Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My top 5 best and worst drafts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value IND for at the start (Hooker & Wilson) and at the end (Walker Jr. & Mack) were off the charts IMO. Banner probably can't control his weight so not a fan but it's hard to call them bottom 5. If only the 4 picks work out to give starters by next year that's likely a top 10 result.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
edmund_jags wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
VanS wrote:
I guess I'll be the first person to defend the Bears draft. Although I did not like trading up one spot to get Mitch Trubisky, I don't think the trade is as disastrous as people make it out to be. I think Trubisky can be an Alex Smith caliber starting QB in the NFL. That might be not be great but it isn't too bad either.

What makes me like the Bears draft is the fact that I think they hit on their next 4 picks. Shaheen might have been a bit of a reach but he has nice potential. I absolutely loved their 4th round picks of Tarik Cohen and Eddie Jackson. I think Jackson can be a starting FS in the league and Tarik Cohen has Darren Sproles potential. And finally I loved the pick of Jordan Morgan. He's a real sleeper that could turn out to be a starting caliber NFL offensive lineman.

So although the Trubisky trade might not have made a lot of sense, I think Ryan Pace did a good job recovering with the picks he made later in the draft.

I actually think, in time, Trubisky could be better than an Alex Smith, IF things work out. He COULD be a better Kirk Cousins. Thing is, I just don't like what they did, overall. They could've gotten a lot of solid starters at other positions with the #3 pick, and the ones they gave up. They already had Glennon. They traded a lot of immediate starters for an immediate bench player.

And if Trubisky panned out elsewhere all you'd hear is "lol they passed on grabbing a franchise QB for a few starters elsewhere and now they have nobody"

And if Trubisky doesn't pan out and literally any of the other first/second round QB's do, all you'll hear is "lol they passed on grabbing a franchise QB and traded up for this stiff instead".

But that's for later. For right now they traded up for a QB with 13 starts who people aren't sold on as a franchise quarterback.

What people, a number of teams liked Trubisky's potential to become a franchise QB. Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't, but at least Chicago gave it a shot and if he pans out, they are set for a decade. I would much rather go that route than depend on the Gannons of this world and finish last or close to it for another decade.
Crickett

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
What people, a number of teams liked Trubisky's potential to become a franchise QB. Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't, but at least Chicago gave it a shot and if he pans out, they are set for a decade. I would much rather go that route than depend on the Gannons of this world and finish last or close to it for another decade.

I was referring to the general draft following public. You could include a good portion of the NFL media in that considering the kind of post-draft grades the Bears are getting.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm concerned about malik hooker. i think those of us on the outside aren't really considering medicals. one year as a college starter and he needed labrum and hernia surgeries. limited high school experience as well.
tremendous athlete, no doubt. but will he hold up? is that the reason for the perceived 'slide' on draft day?
JMO but i don't see him lasting long term in the league. feel free to cue the laughter.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears have never been able to solve the QB position and they a be sucked because of it.

I am not sure why they are getting killed for aggressively going to get "their guy".

The rest of the draft gets destroyed because it is not out of a draft magazine, which is fine.

The Bears took some serious risks in this draft, but why not? I am not sure that "risks" should be reserved for only good teams. Jamal Adams followed by Quincy Wilson would have just pushed the Bears towards their standard 8-8 for the next decade.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears didn't trade immediate starters. They traded 3 mid round picks and turned around and got 2 of them back moving down in the 2nd round.

The 3rd round is a 30% crap shoot to find a non backup player.

The picks are so valuable the NFL gives away free ones every season.

Would I have preferred not to move up? Of course, but it was not a crippling cost. The Texans gave up a 1st round pick to draft the 3rd best QB in the draft.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
The Bears didn't trade immediate starters. They traded 3 mid round picks and turned around and got 2 of them back moving down in the 2nd round.

Would I have preferred not to move up? Of course, but it was not a crippling cost. The Texans gave up a 1st round pick to draft the 3rd best QB in the draft.

Meh. Cute arguments, BUT.... -just admit that the Bears messed up. Nobody'll hate you for it.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Blasphemy. Mike Brown and Ozzie Newsome treats those compensatory picks like gold!
MWil23

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Blasphemy. Mike Brown and Ozzie Newsome treats those compensatory picks like gold!

This is a humble, yet off topic, plea to please UNSTICKY the Day 3 draft discussion thread. It's messing with my FF OCD. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Meh. Cute arguments, BUT.... -just admit that the Bears messed up. Nobody'll hate you for it.
But they didn't mess up, the just fooled the entire draft world and used the media to help pull off the most successful smokescreen in my lifetime. 15 teams had offers to the Bears for #3, it only makes sense that some of them had offers to #2 as well. We'll never know if Ryan Pace needed to trade up or not, but for context this team saw the best player on their board drafted 1 spot in front of them 2 years in a row with Aaron Donald and Leonard Williams. Ryan Pace has made sure since that point it doesn't happen again. And for crying out loud we're talking 2 #3s and a #4 we aren't talking about immediate starters here. People calling those premium picks are just plain dumb.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

But they didn't mess up, the just fooled the entire draft world and used the media to help pull off the most successful smokescreen in my lifetime. 15 teams had offers to the Bears for #3, it only makes sense that some of them had offers to #2 as well. We'll never know if Ryan Pace needed to trade up or not, but for context this team saw the best player on their board drafted 1 spot in front of them 2 years in a row with Aaron Donald and Leonard Williams. Ryan Pace has made sure since that point it doesn't happen again. And for crying out loud we're talking 2 #3s and a #4 we aren't talking about immediate starters here. People calling those premium picks are just plain dumb.

Not as dumb as the Bears, with a move like this. Wink
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
This is a humble, yet off topic, plea to please UNSTICKY the Day 3 draft discussion thread. It's messing with my FF OCD. Laughing

Took me a minute to remember how to unsticky, but it's done now...
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:

At the end of the day, it goes back to the problem that most people had with the whole situation in who they selected, not what they actually gave up. I mean, what pick did the Bears give up that wasn't relatively easily to recover? At the end of the day, I believe they didn't lose any net picks. The problem is that you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thought Mitchell Trubisky was a top-5 prospect. If you would have given up that package to land an Aaron Donald or Leonard Williams-level of prospect, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Too early to assume so much. Wait a 2 or 3 years and see. It is entirely possible the 9ers look like idiots if Trubs becomes what they expect him to be. Anything is possible.
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narratives change. If Trub works out, bears look brilliant. If he doesn't, they look like the biggest idiots in the NFL.

You don't get a pass because "you had to draft a QB."

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: