Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where does Stafford rank as a QB in the NFL?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Where does Stafford rank as a QB in the NFL? Reply with quote

Is he a top 5 guy yet?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?

Right now id put him in the lower half of the top 10 with guys like

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton ahead of him with Winston and possibly Mariota nipping at his heels.

What say you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where does Stafford rank as a QB in the NFL? Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
Is he a top 5 guy yet?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton ahead of him with Winston and possibly Mariota nipping at his heels.

What say you?

I wouldn't put Andrew Luck ahead of Stafford.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Where does Stafford rank as a QB in the NFL? Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
Is he a top 5 guy yet?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?

What say you?

I was thinking this myself. He is a very good QB on a bad team, similar to Stafford over his career. If I were starting a team today, I would easily go with Luck over Stafford but as far as where they rank on ability right now its close. Neither has proven they are winners in the NFL, but both have shown flashes.

I feel the same with Matt Ryan. He had a great year last year, but he has to do it more consistently IMO. I would take Stafford over Ryan but I am sure there is some bias there.
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Where does Stafford rank as a QB in the NFL? Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
Is he a top 5 guy yet?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?

What say you?

so u got Stafford at 8 and Luck behind that then?

Sllim Pickens wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
Is he a top 5 guy yet?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?

What say you?

I was thinking this myself. He is a very good QB on a bad team, similar to Stafford over his career. If I were starting a team today, I would easily go with Luck over Stafford but as far as where they rank on ability right now its close. Neither has proven they are winners in the NFL, but both have shown flashes.

I feel the same with Matt Ryan. He had a great year last year, but he has to do it more consistently IMO. I would take Stafford over Ryan but I am sure there is some bias there.

Matt Ryan has had good years and bad years, just as Stafford. Ryan is more of a polished pro I feel like and has shown he can win a few big games here and there. I would put Ryan ahead of him but I think when its all said and done Stafford will rank higher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a Top 10-ish guy. I could believe an argument for him being in that 8-12 range, so 10 splits the difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does Stafford rank as a QB in the NFL? Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
Is he a top 5 guy yet?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?

What say you?

so u got Stafford at 8 and Luck behind that then?

Sllim Pickens wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
Is he a top 5 guy yet?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Top 20?

What say you?

Matt Ryan has had good years and bad years, just as Stafford. Ryan is more of a polished pro I feel like and has shown he can win a few big games here and there. I would put Ryan ahead of him but I think when its all said and done Stafford will rank higher.

#1-3 Rodgers, Brady, Brees
#4-7 Roethlisberger, Wilson, Newton, Ryan
#8 Stafford

So yes.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this dance for years and people consistently undervalue him.

List of QB's whom a legitimate amount of people in these parts argued were better than Stafford at some point:

-Mark Sanchez
- Josh Freeman
- Matt Schaub
- Jake Locker
- Ryan Tannehill
- Colin Kaepernick
- RG3
- Jay Cutler
- Nick Foles
- Kirk Cousins
- Teddy Bridgewater
- Andy Dalton
- Joe Flacco
- Alex Smith
- Blake Bortles

On, and on. Only point being Stafford never gets the respect he deserves. I think a lot of it has to do with being picked #1; a good bit has to do with the money he makes; I think most fans are turned off by Strong Armed QB's to an extent. They see that natural physical trait and hold it against him. Some of it simply has to do with people not knowing what they're watching, to be honest.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can throw stats and records at me all day, but Ryan is not better than Stafford. Put Stafford in THAT offense, and he does better than Ryan.

detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton, really?

detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stafford sure as hell doesnt have near the resume, but I think hes passed Roethlisberger, in terms of right now; shoot me.

detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we get to hear the complete and utter disregard for the other 52 players on the team and the coaching, whom the same people arguing against Stafford, acknowledge has been bad since he was drafted.

Honestly, looking back, I would say Stafford had a 'good' team around him just 1 year of his career; 2014. And that entire team was held back by a joke of an OC, whom everyone on offense didnt get.

Lions017

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that these guys are definitely better than Matt Stafford...

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

That's about it. Stafford is right there in the mix in the next tier, with guys like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck, and Cam Newton. You could even argue that Roethlisberger or Rivers have regressed if you want, I suppose. Top 10 seems pretty safe the more than I look at it.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

List of QB's whom a legitimate amount of people in these parts argued were better than Stafford at some point:

-Mark Sanchez
- Josh Freeman
- Matt Schaub
- Jake Locker
- Ryan Tannehill
- Colin Kaepernick
- RG3
- Jay Cutler
- Nick Foles
- Kirk Cousins
- Teddy Bridgewater
- Andy Dalton
- Joe Flacco
- Alex Smith
- Blake Bortles

On, and on. Only point being Stafford never gets the respect he deserves. I think a lot of it has to do with being picked #1; a good bit has to do with the money he makes; I think most fans are turned off by Strong Armed QB's to an extent. They see that natural physical trait and hold it against him. Some of it simply has to do with people not knowing what they're watching, to be honest.

At some point, most of those had a case that they were or could be better. Are you sure they were the one with a bias?
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

-Mark Sanchez
- Josh Freeman
- Matt Schaub
- Jake Locker
- Ryan Tannehill
- Colin Kaepernick
- RG3
- Jay Cutler
- Nick Foles
- Kirk Cousins
- Teddy Bridgewater
- Andy Dalton
- Joe Flacco
- Alex Smith
- Blake Bortles

At some point, most of those had a case that they were or could be better. Are you sure they were the one with a bias?

I'll connect the dots for you; a good portion of these guys, clearly are not better than Stafford. Just because they had a better statistical season, didnt make them better, like I often argued. You notice there is a variety of ages / time frames to work with. If they were truly better, it would become more, and more evident over time; instead, the opposite has happened.

Now I guess you can argue that they regressed, Stafford progressed, they've been unlucky, Staffords been lucky, whatever.

detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I think that these guys are definitely better than Matt Stafford...

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Philip Rivers

That's about it. Stafford is right there in the mix in the next tier, with guys like Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck, and Cam Newton. You could even argue that Roethlisberger or Rivers have regressed if you want, I suppose. Top 10 seems pretty safe the more than I look at it.

Brees, Rodgers, Brady are the only ones I would say are better right now.

After that, I would probably go Stafford, Wilson, Luck.

I just pray this oline plays up to snuff so you guys can see what I see.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: