Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Takeaways From the NFL Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stl4life07

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument of skipping bowl games to not risk injury is Sidney Jones who got hurt at his pro day or players who get dinged up during the combine workout. Like there is a long time between the end of the college regular season and the draft that a player can get hurt during a bowl game just like they can get hurt at the combine or pro day.
Forge

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl4life07 wrote:
The argument of skipping bowl games to not risk injury is Sidney Jones who got hurt at his pro day or players who get dinged up during the combine workout. Like there is a long time between the end of the college regular season and the draft that a player can get hurt during a bowl game just like they can get hurt at the combine or pro day.

the only difference there is that not doing the combine or pro day would actually hurt your draft stock (in most cases...obviously Corey Davis didn't have a problem with it). But you could do those and avoid private workouts like McCaffrey did this year. Skipping the bowl game is unlikely to affect your stock at all.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
stl4life07

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
stl4life07 wrote:

the only difference there is that not doing the combine or pro day would actually hurt your draft stock (in most cases...obviously Corey Davis didn't have a problem with it). But you could do those and avoid private workouts like McCaffrey did this year. Skipping the bowl game is unlikely to affect your stock at all.

I know what you mean but my point is a player can get hurt any time. A handful of players the bowl game won't affect draft stock but for the rest it's just another game on film to evaluate which is never a bad thing. Like even players skipping the senior bowl. More players are getting draft high that attend the senior bowl than ever before.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "resurgence of the running back" narrative in the NFL is pretty much dead. For years the 2017 RB class was talked about the one that might get four or five or even six guys taken in the first round, and when the dust settles... there are more WRs (and tight ends) taken in the first than RBs.

I think we can conclude that when there's a really rare talent at RB, he'll go high, but that's been the case for a while. Teams are content to let that sub-elite tier of RB fall to day 2, and likely will be for the foreseeable future.
stl4life07

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
I think the "resurgence of the running back" narrative in the NFL is pretty much dead. For years the 2017 RB class was talked about the one that might get four or five or even six guys taken in the first round, and when the dust settles... there are more WRs (and tight ends) taken in the first than RBs.

I think we can conclude that when there's a really rare talent at RB, he'll go high, but that's been the case for a while. Teams are content to let that sub-elite tier of RB fall to day 2, and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

I think if you looked ahead you saw the resurgence of 1st round backs. Marcus Lattimore would've easily been a 1st round pick if he didn't get hurt. I knew Gurley was a 1st round pick. Couldn't say that same about Gordon but he ended up being a 1st round pick. Last year Elliot was a 1st round pick. As for Fournette, I knew from the time he stepped foot at LSU I knew he was a 1st round pick. At one point I thought he would be the 1st overall pick. Heck if Gurley didn't get hurt I thought he would've went 3rd overall to the Jags in 2015. I didn't see McCaffrey as a 1st round pick in college but his stock shot to the 1st round to top 15 to top 10. Had Mixon and Cook not have all their issues they could've been 1st round picks as well. I guess what I'm saying is that these guys the last 3 years were so talented that the resurgence had a lot to do with franchises just being hard press to pass up on elite talent which is what the 1st round is all about because a teams just can't miss on their 1st round pick.
NS922

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

Injuries (Chubb) and off the field incidents (Cook,Mixon) had a lot to do with that.
buno67

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl4life07 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
Take away from the NFL draft...

NFL teams dont care if you skip your bowl game. If you are a projected 1st/2nd rd pick. If you are not in the playoffs, dont bother risking playing. I know some guys will still play but the risk is crazy. Butt lost at least $million dollars playing. Fournette and McCaff wasnt hurt by it at all. If a player is truly worried about getting hurt, they shouldnt feel like they will hurt their draft stock. If you are a projected 3rd or later round pick, playing in the game could help you but if you are a projected 1st 2nd guy, that bowl game isnt going to hurt you.

Yeah I'm scared that's gonna be a trend. I'll just say football players play. Nobody will be able to do anything about it though just like the NBA with players resting.

God, please let it be a trend. It will force the NCAA to change up the playoffs and bowl system.

We really dont need 30+ bowl games and for the love of god give us a playoff bigger than 4 teams. Every other level of college football does a playoff double digit teams and it doesnt take anything away from them. With a college football national championship on the line, I dont see players sitting out.

I understand sitting out of the Alamo Bowl, it wont benefit your legacy as a player, win you a title, and if you are a top tier prospect; it wont really change the way you are viewed. Now its a playoff game, players will want to win a title.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:

Injuries (Chubb) and off the field incidents (Cook,Mixon) had a lot to do with that.

Heck I wasnt talking abut RBs sitting out and being the ones to benefit the most when I made my comments. I was thinking about Jake Butt the most. He should of been a top50 pick in the draft. Blows his knee out in the meaningless bowl game and dropped down in the draft. Costed himself around $2m. He had insurance but it will only pay out $500k. That is big money to use but for a NFL player and the money he left on the table its a big deal

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:

People were still out there trying to sell us on the idea that Kamara was a first round talent. I think it's safe going forward to just cut off that second tier of RBs and put them on day 2.

Regarding Kamara, considering his best tape by far is the Texas game, I sort of wonder if we're seeing the Big 12 eat itself. This year the Big 12 managed only 14 drafted players, the least of the "power 5" conferences and one less than the AAC which was was booted from relevancy with the end of the BCS. The Kamara tape against Texas was kind of meaningless because Texas's defense (like every other defense in the Big 12 seemingly) was fairly fraudulent.

So there's not really talent on defense coming out of the Big 12 (or at least it doesn't seem that way since those defenses are so bad) so you can't necessarily trust the tape of offensive players against Big 12 defenses.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

Well, it certainly didn't help that 2+ of those guys who were figured to go in the 1st had legitimate character/injury concerns (the recurring theme I heard over and over again from all manner of sources was that teams weren't willing to risk that 1st round pick into Dalvin Cook because they had him flagged for character) and another one (Chubb) inexplicably decided not to declare.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big takeaway...

Miracles do happen.

Not one arrest or citation at the draft all weekend. That's amazing.

Seriously, we're awesome. We all may or may not have mild-at-best psychological issues, but we are damn fun.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one take away from this draft is that I still don't know anything. I'll keep working on that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: