Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - Post Draft Thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: 2017 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - Post Draft Thoughts Reply with quote

This year I finished my roster analysis with a round-up, a summary of things I thought might happen. Well, while considered a possibility, the trade-up for Mahomes shook up the process some, but I think I was not that far off. This is what I said back then:

Quote:
Here's a short summary of projected picks (in brackets the number of available picks):

High picks (2): ILB, RB
Mid picks (5): OL, NT, OLB
Late picks (3): QB, WR, TE, CB, S

In free agency I don't see much activity due to the limited amount of cap available. Backup OL, veteran backup QB, backup DE is where I may see some activity.

However, there is one big unknown: the QB position. Lots of speculation on a Romo signing although the Chiefs repeatedly claimed Smith to be their 2017 starting QB (anyone noticed? They didn't mention 2018 and beyond or anything like long term ...). I think it's more likely they'll pick a QB to groom as a starter in the draft - and that probably would be round 1 or 2.

Overall I think the Chiefs are in a good position. Plenty of depth at most positions, starters or at least servicable startingoptions across the board. As critical positions to improve at starting level I only identified ILB and RB. And there you usually can find pretty good guys even in the 3rd or 4th round.

One titbit at the very end: I projected Derrick Johnson not to return. If he can come back as an impact player that would help a lot.

Arrow QB taken high ...
Arrow DJ returns, reducing the need at ILB, nevertheless adressed in the fifth round.
Arrow RB in the third.
Arrow NT was adressed in FA after I wrote that part (Logan).
Arrow WR and S late.

What kinda puzzles me a bit:

Arrow No CB in "a draft as deep as I've seen" (Dorsey before draft day). Dorsey mentioned he liked some that came off the board just before the Chiefs picked.
Arrow No OL. Ok, they have depth with Ehinger returning, but developping someone behind Fulton and Reid would have been nice. Ok, there's always a gem to be found in UDFA.
Arrow No TE with a suspension for Harris looming. To the opposite, they shipped off O'Shaughnessy (still don't get that one, considering the compensation).

Arrow Any OLB pick would have been sheer depth. And I didn't see a DL on the shopping list. I consider this a cap move for next year. Nacho will be a FA, Bailey may be on the block.

Overall a draft with limited impact in 2017 (except for Hunt and may be Chesson). This one was clearly directed to the future.

Just wondering what Dorsey has up his sleeve in post-draft-FA. Need to check the cap situation next.

Casa Estrellita - my retirement home
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clearly charted course is to fill chinks through free agency. This was a secondary laden draft, so depth at S and CB is not too much to hope. The starters are probably already on the roster.

QB - Mohomes has a lot to learn, starting with how to take a snap from C. I do not expect him to be a shadow on Smith this year. For better or worse, we go as far as Alex Smith can take us. 2018 is QB audition from the get-go.

WR - Hill will make more impact in a full season. Maclin needs the relief, because his tank is getting low. Conley, Wilson and DAT are still around and Demarcus Robinson could develop and Chesson could surprise in a limited role. There is a lot of shaking out to do.

RB - Don't sell Spencer Ware short, but KHunt is the same only better, as in more elusive. With CJ Spiller and Tyreek Hill for change of pace, this team can grind.

OL - Much the same. Last year's starters are this year's starters. Depth could be better, but consistency will be helpful.

TE - Kelce is a Beast. O'Shaynasty is gone to NE, so depth through FA is possible, but we play these.

DL - Its a good thing Kelce goes by his name, because we have someone else to call TK now. Four rotation guys were set. TK gives depth though he may not play much at first.

LB - This is where the work needs to happen. Houston is the Boss if he's healthy. Hali is spot use if he can play at all. Dee Ford has flashed good things, but no consistency. We need edge rush from at least two guys. Inside is cattle call. Anyone that looks like a ILB gets a tryout. I suspect they know who they want and he's already on the roster. DJ plays as much as he can, but they will try to save him for post season.

CB - Peters and ??? It looks like the cast of suspects that folded against Pittsburgh, Gaines/Nelson/Mitchell/White. That said, they will not be looking over their shoulder. Growing into a job is one of the attractions.

S - Berry and Parker are the only safeties listed on the NFL roster page. The flagship uses DB for S and CB. I suspect that this will be where more than one FA lands. The loaded draft class will bump some useable veterans.

J

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 draft picks pre-draft. So much we could have done.....and didn't. This was an underwhelming draft with needs unattended to.
Mahomes is a project who may or may not work out.......at a cost of 2 First round picks and 1 Third round pick.
Tanoh Kasspagnon (whatever) is a fine pick, but probably won't help much soon.
Kareem Hunt should help immediatlely.
Then "nothing". Yep, nuttin honey. At least after reviewing what we could of had and that's sad. That's all for now. It's too nice a day to spoil it further.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayanfootball wrote:
10 draft picks pre-draft. So much we could have done.....and didn't. This was an underwhelming draft with needs unattended to.
Mahomes is a project who may or may not work out.......at a cost of 2 First round picks and 1 Third round pick.
Tanoh Kasspagnon (whatever) is a fine pick, but probably won't help much soon.
Kareem Hunt should help immediatlely.
Then "nothing". Yep, nuttin honey. At least after reviewing what we could of had and that's sad. That's all for now. It's too nice a day to spoil it further.

Chesson is not nothing. 6'3" and top 10 WR in 40, cone, shuttle and broad jump. The guy is an elite prospect knocked into day 3 by poor QB play and a lingering injury. He appears to finally be over the injury.

Don't count Eligwe out either.

J

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the trades from the draft. It seems fairly clear that the Chiefs targeted at least three players--Mahomes obviously but also Hunt and Chesson. In any event, they traded up for all those picks. Hunt makes sense as RB depth was shaky and he is a do-it-all RB.

The interesting one is Chesson. Still on the board was Chad Hansen, who is a much more polished receiver. In size they are similar. Chesson is is a full 0.20 faster in the 40. We traded up to get him so I think his injury is genuinely behind him.

J

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure where to post this but did anyone else see Mahomes and the people he was in the car with were robbed at gunpoint in TX yesterday? Scary situation and glad nobody got hurt out of it.

Mama was a Terp and Pop was a Buckeye so I guess that makes me a Nutty Turtle.

Chiefs/Buckeyes/Terps/Orioles/Wizards/Capitals
yea its weird get over it
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
WR - Hill will make more impact in a full season. Maclin needs the relief, because his tank is getting low. Conley, Wilson and DAT are still around and Demarcus Robinson could develop and Chesson could surprise in a limited role. There is a lot of shaking out to do.

J

With the release of Maclin, this is suddenly more in the news. The point has been made that the Chiefs don't use a WR1. Maclin was brought in because the team desperately needed a veteran who knew Reid's system. In that role, he performed well. Now that role can pass to a much cheaper Chris Conley and the money is available to sign the top 3 draft picks.

J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:

J

With the release of Maclin, this is suddenly more in the news. The point has been made that the Chiefs don't use a WR1. Maclin was brought in because the team desperately needed a veteran who knew Reid's system. In that role, he performed well. Now that role can pass to a much cheaper Chris Conley and the money is available to sign the top 3 draft picks.

J

I really hope Robinson gets an extended look. The guy has some serious explosion.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs_5627 wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:

J

J

I really hope Robinson gets an extended look. The guy has some serious explosion.

We could see flashes. He's a second year guy. That is supposed to be where the big improvement lives. 3rd year is for leadership and consistency.

For what it's worth, Reid has talked about Robinson having had a good off season. For most players that is about game. in Robinson's case, it's about not having off-field issues as well. I am taking it to mean all of that.

J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Maclin gone and Reid indicating Hill would get a shot at the Z receiver, Pride did an article on Tyreek's potential as the focus of the passing game. FIPs with nobodies like Richard Sherman and Chris Harris.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/6/7/15746694/tyreek-hills-future-the-evidence-points-to-more-than-a-gadget-player

J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: