Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Decline Option for Pryor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Jets Decline Option for Pryor Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19292762/new-york-jets-exercise-fifth-year-option-calvin-pryor

Not a surprise since we drafted Adams and Maye. I know a lot of us have been wondering what his future will be. IMO, he will stay on the team for 2017 unless he gets outplayed by Rontez Miles or Doug Middleton OR we get a fair trade offer for him. But Pryor's cap hit is cheap, and he could fill that hybrid safety role that Bowles had with Deone Bucannon in AZ.

After 3 years, I think we all know who Pryor is. He is best utilized when close to the line of scrimmage. He was decent covering TEs, but he has no business playing deep at all. I also don't trust him having to make any of the secondary calls. Our rookies are more talented and more well rounded than him. That being said, I do think that hybrid role will be a better fit for Pryor than years past. He's not as big or as good as Bucannon, but he could be effective there.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was excited to see how he would play this season since he did well in 2015 but I'm assuming he wasn't capable of QBing the defense. Check that off as a bust pick that I wanted. Wanted OBJ or Evans that year but both went too high for us. I wasn't a big fan of Cooks for the way our team was built at the time.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
I was excited to see how he would play this season since he did well in 2015 but I'm assuming he wasn't capable of QBing the defense. Check that off as a bust pick that I wanted. Wanted OBJ or Evans that year but both went too high for us. I wasn't a big fan of Cooks for the way our team was built at the time.

Oye I remember specifically stating I would be ok with either Pryor or Cooks back in that draft. Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been nice to have a stud WR like Cooks on the team. At least then he wouldn't have ended up in New England. Laughing
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:

Oye I remember specifically stating I would be ok with either Pryor or Cooks back in that draft. Hindsight is 20/20, but it would have been nice to have a stud WR like Cooks on the team. At least then he wouldn't have ended up in New England. Laughing

Haha we also may not have found out he was a stud with Geno/Fitz at QB
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another defensive wasted 1st Round pick recently to go along with Wilson, Milliner and Coples. 4 big reasons why we aren't good rightbthere. You can't miss in 1st Rounders. I think Pryor won't get traded... but an injury would have to occur for him to get PT. I'd like to see us try him in more a LB role though this year, just to see what he can do.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll play well this season

I feel it

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really needed a wide receiver that year. The previous season we went 8-8 with Geno throwing to Kerley, Hill, Holmes, Gates, Nelson, and Salas. I wanted Cook, Matthews or Adams

Our secondary wasn't great but HaHa or a CB would have been a better choice than Pryor, since he was basically a Rex pick (imo) to stop the run
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to bash Pryor because we all knew what he was. But players like him need defined roles and shouldn't be put in positions they aren't going to excel at.

We have two versatile safeties who should help us on the back end now and hopefully Pryor can go somewhere where he's used to attack the LOS and make plays and never drop into coverage again.

Pryor could be useful on 3rd down blitzing from the Nickel.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
I'm not going to bash Pryor because we all knew what he was. But players like him need defined roles and shouldn't be put in positions they aren't going to excel at.

We have two versatile safeties who should help us on the back end now and hopefully Pryor can go somewhere where he's used to attack the LOS and make plays and never drop into coverage again.

Scary part is Adams and Maye aren't known for being great in coverage either. Not as bad as Pryor but still not great. I think it will only be a matter of time before we start digging Maye's coverage ability and linking it back to him pretty much just being a slightly bette version of Pryor.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

Scary part is Adams and Maye aren't known for being great in coverage either. Not as bad as Pryor but still not great. I think it will only be a matter of time before we start digging Maye's coverage ability and linking it back to him pretty much just being a slightly bette version of Pryor.

It depends on what your definition of great is but Adams coverage is really good and Maye has played both sides as well in college.

Maye's strength will in coverage comes when the play is in front him of him. So it's he in the deep middle he can react and track the ball. He's got a similar play style to Landon Collins when you watch him. He's not going to get lost in coverage for example like Miles did vs Buffalo in week 2 on the Salas touchdown.

Pryor was known for 1 thing, these two are not and that's going to be the difference in their careers. I don't even think Pryor is bad but you just have to play him to his strengths.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

It depends on what your definition of great is but Adams coverage is really good and Maye has played both sides as well in college.

Maye's strength will in coverage comes when the play is in front him of him. So it's he in the deep middle he can react and track the ball. He's got a similar play style to Landon Collins when you watch him. He's not going to get lost in coverage for example like Miles did vs Buffalo in week 2 on the Salas touchdown.

Pryor was known for 1 thing, these two are not and that's going to be the difference in their careers. I don't even think Pryor is bad but you just have to play him to his strengths.
Which is troubling from a head coaching perspective (also with Sheldon)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pissed they passed on Cooks and I still am. This franchise is such garbage, especially when it comes to drafting.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

Yeah but then you remember coaches trying to get the best players on the field and our roster was/is still inbalanced. Our Secondary should be fixed but we need to remove Mo or Sheldon and add an EDGE.

Now you have a defense that fits together and you can do more.

Quote:

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

What I don't understand with Sheldon, why can't we play a four man line? Our LB are nothing to write home about, that we have to play four linebackers none of them are pass rushers, so what is the point. And all our linbackers are all lousy on pass coverage. How many INTs do our LB core have last year?
Bianconero

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a LB pick off a pass in 7 years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: