You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My top 5 best and worst drafts.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: My top 5 best and worst drafts. Reply with quote

Remember, we're all entitled to our own opinions, here. Very Happy

My top 5 BEST drafts:

#1. CLEVELAND.
It's not just that they had solid picks this year, but they OWN next year's draft, with two 1st-rounders and THREE 2nd-rounders. They can do just about anything they want, basically. They know they're not ready to challenge for a Super Bowl right now, but what a great way to set up for the future. DeShone Kizer could be the steal of the entire draft, in time.

#2. L.A. CHARGERS.
They just made their offense a whole lot better. Mike Williams is a legit #1 WR, arguably the best one in this draft, and might make the injury-prone Keenan Allen expendable, QUICK. Lamp and Feeney were two of the very best interior O-linemen available, and both should be long-term starters. Both were steals, too, with Lamp going in the 2nd, Feeney in the 3rd.

#3. JACKSONVILLE.
Well, they couldn't have made the seeming transition to a power-oriented running attack any better with any other 2 players than Fournette and Robinson. Two perfect selections for them. It'll do nothing but help the development of Bortles, if that indeed is destined to happen. Time will tell with THAT. Smoot and Westbrook look like a couple of decent picks.

#4. BUFFALO.
Call me a homer all day, if you must, but I actually can't complain much about what the Bills did. Hit our three biggest needs, with the selections of White, Jones, and Dawkins. I just think that Kevin King might've been possibly a better selection than White, but we'll see. Picking up K.C.'s 1st-rounder next year was sweet. Peterman might be our backup QB, NOW.

#5. WASHINGTON.
Nothing cute or fancy here; they just took legit talent where it was presented to them. Jonathan Allen looked to be a top-5 CERTAINTY, until the injury questions popped up, but he's more than value at #17 overall. Same thing with Fabian Moreau, whom I think will well outplay his draft-slot once he heals. Ryan Anderson was yet another quality selection.

Okay, now for the five WORST, as I see it.

#1. CHICAGO.
I know; quite the original choice, but it's just true. So, you've just signed Glennon for big cash, and you trade up one spot for Trubisky, giving up not one, not two, but THREE immediate starters that you could've gotten from this draft, not to mention another one in next year's 3rd-rounder. Shaheen needs time, and was a bit of a reach, honestly. This sucked a lot.

#2. KANSAS CITY.
Unlike Houston, who at least traded up for a potential IMMEDIATE starting quarterback, the Chiefs traded up into the top-ten for a guy they probably don't expect much of anything from this year, barring injury to Alex Smith. Add to that the fact they gave up next year's 1st-rounder, and it becomes even more cause for despair. Their other picks were purely "meh."

#3. TENNESSEE.
I just feel that they could've done SO much better. Corey Davis and Adoree' Jackson might look okay on paper, until you consider that they could've had Jamal Adams and O.J. Howard. While I'll admit that CB and WR were more pressing needs, sometimes talent has to win out, and it's not like they had no use for two players like that. I think they'll regret these picks.

#4. SEATTLE.
So, with needs at OT and the secondary, they trade down and select.... Malik McDowell? I just don't understand. Kevin King, Cam Robinson, or even Ryan Ramczyk simply would've been MUCH better selections, and that's not even factoring in McDowell's tendency to run hot and cold. Ethan Pocic appears to be at least a halfway-decent selection. Pretty ugly, Hawks.

#5. DENVER.
I know it was a generally sucky O-line class, but it was still painful to watch a somewhat undersized, 25-year-old rookie offensive tackle with issues get selected in the top-20. It literally HURT, folks. Wish him nothing but the best, but.... yuck. Demarcus Walker might prove to be useful. Jake Butt could be okay, after he recovers from his ACL. This was uninspiring.

Last edited by Suffering_Bills on Mon May 01, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kiwibrown

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like our draft.

People have included Brandon Cooks in the NE draft so they get an A.

We used a 3rd round pick to get Jamie Collins who is a pro bowl caliber LB, so that should be included in our grade also.

That said I like the 1st and 2nd day of our draft and after that it is a bit meh.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwibrown wrote:
I really like our draft.

We used a 3rd round pick to get Jamie Collins who is a pro bowl caliber LB, so that should be included in our grade also.

That said I like the 1st and 2nd day of our draft and after that it is a bit meh.

Elaborate on whom your team might be, as in naming them?
DutchFalcon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
Kiwibrown wrote:
I really like our draft.

Kiwi's are green inside so he's probably a jets fan?
Didn't know they got Jamie Collins for a third though Confused

On topic: I liked the Bucs draft quite a bit. Think the Saints had some bad luck (Mahomes and Foster being sniped, possibly Takk aswell) and the Panthers seemed to have made the most of their situation with reports going around the Bills were beating them to the punch for some of the players they wanted. Chargers get my vote for most impactfull draft though; Rivers with a clean pocket is going to be a beast.

Last edited by DutchFalcon on Mon May 01, 2017 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
MWil23

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DutchFalcon wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
Kiwibrown wrote:
I really like our draft.

Guys, he has "brown" as part of his name. Laughing

Also, he's from New Zealand, hence the "Kiwi" part.

It's translated into American as "New Zealand Browns fan" or "Browns fan from New Zealand". Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
DutchFalcon wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
Kiwibrown wrote:
I really like our draft.

It's translated into American as "New Zealand Browns fan" or "Browns fan from New Zealand". Laughing

I was being a bit sarcastic Wink I thought the name was quite obvious.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DutchFalcon wrote:
MWil23 wrote:
DutchFalcon wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
Kiwibrown wrote:
I really like our draft.

I was being a bit sarcastic Wink I thought the name was quite obvious.

Still better to say the name of the team, in any case. Removes doubt. Wink
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep saying this everywhere but Glennon was not "Big Cash". He's essentially signed a one year deal and will be starting while Trubisky rides the pine and learns the system, something that a lot of teams don't do to rookie QB's anymore, but I truly believe is the best way to develop them. After year 1 of Glennon's contract, there is almost no money guaranteed and they can part ways, and his salary this year is something like #23 among QB's.

Say what you want about the pick and the player, because I'm not convinced by him, but regardless of whether they picked at 2 or 3, took Trubisky, Mahomes, or Watson, I would prefer that Glennon be on the roster in any situation. As far as immediate starters go, the Bears team is not overly talented by any stretch of the imagination, but its very unlikely that all the picks they traded away would become immediate starters. Its not as if we are talking about a few years of firsts and seconds. These are late day 2, early day 3 picks they gave up.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
I keep saying this everywhere but Glennon was not "Big Cash". He's essentially signed a one year deal and will be starting while Trubisky rides the pine and learns the system, something that a lot of teams don't do to rookie QB's anymore, but I truly believe is the best way to develop them. After year 1 of Glennon's contract, there is almost no money guaranteed and they can part ways, and his salary this year is something like #23 among QB's.

Say what you want about the pick and the player, because I'm not convinced by him, but regardless of whether they picked at 2 or 3, took Trubisky, Mahomes, or Watson, I would prefer that Glennon be on the roster in any situation. As far as immediate starters go, the Bears team is not overly talented by any stretch of the imagination, but its very unlikely that all the picks they traded away would become immediate starters. Its not as if we are talking about a few years of firsts and seconds. These are late day 2, early day 3 picks they gave up.

You make some pretty good points. I'll freely admit such. You ALMOST redeem the terrible move by the Bears, but not quite. Very Happy
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos bottom 5 how? The Pats make a similar move in 2011 getting Nate Solder and are heralded for it rightfully so. But it was a good move because they got a starter for 7 or 8 years. Denver makes a similar move on a similar talent and are bottom 5 because Bill Bellichick didn't make it?

Denver doesn't get top 10 picks often it's a rarity much like New England so you have to take a good risk when it prrsents itself much like Ne did with Solder. Do you not factor that in?

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
Broncos bottom 5 how? The Pats make a similar move in 2011 getting Nate Solder and are heralded for it rightfully so. But it was a good move because they got a starter for 7 or 8 years. Denver makes a similar move on a similar talent and are bottom 5 because Bill Bellichick didn't make it?

Denver doesn't get top 10 picks often it's a rarity much like New England so you have to take a good risk when it prrsents itself much like Ne did with Solder. Do you not factor that in?

It's all in my review, man. It's been explained.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nate Solder tested just about as athletic as Bolles while weighing over 20lbs more, being over two years younger as a rookie and was coming off 3 years of starting play for the Buffaloes.

Solder was a considerable better prospect.
Crickett

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top five favorite drafts

1. Cleveland Browns - Aside from free safety, slot receiver and nickel corner, I think they hit absolutely every need they had. I would say I think they could move themselves quite a bit closer to a .500 team after a free agency and draft like that, but that's what I said about Jacksonville last year and boy was I wrong. I thought they hit it out of the park with every pick. If I had any criticisms, I thought they could have drafted another defensive back instead of Ogunjobi (although I think the Howard Wilson pick partially made up for it a round later) and I'm not as high on Njoku as many others.

2. Indianapolis Colts - I thought they did a phenomenal job drafting players to fix their defense. Malik Hooker was my steal of the first round and I thought Quincy Wilson could have easily been one of the first players to go in the second round. Going by who they've added, I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts defense isn't down right good in a year or two. I thought they could have done more to fix the o-line, but I can understand why they didn't given how poor the o-line draft is. I mocked Zach Banner to the Colts, so I can't argue with the pick at all. Marlon Mack was a steal in the late fourth round. I think the Colts may have stolen the VALUE ORIENTED Kansas City drafts when they hired Chris Ballard.

3. Los Angeles Chargers - If you had told me the Chargers would draft Forest Lamp, Dan Feeney and Desmond King, I would have assumed they had traded down with Cleveland and received #12 and #33 in the process. But they didn't. They drafted Mike Williams #7 and then got Lamp, Feeney and King anyway. I initially didn't like the Rayshawn Jenkins pick because they recently gave their strong safety an extension and Desmond King was on the board. But they got King anyway, so that negates that criticism entirely.

#4 New Orleans Saints - I don't know if the Saints had a single bad pick in the draft. They did a phenomenal job fixing their defense on paper and managed to add plenty of help for Drew Brees at the same time. I didn't think Marcus Lattimore would make it past #6, but the Saints managed to snag him at #11. I thought every one of their many many day two picks could be described as a "value" pick. On the offensive side, Ryan Ramcyzk will not be asked to play left tackle, so I thought that was a fine pick at #32. Initially, I didn't like the idea of trading a 2018 2nd for a 2017 3rd round pick (I hate trades like that for the team trading away the future pick), but for Alvin Kamara, I completely understand it. When they signed Adrian Peterson, I wondered who they were going to team with him to be their pass catching back. Now I know. Peterson, Ingram and Kamara is a downright dangerous group of running backs. If I had one criticism of their draft, I would be worried about adding two injury prone players like Lattimore and Anzalone to what is already a very very injury prone defense. One of the big reasons cornerback was such a need for the Saints was because of injuries. That could still be true next year. The same can be said about linebacker.

#5 Pittsburgh Steelers - My number five team could have been any number of teams. Tampa, Jacksonville, Washington, San Francisco (despite the Beathard pick) Miami or a host of others. I liked every single pick the Steelers made until they got to the seventh round, and even then I might be underestimating their seventh round pick. If I had one criticism, I don't really know what role JuJu Smith-Schuster is going to play. I would think someone like Josh Reynolds would have been a better fit and available later in the draft as perhaps the replacement for Martavis Bryant that Sammie Coates clearly isn't. I thought Joshua Dobbs landed in the absolute best possible place he could have gone. Pittsburgh has a host of receiving options, quality running backs and arguably the best offensive line in the league going forward. He also has a future hall of famer to learn from who has been pondering retirement for a while.

My bottom five least favorite drafts

1. Chicago Bears. I was not a fan of any of the top three quarterbacks, so of course I'm not going to like trading up for.... really any of them. I'm convinced Mitch Trubisky would have been there at #3. I thought Gerald Everett was a reach in the mid second round. I thought Adam Shaheen was a bigger reach a pick later. I did like the Eddie Jackson pick, but I thought they needed a lot of help on defense in what was a very strong defensive draft and Jackson was their only pick on that side of the board.

2. Detroit Lions. I thought Jarrad Davis was a decent pick, but ahead of Reuben Foster? I already wasn't a fan of Teez Tabor, but after what were absolutely abysmal workouts, I figured he'd be a late third early fourth round pick. Kenny Galloday.... I didn't know who he was. I was basically told he was a size/weight/speed prospect a la Brian Quick. Okay, I can dig that. Why did they take him ahead of Mack Hollins though? My favorite pick of theirs was Michael Roberts, who I think can be a decent jack of all trades tight end. But even then they passed on George Kittle and Jake Butt for him.

3. New England Patriots - A product of having so few picks. I still don't know how they managed to get Derek Rivers and Deatrich Wise. Both of those were good value picks. Honestly I have to wonder if Kony Ealy will even make that roster. I don't know why they spent half their picks on offensive linemen in what was such a terrible offensive line draft.

4. Kansas City Chiefs - If the Chiefs are still a VALUE ORIENTED TEAM, they certainly didn't look like it this year. They bet the farm on Patrick Mahomes, and like Trubisky, I was not a fan of him. I'm sure I'll be wrong about at least one of the quarterbacks taken in the first and I don't know which one it'll be, but at the moment I expect they'll all be busts.

5. New York Jets - It should tell you what I thought of the Jets day 2 and day 3 that they are on this list despite selecting who I had ranked as the second best player in the draft at #6. I hated every single one of their picks after the first round with the possible selection of Jordan Leggett. In many cases I thought they were better prospects at the positions they drafted as well as several value picks at what I thought were more important positions of need for them.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
My top five favorite drafts

1. Cleveland Browns - Aside from free safety, slot receiver and nickel corner, I think they hit absolutely every need they had. I would say I think they could move themselves quite a bit closer to a .500 team after a free agency and draft like that, but that's what I said about Jacksonville last year and boy was I wrong. I thought they hit it out of the park with every pick. If I had any criticisms, I thought they could have drafted another defensive back instead of Ogunjobi (although I think the Howard Wilson pick partially made up for it a round later) and I'm not as high on Njoku as many others.

2. Indianapolis Colts - I thought they did a phenomenal job drafting players to fix their defense. Malik Hooker was my steal of the first round and I thought Quincy Wilson could have easily been one of the first players to go in the second round. Going by who they've added, I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts defense isn't down right good in a year or two. I thought they could have done more to fix the o-line, but I can understand why they didn't given how poor the o-line draft is. I mocked Zach Banner to the Colts, so I can't argue with the pick at all. Marlon Mack was a steal in the late fourth round. I think the Colts may have stolen the VALUE ORIENTED Kansas City drafts when they hired Chris Ballard.

3. Los Angeles Chargers - If you had told me the Chargers would draft Forest Lamp, Dan Feeney and Desmond King, I would have assumed they had traded down with Cleveland and received #12 and #33 in the process. But they didn't. They drafted Mike Williams #7 and then got Lamp, Feeney and King anyway. I initially didn't like the Rayshawn Jenkins pick because they recently gave their strong safety an extension and Desmond King was on the board. But they got King anyway, so that negates that criticism entirely.

#4 New Orleans Saints - I don't know if the Saints had a single bad pick in the draft. They did a phenomenal job fixing their defense on paper and managed to add plenty of help for Drew Brees at the same time. I didn't think Marcus Lattimore would make it past #6, but the Saints managed to snag him at #11. I thought every one of their many many day two picks could be described as a "value" pick. On the offensive side, Ryan Ramcyzk will not be asked to play left tackle, so I thought that was a fine pick at #32. Initially, I didn't like the idea of trading a 2018 2nd for a 2017 3rd round pick (I hate trades like that for the team trading away the future pick), but for Alvin Kamara, I completely understand it. When they signed Adrian Peterson, I wondered who they were going to team with him to be their pass catching back. Now I know. Peterson, Ingram and Kamara is a downright dangerous group of running backs. If I had one criticism of their draft, I would be worried about adding two injury prone players like Lattimore and Anzalone to what is already a very very injury prone defense. One of the big reasons cornerback was such a need for the Saints was because of injuries. That could still be true next year. The same can be said about linebacker.

#5 Pittsburgh Steelers - My number five team could have been any number of teams. Tampa, Jacksonville, Washington, San Francisco (despite the Beathard pick) Miami or a host of others. I liked every single pick the Steelers made until they got to the seventh round, and even then I might be underestimating their seventh round pick. If I had one criticism, I don't really know what role JuJu Smith-Schuster is going to play. I would think someone like Josh Reynolds would have been a better fit and available later in the draft as perhaps the replacement for Martavis Bryant that Sammie Coates clearly isn't. I thought Joshua Dobbs landed in the absolute best possible place he could have gone. Pittsburgh has a host of receiving options, quality running backs and arguably the best offensive line in the league going forward. He also has a future hall of famer to learn from who has been pondering retirement for a while.

My bottom five least favorite drafts

1. Chicago Bears. I was not a fan of any of the top three quarterbacks, so of course I'm not going to like trading up for.... really any of them. I'm convinced Mitch Trubisky would have been there at #3. I thought Gerald Everett was a reach in the mid second round. I thought Adam Shaheen was a bigger reach a pick later. I did like the Eddie Jackson pick, but I thought they needed a lot of help on defense in what was a very strong defensive draft and Jackson was their only pick on that side of the board.

2. Detroit Lions. I thought Jarrad Davis was a decent pick, but ahead of Reuben Foster? I already wasn't a fan of Teez Tabor, but after what were absolutely abysmal workouts, I figured he'd be a late third early fourth round pick. Kenny Galloday.... I didn't know who he was. I was basically told he was a size/weight/speed prospect a la Brian Quick. Okay, I can dig that. Why did they take him ahead of Mack Hollins though? My favorite pick of theirs was Michael Roberts, who I think can be a decent jack of all trades tight end. But even then they passed on George Kittle and Jake Butt for him.

3. New England Patriots - A product of having so few picks. I still don't know how they managed to get Derek Rivers and Deatrich Wise. Both of those were good value picks. Honestly I have to wonder if Kony Ealy will even make that roster. I don't know why they spent half their picks on offensive linemen in what was such a terrible offensive line draft.

4. Kansas City Chiefs - If the Chiefs are still a VALUE ORIENTED TEAM, they certainly didn't look like it this year. They bet the farm on Patrick Mahomes, and like Trubisky, I was not a fan of him. I'm sure I'll be wrong about at least one of the quarterbacks taken in the first and I don't know which one it'll be, but at the moment I expect they'll all be busts.

5. New York Jets - It should tell you what I thought of the Jets day 2 and day 3 that they are on this list despite selecting who I had ranked as the second best player in the draft at #6. I hated every single one of their picks after the first round with the possible selection of Jordan Leggett. In many cases I thought they were better prospects at the positions they drafted as well as several value picks at what I thought were more important positions of need for them.

Good write-up. Nicely done.
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colts had the worst draft. Absolute disaster.
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: