You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Projecting our Week 1 53 man roster
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DalCowboyzRule


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 23395
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Projecting our Week 1 53 man roster Reply with quote

So here we are after the draft, the season is still 4 months away. Some moves will still be made, players will be added, players will be traded and players will be cut.

But saying that, the majority of the Cowboys Week 1 roster is already here barring any major surprises.

Here is my 53 man roster for when we take on the Giants...

Trades

- We trade Orlando Scandrick and a 6th to ??? for a 4th round pick
- We trade Alfred Morris to ??? for a conditional 7th

rookie/1st year player
new addition (non rookie)
Returning starter

Offense (24)

QB (2): Dak Prescott | Kellen Moore
RB (3): Ezekiel Elliott | Darren McFadden | Jahad Thomas
FB (1): Keith Smith
WRX (2): Dez Bryant | Noah Brown
WRZ (2): Terrance Williams | Brice Butler
SLOT WR (2): Cole Beasley | Ryan Switzer
TE (3): Jason Witten | Geoff Swaim | Rico Gathers
LT (1): Tyron Smith
LG (2): La'el Collins | Jonathan Cooper
C (2): Travis Frederick | Joe Looney
RG (1): Zack Martin
RT (3): Chaz Green | Byron Bell | Dan Skipper

Defense (26)

LDE (3): DeMarcus Lawrence | David Irving | Charles Tapper
UT (2): Maliek Collins | Tyrone Crawford
NT (3): Cedric Thornton | Stephen Paea | Joey Ivie
LDE (2): Taco Charlton | Benson Mayowa
WLB (2): Sean Lee | Mark Nzeocha
MLB (2): Jaylon Smith | Anthony Hitchens
SLB (2): Damien Wilson | Kyle Wilber
LCB (2): Anthony Brown | Chidobe Awuzie
FS (2): Byron Jones | Robert Blanton
SS (3): Jeff Heath | Xavier Woods | Kavon Frazier
RCB (3): Nolan Carroll | Jourdan Lewis | Marquez White

Specialists (3)

K: Dan Bailey
P: Chris Jones
LS: L.P. LaDouceur

Just missed the cut: James Hanna, Jordan Carrell, Emmett Cleary, Damontre Moore, Lucky Whitehead

Thoughts?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 49009
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thought is - it seems like too many rookies make the team. I would be surprised if that many were on our opening day roster.


Noah Brown - could see as practice squad.
Alfred Morris - nobody will trade for him, he will be here or cut
Joe Ivie - Wont make the team. Not with the fact that Irving/Crawford blay both DT and DE.
Hitchens - I think will be our starting SLB
Scandrick - Will make the team and will likely be our starting LCB
Cheeto - Dark horse pick for our starting SS.


There will also be at least a couple vets out there that we will pick up around camp. I still think we have a shot at Revis. IIRC after June 1, signing him would not effect our comp picks.
_________________


Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DalCowboyzRule


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 23395
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I will say I would like to upgrade the 3rd RB position. Alfred Morris isn't that guy, and I have us trading him for a conditional 7th. For now Jahad Thomas is my #3, and hopefully he impresses in preseason.

- Seeing Jeff Heath try to hold off Xavier Woods is going to be fun. I'm of the opinion that Heath is solid and probably deserves his chance to start, but I love what I've seen out of Woods and what he can do.

- I know Nolan Carroll is more of a slot CB and my depth chart shows him starting, but I believe that's how our official depth chart will look and when we go nickel you will see Brown and Awuzie on the outside with Carroll covering the slot (at least to start the year)

- Speaking of another interesting battle, I want to see how long Carroll holds Lewis out of that starting nickel CB spot. Lewis might be our best cover corner.

- I do have Taco starting at RDE. I have big hopes for him so hopefully he takes the job in training camp and runs away with it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 28322
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ourlands did a projection as well:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

- I think if Lewis beats out Scan, Scan will be traded. Otherwise he will be cut next year.

- I am curious what happens with Showers. Does he stay at S? Does he move back to QB? And I like Cooper Rush. Maybe he can make waves.

- I wonder if Jonathan Cooper will make Jumbo Joe Looney expendable.

- We have a ton of rotational depth at DT. Nice.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 49009
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandrick is owed $7m over 2018 and 2019 - I dont get the need to push him out the door for $3.5m/yr..
_________________


Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 8293
Location: Not a fan of Linehan.
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Scandrick is owed $7m over 2018 and 2019 - I dont get the need to push him out the door for $3.5m/yr..


Well without the DV case Lewis is probably a 2nd round guy. The team had Awuzie as a 2nd round guy as well. I'm sure the team wants to see them get reps. Those two coupled with the promising start to Anthony Browns career. Then later round guys like White. Say Awuzie and Lewis beat Scan outright. Brown already took Scans snaps last season, with Scan publicly calling out Jason Garrett about it. He's not so much a cap casualty as he is a rep casualty. If White comes slong like some in the building think, at what point does it makes sense for your 4th/5th CB to be your highest paid?


Last edited by DaBoys on Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 5023
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relevant

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/01/did-cowboys-2017-draft-just-turn-nolan-carroll-into-one-year-rental/2/

I think there is a scenario where Dallas keeps all 3 of their drafted corners, plus Scandrick, Carroll, and obviously Brown, but it's not a terribly likely one. Going 6 deep at CB is probably unnecessary given the flexibility of Jones, Heath, and Woods. Of course, a pissed off Scandrick is the best version of him, so I'm not dying to get rid of him just yet, and Dallas can't save any money on Carroll given his guaranteed '17 salary. It'll depend on how White looks, whether or not they think he's worth developing/want to risk exposing him to waivers, and where they feel comfortable going short in other areas (QB, RB, TE perhaps)
_________________


Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 8293
Location: Not a fan of Linehan.
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A pissed off Scadrick is the best Scandrick."

^I absolutely agree. Let's remember how Scandrick made this team as a 5th rounder, by winning multiple open competitions year in and year out with higher drafted guys.

Now it's been about 4 years, but open competition is something Orlando Scandrick has cut his teeth on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 28322
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not looking to get rid of Scan - but I think the writing is on the wall. If not before this season - absolutely after. He will be on his last year of his contract.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 49009
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Scandrick is owed $7m over 2018 and 2019 - I dont get the need to push him out the door for $3.5m/yr..


Well without the DV case Lewis is probably a 2nd round guy. The team had Awuzie as a 2nd round guy as well. I'm sure the team wants to see them get reps. Those two coupled with the promising start to Anthony Browns career. Then later round guys like White. Say Awuzie and Lewis beat Scan outright. Brown already took Scans snaps last season, with Scan publicly calling out Jason Garrett about it. He's not so much a cap casualty as he is a rep casualty. If White comes slong like some in the building think, at what point does it makes sense for your 4th/5th CB to be your highest paid?


Thats a lot of 'What ifs'...

All I know is $3.5m/yr for a starting caliber CB is cheap. And depth is important.
_________________


Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
resilient


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 4683
Location: where old school ballers go to die
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Projecting our Week 1 53 man roster Reply with quote

DalCowboyzRule wrote:
So here we are after the draft, the season is still 4 months away. Some moves will still be made, players will be added, players will be traded and players will be cut.

But saying that, the majority of the Cowboys Week 1 roster is already here barring any major surprises.

Here is my 53 man roster for when we take on the Giants...

Trades

- We trade Orlando Scandrick and a 6th to ??? for a 4th round pick
- We trade Alfred Morris to ??? for a conditional 7th

rookie/1st year player
new addition (non rookie)
Returning starter

Offense (24)

QB (2): Dak Prescott | Kellen Moore
RB (3): Ezekiel Elliott | Darren McFadden | Jahad Thomas
FB (1): Keith Smith
WRX (2): Dez Bryant | Noah Brown
WRZ (2): Terrance Williams | Brice Butler
SLOT WR (2): Cole Beasley | Ryan Switzer
TE (3): Jason Witten | Geoff Swaim | Rico Gathers
LT (1): Tyron Smith
LG (2): La'el Collins | Jonathan Cooper
C (2): Travis Frederick | Joe Looney
RG (1): Zack Martin
RT (3): Chaz Green | Byron Bell | Dan Skipper

Defense (26)

LDE (3): DeMarcus Lawrence | David Irving | Charles Tapper
UT (2): Maliek Collins | Tyrone Crawford
NT (3): Cedric Thornton | Stephen Paea | Joey Ivie
LDE (2): Taco Charlton | Benson Mayowa
WLB (2): Sean Lee | Mark Nzeocha
MLB (2): Jaylon Smith | Anthony Hitchens
SLB (2): Damien Wilson | Kyle Wilber
LCB (2): Anthony Brown | Chidobe Awuzie
FS (2): Byron Jones | Robert Blanton
SS (3): Jeff Heath | Xavier Woods | Kavon Frazier
RCB (3): Nolan Carroll | Jourdan Lewis | Marquez White

Specialists (3)

K: Dan Bailey
P: Chris Jones
LS: L.P. LaDouceur

Just missed the cut: James Hanna, Jordan Carrell, Emmett Cleary, Damontre Moore, Lucky Whitehead

Thoughts?


First off good job, BUT I would really like to see D Irving start over D Lawrence.
_________________
it's not the SKILL of a man, but the WILL of a man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Action Jackson


Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 3094
Location: Ft.Worth, Texas
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much inline with the OP post with one major exception. I still believe Scandrick will be on the team and a heavy contributor. I think White will be a PS guy. I love the rooks but I'm not comfortable with 3/5th of the CB's being rooks. Scandrick is our only real vet in the secondary and we really need him imo.

Far as RB goes I'm not sure who will be #3 but I agree probably not Alf. I'm still mad we don't have Darius Jackson.
_________________

EL ramster on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DalCowboyzRule


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 23395
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
I'm still mad we don't have Darius Jackson.


Yeah I'm probably never going to get over this. He was a perfect #3 RB for us (future #2) who was cheap, physical and would have been very nice here.

Instead we get turd Alfred Morris who was made inactive shortly after we cut Jackson Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 37656
Location: Somewhere in the middle
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Projecting our Week 1 53 man roster Reply with quote

resilient wrote:
First off good job, BUT I would really like to see D Irving start over D Lawrence.


With the way we rotate our DL, where they're listed on a depth chart doesn't mean they'll see more snaps.
_________________

^^^El Rammy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 8293
Location: Not a fan of Linehan.
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Scandrick is owed $7m over 2018 and 2019 - I dont get the need to push him out the door for $3.5m/yr..


Well without the DV case Lewis is probably a 2nd round guy. The team had Awuzie as a 2nd round guy as well. I'm sure the team wants to see them get reps. Those two coupled with the promising start to Anthony Browns career. Then later round guys like White. Say Awuzie and Lewis beat Scan outright. Brown already took Scans snaps last season, with Scan publicly calling out Jason Garrett about it. He's not so much a cap casualty as he is a rep casualty. If White comes slong like some in the building think, at what point does it makes sense for your 4th/5th CB to be your highest paid?


Thats a lot of 'What ifs'...

All I know is $3.5m/yr for a starting caliber CB is cheap. And depth is important.


I don't disagree with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group