Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GB Front Office and Athleticism
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
skibrett15


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 2524
Location: nibelheim
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: GB Front Office and Athleticism Reply with quote

I would say that, prior to 2015 or so, the general consensus here was that this team and the TT regime are basically setting some very base thresholds for height/weight/speed for a position. A perfect example is the 5 10 04 threshold for CB height on the packers. That may very well exclude a few players, but it leaves the majority of DBs still available to picks.

But, if you look at the two most recent drafts, there are an unusually high number of "best sparq" player selections such as Dean Lowry in 2016 or Aaron Jones in 2017.

If you aren't familiar with SPARQ: https://3sigmaathlete.com/documentation/

Anyway, I wanted to run through our selections, and show their positional SPARQ ranking:

Kevin King Rank: 1 Score: 142
Josh Jones Rank: 7 Score: 129
Montravius Adams Rank: 21 Score: 109
Vince Biegel: Rank: 35 Score: 123
Jamal Williams Rank: 45 Score: 117
DeAngelo Yancey Rank: 33 Score: 122
Aaron Jones Rank: 3 Score: 136
Kofi Amichia: Rank: 1 Score: 118
Devante Mays Rank: 18 Score 126
Malachi Dupre Rank: 21 Score: 126


2016 Highlights:
Spriggs Rank: 7 Score: 123 (highest sparq for drafted OL)
Dean Lowry rank: 8 (misplaced as an Edge) score: 124
Trevor Davis rank: 12 Score: 128

Fackrell, Martinez, Clark all middle of the road (Clark is lumped in with DE and UTs though, probably stacks better for NT) and Murphy is Unknown.

So, has there been a concerted effort to target these athletes? Clearly there is still some traditional scouting going on, what with Jamaal Williams going before Jones and Yancey before Dupre. Still, to me this has the look of a concerted effort to up the athleticism of the team.


Last edited by skibrett15 on Tue May 02, 2017 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17813
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a hell of a lot more to discuss than this but if I didn't pay attention close I would always picture Ted as just this old school numbers be damned type of dude. But he's obviously not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2327
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GB Front Office and Athleticism Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
A perfect example is the 5 10 04 threshold for CB height on the packers.


Thank you for using a reasonable threshold for CB height instead of being an individual that uses an inane threshold like 5107.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17813
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there also any chance just drafting guys who you think can compete athletically just accidentally coincides with this stuff?

Like they look on tape, damn this kid can move, love him. And that's theoretically what you'll always want.

And then they test well, and you get this stuff. Doesn't that make sense, in theory?

The later you go, the more I would suspect you look at clay with the numbers to mold though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
skibrett15


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 2524
Location: nibelheim
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
There's a hell of a lot more to discuss than this but if I didn't pay attention close I would always picture Ted as just this old school numbers be damned type of dude. But he's obviously not.


I think that's the impression he gives off for sure. People were starting to figure that there's actually a numbers "shell" around the process. I'm wondering now if there isn't an uber-athletic threshold where... you could be an objectively bad college player and still get a draftable grade due to the testing numbers.

To me, it's easy to just "he's a numbers guy" or "he doesn't care bout the numbers" when both types are still looking for athletic players with high college production vs excellent competition at the end of the day. So you need to look for the later rounds when those players are gone to differentiate.

Is he drafting obviously less athletic guys from big schools with production? Is he drafting guys who have a rep as athletic but don't test well?

or is he drafting guys who test well but aren't as productive, or only productive vs bad competition?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lark25


Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 397
Location: Aus
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also has a tendency to draft linebackers that wear #47, that's how I knew Biegel would be a Packer rather than Watt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17813
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skibrett15 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
There's a hell of a lot more to discuss than this but if I didn't pay attention close I would always picture Ted as just this old school numbers be damned type of dude. But he's obviously not.


I think that's the impression he gives off for sure. People were starting to figure that there's actually a numbers "shell" around the process. I'm wondering now if there isn't an uber-athletic threshold where... you could be an objectively bad college player and still get a draftable grade due to the testing numbers.

To me, it's easy to just "he's a numbers guy" or "he doesn't care bout the numbers" when both types are still looking for athletic players with high college production vs excellent competition at the end of the day. So you need to look for the later rounds when those players are gone to differentiate.

Is he drafting obviously less athletic guys from big schools with production? Is he drafting guys who have a rep as athletic but don't test well?

or is he drafting guys who test well but aren't as productive, or only productive vs bad competition?


Kind of like what Palmy said about Kofi to a degree, yeah?

I suppose like your next para it goes both ways. Ya might take a bigger project, biggest risk off the numbers. Then sometimes ya go, okay numbers we don't love, but the kid can play and we think he's safe. It sounds obvious when you break it down like that, but I'd betcha it goes both ways and I would say SPARQ stuff play that out. Kind of like on Biegel.

He seems to have an affinity for small school guys more than the average, but I don't think we saw it this year anyways right? IDK.

I know one thing, I don't think he's a robot like others. It all seems so obvious......after the fact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17813
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lark25 wrote:
He also has a tendency to draft linebackers that wear #47, that's how I knew Biegel would be a Packer rather than Watt.


I am terrible at jersey numbers. I couldn't tell you 5 of our top 10 players numbers, not kidding. No clue without looking other than like Jordy, Rodgers. Bak (giggity).

I know Ryan, who else were 47? Since we brought it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
PackyAttacky


Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
lark25 wrote:
He also has a tendency to draft linebackers that wear #47, that's how I knew Biegel would be a Packer rather than Watt.


I am terrible at jersey numbers. I couldn't tell you 5 of our top 10 players numbers, not kidding. No clue without looking other than like Jordy, Rodgers. Bak (giggity).

I know Ryan, who else were 47? Since we brought it up.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackyAttacky


Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote




Thats the best one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17813
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackyAttacky wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
lark25 wrote:
He also has a tendency to draft linebackers that wear #47, that's how I knew Biegel would be a Packer rather than Watt.


I am terrible at jersey numbers. I couldn't tell you 5 of our top 10 players numbers, not kidding. No clue without looking other than like Jordy, Rodgers. Bak (giggity).

I know Ryan, who else were 47? Since we brought it up.




Had no idea. Is that it?

I talk about remembering AJ in college all the time, and I didn't remember that either. I'm just not that guy, my brain doesn't work that way.

I can tell you what school some 08 late pick was, I can't tell you what their number was, no way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
squire12


Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 6543
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
lark25 wrote:
He also has a tendency to draft linebackers that wear #47, that's how I knew Biegel would be a Packer rather than Watt.


I am terrible at jersey numbers. I couldn't tell you 5 of our top 10 players numbers, not kidding. No clue without looking other than like Jordy, Rodgers. Bak (giggity).

I know Ryan, who else were 47? Since we brought it up.


Think Matthews was 47 at USC
_________________
Salary Cap Fantasy Football League
2016 Salary Cap League Rosters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackyAttacky


Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
lark25 wrote:
He also has a tendency to draft linebackers that wear #47, that's how I knew Biegel would be a Packer rather than Watt.


I am terrible at jersey numbers. I couldn't tell you 5 of our top 10 players numbers, not kidding. No clue without looking other than like Jordy, Rodgers. Bak (giggity).

I know Ryan, who else were 47? Since we brought it up.




Had no idea. Is that it?


All the white linebackers except Fackrell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
squire12


Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 6543
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
lark25 wrote:
He also has a tendency to draft linebackers that wear #47, that's how I knew Biegel would be a Packer rather than Watt.


I am terrible at jersey numbers. I couldn't tell you 5 of our top 10 players numbers, not kidding. No clue without looking other than like Jordy, Rodgers. Bak (giggity).

I know Ryan, who else were 47? Since we brought it up.


Think Matthews was 47 at USC


As I post that, 3 others beat me to it.
_________________
Salary Cap Fantasy Football League
2016 Salary Cap League Rosters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skibrett15


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 2524
Location: nibelheim
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:


Kind of like what Palmy said about Kofi to a degree, yeah?

I suppose like your next para it goes both ways. Ya might take a bigger project, biggest risk off the numbers. Then sometimes ya go, okay numbers we don't love, but the kid can play and we think he's safe. It sounds obvious when you break it down like that, but I'd betcha it goes both ways and I would say SPARQ stuff play that out. Kind of like on Biegel.

He seems to have an affinity for small school guys more than the average, but I don't think we saw it this year anyways right? IDK.

I know one thing, I don't think he's a robot like others. It all seems so obvious......after the fact.


Yeah, clearly need to do some comparisons to other NFL teams to make any sort of judgement.

To me, a few picks specifically stand out:
1) Dean Lowry
2) Aaron Jones
3) Jason Spriggs
4) Kofi Amichia

These are all picks at non-need positions, picks that weren't expected, and in Spriggs' case he even traded up to grab. Spriggs was definitely a quality prospect and on the radar as a target in the 2nd, but the trade up for a non-need position makes me flag that one as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group