Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Was trading down with the Texans the correct move?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was trading down the best option?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 17 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

brownie man

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Was trading down with the Texans the correct move? Reply with quote

When you look at having guys like

OJ Howard
Jonathan Allen
Malik Hooker

There who are all top 5 top 10 talents was it worth it to drop to 25 pick up the first and select Peppers?

I feel it's a couple questions needed to answer that

1. Why we're these top talents there at 12. Were they truly deserving of the higher praise they received.

2. What is more impactful having a top 10 player or two top 25 players. When counting the first next year

3. Was this first rounder used to hedge our bets on selecting a QB in 2018?

4. What is more important getting potentially a HOF player at 12 or making sure you have the ammo to get the QB you want if needed to select one in 2018.

5. Looking at the big picture knowing we selected Peppers, Njocku, Larry O, and Brantley does that make it easier to accept that you passed on the top free safety, defensive tackle, and tight end.

I think we will look at this as the right move. Especially if you take an early look at next years first round. Even excluding all the QBs it's a very front loaded draft. There are more blue chip prospect next year than this year but as of right now next years doesn't have close to the depth this one did. That first round will be crucial. I think this was the best move to get that extra first and be lock and loaded for 2018. As much as it pains to wait.
Deshone Kizer, Malik Hooker, Carlos Watkins, Adoree Jackson, Budda Baker, TJ Watt, Montravius Adams, Ryan Switzer, Kendall Beckwith, Davis Webb, Des Lawrence, Shelton Gibson, Jamaal Williams, Bucky Hodges
poorbytehshore

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% the right move for me. Especially to a team with suspect QBs at best, a likely situation where the fan base will clamour to play the rookie who isn't yet ready, and a tool bag coach who has the potential to at some point turn things sour.

I honestly think there's a chance that pick alone could find the Browns their franchise QB.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory/on paper it makes sense, as much as I wanted them to take Hooker, but only time will tell based on how well Peppers plays, plus who we get with the Texans #1 next year.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know in 2 years, but:

Hue said that we'd either have gotten Hooker or Watson, so you have to go with one of those 2 guys for this hypothetical, so:

Do Peppers, Kizer, and that 1st rounder in 2018 end up being better than:

Hooker

Watson

If so, then yes, if not, definite no and Julio Jones 2.0 all over again.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have rather had OJ since he would have helped the pass game and run game with his blocking. but I guess we have to see what happens next year with that pick.

I think we could have gotten peppers in the 2nd.

2016 Adopt A Brown: Al Saunders
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated it at 1st but I'm down with it now. I have to question why Howard and Hooker fell so far after being can't miss elite players. There's got to be a reason.

Having said that it will all depend of if Peppers becomes a stud. Also what we get with the pick next year. If Kizer fails and we use it to move up for one of the QBs than it still would be a good trade even if Peppers fails. It's all about that ever so elusive QB.

BTW since a couple in here feel it's going to be the best year for QBs coming out since 1492 we could just get one with that second 1st rounder. Evidently 15 are projected to go in the 1st.

Thanks Reg!
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO yes.

I'd rather have Peppers and a 1 as opposed to Hooker.

I didn't care for Watson.

OJ Howard is a stud, be we nabbed Njoku who is not quite as good now but is 2 years younger.

I'd make a move like that every year if we could. I think due to our recent history we've become a little spoiled by having multiple firsts, but it's a really great opportunity to improve the talent on your team and they're a difficult asset to acquire.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
IMO yes.

OJ Howard is a stud, be we nabbed Njoku who is not quite as good now but is 2 years younger.

I'd make a move like that every year if we could. I think due to our recent history we've become a little spoiled by having multiple firsts, but it's a really great opportunity to improve the talent on your team and they're a difficult asset to acquire.

I agree with this. As much as I loved Howard and really wanted us to get him at 12, there are quite a few that feel Njoku eventually will be better than Howard. I scouted some game tape of him and he isn't a good blocker at all. But he tries really hard and to me can be coached up. His technique is terrible. Needs to add some more strength. But that can come with time as you've said he is only 20.

Thanks Reg!
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
IMO yes.

This plus the acquisition of the FS from BYU....made it OK...I was thinking REALLY hard about Allen at 12...but apparently his shoulder will possibly become and issue....I loved hooker a lot...my first Mock back in Oct had us taking Garrett and Hooker....but with the Depth of safeties in this draft, I was willing to roll the dice on getting one later...

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
pnies20

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think Hooker isn't going to be that good so yes this trade was awesome.

Get a player Gregg Williams coveted and a 2018 1st. Do it 10 times out of 10.
buno67

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If NJoku can be a good enough TE, he should impact the run game even if he isnt on the LOS. You would hope they honor him with some help from a LB and over the top shade from a safety. If a team is going to run man to man on NJoku with a safety, we better check out of a run play and abuse that match up.

If a team wants to leave 7 guys in the box, I would hope we check to a pass play and start making defenses play 6 guys in the box and start honoring the passing game. I think thats the great thing about NJoku, it gives us a big target in the slot, while we have Coleman on his outside or Britt.

I am going to love seeing some 4 Wideout sets, with NJoku being man 2 on oneside. The only thing is, who is going to be man 2 opposite of him? Higgins?

I also love the idea of running a wide bunch or a tight bunch with NJoku as the point men. A corner or safety wont be able to jam him because of his size and it allows our WRs to be off the line and the now have space to get away from a DB

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I say yes is that it gives us that extra 1st next year in case Kizer doesn't look great, and we love a 1st round QB. I don't think we pick #1 next year, so we need all the ammo we can get.

I obviously loved Malik, but I also trust G. Williams if this is the guy he thought would be best for him.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
If NJoku can be a good enough TE, he should impact the run game even if he isnt on the LOS. You would hope they honor him with some help from a LB and over the top shade from a safety. If a team is going to run man to man on NJoku with a safety, we better check out of a run play and abuse that match up.

If a team wants to leave 7 guys in the box, I would hope we check to a pass play and start making defenses play 6 guys in the box and start honoring the passing game. I think thats the great thing about NJoku, it gives us a big target in the slot, while we have Coleman on his outside or Britt.

I am going to love seeing some 4 Wideout sets, with NJoku being man 2 on oneside. The only thing is, who is going to be man 2 opposite of him? Higgins?

I also love the idea of running a wide bunch or a tight bunch with NJoku as the point men. A corner or safety wont be able to jam him because of his size and it allows our WRs to be off the line and the now have space to get away from a DB

I'm still his biggest supporter in the room...

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaWg_LB. wrote:
buno67 wrote:

I'm still his biggest supporter in the room...

I like him too. It was mind boggling that we were playing Louis over him. He dropped everything.

2016 Adopt A Brown: Al Saunders
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
I'll let you know in 2 years, but:

Hue said that we'd either have gotten Hooker or Watson, so you have to go with one of those 2 guys for this hypothetical, so:

Do Peppers, Kizer, and that 1st rounder in 2018 end up being better than:

Hooker

Watson

If so, then yes, if not, definite no and Julio Jones 2.0 all over again.

Definitely better than Watson. A project QB is a project QB, and we still got that later. So, Peppers, 2018 1st, and project QB is definitely better than just a project QB.

I think its better than Hooker too. I believe Peppers is going to be a huge play maker. He is not the center fielder that Hooker is, and he won't get the INTs, but he will be making plays everywhere. I predict a fan favorite his rookie year. We also added the 2018 round 1 to either further build the team if it turns out we have our QB on the roster now, or have resources to move up and get him next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: