Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My top 5 best and worst drafts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
4. Kansas City Chiefs - If the Chiefs are still a VALUE ORIENTED TEAM, they certainly didn't look like it this year. They bet the farm on Patrick Mahomes, and like Trubisky, I was not a fan of him. I'm sure I'll be wrong about at least one of the quarterbacks taken in the first and I don't know which one it'll be, but at the moment I expect they'll all be busts.

This was a value oriented draft. They chose future value over current impact but all six players physically profile fare above their draft slot.

Let's not make too much of the Mahomes trade. For one thing, they got a discount. Essentially, they paid a #12 for Mahomes. That's still rich for many observers, but it isn't the whole draft. In terms of what makes a QB a QB, Mahomes is they best physical package in the draft. No technique. They start from scratch on footwork, pocket use, arm angle, decision making, etc. But the toolbox is loaded.

Kpassgnon is another physical outlier. Of the whole Combine, this is the freak. 4% body fat. The frame can easily take another 20 pounds. He probably needs 10 pounds of fatty tissue for his health. Though raw and untutored, this guy has roadblock written all over him. Pass rush would be a bonus.

Kareem Hunt is a more garden variety value pick. Often called the best of the 2nd tier, Hunt is a complete power back. Run, block, pass receiver. He looks like a better Spencer Ware and Ware is pretty good.

Chesson would make more sense if he had come out after the 2015 season, when he was Michigan's MVP. Physically, he's a modern size&speed WR. He suffered a bowl game injury and spent all of 2016 shaking it off. The Combine number of note is a 6.70 cone drill time. Not bad for 6'3", 205 pounds.

Eligwe and McQuay III are typical late round dice rolls. Eligwe was a freshman contributor on a National Champion defense, then hit some bumps. QIII is a tweener.

The value is there. It is just more raw than teams like to draft.

J

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
Colts had the worst draft. Absolute disaster.

You lose credibility with every post you make.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

You lose credibility with every post you make.

That's a burn. Very Happy
VanS

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll be the first person to defend the Bears draft. Although I did not like trading up one spot to get Mitch Trubisky, I don't think the trade is as disastrous as people make it out to be. I think Trubisky can be an Alex Smith caliber starting QB in the NFL. That might be not be great but it isn't too bad either.

What makes me like the Bears draft is the fact that I think they hit on their next 4 picks. Shaheen might have been a bit of a reach but he has nice potential. I absolutely loved their 4th round picks of Tarik Cohen and Eddie Jackson. I think Jackson can be a starting FS in the league and Tarik Cohen has Darren Sproles potential. And finally I loved the pick of Jordan Morgan. He's a real sleeper that could turn out to be a starting caliber NFL offensive lineman.

So although the Trubisky trade might not have made a lot of sense, I think Ryan Pace did a good job recovering with the picks he made later in the draft.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanS wrote:
I guess I'll be the first person to defend the Bears draft. Although I did not like trading up one spot to get Mitch Trubisky, I don't think the trade is as disastrous as people make it out to be. I think Trubisky can be an Alex Smith caliber starting QB in the NFL. That might be not be great but it isn't too bad either.

What makes me like the Bears draft is the fact that I think they hit on their next 4 picks. Shaheen might have been a bit of a reach but he has nice potential. I absolutely loved their 4th round picks of Tarik Cohen and Eddie Jackson. I think Jackson can be a starting FS in the league and Tarik Cohen has Darren Sproles potential. And finally I loved the pick of Jordan Morgan. He's a real sleeper that could turn out to be a starting caliber NFL offensive lineman.

So although the Trubisky trade might not have made a lot of sense, I think Ryan Pace did a good job recovering with the picks he made later in the draft.

I actually think, in time, Trubisky could be better than an Alex Smith, IF things work out. He COULD be a better Kirk Cousins. Thing is, I just don't like what they did, overall. They could've gotten a lot of solid starters at other positions with the #3 pick, and the ones they gave up. They already had Glennon. They traded two or three immediate starters for an immediate bench player.
edmund_jags

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
VanS wrote:

I actually think, in time, Trubisky could be better than an Alex Smith, IF things work out. He COULD be a better Kirk Cousins. Thing is, I just don't like what they did, overall. They could've gotten a lot of solid starters at other positions with the #3 pick, and the ones they gave up. They already had Glennon. They traded a lot of immediate starters for an immediate bench player.

And if Trubisky panned out elsewhere all you'd hear is "lol they passed on grabbing a franchise QB for a few starters elsewhere and now they have nobody"
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmund_jags wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
VanS wrote:

I actually think, in time, Trubisky could be better than an Alex Smith, IF things work out. He COULD be a better Kirk Cousins. Thing is, I just don't like what they did, overall. They could've gotten a lot of solid starters at other positions with the #3 pick, and the ones they gave up. They already had Glennon. They traded a lot of immediate starters for an immediate bench player.

And if Trubisky panned out elsewhere all you'd hear is "lol they passed on grabbing a franchise QB for a few starters elsewhere and now they have nobody"

Disagree. From what I've seen of Trubisky, in his limited body of work, I see nothing that screams "Franchise Quarterback." In time, if everything works out ideally, a potentially decent NFL starter, but he doesn't fit the mold of what I, or most people think of when we think "FRANCHISE" QB.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of Trubs collegiate stats are very comparable to those of Rodgers, Brady and a couple of others...so, we never know until we see the results.
edmund_jags

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
edmund_jags wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
VanS wrote:

Disagree. From what I've seen of Trubisky, in his limited body of work, I see nothing that screams "Franchise Quarterback." In time, if everything works out ideally, a potentially decent NFL starter, but he doesn't fit the mold of what I, or most people think of when we think "FRANCHISE" QB.

That is irrelevant to what I said.
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:

Kpassgnon is another physical outlier. Of the whole Combine, this is the freak. 4% body fat. The frame can easily take another 20 pounds. He probably needs 10 pounds of fatty tissue for his health. Though raw and untutored, this guy has roadblock written all over him. Pass rush would be a bonus.

J

Glad someone else agrees. 4% body fat sounds cool, but it's really not healthy.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmund_jags wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
edmund_jags wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
VanS wrote:

That is irrelevant to what I said.

Not really. Reconsider your entire mindset.
Crickett

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmund_jags wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
VanS wrote:

And if Trubisky doesn't pan out and literally any of the other first/second round QB's do, all you'll hear is "lol they passed on grabbing a franchise QB and traded up for this stiff instead".

But that's for later. For right now they traded up for a QB with 13 starts who people aren't sold on as a franchise quarterback.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:

I liked Malik Hooker, Quincy Wilson and where they got Walker Jr. Not a big fan of Basham, Banner or Mack though. Stewart and Hairston? I admittedly don't have great knowledge of them.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

I liked Malik Hooker, Quincy Wilson and where they got Walker Jr. Not a big fan of Basham, Banner or Mack though. Stewart and Hairston? I admittedly don't have great knowledge of them.

I think the Colts did QUITE fine. Their first 2 picks were superb value, IMHO.
jaglou53

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Best and Worst drafts Reply with quote

I agree with those who said the Browns and Chargers had the best draft classes. Although the Browns should have one more terrible season, they have set themselves up well for the future. If Kizer is not the answer at q.b., they will be in a perfect position to get one of the "studs" who will enter the draft next season.

The Chargers offensive line should be fixed with Lamp and Feeney. Both should step-in on day 1. As a Jaguars fan, I wanted Lamp in round 2 instead of Cam Robinson since he seems more NFL ready at the guard position- a need for the Jags.

My 3rd best draft is the Jaguars. Admittedly, I am totally biased with this pick. Initially, I was down on their draft after they passed on Lamp in round 2 and Feeney in round 3. Once I had to time to research their picks in rounds 3-5, my opinion changed. Smoot should be a very solid rotational player on their d-line,
Westbrook has the ability to take the top off defenses and Blair Brown will immediately contribute on special teams and eventually start as a 2 down linebacker whose forte is stopping the run.

Fournette and Robinson will ultimately determine whether this draft is a winner, but if they play even close to their potential they will take a lot of pressure off Bortles and his interceptions should go down significantly.

I only have 1 "loser." What were the Bears thinking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: