Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If I was Mike Brown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonwbantle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: If I was Mike Brown Reply with quote

This would have been my draft. Thoughts?

If I was GM...

1.9 Jonathan Allen DT Alabama
2.48 Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma
3.73 Tim Williams OLB Alabama
4.116 Carl Lawson DE Auburn
4.129 Desmond King CB Iowa
4.139 Jake Butt TE Michigan
5.153 Isaac Asiata G Utah
5.176 Zane Gonzalez PK Arizona State
6.193 Brad Kaaya QB Miami (FL)
6.217 Ben Boulware ILB Clemson
7.227 Malachi Dupree WR LSU
7.251 Devonte Fields OLB Louisville

JBURGE25 wrote:
jason being hoh is honestly even better than I had ever dreamed it would be. This is truly the best first 2 weeks in BB history Laughing
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have zero need for Kaaya with no McCarron trade.

The number of huge red flag guys makes this feel like a troll job. Tim Williams with the failed drug test (plus he is strictly a 3-4 end) and Fields.

I personally would have gone with Allen too, but that means we needed Malone later anyway. And for the record, my only concern with Ross was his extensive knee history.

I loved Dupre to us since September. I was hoping we'd grab him at the end, but whatever.

King... Do we really need another CB right now?

I agree with Gonzales over Elliot. I like the idea of taking Butt and stashing him for the year, and Asiata had a few fans, including me, on a couple of Bengals sites.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: If I was Mike Brown Reply with quote

jasonwbantle wrote:

If I was GM...

.....come and see me in 3 years; I'll let you know how it all worked out then.
jasonwbantle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:

The number of huge red flag guys makes this feel like a troll job. Tim Williams with the failed drug test (plus he is strictly a 3-4 end) and Fields.

I personally would have gone with Allen too, but that means we needed Malone later anyway. And for the record, my only concern with Ross was his extensive knee history.

I loved Dupre to us since September. I was hoping we'd grab him at the end, but whatever.

I agree with Gonzales over Elliot. I like the idea of taking Butt and stashing him for the year, and Asiata had a few fans, including me, on a couple of Bengals sites.

Regardless of need, I took the top player available.

In response to you- Kaaya is so we can trade AJ if we want and gives us a solid number 4 we never have. CB? No- not a need but best player available and only Kirk Shaw and Pacman are proven at CB. Plus he can play safety and we could use some help back there at least for depth. We've taken quite the hit since Nelson left. Williams is an edge rusher. He can play 4-3 DE and has. Though I had him and Willis as a toss up tbh.

I'm not trolling. Red flags are just that- flags. I didn't get to interview them personally or obviously that would affect my opinion on Mixon and Williams. This is just in terms of talent (except Brantley)

And WR is not a huge need whatsoever. We drafted Boyd round2 to be our number 2 and pay LaFell 3/year to be a WR. Also have Erickson and Core as young WR talent. That said, I liked Dupree as a 3-4 rounder and got him at the end of 7.

JBURGE25 wrote:
jason being hoh is honestly even better than I had ever dreamed it would be. This is truly the best first 2 weeks in BB history Laughing
jasonwbantle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: If I was Mike Brown Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:

If I was GM...

Lame. Anyone can do that. It takes real skill to project that now.

JBURGE25 wrote:
KennyBania

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tobin makes more personnel decisions than Brown. Anyway, hindsight is 20/20. GM's don't have the advantage of knowing who will be available with their next pick.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:

I had originally wanted Zane over Jake as well. But I did a little bit of research. Elliot is actually more accurate from 50+ and never missed an XP, where Zane has. Jake also has more experience in bad weather.

Simmons worked out each of the top 3 kickers and his choice was Elliot, so I'll take it without complaint.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

I had originally wanted Zane over Jake as well. But I did a little bit of research. Elliot is actually more accurate from 50+ and never missed an XP, where Zane has. Jake also has more experience in bad weather.

Simmons worked out each of the top 3 kickers and his choice was Elliot, so I'll take it without complaint.

Yeah kicking is a weird thing that you would think would translate directly to the pros but rarely does. I mean look at Nugent - one of the best kickers in the history of college football. Can't even hit the Mendoza line of average NFL kickers.

Heck, even some really accurate NFL kickers totally crap the bed after years of success and never play again.

~T.S. Eliot
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

I'm not complaining. Gonzales alsio kicked at altitude, in warmer climates, and much drier air. My guess is that Elliot looked better during visits and they went with it. i have no problem with it.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: If I was Mike Brown Reply with quote

jasonwbantle wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:

If I was GM...

No; it takes real skill to predict the picks before the draft, not after it.

In terms of your 're-do' mock; the one area on the team we did not address was OL. I know the OL class was pretty weak this year; but we did lose Whit & KZ, and didn't really replace them; (given the so far poor performance of Oggy & Fisher). Andre Smith might become a good guard, but we have no idea. Right now our tackles are Oggy, Fisher & Winston with Hopkins & Smith who can kick outside. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.

I for one didn't like the idea of taking Jonathan Allen @ #9; just didn't see the 'fit'. He'd be backing up Geno. He'd be a UT for us IMO, not a DE.

Fine with Mixon, Lawson, Butt, Asiata, Gonzales (but not in the 5th), Boulware & Dupree picks, but not with the Tim Williams or Desmond king picks. Not sure we needed another CB in King; and the like I had with Brandon Wilson @ #193. Would have looked for the best OT option @ #73, and best NT @ #128.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

I'm not complaining. Gonzales alsio kicked at altitude, in warmer climates, and much drier air. My guess is that Elliot looked better during visits and they went with it. i have no problem with it.

yeah; the kicker situation was interesting. Simmons said he put the kickers through 'pressure tests' too, I guess where they try and reflect game conditions, crowd noise, rush up the middle etc etc. Elliott won out, and was the better guy on kick-offs too.

Interesting that Gonzalez ended up in CLE, so we'll get to see on gamedays who's the best head to head.
jasonwbantle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: If I was Mike Brown Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:

If I was GM...

In terms of your 're-do' mock; the one area on the team we did not address was OL. I know the OL class was pretty weak this year; but we did lose Whit & KZ, and didn't really replace them; (given the so far poor performance of Oggy & Fisher). Andre Smith might become a good guard, but we have no idea. Right now our tackles are Oggy, Fisher & Winston with Hopkins & Smith who can kick outside. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.

I for one didn't like the idea of taking Jonathan Allen @ #9; just didn't see the 'fit'. He'd be backing up Geno. He'd be a UT for us IMO, not a DE.

Fine with Mixon, Lawson, Butt, Asiata, Gonzales (but not in the 5th), Boulware & Dupree picks, but not with the Tim Williams or Desmond king picks. Not sure we needed another CB in King; and the like I had with Brandon Wilson @ #193. Would have looked for the best OT option @ #73, and best NT @ #128.

I have mocks published on draftutopia and was pretty accurate. So. Yeah. And we do know bc Andre smith played for us b4. Best player available - period. And I like asiata as a starter.

JBURGE25 wrote:
jasonwbantle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: If I was Mike Brown Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:

If I was GM...

And Allen would start next to geno at either position

JBURGE25 wrote:
jasonwbantle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyBania wrote:
I think Tobin makes more personnel decisions than Brown. Anyway, hindsight is 20/20. GM's don't have the advantage of knowing who will be available with their next pick.

I had no advantage Ashe either as I made all these picks on the spot:

JBURGE25 wrote:
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: If I was Mike Brown Reply with quote

jasonwbantle wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
jasonwbantle wrote:

If I was GM...

And Allen would start next to geno at either position

Not over Billings at nose. He'd come in for nickel. Most likely though, he'd play RDE on early downs, then slide in. I wanted Allen too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: