Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jamal Charles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the signing from a risk-reward standpoint. There's very little downside here, but a world of upside. I am skeptical as to how much Charles realistically has to offer, but if he's not taking on a full time role, I think they'll maximize his contribution.

I think Denver is just patching the leak, so to speak, at the RB position. Anderson is a decent bet not to be around, particularly if he can't stay healthy, and Charles is on a 1 year deal. Booker is a backup, and Henderson is an unknown. Denver tried trading up for Mixon (I firmly believe that) as well as McCaffrey, and they interviewed a ton of RBs.

I look for next year, in what could be a QB heavy draft, for Denver to look for RB relatively early.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klis wrote today that JC's chances to make the 53-man roster were 50-50 - http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-mailbag-why-no-new-inside-linebackers-what-about-cj-stadium-name/440515591

That's not newsworthy itself - what's really awesome is that Elway only committed 100K in guarantees, by the looks of the contract - the 900K is only if he makes the roster.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/jamaal-charles-4374/ - note there is no guaranteed $ (but if JC enters TC, then likely he gets the 100K workout bonus).

With only 100K invested, it's truly a no-risk deal now.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont understand the Charels signing. I think Deangelo Henderson will be a stud. Reminds me of freeman with his skill set and agility. Pair that with Booker and Cj who have better blocking now and it makes you question why?

Henderson is even considered an adequate pass blocker. I get it as a safety net but im not expecring much.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
I just dont understand the Charels signing. I think Deangelo Henderson will be a stud. Reminds me of freeman with his skill set and agility. Pair that with Booker and Cj who have better blocking now and it makes you question why?

Henderson is even considered an adequate pass blocker. I get it as a safety net but im not expecring much.

I love the value at Rd 6, but counting on Henderson to contribute Year 1 is a big stretch. The jump for rookies is huge anyways but his level of competition was even lower than most playing at Coastal Carolina. Absorbing the playbook to be trusted in pass protection is no lock for any rookie. Booker blew several blitz pickups last year and even then he was seen as a very complete RB coming out of Utah.

The jump in playbook sophistication & speed difference is just that huge. Henderson isn't a lock to be our primary RBOTF, but it's certainly a pick aimed at 2018+. He's still got a fair amount to work on - what limited film there is shows his speed and willingness to run decisively inside, but also showed his vision was limited at times, and he relied on brute force at times vs. opponents that won't work in the NFL (if that sounds familiar it's what Booker struggled with after CJ went down - which was weird given vision was one of his strengths at Utah).

If we look at our rookie RB, year 1 is usually a redshirt or 3rd RB role. CJ didn't even see any action until November his first year. It's a big reason why I caution about ppl being down on Booker after his 2H struggles behind that bad OL (if he doesn't show a big jump this year then it's likely he's just a backup level guy, but year 1 struggles with bad OL's, harder to call that ceiling yet) - people look at Jordan Howard or Ezekiel Elliott and expect all rookie RB will succeed right away - for each rookie RB success story there are 5-6 who struggle and more who don't even dress on Sunday. Most rookie RB's struggle, even those with high talent levels (Melvin Gordon being the most recent example - neither Booker or Henderson are close to that level of talent, to be clear). All of which to say - Henderson being on the PS year 1 wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. You keep him there for 11 games then we get to keep him for 4 more cheap years (like we did with Paradis).

If JC makes the team D-Henderson almost certainly goes to the PS barring the TC / preseason of a lifetime. But given the jump in play for him in particular and sophistication of the playbook he's got to learn, even if JC doesn't make the team, D-Henderson being on the PS until injury or mid-November wouldn't shock me.

And remember JC now only costs 100k if he's not back to the old JC. Which I think is the most likely outcome. But Elway isn't even locked in to the 900k vet min salary. Hard to argue the risk involved.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised he may not make the team. We should have signed Jaye after seeing he only grabbed a vet min deal. Or Dunlap.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:

Because DeAngelo Henderson was a 6th round pick, from a small school, and will need to adjust to the NFL most likely given the history of smaller school late round players?

I'm not even sure why the signing is a big deal. Why on earth would ANY role be handed to a 6th round rookie? Competition makes the cream rise to the top.

Thanks, Tzimisce
thebestever6

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
thebestever6 wrote:

Because DeAngelo Henderson was a 6th round pick, from a small school, and will need to adjust to the NFL most likely given the history of smaller school late round players?

I'm not even sure why the signing is a big deal. Why on earth would ANY role be handed to a 6th round rookie? Competition makes the cream rise to the top.

I just think its a wasted signing sure there are minimal risks but henderson has a better chance of performing than Charels. If he had anything left the Chiefs would of gave a similar deal.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: