You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bears vs Media Narratives
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: The Bears vs Media Narratives Reply with quote

There are a couple of media narratives that are beating the Bears up right now that I think are just total crap and actually have me defending a team I enjoy to criticize.

Why sign Mike Glennon if you were going to draft a QB?

I am very glad the national media has latched onto this because it is probably the biggest dumb [inappropriate/removed] point that they are parroting. There have been a couple of local guys as well that I have had to move into the same dumb [inappropriate/removed] category as well.

1. The money does not matter, the Bears had a ton of cash and it did not affect their ability to make any other move. Whether they paid him 10 million or 18 million it is all the same on the final budget.

2. Glennon actually gives Turbisky a chance to sit. There is an unknown about Glennon that does not exist with Hoyer and Barkley, who we know suck. There is no way Brian Hoyer keeps Trubisky on the bench for more than 4 weeks with his checkdowns and 17 ppg.

3. There is a sliver of upside with Glennon. He could be a little bit good. In that case the Bears can either keep him and have a legit competition with Trubisky moving forward or they can. Maybe he plays well and you can flip him for picks? If Glennon even plays half way decent he gives the Bears and asset at the QB position and that is worth more than the 6-8 million they are over paying him.

4. 60k no shows last season because Bears fans figured out that Barkley was a total dud. Glennon should ensure that the Bears are not impossible to watch in the last 8 weeks of the season.

5. Glennon gives this coaching staff a chance to show what they can do. If the Bears can win 7-8 games with Glennon and show some development than I think they stay. This will be the first time that we see the Bears coaching a team without having to cater to what Cutler can do and to coach around the never ending turnovers. If the Bears can put a half way decent product on the field with a veteran QB than I am intrigued what they can do with a player with more physical talent than Glennon.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another media narrative that needs to stop is the "Pace just got fired" line that La Confora, who is a hack, and Matt Miller, who is slightly less of a hack, have been pushing since after the draft.

Those who pay any attention know

1. Pace is in no danger of losing his job and word from local guys who are at Halas Hall everyday is that he is locked into his spot.

2. Pace is coming off of the Bears best draft in 14 years.

3. I am pretty certain that George McCaskey is not pissed at him for finally doing something to address the QB position in Chicago.

4. George himself has used the word "patience" on multiple occasions when it comes to the rebuild and Ryan Pace.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another personal favorite narrative of mine is that the Bears needed to take defense. This is a 2 prong you are an idiot issue.

The first is that the Bears defense was bad and you needed more talent.

1. The Bears defense was decimated by injuries last season.

2. Their secondary did not have any NFL talent and while they didn't add superstars in the offseason, Cooper, Demps and Amukamara are better than the street free agent losers that they rolled out for most of last season.

3. Even with injuries and no secondary talent the Bears were 15th in yards per game and 24th in points per game even with Barkley chucking 14 picks in the last 6 games. The offense last season was 28th in ppg with a pathetic 17.

The offense was light years worse than the defense and has been for almost the entirety of this century.

The 2nd portion of this idiotic narrative is that the Bears are built on playing defense and running the football. If you want to bash your head through a wall listen to Kap and Company from Friday the 28th as Jordan Cornette goes on and on about how the Bears identity is playing defense and running the football.

1. The Bears are one of the least successful franchises in the NFL because they have been trying to run the ball and play defense while everyone else is developing QBs.

2. Why should Bears fans accept going back to the days of Lovie?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel kinda bad for Glennon, not because as I heard so many times yesterday he won't get a fair shot here, bc that's not true. This year is his to lose. But bc he lost his job really to no fault of his own as TB had a high pick and a chance to get a "guy". He played the good soldier, bided his time, was a good team mate, got to FA, signed a good deal and now its happening all over again. The one legitimate complaint for Glennon is that had he known that the Bears were going to take a QB at #2, he probably wouldn't have signed here. I hope he balls out this year, gets to 9+ wins and somebody really wants him next year.

The Pace fired himself stuff is just utterly stupid. If Trubisky pans out, Pace will be here for a long time, if he doesn't then he gets fired. For better or worse Pace tied himself to a QB. That's what a good GM is supposed to do.

Run the ball and play defense will get you to the playoffs, might even get you a win in the playoffs. But even Angelo recognized that it couldn't win a superbowl so he went and made the biggest move of his career and traded for Cutler. Nuff said.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
51to54

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost entirely hinges on whether or not Trubisky is a quality starting NFL QB. He doesn't have to be a Brady or Rogers, but at least an Eli who can take a good team to a championship with a hot streak of QB play.

Pace almost certainly got snookered by Lynch, but not for a lot and the fact is that 3 QB's went in the top 12 and all three resulted from trades up. If Trubisky is a Rivers' level QB that plays above the level of Kaepernick and Gabbert than Lynch is the one who got snookered.

Three small school picks? Tarik Cohen? Trading multiple picks to move up one slot? No high quality defenders in a deep defensive pool draft? Pace put his job on the line which I like, but we won't know for a season or two if he killed his job with this draft or not.

Glennon wasn't unlucky at TB. He didn't play well enough to convince TB to not use a first overall pick to take a replacement QB. He could be a nice asset if he plays well enough to warrant a trade, but not well enough to keep Trukisky on the bench. I feel sorry for guys who get one year in the NFL and leave with a bad knee for the rest of their lives. Not for a guy who get's benched by a newly drafted QB and then goes and cashes his 18 million dollar check.
RunningVaccs

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually have me defending a team I enjoy to criticize.

I know, it's the worst, right? Its just like Cutler all over again
icebox

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things,

1st .Windy defending the bears, gotta say i'm not used to seeing that but i like it.

2nd I don't feel bad for Glennon its his job to lose,and if he does 18 mill is a nice sweetner, more money than any of us will see in a life time.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly cannot remember a time, maybe the Cutler body language garbage, where the national narrative was so wrong with the Bears.

"Pace's job is on the line and he is desperate"

No, this draft proves just how much job security he has. You don't draft for 2018 if you don't think you will be there in 2019 and beyond.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what the truth is. The initial reactions and reports, even if overstated or erroneous, are now fact. That's the world we live in now, sports or otherwise.
mikee

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to fight the narrative around Trubisky and the trade is futile.

What I will fight is the notion that just because Shaheen and Cohen are from small schools that they can't have an early impact on this team. They may not be game one contributors, but I fully expect both to make an impact this season.

Shaheen can win with athleticism and size in the red zone from day one. Cohen can beat LBs in space from day one. Both will need to prove themselves as blockers to expand their roles, but that doesn't necessarily take a redshirt season to learn.

Besides, we know Miller is going to get hurt at some point, so Sims and Shaheen will be the starters at some point, maybe early. And the Bears backup RBs is a collection of JAGs and with the exception of Cunningham none of them offer anything out of the backfield in the passing game. The opportunities are going to be there for these two players to make their mark.
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we take the Bears' draft as a whole, they came out OK from a value standpoint. The picks they held entering the draft were worth 3,179 points on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. The picks they held in the end were worth 3,113 points, counting 2018 picks that were part of the Bears' trades.

The difference in value equates to the 114th overall pick, a small price to pay for a team to make sure it gets the quarterback it wants
. The deficit equates to the 48th overall pick if we use the trade chart Chase Stuart produced for his site, Football Perspective.

Yet Pace was "fleeced"??? GMAFB Laughing

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
IronMike84

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"WHY DID PACE TAKE SO MANY SMALL-SCHOOL PLAYERS?!"

Pace has drafted players from:
West Virginia x 2
FSU
Oregon
Michigan State
Penn State
TCU
Georgia
Kansas State
Florida
West Virginia
Miami
North Carolina
Alabama

His small school players:
Indiana (still a power five conference)
William & Mary
Northern Iowa
Western Michigan
Ashland
North Carolina A&T
Kutztown

Yup, he sure does skew towards those small-school guys!
IronMike84

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still floored that a fanbase that has done nothing but [inappropriate/removed] about the quarterback position for 30 years is appalled that the Bears would draft a quarterback with a high pick.
G08

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I'm still floored that a fanbase that has done nothing but [inappropriate/removed] about the quarterback position for 30 years is appalled that the Bears would draft a quarterback with a high pick.

This is, honestly, a QB-retarded fanbase. They don't know any better because it's generational and their parents didn't know any better either.

I'm hoping in this age of technology and television we can see what GOOD QB PLAY looks like and understand IT DOESN'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT when Mitch finally gets his chance.

I'm not holding my breath, though. Chicago meatball fans are the [inappropriate/removed] worst -- and I lived on the East Coast for 4 years.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
RunningVaccs

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I've heard in person and on the interwebz that is incredibly frustrating is that this offseason is somehow more indictment of the McCaskets being cheap, and they should sell the team.

So paying Glennon (over?), Sanchez, Cutler and Shaw for 2017 while developing a QB who might not even hit the field is cheap?

It's like all these people have is the same knee jerk reaction to news no matter what it is. Now that "Cutler sucks, no heart, bad face" doesn't apply I imagine we'll get more McCaskeys should sell talk. Wish they would all stick to politics!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: