Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers almost traded Brett Hundley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooters22

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer_ESP wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
Victor1124 wrote:
If anyone offers the Packers a 3rd round pick or higher, they should definitely jump all over that.

I disagree. My starting asking price would be a 2nd and nothing less. We chose him in the 5th, originally he was mocked as about a third rounder. Now he has two years of being a backup to a very good qb, getting coached by maybe the best organization in football for developing young qb's. And given the fact that this was a awful qb draft. At the same token New England turned down a first round pick for Jimmy Girappolo. And I'm not ceratain that he's any better or that much better than Hundley. Keep the guy unless someone offers you a boatload. We need a backup until we trade him next season.

Career stats:
2/10
17 yards
0 TD, 1 INT
1 fumble

I know stats don't tell the whole story and all that jazz but I really can't see why anyone would give us a 2nd for Hundley. He played very well his first preseason, played just one game his second preseason and has only played garbage time (and somewhat poorly) in official games. Aren't we just overvaluing our own players?

Throw those career stats out the window. They mean absolutely nothing. His situation is unique in that he gets graded on how he practices and plays in preseason because that's the only time he showcases himself. Now if he somehow actually plays SOME MEANINGFUL SNAPS then I agree that will be part of the evaluation process. 10 throws isn't a true sample. So if he had completed all 10 passes he'd net us 3 first rounders? Under your scenario I'd never trade him then because we'll probably get a third anyways for him in a compensation pick. That's why I said a 2nd rounder would be my starting point and then start the negoititiating form there.
Packer_ESP

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such hostility when all I did was ask a question. If you think one good preseason two years ago is all it took to boost Hundley from a 5th to a 2nd, that's fine, I just disagree. "He's been coached by McCarthy" maybe isn't that valued as you think outside GB.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to trade Hundley anymore honestly. His value as a backup is better than what he could get us in a trade at this point.

Unless our defense is ranked worse than 10th in the league in scoring, I want to keep him all of this year. I think he has the potential of at least Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott's rookie years, and if our defense is top 10 in scoring you don't know what could happen.

If our defense is below 10th in scoring, yeah, trade him because we probably couldn't win the Super Bowl even with Rodgers if we have a bad or near average defense again.

Depending on our opponent, we could survive losing one or two games without Rodgers, and we could even have a chance at winning one or two games with Callahan (we almost won a couple with Tolzien).
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
I don't want to trade Hundley anymore honestly. His value as a backup is better than what he could get us in a trade at this point.

Unless our defense is ranked worse than 10th in the league in scoring, I want to keep him all of this year. I think he has the potential of at least Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott's rookie years, and if our defense is top 10 in scoring you don't know what could happen.

If our defense is below 10th in scoring, yeah, trade him because we probably couldn't win the Super Bowl even with Rodgers if we have a bad or near average defense again.

Depending on our opponent, we could survive losing one or two games without Rodgers, and we could even have a chance at winning one or two games with Callahan (we almost won a couple with Tolzien).

In terms of selling, I'd ideally like to get a 1st, more than that is gravy, and I'd be satisfied with a 2nd. For less than a 2nd I'd probably just want to let him play out his contract and collect the compensatory pick. I generally lead more towards sacrificing the backup QB for a player who can impact the field. Hundley isn't our future most likely, as he will want a starting shot before Rodgers retires. The player we Draft after Hundley very well could be our future after Rodgers, though. He'll be 34 this year, tack on 3 years of development, and you end up with a QB that is ready around 37. If Rodgers wants to keep playing, you can trade him if the backup is as good as Rodgers was behind Favre. It also gives us a good 3-year window to find a QB if the first one fails, because not every QB develops. But yeah, losing 2 extra games would've kicked us out of the playoffs almost every year we made the playoffs recently.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:

In terms of selling, I'd ideally like to get a 1st, more than that is gravy, and I'd be satisfied with a 2nd. For less than a 2nd I'd probably just want to let him play out his contract and collect the compensatory pick. I generally lead more towards sacrificing the backup QB for a player who can impact the field. Hundley isn't our future most likely, as he will want a starting shot before Rodgers retires. The player we Draft after Hundley very well could be our future after Rodgers, though. He'll be 34 this year, tack on 3 years of development, and you end up with a QB that is ready around 37. If Rodgers wants to keep playing, you can trade him if the backup is as good as Rodgers was behind Favre. It also gives us a good 3-year window to find a QB if the first one fails, because not every QB develops. But yeah, losing 2 extra games would've kicked us out of the playoffs almost every year we made the playoffs recently.

Jets were looking at QBs all off-season...so M.Wilkerson (whom they were looking at trading during the draft) for Hundley + Draft Pick?

Given contract details of course, since Mo is on his last year correct?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way in any hell we would get a first round pick for Brett Hundley. Not this year or next.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
There is no way in any hell we would get a first round pick for Brett Hundley. Not this year or next.

I can think of a way... but you aren't going to like the scenario. Laughing

Realistically Hundley's ceiling is probably a mid-high 2nd in terms of trade value.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the JETEs were shopping Sheldon, not Mo.

When Hundley walks, what is the likely comp pick? 4th or 5th? I think we should just keep him for that rate. I don't think we will find a better #2 QB in the meantime.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

packerjmf

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

When Hundley walks, what is the likely comp pick? 4th or 5th? I think we should just keep him for that rate. I don't think we will find a better #2 QB in the meantime.

If someone offers a 2nd next year, and Callahan, Hill, or anyone else we bring in this year shows at least a little competence at the position, I think we gotta pull the trigger. For a late 3rd or 4th though, I agree on just riding out the last year.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:

There's probably a scenario in which Hundley plays great in the preseason and can be flipped as part of a "swap of 1st round picks" plus change.

Like say Denver ends up picking in the teens and has convinced themselves that Lynch is not the answer, you could maybe trade Hundley and 32 for 16 and change.

Maybe the Jets overperform expectations and end up outside the range where they have a shot at a real QB in this draft.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packerjmf wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

If someone offers a 2nd next year, and Callahan, Hill, or anyone else we bring in this year shows at least a little competence at the position, I think we gotta pull the trigger. For a late 3rd or 4th though, I agree on just riding out the last year.

TBH, if they offer a 2nd, I would probably take it even if we didn't have a capable back-up, and absolutely make the trade if we did. A second is very much better than a comp 4th. I'm not sure where I would draw the line. Probably really early 3rd?

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:

There's probably a scenario in which Hundley plays great in the preseason and can be flipped as part of a "swap of 1st round picks" plus change.

Like say Denver ends up picking in the teens and has convinced themselves that Lynch is not the answer, you could maybe trade Hundley and 32 for 16 and change.

Maybe the Jets overperform expectations and end up outside the range where they have a shot at a real QB in this draft.

I think anyone pulls that scenario, its the Cardinals. They're a solid team but Carson Palmer is the most broken bodied quarterback in the NFL right now. If they can squeeze another year out of him, and they appear theyre going to try, they MUST have a quarterback next year. My guess is they make the playoffs next year but are out of the range of the Big 4 quarterbacks (who are going to FLY off the draft board if 2017 is any indication). So if Hundley trading is in the offing, i target the Cards.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
TBH, if they offer a 2nd, I would probably take it even if we didn't have a capable back-up, and absolutely make the trade if we did. A second is very much better than a comp 4th. I'm not sure where I would draw the line. Probably really early 3rd?

It's not like it would take a lot for Joe Callahan to be as good a backup as Graham Harrell was, and they were content with Harrell back there for multiple seasons.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

It's not like it would take a lot for Joe Callahan to be as good a backup as Graham Harrell was, and they were content with Harrell back there for multiple seasons.

god wasnt that mortifying knowing he was our backup Laughing

I hope Callahan isnt Harrell 2.0 where we just hang on to him even if he doesnt got it.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arodsmightybelt wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

god wasnt that mortifying knowing he was our backup Laughing

I hope Callahan isnt Harrell 2.0 where we just hang on to him even if he doesnt got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_0X0iYaKdI

I can laugh at it now. Man, I was angry at the time.

Also, I don't like Callahan. But I think he is much better than Harrell. I put Callahan about at the same level as Tolzein.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: