Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Takeaways From the NFL Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stl4life07

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Takeaways From the NFL Draft Reply with quote

-Even in a supposedly deep and talented defensive draft class, offense still ruled the top 10. 7 offensive players went in the top 10. That included (2) quarterbacks (2) running backs, and (3) wide receivers.

-Trades ruled everything and it made for a very entertaining draft. 38 total trades. This draft class was so rich with talent that some teams wanted to trade down to get those mid round draft picks where great value was, while others traded up to target talent that knew many teams coveted. Example was Mahomes, the Saints really wanted him at pick 11, the Cardinals raved about him and plenty people linked him to the Texans. The Chiefs knew if they was going to get Mahomes, they had to jump the Saints at best.

-Character concerns??? What character concerns??? Despite the off the field issues that were well known, Conley was still drafted in the 1st round and Mixon was still drafted in the 2nd round. Now I feel bad for Collins last year because his accusations last year got his stock dropped from the 1st round to being undrafted. Conley accusation didnt effect him that much. I mean he wouldve went higher in the 1st round without the accusation but he still got drafted in the 1st round.

-The OL class was really really weak. I dont see how anyone could bash a team if they didnt take an offensive lineman in this class. After maybe the 2nd round, the drop off from OL prospects just fell off a cliff. Teams saw great value at other positions than OL prospects. Next year's draft class should be strong at OL so teams probably just waiting for next year to find their next elite caliber OL prospect.

-The TE class was awesome. Three tight ends went in the 1st round. Five tight ends went in the top 45 picks. Then there was still great value throughout the rest of the draft class. The Broncos got a steal in Jake Butt when he gets healthy.

-The year of the sitting QB. Seems like every QB that got draft is in a position to sit. Trubisky will be sitting behind Glennon in Chicago. Mahomes will be sitting behind Smith in KC. Webb will sitting behind Eli with the Giants. Dobbs will be sitting behind Big Ben in Pittsburgh. Kaaya will be sitting behind Stafford in Detroit. Peterman will be sitting behind Taylor in Buffalo. The only QBs that actually have a legit shot to straight out win the starting job is Watson in Houston, Kizer in Cleveland, and Bethard in San Fran. That just goes to show you how weak this draft class was that teams drafted these guys to really sit. Barring injuries, I dont see but maybe 2 of these guys being in the starting lineup for at least a handful of games this season. My guess would be Watson and Kizer should have the easiest route to start alot of games this season.

-Injuries made value picks very valuable. Players dropped because of injuries. Johnanthan Allen, Reuben Foster, Sidney Jones, and Jake Butt are just a few names that fell the draft with injury concerns. Digging even deeper, Marshon Lattimore fell outside the top 10 because teams were concern with his hamstring problems. The only shocker was Corey Davis was taken at 5 despite him not running a 40 time because of an ankle injury. Many thought he would slide to outside the top 15 because of that even though most thought he was the best receiver in the class.

-So many GM's and Head Coaches put their jobs on the line during this draft. You dont think the Bears GM Pace or HC Fox will get fired if Trubisky dont pan out? Same thing with guys like the Raiders and Bengals front office who took risks with the character concern players. If Conley accusations are true, thats a wasted pick by the Raiders and those somebody will take the blame and could lose their job.

-The Patriots had fewer picks but the players they traded those picks for are far better than any prospect they could have get if they kept those picks and drafted in those rounds. Cooks, Ealy, and Allen is worth it. And here I thought that is only done in Madden lol.

-Its about making your QB happy. The Bucs made Winston happy with Howard and Godwin. The Bengals are replishing Dalton weapons by giving him Ross and Mixon. The Rams made Goff happy with Everett, Kupp, and Reynolds. The Chargers made Rivers happy with Williams and giving him two very good interior linemen in Lamp and Feeney. Eli is happy with Engram and all the other weapons he already have with the Giants. Cam has to be happy with the Panthers giving him McCaffrey and Samuels. Even Brees has another weapon in Kamara out of the backfield to add to Ingram and AP.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we still classify Conley as a "Character concern" seeing the video, know what happened was consensual and knowing he had reportedly an impeccable reputation prior to this?
MWil23

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
Do we still classify Conley as a "Character concern" seeing the video, know what happened was consensual and knowing he had reportedly an impeccable reputation prior to this?

Yes for a few reasons:

1. There is CAUSE for concern anytime you are implicated in what he was implicated in. There were charges, etc.

2. These charges, while they look fabricated, have not been dropped and there is an ongoing investigation.

3. Even though what he did was far from illegal, it brings into question his intelligence/common sense just days before the draft.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
MSURacerDT55 wrote:

Yes for a few reasons:

1. There is CAUSE for concern anytime you are implicated in what he was implicated in. There were charges, etc.

2. These charges, while they look fabricated, have not been dropped and there is an ongoing investigation.

3. Even though what he did was far from illegal, it brings into question his intelligence/common sense just days before the draft.

There were no charges. It was reported earlier in the month and the police were still investigating, but up to date, have not brought forth any charges. They still could at some point, but they haven't. The most you could say is that there was an accusation and investigation stemming from that accusation.

As to point #3, he went out. That doesn't necessarily show bad decision-making just because he didn't hole himself up for months after the season ended. It also wasn't days before the Draft. That's when it came out to the media, but it was actually in the beginning of the month.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've taken from the draft is I'm shocked Takk hasn't been fined yet or put in a gulliotine by Goodell.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
buno67

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take away from the NFL draft...

NFL teams dont care if you skip your bowl game. If you are a projected 1st/2nd rd pick. If you are not in the playoffs, dont bother risking playing. I know some guys will still play but the risk is crazy. Butt lost at least $million dollars playing. Fournette and McCaff wasnt hurt by it at all. If a player is truly worried about getting hurt, they shouldnt feel like they will hurt their draft stock. If you are a projected 3rd or later round pick, playing in the game could help you but if you are a projected 1st 2nd guy, that bowl game isnt going to hurt you.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
What I've taken from the draft is I'm shocked Takk hasn't been fined yet or put in a gulliotine by Goodell.

Hasnt signed the Contract yet. So he isnt offically part of the NFL I believe and Goodell cant yet touch him. I bet the first thing he doesnt with that signing bonus is pay that fine Goodell will have waiting for him the minute he finishes signing the contract.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

NFL teams dont care if you skip your bowl game. If you are a projected 1st/2nd rd pick. If you are not in the playoffs, dont bother risking playing. I know some guys will still play but the risk is crazy. Butt lost at least $million dollars playing. Fournette and McCaff wasnt hurt by it at all. If a player is truly worried about getting hurt, they shouldnt feel like they will hurt their draft stock. If you are a projected 3rd or later round pick, playing in the game could help you but if you are a projected 1st 2nd guy, that bowl game isnt going to hurt you.

The Alabama game made Watson relevant.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
Forge

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

Nor should they. It's a glorified exhibition game that means little to nothing. Hell, McCaffrey wouldn't even hold private work outs for teams I believe. There is too much on the line in my opinion. I probably wouldn't play either. If you are fairly comfortable in your draft positioning, just too much risk. These kids are in the business of themselves, I would like to think if nothing else, front offices could respect that.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

This. The only thing they're really giving up is their game check.
stl4life07

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

Yeah I'm scared that's gonna be a trend. I'll just say football players play. Nobody will be able to do anything about it though just like the NBA with players resting.
Forge

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl4life07 wrote:
buno67 wrote:

Yeah I'm scared that's gonna be a trend. I'll just say football players play. Nobody will be able to do anything about it though just like the NBA with players resting.

Personally, I hope it is a trend.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl4life07 wrote:
buno67 wrote:

Why risk tearing an ACL on your last day in a meaningless game? If you drop from the 2nd round to the 5th you're sacrificing millions, all so your HC can attract recruits?

It's easy to say "team first", but we're not the ones who run the risk of seeing our salary over 4 years drop by 50/60/70% or more due to an avoidable injury.
daineraider

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
stl4life07 wrote:
buno67 wrote:

Why risk tearing an ACL on your last day in a meaningless game? If you drop from the 2nd round to the 5th you're sacrificing millions, all so your HC can attract recruits?

It's easy to say "team first", but we're not the ones who run the risk of seeing our salary over 4 years drop by 50/60/70% or more due to an avoidable injury.

So at what point do the games become meaningless? Unless you are a 1 loss team or undefeated youre probably not going to the playoffs. So do you quit playing as soon as you lose a game? I get the argument for the kids future, but what games do mean something other than the playoffs anymore?

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
stl4life07 wrote:
buno67 wrote:

So at what point do the games become meaningless? Unless you are a 1 loss team or undefeated youre probably not going to the playoffs. So do you quit playing as soon as you lose a game? I get the argument for the kids future, but what games do mean something other than the playoffs anymore?

That's a good point, and it's a big reason I don't enjoy college football. Once a team loses more than one game, your chance at a championship is essentially shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: