You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars pick up Blake Bortles 5th year option
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Jaguars pick up Blake Bortles 5th year option Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted by Josh Alper on May 1, 2017, 11:30 AM EDT

Getty Images
Members of the Jaguars brass were asked about their option on quarterback Blake Bortles‘ contract for the 2018 season several times this offseason and avoided making any public declarations about their plans.

That changed on Monday and their decision will likely come as a surprise to some people. The team announced that they have picked up the option, which would set him up to make around $18 million next season.

“This is a smart business decision for the team for several reasons,” Jaguars Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin said in a release from the team. “It makes sense for us going forward and it’s good for Blake and for the Jaguars.”

The option is guaranteed against injury only, so the Jaguars could still decline it if they decide after the 2017 season that Bortles’ isn’t the right man to run their offense. That’s not so different from the position they were in with Bortles before picking up the option, although the injury guarantee could complicate things if Bortles should suffer a torn ACL, torn Achilles or other long-term injury.

If things do work out, the Jaguars can work on an extension that locks Bortles up beyond 2018. If not, they’ll be in the market for a quarterback after choosing not to add one during the draft this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/01/jaguars-pick-up-blake-bortles-2018-option/

El Ramster on the sig
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of this move...I mean, it's only if he gets hurt is he guaranteed, but why take the chance? Thought it was a no brainer to play the season with him and if he works out, tag him/work out extension, if not, cut ties.

Has nothing to do with my thoughts on Blake as I do think he has a chance to turn it around, especially with Fournette in the fold and a better coaching staff. Plus we allowed him to go and work on his mechanics unlike Greg Olsen last year, which is the main hindrance in his game.

El Ramster on the sig
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have to hope he doesn't get hurt.

I do expect him to be better this year. We will see if his mechanics translate to the game. LF will take some pressure off of him. He won't need to throw 625 times. He should be at 450 attempts if our run game is right. He has weapons with A-Rob, Hurns, Lee and Westy.

If he is sucking hard six weeks in though, bench him so he doesn't get hurt and see what you have in Allen.

It also gives us flexibility to franchise tag A-Rob, Telvin or Linder.

We could still rescind the option after the season. Doesn't become fully guaranteed until first league day of 2018.

^^el ramster^^
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:

I do expect him to be better this year. We will see if his mechanics translate to the game. LF will take some pressure off of him. He won't need to throw 625 times. He should be at 450 attempts if our run game is right. He has weapons with A-Rob, Hurns, Lee and Westy.

If he is sucking hard six weeks in though, bench him so he doesn't get hurt and see what you have in Allen.

We could still rescind the option after the season. Doesn't become fully guaranteed until first league day of 2018.

This is the MAJOR positive by going this route without a doubt. I was a bit worried going into next year if we don't pick up Bortles option and we don't ink one of those three this offseason and we have to tag Bortles but can't come to terms with one of the others.

I'm a bit worried Telvin is on the outs though. Doesn't seem like we've went and talked to him and now we just draft Blair Brown who I personally think can be an impact LB that likely fits best at one of the MLB/WLB position. I think he can play SAM, but Caldwell only listed the other two spots. Plus some guys on twitter were talking about how Caldwell comes from the Polian tree that doesn't value WLB much. Hope he changes his tune on that here.

With Bortles being picked up I hope we start getting some of these extensions done though. Linder is an absolute must.

El Ramster on the sig
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000805448/article/jaguars-pick-up-blake-bortles-fifthyear-option

Sounds like Marrone is a big supporter of Blake. He did look much improved (not exactly easy to do mid-season when you can only do so much during the week) once he took over and with Hackett calling the plays. Let's just hope this works out.

He has a deep threat now in Dede to go along with the trio of A-Rob, Hurnsy, and Lee. Got a punishing RB in Fournette. Defense was solid last year and should only be improved with Bouye, Church, Calais, etc. to go along with a stable of young players last year. Going to be an interesting year.

El Ramster on the sig
DuvalsKing

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:

This is the MAJOR positive by going this route without a doubt. I was a bit worried going into next year if we don't pick up Bortles option and we don't ink one of those three this offseason and we have to tag Bortles but can't come to terms with one of the others.

I'm a bit worried Telvin is on the outs though. Doesn't seem like we've went and talked to him and now we just draft Blair Brown who I personally think can be an impact LB that likely fits best at one of the MLB/WLB position. I think he can play SAM, but Caldwell only listed the other two spots. Plus some guys on twitter were talking about how Caldwell comes from the Polian tree that doesn't value WLB much. Hope he changes his tune on that here.

With Bortles being picked up I hope we start getting some of these extensions done though. Linder is an absolute must.

They need to get some contracts of out the way before the season starts, if I were them i'd re-sign A-Rob and Telvin early. They especially have leverage with A-Rob now, if he goes into the season and goes off he may be too expensive.
2016:Jalen Ramsey - Jalen Ramsey
2017:Solomon Thomas - Leonard Fournette
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I'm glad they finally did. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, to pick up the option. It just gives us more flexibility. The potential of an extra year of affordable QB if Bortles actually get back on track. Potentially more time to evaluate before having to throw huge money at him, more freedom in what they can do with the franchise tag if they need it for others.

The absolute worst thing that could happen would be, he can't turn it around and then suffers a major season-ending injury that maybe leaves us on the hook for his deal for an extra year? Really not even a big problem. We're still in fine shape cap-wise, and Bortles 5th year option wouldn't completely decimate that, even in a "worst case" scenario.

It's there for the taking. Might as well use it. Very minimal potential drawback to this.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuvalsKing wrote:
.Buzz wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:

They need to get some contracts of out the way before the season starts, if I were them i'd re-sign A-Rob and Telvin early. They especially have leverage with A-Rob now, if he goes into the season and goes off he may be too expensive.

Problem with that, is A-Rob and his agent are not idiots. They know he has the potential to do a lot more than he did last year. They're going to be looking for a deal that pays him accordingly. Don't see them biting on a lowball offer based on last season's numbers when everyone has already seen how much better he can be.

So you're basically negotiating a deal based on the expectation he's going to go off. Rather than the reality of it having happened.

Not really a big deal either way, as long as you really are confident he can get back to and maintain or exceed what he did the year before last. But i doubt it's a huge advantage unless he legitimately becomes one of the very absolute best WRs in the league this year or something and it costs you a fortune because you waited. And at that point...would have to imagine that means Bortles has also gone off and we're all just over the moon with how well our offense is clicking and totally willing to pay the guys. Laughing
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
Good. I'm glad they finally did. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, to pick up the option. It just gives us more flexibility. The potential of an extra year of affordable QB if Bortles actually get back on track. Potentially more time to evaluate before having to throw huge money at him, more freedom in what they can do with the franchise tag if they need it for others.

The absolute worst thing that could happen would be, he can't turn it around and then suffers a major season-ending injury that maybe leaves us on the hook for his deal for an extra year? Really not even a big problem. We're still in fine shape cap-wise, and Bortles 5th year option wouldn't completely decimate that, even in a "worst case" scenario.

It's there for the taking. Might as well use it. Very minimal potential drawback to this.

This is true. In the scheme of things it probably is a decently smart move. Just seems crazy to pick up an option of that magnitude coming off a season he just did. Didn't really expect them to do this. Have to imagine they don't think they get someone on the roster inked and want the tag available if need be.

El Ramster on the sig
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not crazy about it especially since its way more than I expected

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a smart move (simplistic)

1.) You pick up the 5th year, while doing that if Blake plays well this season you have rights to his 5th year. That way you're not going into this off season with Blake saying I played well where's my bag? He'll hit the market off of not picking up the 5th. Lets say Blake takes you to a wild card. If Mike Glennon got 18 million what do you think Blakes market value would be? Not to mention you basically put no faith in him and lets say he Osweiler's you. Then what?

2.)You force Blake to actually string together 2 seasons of consistent play before you have to negotiate.

3.)It gives you the ability clear up some contracts and pushes another potential big contract a year out and not have to deal with Linder, Smith, A Rob, and Bortles potentially all in one off season.

4.) Let's say Blake bombs this year they will do him like the Bills did Tyrod last year they'll sit him protecting them against the injury penalty. Which will still keep you in contention to be a terrible team unless Allen comes in and shocks the world (doubt it). The Jags will still be in good shape to draft Blaine Gabbert 3.0. Blake would stay on as the rookies back up until his 5th year option falls off the books.

You put in good faith showing this guy hey we did all these things to help you improve its all in your hands. Hopefully you have improved and the team is ready know that we are behind you but also know you have to do it now there is no more excuses. If you truly believe in a guy you go all in for him they are trying to show Blake good faith hopefully with them keeping good faith in him maybe he'll give them a discount on the back end in order to keep a strong team together. Who knows its all business at the end of the day but more goes into it then just crunching numbers. They have invested heavily in Blake and they are hoping to get a return on what they have invested.
2016:Jalen Ramsey - Jalen Ramsey
2017:Solomon Thomas - Leonard Fournette
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/862380886318342146

I will not get overly excited about this. I will not get overly excited about this. I will not....

Live like you're down 3-1
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

I will not get overly excited about this. I will not get overly excited about this. I will not....

Laughing

It's hard to get too excited about, knowing it can apparently fall apart completely at any moment...but it's something i guess.

Really hope that if they can actually get the running game going, Blake won't have to heave the ball around 40 times a game. I think just having a less excessive burden on his arm could be a big help in keeping the mechanics in check over the course of the season.
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Laughing

It's hard to get too excited about, knowing it can apparently fall apart completely at any moment...but it's something i guess.

Really hope that if they can actually get the running game going, Blake won't have to heave the ball around 40 times a game. I think just having a less excessive burden on his arm could be a big help in keeping the mechanics in check over the course of the season.

If he winds up with around 450 pass attempts, that'd be ideal.

It's good to see his mechanics are better but we will see if he reverts back to his old ways when the bullets are firing.

His decision making is still horrible. That's a bigger problem than his mechanics.

^^el ramster^^
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Processing definitely is the biggest issue, but the release speed between the two motions is the difference between getting a ball behind a breaking DB and having the DB get their hands on the ball, when you're throwing into tight windows like Blake is apt to do.

Live like you're down 3-1

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: