You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

jersey numbers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
Wouldn't mind Foster sporting #52. I'd like to see both 53 and 52 lined up out on the field together making plays.

Hell no, 52 is getting retired

Agreed. I like Foster and all but no one should touch 52 or 21. Its a formality those numbers will be retired very soon. We haven't officially retired Bryant Young's 97 but no one's worn it since he retired. That's another one that should be off limit.

52 and 21 forsure then maybe there can be a discussion for 94 and 97.

94 has already been re-issued to Dekoda Watson.

They tried giving 21 to Hightower when they signed him too. I've said this before, but I like the idea of giving highly drafted guys these 'prestigious numbers'. I don't like Watson wearing 94 or the niners trying to give 21 to Gore, but I wouldn't be opposed to Thomas wearing 94. At the end of the day, it's just a number and I'm not going to forget about Frank Gore because someone else is wearing his number.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
Wouldn't mind Foster sporting #52. I'd like to see both 53 and 52 lined up out on the field together making plays.

Agreed. I like Foster and all but no one should touch 52 or 21. Its a formality those numbers will be retired very soon. We haven't officially retired Bryant Young's 97 but no one's worn it since he retired. That's another one that should be off limit.

They tried giving 21 to Hightower when they signed him too. I've said this before, but I like the idea of giving highly drafted guys these 'prestigious numbers'. I don't like Watson wearing 94 or the niners trying to give 21 to Gore, but I wouldn't be opposed to Thomas wearing 94. At the end of the day, it's just a number and I'm not going to forget about Frank Gore because someone else is wearing his number.

Same here.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Geek

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather they make those jerseys something you earn, instead of outright retiring them. Foster should play with a different number until he earns the right to wear 52. Same with all our other greats at all our other positions (21,94,16,80 etc). It would make the jersey something to strive for and a mark the wearer as a great player and a pivotal piece of the franchise.
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:
I'd rather they make those jerseys something you earn, instead of outright retiring them. Foster should play with a different number until he earns the right to wear 52. Same with all our other greats at all our other positions (21,94,16,80 etc). It would make the jersey something to strive for and a mark the wearer as a great player and a pivotal piece of the franchise.

That would be a pretty cool idea, once a rookie complete his first contract and the Niners are for sure set on resigning him, not only does he get rewarded with a second, this time lucrative, contract but also the right to wear one of our greats numbers.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek wrote:

While the idea of "earning" a number is a nice sentiment, the business side of the NFL would never let it happen. They want these rookies to hurry up and pick a number so they can start selling their jerseys. Then, once they've picked a number and are selling the jerseys, they make it nearly impossible for the player to change their number again by making them jump through hoops and spend their own money on buying back old jerseys.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
Geek wrote:

While the idea of "earning" a number is a nice sentiment, the business side of the NFL would never let it happen. They want these rookies to hurry up and pick a number so they can start selling their jerseys. Then, once they've picked a number and are selling the jerseys, they make it nearly impossible for the player to change their number again by making them jump through hoops and spend their own money on buying back old jerseys.

^Thought of this, too.

Aside from that, my stance on this is still the same - if someone with a retired number allows it, go for it.

But because this franchise has already decided to honor its best and most respected players with retired jersey numbers, that's the route this franchise should continue to take. If Bryant Young thinks Solomon Thomas should wear #97 and Thomas agrees? Go for it. If Patrick Willis is cool with Reuben Foster wearing #52 - cool with me. If the team wants to give Beathard #16 and Montana doesn't want that done - then hell no. I don't care if Beathard is an Andrew Luck-level prospect. Pick a new number.

Besides - there's an incentive for any incoming rookie. Be the last person to wear your number.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw something on team stream saying Beathard will be wearing #3 and Williams will be wearing #33 for now. Obviously these are subject to change as 33 is Robinson's number. I haven't seen any indication of anyone else yet.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
Just saw something on team stream saying Beathard will be wearing #3 and Williams will be wearing #33 for now. Obviously these are subject to change as 33 is Robinson's number. I haven't seen any indication of anyone else yet.

I doubt he gets to wear 28. This year, at least. I think 38 is available. I wouldn't mind that. That's the number I took when I created myself as a runningback in football video games.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

I doubt he gets to wear 28. This year, at least. I think 38 is available. I wouldn't mind that. That's the number I took when I created myself as a runningback in football video games.

He can just take 32 when we cut DuJuan Harris. We need another 32 running the rock.

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unofficial numbers:

Solomon Thomas - 96
Reuben Foster - 56
AMG1713

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:

going by the 49ers website, it seems Robinson changed his number to 26.

they also seem to have taken away #94 from Dekoda Watson. it would be weird to me if they retired #94 for Justin Smith considering he's like the 3rd best player to wear the number for this team.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

they also seem to have taken away #94 from Dekoda Watson. it would be weird to me if they retired #94 for Justin Smith considering he's like the 3rd best player to wear the number for this team.

Oof...I assume you're referring to Haley and Stubblefield, and while you might be able to present a compelling argument for Haley, I'd easily take Smith over Stubblefield. Not to mention that of the 3 - Smith played the most games for the 49ers. He also had more Pro Bowls than both (with the team).

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

That bums me out, I was really hoping he'd stick with 33. It looks like Hightower took Davis' 22. If Robinson had to change numbers I wish he would have gone with that instead. Oh well, just a jersey number I guess.

PapaShogun

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

Yeah I know it's been worn a few times. Justin Smith and Charles Haley were great 49ers, buy they spent half their careers elsewhere.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
PapaShogun

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that C.J. is wearing 3. Montana wore 3 in college and Beathard wore 16 in college. Now he's 3 in the pros. #irrelevant.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: