways, so I don't see a down side to this.

What's wrong with adding another talented, young and potentially motivated player? This offense stunk last year. It's not good enough to just pass on opportunities to add game-changers.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone signs him until there is news on whether or not he will be suspended.

The fact that the Patriots didn't care to bring him back probably says he is in trouble.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
The fact that the Patriots didn't care to bring him back probably says he is in trouble.

didn't they hold him out of two playoff games last year?

so he wasn't working out already.

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd in his prime is a solid #2 receiver, but I don't know how great of a fit he would be here. Diggs and Theilen have the top two spots, and I hope Treadwell advances to at least 3rd on the depth chart. With Wright on the roster, and now two rookies, the group might be getting a bit crowded. Sure, Floyd could be an upgrade on any number of the receivers on the roster, but having him here could stymie the development of someone like Treadwell by preventing them from seeing the field.

If we sign him, I won't be upset, but if we pass, I also will be perfectly fine.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, and I looked and behold, a Pale Horse...

And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

NSDQ
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After selecting Cook, I think Spielman has demonstrated a willingness to take on character risks. I wouldn't mind signing Floyd. He's no better than a #3 WR, if he's cheap and demonstrates a willingness to change and an expectation that he will be released with any more transgressions, why not.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Floyd's moon have too dark of a side...? Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
are multiple DUI's too high of an error to accept?

No. He's a football player, not a school bus driver.

It's not about the money. If you sign him, you cut someone else. if he then gets in trouble again, you don't have a replacement.

This is like the argument we had last year about what's his name, the WR that keeps getting suspended.....

It isn't the money, it's the opportunity cost.

I never said it was about money. He will get a salary commensurate with the risk (with escalators likely built in).

Yes, he may push someone off the roster; but really, how hard is it to find a #6 Wide Receiver? Because that's who he's pushing off the roster. Floyd has more talent than any #6 receiver in this league.

Low risk, high reward.

“Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
After selecting Cook, I think Spielman has demonstrated a willingness to take on character risks. I wouldn't mind signing Floyd. He's no better than a #3 WR, if he's cheap and demonstrates a willingness to change and an expectation that he will be released with any more transgressions, why not.

If might be no better then a #3, but he is also no worse then #3
He would slide into #3 quite easily.

Diggs
Theilen
Floyd
Wright
Treadwell
Adams

Last edited by CriminalMind on Thu May 04, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donut

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:

didn't they hold him out of two playoff games last year?

so he wasn't working out already.

To be fair to Floyd he was claimed right after Danny Amendola got hurt vs the Rams and we were left w/ Mitchell, Edelman, and Hogan as WRs. And for first playoff game vs Houston Amendola was healthy but Malcolm Mitchell had been hurt. The Steelers and Falcons game Mitchell was healthy enough to play and he played well vs ATL. And we traded for Brandin Cooks which I don't think anyone is going to argue that isn't an upgrade. And Amendola is really the only susceptible WR slot and he keeps having big playoff moments and if Edelman does go down he can fill in the role of SL WR and PRer pretty well.

But Floyd compared to Mitchell Mitchell was just better on the field. Him and Brady were pretty in sync and Floyd wasn't running as crisp routes like Mitchell and his looser slant running imo was the cause of the INT vs Houston. And when new WRs come into Patriots system they're often behind and the hurry up suffers. He was there a month or so and a few years ago Patriots(I think it was 2013(Dobson, Thompkins and Amendola were new) couldnt run hurry up at all.

I thought they were going to bring Floyd back to have another WR w/ the ability to play the X spot besides Hogan so Hogan could move inside for some mismatches(they moved him inside in a few games and Mitchell couldn't get off jam well enough). He just would provide versatility that WRs lacked but then we got Cooks and it'd be pretty bad place to return to for Floyd.

The TLDR for that is I think it was mainly his lack of experience made it easy for Mitchell and Amendola to hold their spots in playoff over him. He probably didnt fully grasp hurry up which is to be expected when guys have had a full season to not grasp it. The reports I remember about Floyd was him working really hard to catchup to other guys.

He should be a good pickup. Based on what players in ARZ said about him it seems like he's a likeable guy in the locker room and he works hard but he just needs to not drink and drive again. Though imo I don't think he gets released from arizona if they were in the hunt for playoff spot.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Aug 2011, Notre Dame; following a DUI arrest four months earlier:

Floyd said he has been to counseling, has changed his circle of friends and will stay in a residence hall instead of moving off campus. In response to a question, he said he hadn't had a drink at a bar since his arrest in March but acknowledged he'd been in a bar to socialize. Floyd said he's moving forward in a positive direction.

Floyd: "What motivates me was my family. Making sure I didn't let them down again. I embarrassed them a lot."

http://www.espn.com/chicago/ncf/story/_/id/6829875/notre-dame-fighting-irish-reinstate-michael-floyd-dui-suspension

On December 12, 2016, Floyd was arrested and charged with two counts of driving under the influence after he was found passed out behind the wheel. On February 17, 2017, he was found guilty of extreme DUI, and was sentenced to 24 days in prison and 96 days of house arrest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Floyd

byuvike88

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
if he has multiple DUIs and is facing a suspension, then I would just roll with what we have.

let the rookies, Fruechte and MoBo fight for the #5/#6 spots

Don't count out Mitch Matthews

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
if he has multiple DUIs and is facing a suspension, then I would just roll with what we have.

let the rookies, Fruechte and MoBo fight for the #5/#6 spots

Don't count out Mitch Matthews

you are all about your BYU boys, eh? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Patriots fan, I can say that generally speaking people were on-board with the idea of Floyd returning. He certainly didn't do anything to hurt the team in his short stay, and made some very good plays in limited time.

His non-return and lack of playing time was mostly down to lack of time in the system, and our very good depth at the position. He did everything that was asked of him while he was here.

He's still a very good athlete, and definitely capable of being a good no.2.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
Purplexing

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Does Floyd's moon have too dark of a side...? Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
are multiple DUI's too high of an error to accept?

No. He's a football player, not a school bus driver.

So, if he plays football, he can't drive a car, and possibly injure an innocent driver? Shocked

There is no dark side of the Floyd Moon; as a matter of fact, it's all dark.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Patriots acquired wide receiver Michael Floyd late last season, some thought they were hoping he’d sign with another team in the offseason, which would bolster the Patriots’ chances of gaining compensatory draft picks in 2018. But it probably won’t work out that way. The compensatory pick formula counts only free agent signings made by May 9, and Floyd remains unsigned as of May 5.

Floyd is currently talking to the Vikings and other teams, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. But he’s expecting to have a deal near the end of next week, which wouldn’t help the Patriots in the compensatory pick formula, nor would it hurt his new team in the compensatory pick formula.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/05/michael-floyd-talks-to-vikings-may-sign-after-compensatory-pick-deadline/

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: