Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2018 NFL Prospects
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 15661
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: 2018 NFL Prospects Reply with quote

Seems a we already talking about next year's draft and what Dallas may need. So no point in waiting.

Dallas picks for '18.

Comp picks are obviously tentative, but barring FA signings between now and then, Dallas has the max allotment of 4 comps. I think it will look something like this...10 picks.

1, 2, 3, 4, 4 (comp), 5 (comp), 5 (comp), 6, 6 (comp), 7.


Needs for 2018. Tough to say right now, but would think QB, RB, TE, and LB are in the mix.



Free Agents

DalCowboyzRule wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind are our 2018 free agents:

Kellen Moore QB
Darren McFadden RB
Alfred Morris RB
Brice Butler WR
Emmett Cleary OT
Byron Bell OT
Jonathan Cooper G
Joe Looney G
Stephen Paea DE
DeMarcus Lawrence DE
Kyle Wilber OLB
Anthony Hitchens LB
Leon McFadden CB
Chris Jones P
L.P. Ladouceur LS

_________________

Kiltman on the sig & avy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 28316
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My number 1 need is RT if Green can't hold the job. If he can...my number 1 need is finding Lee's replacement.

With that said, I want Malik Jefferson - Texas.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
romo2bryant


Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 2390
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
My number 1 need is RT if Green can't hold the job. If he can...my number 1 need is finding Lee's replacement.

With that said, I want Malik Jefferson - Texas.


Texas has 2 good prospects that would fit our team. Connor Williams, Malik Jefferson.

Just happy we can finally talk about Texas players as legitimate draft picks..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 37655
Location: Somewhere in the middle
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say WLB/RT/TE are likely needs for next year unless Green/Gathers show promise.

I'm with T_O in the Malik Jefferson corner. Mike McGlinchey and Martinas Rankin are two guys at tackle I like.

Also...I have to wonder if we don't look at WR depending on what happens with Dez health-wise. If so, I'd love to grab Courtland Sutton.
_________________

^^^El Rammy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Tony7188


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 6191
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A WR who can step in and produce if Dez gets hurt would be great for the offense. On the defense, Gregory is a lost cause and I have zero faith in Lawrence so my list goes: DE, RT, WR
_________________


NoFlyZone wrote:
Byron Jones is terrible. I'm sorry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 15661
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're in Malik Jackson territory come draft time next year...shoot me. I really don't want to be talking about top 10-15 prospects come January.

Should probably add safety to the list of potential nneds. No guarantees on Heath, Frazier and Woods, despite how well I believe they will do.
_________________

Kiltman on the sig & avy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 28316
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
If we're in Malik Jackson territory come draft time next year...shoot me. I really don't want to be talking about top 10-15 prospects come January.

Should probably add safety to the list of potential nneds. No guarantees on Heath, Frazier and Woods, despite how well I believe they will do.


I don't know. I can see Malik falling to the 20's. He doesn't for 3/4 teams. I don't see him as a MLB in the 4/3. So you are limited to just teams that need OLB help. Further, LB isn't nearly the premium that other defensive positions are.

Obviously there is a lot of football between then and now. But the sheer number of QBs I think will go top 10, plus a few OL, plus a few DE's. I can completely see a situation where Malik falls.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 21616
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Malik Jefferson may not even be a Top 15 prospect next year. The guy has some growing to do and there are also some real up and comers that could push him to the late or even 2nd for all we know. Same with Conner Williams who I think will be a 2nd day pick someplace.

My top 5 needs already going into next year goes as follows.

1. RT- Dak is our franchise QB. Romo stood up to the punishment of a bad line for years. Who's to say Dak could do the same? DO we want that for him? Invest in his survival.
2. S- We didn't do jack to beef up the safety position. If thats what we drafted Chidobe for then he was basically a wasted pick and we should have gotten Josh Jones. CB was far more of a need. Frazier may surprise as well as Woods. But as of now. Its a huge need.
3. TE- I don't care how confident the staff are in Rico gathers. Unless he proves it on the field, their hopes and dreams are meaningless. This should have been addressed in the draft. And even if Rico is the 2nd coming. What would have been wrong running a two TE set like NE which everyone thinks we are trying to model ourselves after? We need another TE.
4. LB- No telling if Jaylon will return to full form, Lee is a year older. And we need to invest in the future here.
5. WR- We need a guy that has No.1 capabilities with being able to play in the No.2 spot. TWill was returned at a nice price, but is not capable of being a No.1 receiver if Dez goes down.
_________________
GeneralDissaray wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
I don't agree with the pick.Bad teams pick rb's with a top 5 pick.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 28316
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 Your top three needs may very well already be covered on the roster.

In terms of WR. I get it. An elite WR is nice. But it is probably the least premier position of need in terms of translating to wins. Don't get me wrong. If you get a stud to line up next to Dez while he is still in his prime - it would be glorious. Right prospect falls to us I am completely down. I just don't really care about going all in there.

No matter what - LBer will be a need next year (given this teams desire to plan a year or two ahead). We might have others - and more pressing ones - but we don't have any real future behind Lee.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 21616
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Calvert28 Your top three needs may very well already be covered on the roster.

In terms of WR. I get it. An elite WR is nice. But it is probably the least premier position of need in terms of translating to wins. Don't get me wrong. If you get a stud to line up next to Dez while he is still in his prime - it would be glorious. Right prospect falls to us I am completely down. I just don't really care about going all in there.

No matter what - LBer will be a need next year (given this teams desire to plan a year or two ahead). We might have others - and more pressing ones - but we don't have any real future behind Lee.


May? Thats a big word in this league. And it certainly doesn't mean "is".
_________________
GeneralDissaray wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
I don't agree with the pick.Bad teams pick rb's with a top 5 pick.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.


Last edited by Calvert28 on Mon May 01, 2017 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
resilient


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 4682
Location: where old school ballers go to die
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chazz Green may end up being Ok, but I don't see any "stud" in him. So RT is a top 3 for me.

A want a STUD WR to immediately replace T Williams and potentially become Dez's replacement.

TE and LB battle it out for top 3.
_________________
it's not the SKILL of a man, but the WILL of a man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 28316
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Calvert28 Your top three needs may very well already be covered on the roster.

In terms of WR. I get it. An elite WR is nice. But it is probably the least premier position of need in terms of translating to wins. Don't get me wrong. If you get a stud to line up next to Dez while he is still in his prime - it would be glorious. Right prospect falls to us I am completely down. I just don't really care about going all in there.

No matter what - LBer will be a need next year (given this teams desire to plan a year or two ahead). We might have others - and more pressing ones - but we don't have any real future behind Lee.


May? Thats a big word in this league. And it certainly doesn't mean "is".


Well, obviously. We are also talking a year in advance. This time last year most would have put QB still at the top of the list.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23288
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our top 3 needs will be RT, OLB, and TE
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Calvert28


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 21616
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Calvert28 Your top three needs may very well already be covered on the roster.

In terms of WR. I get it. An elite WR is nice. But it is probably the least premier position of need in terms of translating to wins. Don't get me wrong. If you get a stud to line up next to Dez while he is still in his prime - it would be glorious. Right prospect falls to us I am completely down. I just don't really care about going all in there.

No matter what - LBer will be a need next year (given this teams desire to plan a year or two ahead). We might have others - and more pressing ones - but we don't have any real future behind Lee.


May? Thats a big word in this league. And it certainly doesn't mean "is".


Well, obviously. We are also talking a year in advance. This time last year most would have put QB still at the top of the list.


Fair enough. But until Green or Skipper turns into Erik Williams.

Frazier or Woods turns into Woodson. Or Rico turns into our new Witten.

Or at the very least proved they will hold down the job with constant good play. They are needs.
_________________
GeneralDissaray wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
I don't agree with the pick.Bad teams pick rb's with a top 5 pick.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 15661
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made a trip through the 2017 prospect thread. The needs progressed from QB to we don't need a QB rather quickly. lol.

Some of the whiffs too. Man. SMH. Kaaya, best QB prospect. Gunner Kiel talk. Woof. Desmond King bandwagon for me. Although I did redeem myself later with this little nugget.. http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=578519&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=156 Wink
_________________

Kiltman on the sig & avy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group