You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bob McGinn with worst mock draft :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:

TT never even took a single call.

Ted used to sit down with McGinn for a pretty lengthy pre-season interview
I have copies of the 2010 and 2011 sessions; not sure if that continued in recent years
PackyAttacky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not his job to talk to the press outside of the scheduled interviews. I would rather he do more scouting and stuff like that.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

I have copies of the 2010 and 2011 sessions; not sure if that continued in recent years

Ted does an appearance a year more-or-less with re: to these managerial "de-briefs."

McGinn got them on a weekly basis. Thompson leaves that responsibility to McCarthy. TT will speak up come late August, but in the most generic and substantively dense language possible. It's who he is. For a writer like McGinn, who prides himself on "understanding the 5th corner and timing the long snaps," it's got to be incredibly agitating to be closed off entirely.

Sucks he couldn't channel that into something more productive. He offered up a lot of great insight when he was on his game and detached from his biases.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

Well, I was being tongue in cheek. But calling the relationship night and day from Wolf is likely an understatement.
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Can't find where we discussed how TT shut out Bob and that's why he turned so hard on him and it was obvious he didn't like the Favre decision.

Quote:
The MMQB: Over the years you’ve told me you liked dealing with Favre and [GM] Ron Wolf. Why?
McGinn: “That whole team was fun. Favre gave me so much time—after games, after practice, walking out to the buses. He knew every play. Photographic memory. Wolf returned every call. I don’t know if any writer could have ever had a better relationship with a GM than I had with Wolf. Returned every call. Bob, Ron Wolf. He’d [inappropriate/removed] about something for the first 20 minutes. Why the f---! How could you write that s---? That’s BS! That’s contrary to what I told you. I would hold my breath for 45 seconds and let him rant and then you know what he said? Okay, what do you need? And there was no grudge. When a historian goes back and reads our paper for those nine years, that historian will find Ron Wolf explained everything every day! And he came from Al Davis! The paranoia!”

I think that's obvious now.

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/13/themmqb-exit-interview-bob-mcginn-green-bay-packers-milwaukee-journal-sentinel-nfl-beat-writer

There's the whole interview. Not a McGinn guy but I thought it was good, some good stuff at the end there too.

I kind of felt like McGinn would rather sit around and complain about lack of access to the Packers players/organization than do his job and get the access himself.

There's no "gaining access" to the Packers anymore. There's no question at all that since the Harlan/Wolf era ended and the TT/Murphy era started the access to the team has been made far more difficult and the message coming from GB is far more controlled.

The local TV guys and radio guys constantly talk about it. Access to guys in the locker room, access in the stadium on game day, all of it under tons of restriction now. I could see being an old timer and being frustrated by it.

Is that why Ian Rapoport, ect consistently break Packer news before most local guys?

Demo and Wood have gotten pretty good access at the local level. Probably because they develop sources instead of whining about not having easy access to them.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Can't find where we discussed how TT shut out Bob and that's why he turned so hard on him and it was obvious he didn't like the Favre decision.

Quote:
The MMQB: Over the years you’ve told me you liked dealing with Favre and [GM] Ron Wolf. Why?
McGinn: “That whole team was fun. Favre gave me so much time—after games, after practice, walking out to the buses. He knew every play. Photographic memory. Wolf returned every call. I don’t know if any writer could have ever had a better relationship with a GM than I had with Wolf. Returned every call. Bob, Ron Wolf. He’d [inappropriate/removed] about something for the first 20 minutes. Why the f---! How could you write that s---? That’s BS! That’s contrary to what I told you. I would hold my breath for 45 seconds and let him rant and then you know what he said? Okay, what do you need? And there was no grudge. When a historian goes back and reads our paper for those nine years, that historian will find Ron Wolf explained everything every day! And he came from Al Davis! The paranoia!”

I think that's obvious now.

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/13/themmqb-exit-interview-bob-mcginn-green-bay-packers-milwaukee-journal-sentinel-nfl-beat-writer

There's the whole interview. Not a McGinn guy but I thought it was good, some good stuff at the end there too.

I kind of felt like McGinn would rather sit around and complain about lack of access to the Packers players/organization than do his job and get the access himself.

There's no "gaining access" to the Packers anymore. There's no question at all that since the Harlan/Wolf era ended and the TT/Murphy era started the access to the team has been made far more difficult and the message coming from GB is far more controlled.

The local TV guys and radio guys constantly talk about it. Access to guys in the locker room, access in the stadium on game day, all of it under tons of restriction now. I could see being an old timer and being frustrated by it.

Is that why Ian Rapoport, ect consistently break Packer news before most local guys?

Demo and Wood have gotten pretty good access at the local level. Probably because they develop sources instead of whining about not having easy access to them.

They break news from their massive agent connections our guys don't have...
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:

You think Jordy's agent wanted it leaked that he tore is ACL in the preseason before it was official, or do you think Rap knows someone inside the Packers building? I"m guessing the latter.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

You think Jordy's agent wanted it leaked that he tore is ACL in the preseason before it was official, or do you think Rap knows someone inside the Packers building? I"m guessing the latter.

You can diagnose a torn ACL on the field in 3 minutes flat, so its "known" long before it becomes official.
They wanna wait for the MRI to see what else is impacted, but the Packer MDs and players know immediately if its an ACL. News like that spreads quickly through the locker room

There's a bevy of players, coaches, docs, strength/conditioning guys who all have friends and contacts. Really tough to keep a lid on all of them
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

You can diagnose a torn ACL on the field in 3 minutes flat, so its "known" long before it becomes official.
They wanna wait for the MRI to see what else is impacted, but the Packer MDs and players know immediately if its an ACL. News like that spreads quickly through the locker room

There's a bevy of players, coaches, docs, strength/conditioning guys who all have friends and contacts. Really tough to keep a lid on all of them

Obviously. The point is Rapsheet had it first because he probably knows who would have that information first. And this is just one example.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobSacamano wrote:

The point is Rapsheet had it first because he probably knows who would have that information first. And this is just one example.

Agreed.
Rap certainly has moles around the league...and so does FF.
Who do you think got it first ?

Another source is MDs like ProFootballDoc who called it from the video review within an hour after the injury. Now, many of the media guys have a go-to physician who can offer expert opinions pretty quickly based on the video - even without the benefit of inside info
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:

The point is Rapsheet had it first because he probably knows who would have that information first. And this is just one example.

Agreed.
Rap certainly has moles around the league...and so does FF.
Who do you think got it first ?

Another source is MDs like ProFootballDoc who called it from the video review within an hour after the injury. Now, many of the media guys have a go-to physician who can offer expert opinions pretty quickly based on the video - even without the benefit of inside info

The impeccable Dr. Chao, arguably America's preeminent sports physician.

CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Rip McGinn all you want for his Anti Ted slant, but his draft coverage is better than any published magazine, any network or any one columnist.

I would say Nolan Nawrocki has the best draft material out there fours years running since he left PFW. It's a guide almost identical to the incredible guides Joel Buchsbaum made.

https://www.amazon.com/Draft-2017-Preview-Nolan-Nawrocki/dp/0879465859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497554583&sr=8-1&keywords=nolan+nawrocki

Last edited by CalhounLambeau on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:

The impeccable Dr. Chao, arguably America's preeminent sports physician.

HaHa, I'm well aware of his sordid reputation and others here have impugned him in the past- and rightly so
But he's really good at assessing NFL injuries from video review, so he's credible for that work

Wouldn't want him operating on me though... Cool
CentralFC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
Rip McGinn all you want for his Anti Ted slant, but his draft coverage is better than any published magazine, any network or any one columnist.

I would say Nolan Nawrocki has the best draft material out there fours years running since he left PFW. It's a guide almost identical to the incredible guides Joel Buchsbaum made.

https://www.amazon.com/Draft-2017-Preview-Nolan-Nawrocki/dp/0879465859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497554583&sr=8-1&keywords=nolan+nawrocki

Second this. 2017 was my first year reading Nawrocki. Enjoyed it.

CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

Second this. 2017 was my first year reading Nawrocki. Enjoyed it.

So many people have no idea he makes a draft guide. It's easily the best thing out there. Tons of scout quotes you can't see anywhere else. I put it out on Twitter and the draft board here this past year and tons of people ordered it. It actually went out of stock. I have all four of his guides now. So glad he doesn't do the PFW magazine as there is so much content now in his guide. They're literal replicas of Buchsbaum stuff which I've since bought on eBay going back to 1993.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: