Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills not picking up Sammy Watkins' 5th year option
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with this. If he has a good year he will likely bolt in FA. Leaving us with another massive hole to fill, assuming Kyle Williams retires were gonna have holes at DT, FS (Poyer is garbage) WR, TE potentially and QB potentially

Bills can and would franchise him if he stays healthy and is productive.

Is he franchise eligible without option ? Honest question I don't know bro

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he can be franchised and transition tagged as if he was a normal player going to be a free agent. Thats why I dont get why everyone is freaking out and calling his career in buffalo over before the season even starts.

Thanks Max
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
Yes he can be franchised and transition tagged as if he was a normal player going to be a free agent. Thats why I dont get why everyone is freaking out and calling his career in buffalo over before the season even starts.

I would have rather picked up his option then franchised him after 18.

Idk I guess I'm not ok with this and maybe it's the gambler in me but even if it's a 1-50 odds of Sammy breaking out in a big way, I'll take the odds and hope I hit in an even bigger way.

But the fact that the franchise tag is only 1.5 million apart makes this a little easier, still disagree with what we did though.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ravens would trade you guys a 3rd and 4th round pick for him (same compensation we gave up to acquire Anquan Boldin in 2010)

Hey, might as well take it! Get something for him now since it's likely he won't be back in 18'.
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely

Franchise Tag: 17-18mil
Transition Tag: 14 mil

I am thinking the most likely reason we didn't pick it up is because of the language. 13 mil would of been guaranteed for injury.

Just an interesting sidenote, spotrac has 2018 UFA WR Deandre Hopkins at $15.9 mil a year for 6 years if want to throw money at someone Cool

Adopt-a-Bill's
S Corey Graham
LB Preston Brown
Beast M0de

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for proving yourself and being held "accountable" on this team but this is the first move I strongly disagree with McDermott and the Pegulas on.

The going price for WRs is rising every year and the only way i see this front office resigning/franchising Sammy after the year is if he has a monster year. Even then, who knows if he's going to want to re sign here, He had a iffy relationship with some fans online and now the bills declining his option is beyond stupid especially when he was one of the only players whose option was not picked up out of his whole draft class. Hell even Blake bortles option was picked up.

That's best case scenario ^^. What I think is going to happen is he'll have a good/productive season maybe hampered by a couple injuries and miss a couple games. He won't have a great enough season to justify the tag and the front office won't pay him the money he'll get on the open market and he'll walk.

Let's just hope he has a massive year because that's the only way the bills are keeping him past this year. I can't believe his injuries scared them away from locking Sammy into another year on his rookie deal. We all know how talented he is, he'll walk and go to the Pats and kill us every year.

Usually not a pestimistic fan but this was a stupid move. We lose Sammy next year and then have another glaring need at WR.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast M0de wrote:
I'm all for proving yourself and being held "accountable" on this team but this is the first move I strongly disagree with McDermott and the Pegulas on.

The going price for WRs is rising every year and the only way i see this front office resigning/franchising Sammy after the year is if he has a monster year. Even then, who knows if he's going to want to re sign here, He had a iffy relationship with some fans online and now the bills declining his option is beyond stupid especially when he was one of the only players whose option was not picked up out of his whole draft class. Hell even Blake bortles option was picked up.

That's best case scenario ^^. What I think is going to happen is he'll have a good/productive season maybe hampered by a couple injuries and miss a couple games. He won't have a great enough season to justify the tag and the front office won't pay him the money he'll get on the open market and he'll walk.

Let's just hope he has a massive year because that's the only way the bills are keeping him past this year. I can't believe his injuries scared them away from locking Sammy into another year on his rookie deal. We all know how talented he is, he'll walk and go to the Pats and kill us every year.

Usually not a pestimistic fan but this was a stupid move. We lose Sammy next year and then have another glaring need at WR.

What's that have to do with us making the right decision? Because "everyone" else is doing it we should? That's poor logic.

The 5th year option is equal to the transition tag for top 10 picks. It would make Watkins the 4th highest paid receiver in 2018, tied with Mike Evans (who has actually EARNED his money). Is he worth that right now? NO. Especially considering that money is GUARANTEED. It's guaranteed for injury also.

What Bills fans seem to automatically think is that he's as good as gone as of today. This by no means the Bills are finished with Watkins. For all we know they're talking about an extension now, so a 5th year option is irrelevant. Plus if he plays well this year he'll get franchise or transition tagged. They want to be sure they can count on him week to week, and then he'll get his.

Also sort of unrelated, no sense in paying him as a top 5-10 WR when we have nobody who can throw to him. Let's hope that changes so we can justify it.

LeeEvans

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the move. I don't think it affects his future at all but let's the organization cut ties if he gets injured again, which I absolutely think they should if that happens. If Sammy actually manages to play most of the season I think they'll tag him or resign him. It's definitely time for the Bills to see what Sammy can offer because paying him huge amounts of guaranteed money and counting on him only for him to be injured is a huge waste of cap space and the team's time.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Sacrifice is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I was a negative nancy. Laughing

If he balls we franchise him for a few million more and work out a deal and if he sucks we cut ties and work on finding a new #1.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast M0de wrote:

Blake Bortles stays on the field. He's not missing games due to an assortment of injuries. Add to that, that finding an acceptable starting QB is a lot harder than finding a starting WR, making this comparison not especially valid.

We traded away valuable draft picks to move up because he was supposed to be that good. It is totally fair to expect him to dominate. Truth is, when he's on the field, he's a very, very good weapon. And I can't believe that you can't believe injuries shouldn't factor into the decision to offer him a guaranteed contract! Given what we paid to get him, trust me, I want him to terrorize the crap out of opposing DB's. I root for him when he's on the field...and wish he was out there more. This is just a safe business decision and I can't fault the FO for that. This move isn't showing Sammy the door, either, so I think we can let things play out for a while. As stated, it's possible they are working out a contract now. We really don't know.

Adopt a Bill:
I'd like to adopt myself as GM!
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:

If he balls we franchise him for a few million more and work out a deal and if he sucks we cut ties and work on finding a new #1.
Right? It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Sacrifice is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeEvans wrote:
Thelonebillsfan wrote:

Right? It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

Exactly. It also fits in with McD mantra of earning the right to win. Sammy hasn't earned ish yet IMO.

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
leeevans83d

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:

Simple as that. ^^
Beast M0de

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What my point was was that the only way Sammy Watkins is returning to Buffalo next year is if he stays 100% healthy and has a big year because we're not going to franchise him/sign him long term if he misses a couple games. Some team will offer him more in FA based off potential and we'll be without a true #1 and be on the market for another WR; just like this year.

I'd much rather be on the hook for $13 million a year on a true #1 WR that can change the game with the possibility of him being injured. From what I've seen, we're not that cap strapped next year so give me another guaranteed year of Watkins on the Bills.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know why people think it was a dumb move to not offer someone 13.5 million guaranteed for injuries which he is coming off a 2nd foot injury in 2 years who isn't 100% and hasnt been since Week 13 of 2015? Best case scenario for both sides is he is 100% gets 1000+ yards and 8+ td like he did the 1st 2 years and bills franchise him. If this happens no team would let that player walk even if the franchise tag is at 17 mil which it would likely be less then that. The tag is usually 110% of what that player made the previous year or the average of the top 5 salaries at that position whatever is higher. With him making little this year it will likely be top 5 which according to spotrac.com is 15.2 mil so unless im wrong that is the price you are looking at to tag him. So again I ask why would you just hand someone 13.5 mil in 2018 without any production in 2017 over paying a little extra to see him produce and play a full season healthy, if not produce due to injury then this risk of not paying him now will work out. The Team is thinking about the future and not desperate to retain someone who may not be at the level the fans want him to be.

Also bills can offer him the transition tag and pay him 14 mil and allow him to figure out his market by letting him sign with another team and then the bills can match it. So again its not like the bills are just letting him walk because of a 5th year option isnt signed.

Thanks Max

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: