Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top Targets for 2018 Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Top Targets for 2018 Draft Reply with quote

Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama: The 6-1, 203-pound Fitzpatrick was a first-team All-American as a sophomore after picking off six passes and returning two for scores. He also returned both of his interceptions as a freshman for touchdowns. Projected Round (2018): 1

Derwin James, S, Florida State: Entering the 2016 season, there was hype that James is an elite player and perhaps the best defensive player in college football. James totaled 11 tackles through two games in 2016 before suffering a season-ending knee injury. As a freshman in 2015, James had a strong debut with 91 tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, four passes broken up, two forced fumbles and zero interceptions. He has a great athletic skill set. Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State: McFadden was up and down in 2016, but he has a ton of talent to grow into a better player. Sometimes, he looked great but other times, he seemed lost. McFadden still tied for the nation's lead in interceptions with eight. He also has 20 tackles and six passes broken up. McFadden has great size with a ton of upside to improve his consistency as a junior in 2017. Projected Round (2018): 1

Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech: In 2016, Alexander had 44 tackles with seven passes broken up and two interceptions. He was extremely impressive as a freshman with 55 tackles, four interceptions and six passes broken up. Alexander has a lot of size and length to battle big receivers. Projected Round (2018): 1

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville: Alexander was very good for Louisville in 2016, racking up 39 tackles with nine passes broken up and five interceptions. He also was a dangerous punt returner. There is a lot of upside for Alexander to develop. Projected Round (2018): 1-3

Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M: Watts made a lot of clutch plays for the Aggies in 2016. He had 56 tackles with six for a loss, two forced fumbles, three passes broken up and two interceptions on the year. Watts totaled 126 tackles with two passes broken up and one interception in 2015. Like teammate Myles Garrett, Watts was an impressive freshman who was impossible to ignore in 2014. He totaled 59 tackles with nine passes broken up and three interceptions that season. Watts has displayed some instincts and play-making skills, but needs to improve his tackling. Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

Malik Jefferson*, ILB/OLB, Texas: In 2016, Jefferson recorded 59 tackles with 5.5 sacks and three passes broken up. The numbers don't illustrate how good of a linebacker he was. Jefferson was highly recruited and showed why as a freshman contributor for the Longhorns. He totaled 61 tackle with seven for a loss, 2.5 sacks, three passes broken up and one forced fumble in 2015. Jefferson had a bigger presence than the numbers illustrate. Projected Round (2018): 1-3

Cameron Smith*, ILB, USC: As a sophomore, Smith totaled 83 tackles with seven for a loss, one sack, four passes broken up and one forced fumble. He started as a freshman in 2015 while totaling 78 tackles, three interceptions, and three passes broken up. Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin: Fumagelli had an impressive junior season with 47 receptions for 580 yards and two touchdowns. He has good size and comes from a pro style offense. As a sophomore, Fumagalli made 28 catches for 313 yards and one score. Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State: Gesicki turned in an impressive 2016 season with 48 receptions for 679 yards and five touchdowns. It was a huge increase in production over his sophomore and freshman years when he was a backup. Projected Round (2018): 3-5.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would throw some QBs in there. I doubt we will be in position to get any of the top ones, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Derwin James isn't a target of ours. If so, that means the FO believes we will be picking in the top 5!

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McFadden got burnt a lot last year but also seemed like he got an interception every game. If he can improve his technique, I think he can be a legit #1 corner in the NFL.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
oksteeler

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Way too early so I will just go with what I know at this point:

Steven Parker FS Oklahoma 6'1" 203lbs a playmaker and a true free safety with ball skills. He will have a long and successful NFL career as a starting safety. (second or third round pick)

Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma 6'5" 253lbs and a true seam busting TE. A redzone star with basketball positioning skills. Willing and capable blocker(late first round pick)

Not being a homer, I just haven't scouted much of the 2018 class and these are the two players I know of that best fit the Steelers.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Andrews the tight end from Oklahoma is legit and should be high on Steelers fans radar.

Be very cautious of all the hype surrounding Josh Allen. He is exciting, but is wildly inaccurate at times. He's a more athletic version of Davis Webb with Patrick Mahomes type decision making at this point. He has a ways to go and it is difficult for me to imagine him fixing all that in one year, not to mention level of competition experience is not significant in the Mountain West. So that would also be a factor in his learning curve. I could see a scenario where he is pushed into the end of the first round in the 20's but find it difficult to imagine top 10 truly worthy.

Darnold and Rosen are more in line with top 10 thinking. Darnold's line will be somewhat decimated losing three starters and both tackles. So that could makes things interesting. I expect him to be a Jet unless Cleveland can trade up in front of them. In other words its highly likely to be a rough year in New York.

Luke Falk needs to take it to another level and prove that he is not a benefactor of the system. I saw exciting things from him a few years ago but also saw some things I would've hoped he'd improved on or overcome by now last year, kind of the Deshaun Watson scenario. Significantly good at times early but not much improved from that time.

Jackson from Louisville is a crazy scary runner in the open field but has quite a ways to go as a quarterback.

Kyle Allen - Houston will be somebody to keep tabs on.

Safety should be a primary area of concentration for Pittsburgh.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Shefter (sp?) was on M&M in the M and he said Allen was the best QB to come out in the last 5 years. He based that on physical traits. He projected him to be the #1 overall pick over Rosen and Darnold.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I would throw some QBs in there. I doubt we will be in position to get any of the top ones, though.

I didn't do QBs yet just because of this years draft. Figured I'd wait and see after camp
MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Whitehead*, S, Pittsburgh
Height: 5-11. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.
4/13/17: Whitehead is a physical safety who has good instincts. He broke out as a freshman with 108 tackles, six passes broken up, one interception and one forced fumble. In 2016, Whitehead had 65 tackles with two breakups and an interception while missing multiple games with an arm injury.

Ronnie Harrison*, S, Alabama
Height: 6-3. Weight: 216.
Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.
4/13/17: Harrison had a strong 2016 season for Alabama with 86 tackles, seven passes broken up and two interceptions. He notched two interceptions and six breakups as a freshman in 2015. As a junior, Harrison could take his game to another level.

Cam Serigne, TE, Wake Forest
Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.
4/6/17: Serigne has been a steady producer as a receiver for Wake Forest in his career. As a freshman in 2014, he made 54 receptions for 531 yards with five touchdowns. Serigne stayed consistent as a sophomore with 46 catches for 562 yards and four touchdowns. In 2016, he caught 30 passes for 426 yards and three touchdowns.

DeAndre Goolsby, TE, Florida
Height: 6-4. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2018): 2-4.
4/6/17: Goolsby flashed some receiving ability in 2015 with his 17 receptions for 277 yards and one touchdown. Despite poor quarterback play, Goolsby showed improvement in 2016 with 38 receptions for 342 yards and three scores.
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a really tough one. Positionally, what is a real need? ILB?

DL: I personally think that is solid across the board, if not outstanding.

LB: Assuming Watt, Shazier and Dupree stay healthy and play up to their ability (and continue developing), 3 of the 4 should have top notch studs. Do we have a quality ILB next to Shazier? I think average or so, could be upgraded.

CB: We don't really know what we have here. It might be like ILB. Some average guys but no high quality starter. Maybe we'll get lucky and a CB and an ILB will step up and be the long-term answer.

S: Davis is going to be good, and I saw where Butler was comparing Allen to Davis. Could a move to FS be in the works for him? A guy that doesn't know how to tackle yet? I personally think Mitchell needs replaced, so this is probably my top need right and priority now since I don't see Allen as a S with his tackling. Mitchell's 8.1 mill cap hit can be gone with only a 1.76 mill cap hit in '18, so he could easily be a cap casualty.

OL: Foster is 31 and '18 is his last contract year. Villanueva is a RFA next year. Pouncey is around until at least '19 due to dead cap if he's cut before then. DeCastro isn't going anywhere, nor is Gilbert. So you could look at LT and LG as potential needs, but that's more for '19 than '18.

RB: Is Bell re-signed? If he isn't, is Conner the answer?

WR: Brown will be 29 but will have far too much cap hit if he's cut before 2021, so he's the #1 for the foreseeable future barring injury. With JuJu drafted, assuming he's good, WR isn't a pressing need (as in 1st round stuff) but I still don't think the depth is very good since you can't rely on Bryant at all as the JuJu pick indicates, and the rest are mediocre at best. But, Eli and Sammie are not the worst options for a #4-5 WR.

TE: James is ok, but nothing special. Green is an after thought. Grimble showed the ability to make plays last year. I wanted Shaheen this year big time, so obviously I considered TE an early need. So since they didn't address it, it's clearly going to be a top need next year unless Grimble or someone steps up.

QB: Does Ben retire? If so, huge need.

The hardest part about this, aside from simply not knowing what needs you'll have, is at this point usually the guys you know are going to be top picks and the Steelers shouldn't be able to even think about drafting any of them. For me right now though:

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State - I'd take him over any RB in this year's vaunted class except McCaffrey. Stud. Top 5 pick though probably.

Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa - IF Bell is gone and Conner is around, Wadley would be the perfect compliment to Conner. Conner is a big, physical guy lacking big play ability. Wadley is under 200 lbs but is a very fast, explosive, big play guy. Maybe a bit like Tevin Coleman in playing style, but not as physical. A 1-cut and go with a lot of burst type guy.

Mike McGlinchey, LT, Notre Dame - If it's a need and he's around which is doubtful.

Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame - May as well stick with the Irish for another OL target if it's a need and he's available. If there are no glaring weaknesses elsewhere, I'd take him for sure.

Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Miss State - I didn't watch him a lot but he looks like a playmaker. Maybe a bit too much like the guy the Steelers already drafted?

Luke Falk, QB, Wash State - He's pretty thin with a good but not great arm. Accurate. His system is the red flag on him. He's good though.

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming - The developmental guy. Better size, again inaccurate which I don't like.

(The QBs I liked this year that I watched more were the true freshmen playing at Georgia and South Carolina)

SAM HUBBARD, OLB, Ohio State - My #1 target this year. I think you take him and start him opposite Dupree, and slide Watt in to ILB as a Chad Brown type player. He'll probably be long gone too though.

Tyquan Lewis, OLB, Ohio State - I'd take him too but not as early.

For DB, anyone with good size and speed I'll be checking out. Haven't watched any of these guys much yet.
MDSteeler1971

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAM HUBBARD, OLB, Ohio State - My #1 target this year. I think you take him and start him opposite Dupree, and slide Watt in to ILB as a Chad Brown type player. He'll probably be long gone too though.

Why would we draft OLB? There is zero need until maybe 3rd or 4th round. ILB will be a huge need unless the ones we have step up greatly!
Allen is a CB project so who knows what we do with him.
Mitchell will need his heir apparent...
TheClocksTickin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDSteeler1971 wrote:

Why would we draft OLB? There is zero need until maybe 3rd or 4th round. ILB will be a huge need unless the ones we have step up greatly!
Allen is a CB project so who knows what we do with him.
Mitchell will need his heir apparent...

He said he'd move Watt inside, creating a need for an edge rusher.
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD, my quote feature doesn't work, but as TheClocksTickin pointed out, I clearly said I'd be looking at Hubbard as an OLB with Watt sliding inside to play ILB like a Chad Brown did back in the day. I don't know if you were around back then, but I was a big Chad Brown fan. If only he hadn't chased the money. He'd be remembered as a Greg Lloyd caliber player. Good ILB (up to 8.5 sacks there) and when injuries forced him to he moved outside and was a 13 sack OLB (in 14 games). Then he left to chase the money in Seattle.

So if Watt would be a Brown-type ILB, capable of getting you 8.5 sacks, and Hubbard could be the stud with 10+ sacks every year as I think he could be, along with Shazier and Dupree, that would be a nasty linebacking corp.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Adam Shefter (sp?) was on M&M in the M and he said Allen was the best QB to come out in the last 5 years. He based that on physical traits. He projected him to be the #1 overall pick over Rosen and Darnold.

Thats not exactly what he said. He said if he could continues to progress and work on his decision making and footwork (which cause the accuracy issues) he has the physical traits to be the best quarterback in the last 5 years. He does have him ranked as his #2.

Thats funny because the above is the case with just about every qb. His physical traits arent really any better than Kizer's.

His accuracy issues are far more concern than he and others are making them out to be. He has a ways to go in the accuracy column for a qb expected to come out next year. His accuracy looks more like a two year issue to watch, Id be surprised if it changed that much in on season. If he goes from 56% to 58 or 60% Id be more comfortable but it would still be something that needs to be developed. The numbers are just a reflection but not necessarily the guiding factor, that can improve just on the types of throws they are making but his location accuracy is erratic at times.

When I first saw Allen I was excited too, then I watched more and became more pessimistic, Same with how I saw Davis Webb, (a far less mobile Allen comparison.)

One qb you see very little about is Kyle Allen from Houston. Very interested in seeing how he has evolved.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
McFadden got burnt a lot last year but also seemed like he got an interception every game. If he can improve his technique, I think he can be a legit #1 corner in the NFL.

I don't think I could stomach another McFadden CB out of Florida St, TBH. Sounds like this guy isn't, much, if any, better than the first McFadden1 Cornerback we drafted from FSU. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: