Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bob McGinn with worst mock draft :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
TransientTexan wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

It's just you guys don't want to hear it

That's bull. I have no problem hearing things if they are from experienced, verifiable sources or if they keep a proper perspective of different situations around the league to determine reasonable expectations.

Packerraymond wrote:

Ted has not been good the last 2 years.

Your opinion. I disagree.

Sorry but no scout is going to put their name to a quote anymore. McGinn used to name the personnel guys back when I was younger, but in this day and age with how fast info travels and how many outlets there are, no one is willing to put a name to a quote anymore. That doesn't bother my as McGinn has been interviewing these guys since before I was alive.

I absolutely feel people's problems with McGinn stem from the fact that they can't take anyone criticizing him. His stuff has gotten bad the last 18 months or so, there was a definite spin to it, but it wasnt always that way.

It's been longer than 18 months. It's been since about 2013 that the shift happened. I'm sure McGinn was a great reporter at some point, but how much slack should he be given for work done a decade or longer ago?

If it was only the decline in the quality of his work, that would be a different dilemma, but it's unprofessional antics caused by a personal bitterness. He has the best job in the world and doesn't do it to the best of his ability because he's now being treated like everybody else in his field. There's no sense of perspective there.

If anything, I find it more troubling that he's capable of being a great reporter yet seems determined to turn himself into a hot-take artist. This state has an appetite for great Packers coverage, he's got one of the few platforms left that enable him to operate as a classic sports reporter, yet he chooses not to. It's frustrating and off-putting.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
TransientTexan wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

It's just you guys don't want to hear it

That's bull. I have no problem hearing things if they are from experienced, verifiable sources or if they keep a proper perspective of different situations around the league to determine reasonable expectations.

Packerraymond wrote:

Ted has not been good the last 2 years.

Your opinion. I disagree.

Sorry but no scout is going to put their name to a quote anymore. McGinn used to name the personnel guys back when I was younger, but in this day and age with how fast info travels and how many outlets there are, no one is willing to put a name to a quote anymore. That doesn't bother my as McGinn has been interviewing these guys since before I was alive.

I absolutely feel people's problems with McGinn stem from the fact that they can't take anyone criticizing him. His stuff has gotten bad the last 18 months or so, there was a definite spin to it, but it wasnt always that way.

It's been longer than 18 months. It's been since about 2013 that the shift happened. I'm sure McGinn was a great reporter at some point, but how much slack should he be given for work done a decade or longer ago?

If it was only the decline in the quality of his work, that would be a different dilemma, but it's unprofessional antics caused by a personal bitterness. He has the best job in the world and doesn't do it to the best of his ability because he's now being treated like everybody else in his field. There's no sense of perspective there.

If anything, I find it more troubling that he's capable of being a great reporter yet seems determined to turn himself into a hot-take artist. This state has an appetite for great Packers coverage, he's got one of the few platforms left that enable him to operate as a classic sports reporter, yet he chooses not to. It's frustrating and off-putting.

I agree with this viewpoint, we just don't know if the click-bait, hot take style of story was a change at his own doing or an order from up top to try and generate revenue for a dying brand of media.

It's like Aaron Rodgers over the first half of the season, was anyone happy with him? Not really. Did anyone (besides HZ Wink ) want to get rid of him? No because you knew what he was capable of. McGinn still wrote great articles over the last few years they were just fewer and further apart. No one will replace the sources and knowledge he had, so it's a little disappointing that it's gone.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an interesting note, McGinn's departure surely means there's a vacancy for the MJS position.

I wonder who'll be coming on board. They have to have someone in mind, right?

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
On an interesting note, McGinn's departure surely means there's a vacancy for the MJS position.

Discussion is apparently focusing on Greg Bedard (just laid off by SI). Good GB roots and a decent reporter.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:

Discussion is apparently focusing on Greg Bedard (just laid off by SI). Good GB roots and a decent reporter.

Older members than me would have a better idea of his shenanigans pre-SI. Supposedly well-liked though but I don't have any recollection of his work with GB.

spilltray

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was ok. Nothing special but solid beat writer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
CentralFC wrote:

Older members than me would have a better idea of his shenanigans pre-SI. Supposedly well-liked though but I don't have any recollection of his work with GB.

I pretty much hate everyone and I always thought he did a good job. I remember being kinda bummed he left for NE (I think it was NE). I followed the beat guys far closer than though. I don't even bother now unless you guys link or Reddit does or something.

I posted about it, but he was one of the guys that left that I liked, and that was before I knew McGinn was leaving and Bedard was fired and in the running. So I'd be happy with it.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedard and Nagler are buds, here's an interview they did from the wayback machine. Dateline 2009

CHTV: Have you ever gotten into an altercation (verbal or otherwise) with an employee of the Dolphins or Packers?

Not here with the Packers. Do I have disagreements with some of the staff, players and coaches from time to time?
Yes, but nothing that has resulted in real shouting or anything like that.

In Miami there were a few blowups, which linger to this day. It's funny that people think I love Jason Taylor because I've written the Packers should get him a few times. The truth is, Jason and I departed on not very good terms. It's a very long story that doesn't really need to be told. Obviously I don't think I was wrong and I don't have an image I need protected like some people. It ended with him looking for me after a game. I knew he wanted to confront me but I couldn't wait any longer -- I was on deadline after a 4 p.m. game -- so I had gone up into the press box by the time he emerged. A few writers said it was probably good that I wasn't there.

There's also a certain person in that organization who still bad-mouths me to this day, or so I heard at the Senior Bowl. Of course, my paychecks aren't signed by the Miami Dolphins.

Oh, and I was on the receiving end more than a few times of some classic Nick Saban blowups in his office. Those were always fun. He never got it. He thought I was supposed to be helping them. Uh, that's not my job. He's better off at the college level. I could go on all day about Saban."

Mr Bedard was not popular in either the Packers or Dolphins locker rooms
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like i remember never liking bedard
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Bedard and Nagler are buds, here's an interview they did from the wayback machine. Dateline 2009

CHTV: Have you ever gotten into an altercation (verbal or otherwise) with an employee of the Dolphins or Packers?

Not here with the Packers. Do I have disagreements with some of the staff, players and coaches from time to time?

In Miami there were a few blowups, which linger to this day. It's funny that people think I love Jason Taylor because I've written the Packers should get him a few times. The truth is, Jason and I departed on not very good terms. It's a very long story that doesn't really need to be told. Obviously I don't think I was wrong and I don't have an image I need protected like some people. It ended with him looking for me after a game. I knew he wanted to confront me but I couldn't wait any longer -- I was on deadline after a 4 p.m. game -- so I had gone up into the press box by the time he emerged. A few writers said it was probably good that I wasn't there.

There's also a certain person in that organization who still bad-mouths me to this day, or so I heard at the Senior Bowl. Of course, my paychecks aren't signed by the Miami Dolphins.

Oh, and I was on the receiving end more than a few times of some classic Nick Saban blowups in his office. Those were always fun. He never got it. He thought I was supposed to be helping them. Uh, that's not my job. He's better off at the college level. I could go on all day about Saban."

None of this shocks me tbh. If there's not a bit of frostiness there, he's not doing his job.

The Saban thing is maybe the truest thing I've ever read. You can talk to anybody from the NFL during that time period and they'll have at least one anecdote about his insanity.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bob McGinn with worst mock draft :) Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
Bob McGinn had the worst mock draft: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/5/1/15493170/grading-the-2017-nfl-mock-drafts-judgment-day-for-kiper-mcshay-mayock

Not only did he only match 2 teams correctly, he was only able to garner only 44 points. That's pretty bad given you get one point just for matching a guy to the 1st Round, and 4 for mocking the right pick to a team.

I've never found McGinn to be particularly knowledgeable, and now his sources are feeding him bad information.

Well, it appears he is retiring soon so he won't be producing any more mock drafts for us to endure. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bob McGinn with worst mock draft :) Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Well, it appears he is retiring soon so he won't be producing any more mock drafts for us to endure. Wink

The draft stuff was ok, but only the pre draft information. Immediately post draft he went right back to axe grinding agenda.

Even in the pre draft stuff, there are little digs in there just about ever chance he gets, but at least MOSTLY he discusses the prospects.

Maybe he can go cover the Bears or Vikings. Wherever he goes, I hope it's far far away from covering the Packers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:

None of this shocks me tbh. If there's not a bit of frostiness there, he's not doing his job.

The Saban thing is maybe the truest thing I've ever read. You can talk to anybody from the NFL during that time period and they'll have at least one anecdote about his insanity.

He left GB on sour terms not because of his journalistic pursuits but because he spread an unverified and unverifiable claim about GB assistant coaches receiving pay cuts. Think his source admitted wrongdoing but his image in the GB org.'s eyes is probably partially due to that.

Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember if it was Tom Clements or another asst, but they wouldn't even talk to bedard...

Bedard style= If you replaced your Charmin with 60 grit sandpaper after a night of drinking and gyros. Cool
LacyIsGood

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely miss the draft analysis and weekly breakdowns...assuming those things may be discontinued. Not sure why people are so critical of sports writers. It's just a game, who cares if they disagree with you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: