Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Depth Chart Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: The Depth Chart Discussion Reply with quote

QB: Glennon, Trubisky, Sanchez
RB: Howard, Langford, Cohen, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, White, Wheaton, Wright, Bellamy
TE: Sims, Miller, Shaheen, Brown
LT: Leno
LG: Sitton, Howard
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long, Kush
RT: Massie, Compton

RE: Bullard, Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Young
ILB: Trevathan [PUP], Kwiatowski
ILB: Freeman, Timu, Anderson
OLB: McPhee, Houston, Jones
CB: Amukamara, Cooper, Fuller, Callahan, Leblanc
FS: Jackson/Hall
SS: Demps, Bush, Amos

Thoughts

-I think the TE group is really interesting and they probably need to keep all 4 even if it is at the expense of a 6th WR. Miller provides a player for this year and the other 3 could be a really exciting group in the future.

-The WR group is thin and will need to be represented on the PR and they may need to use Miller in some WR roles if there are serious injuries.

-You cannot run out of OLmen with young QBs so I think they keep 9 OLmen, maybe stash someone on IR, but this way they have young guys like Grasu and Howard developing while Kush and Compton are active on game days.

-The DL is still think and I expected them to add something in that spot. I am not sure if they are higher on RRH or C.J Wilson, or if they plan on playing with 2 down lineman a lot, but this group is shallow.

-The secondary did not have any impact players added, but they are significantly better than the street free agents that played last season. The Bears started Jacoby Glenn and De'vante Bausby amongst other bums last season. This group may not be special but it should be better.

-The top 3 CBs are better than last season.

-The battle between Hall and Jackson at FS will be fun to watch as I think both players offer more upside than Bush and Amos.
KG1187

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard seeing this team as significantly improved.

QB- more efficient.

RB- same.

TE- better.

WR- worse.

Front 7- same.

Secondary- slightly better.

Not keeping Alshon, failing to ink a first tier free agent, plus a top pick who wont contribute this season really hurt this years team from making a big jump in 2018.

Still love Trub and I am thrilled they finally have a QB.
TB 1

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Depth Chart Discussion Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Thoughts

-I think the TE group is really interesting and they probably need to keep all 4 even if it is at the expense of a 6th WR. Miller provides a player for this year and the other 3 could be a really exciting group in the future.

-The WR group is thin and will need to be represented on the PR and they may need to use Miller in some WR roles if there are serious injuries.

-You cannot run out of OLmen with young QBs so I think they keep 9 OLmen, maybe stash someone on IR, but this way they have young guys like Grasu and Howard developing while Kush and Compton are active on game days.

-The DL is still think and I expected them to add something in that spot. I am not sure if they are higher on RRH or C.J Wilson, or if they plan on playing with 2 down lineman a lot, but this group is shallow.

-The secondary did not have any impact players added, but they are significantly better than the street free agents that played last season. The Bears started Jacoby Glenn and De'vante Bausby amongst other bums last season. This group may not be special but it should be better.

-The battle between Hall and Jackson at FS will be fun to watch as I think both players offer more upside than Bush and Amos.

Disappointed that the Bears left themselves thin again on the DL. In the NFL you can't leave yourself with only 2 NFL level DL. If either Hicks or Goldman get hurt the Bears are in trouble.

The secondary is better but still lacks impact players. It is only better because they are not using below replacement level players.

I also thought they should have added another edge rusher. The bottom line is I know the Bears are bad if Unrein, Timu, C.J. Wilson and others get meaningful snaps. When healthy that is a decent front 7 but when they use the entire roster because of injuries the drop off is enormous and they become a poor defense. See the final 6 weeks of last season for example.

On offense they should be able to run the ball with Howard and a strong interior line. The tight ends have potential and they are thin at WR. The most important thing is the development of Trubisky.
bears2308

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:

QB- more efficient.

RB- same.

TE- better.

WR- worse.

Front 7- same.

Not keeping Alshon, failing to ink a first tier free agent, plus a top pick who wont contribute this season really hurt this years team from making a big jump in 2018.

Even the average fan wasn't expecting an off-season to go from 3-13 to even 10-6. We are re-building and did the best thing possible; Found our QB. Next year we can dig in the trenches, see what White, Wheaton and Meredith bring to the table, and most importantly find which guys work in the secondary. I'm a lot happier with our off-season than most.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was going to make a post about Robertson-Harris being an OLB, but apparently you knew more about him than I do. He's up to 285 and transitioning to a 5-tech spot, which would be great with his length.

http://chi.247sports.com/Bolt/Bears-could-have-secret-weapon-in-Roy-Robertson-Harris-51916046

As far as the depth chart goes, Langford kinda sucks so I wouldn't be surprised to see Cohen or Cunningham to push ahead of him. Also I don't think Wheaton is ahead of Kendall Wright on the depth chart. Here's my guess:

RB: Howard, Cunningham, Langford, Cohen
WR: White, Meredith, Wright, Wheaton, Bellamy
TE: Miller, Sims, Shaheen

RE: Bullard, Unrein
NT: Goldman, Sutton
LE: Hicks, Robertson-Harris
ILB: Kwiatkosi, Trevathan (until healthy)
ILB: Freeman, Timu
OLB: McPhee, Houston, Acho
CB1: Amukamara, Fuller
FS: Jackson/Hall/Fuller
SS: Demps, Amos, Bush
CB2: Cooper/Fuller
NB: Callahan, LeBlanc
KG1187

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

QB- more efficient.

RB- same.

TE- better.

WR- worse.

Front 7- same.

Even the average fan wasn't expecting an off-season to go from 3-13 to even 10-6. We are re-building and did the best thing possible; Found our QB. Next year we can dig in the trenches, see what White, Wheaton and Meredith bring to the table, and most importantly find which guys work in the secondary. I'm a lot happier with our off-season than most.

Love that they finally got a QB but Pace's free agency was still pretty bad. All that money and its debatable if they even improved this year.

Pace got aggressive in the draft this year and he must do the same in next years free agency. Tired of the second tier additions while letting go of the better players from the previous team.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Depth Chart Discussion Reply with quote

TB 1 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Thoughts

Disappointed that the Bears left themselves thin again on the DL. In the NFL you can't leave yourself with only 2 NFL level DL. If either Hicks or Goldman get hurt the Bears are in trouble.

The secondary is better but still lacks impact players. It is only better because they are not using below replacement level players.

I also thought they should have added another edge rusher. The bottom line is I know the Bears are bad if Unrein, Timu, C.J. Wilson and others get meaningful snaps. When healthy that is a decent front 7 but when they use the entire roster because of injuries the drop off is enormous and they become a poor defense. See the final 6 weeks of last season for example.

On offense they should be able to run the ball with Howard and a strong interior line. The tight ends have potential and they are thin at WR. The most important thing is the development of Trubisky.

Jaye Howard is in town today so perhaps he helps the DL
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys the secondary might not be great but it is so significantly improved I cannot begin to compare them.

Last season the Bears were starting guys like Bausby and Glenn.

They will have 4 new starters this year all better than the guys who played their last season.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Areas that improved

DB
QB
OL, depth
TE

Stayed the same

DL, still shallow
LB
RB

Got Worse

WR, deeper but no true #1
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Trubisky as a 3.

I think Wright in the slot could be fun.

Feel bad for my guy Daniel Braverman... might not make the 53.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Blaize4488

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Areas that improved

DB
QB
OL, depth
TE

Stayed the same

DL, still shallow
LB
RB

Got Worse

WR, deeper but no true #1

I personally think ILB depth is pretty weak. Trevathan is a complete unknown and Kwiatkowski was up and down. Freeman also ain't getting any younger. Depending on Trevathan, it could be a major need next offseason. I am intrigued by the competition at WR and DB. Really hope Jackson pans out. Two competent safeties would go a long way with making our secondary respectable.
bears2308

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't let Jaye Howard leave without a contract...
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
We can't let Jaye Howard leave without a contract...

Has to pass our medical first...

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
RunningVaccs

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the wake of reports of Glennon feeling betrayed by Trubisky pick, the Sanchez signing sure makes a lot more sense
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunningVaccs wrote:
In the wake of reports of Glennon feeling betrayed by Trubisky pick, the Sanchez signing sure makes a lot more sense

You're going to need to walk me through that one. Are you talking about a mentor for Trubisky in the QB room?

Glennon has just as much incentive now to work to have a great season as he did before the draft (if not more). Nothing has changed for Glennon - this is a one year audition for a long-term starting gig. Obviously he's going to feel pretty angry in the short-term but I think he'll get over that once the workouts start.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: