Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers almost traded Brett Hundley
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Packers almost traded Brett Hundley Reply with quote

Source: http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/30/report-packers-nearly-traded-qb-brett-hundley-during-draft/

Basically, the Packers were getting calls about Hundley on Day 3, but it didn't work out.

The Packers apparently liked Kizer. If I'm reading between the lines, the Packers would've traded with the Browns, but when Kizer fell to the Browns at 2.20, they likely found Kizer too good to pass up. If the Packers couldn't get what they wanted, it's smart to pass it up and see if they can get something after the Draft or next year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Demov, sure.
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Packers almost traded Brett Hundley Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
Source: http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/30/report-packers-nearly-traded-qb-brett-hundley-during-draft/

Basically, the Packers were getting calls about Hundley on Day 3, but it didn't work out.

The Packers apparently liked Kizer. If I'm reading between the lines, the Packers would've traded with the Browns, but when Kizer fell to the Browns at 2.20, they likely found Kizer too good to pass up. If the Packers couldn't get what they wanted, it's smart to pass it up and see if they can get something after the Draft or next year.

It wouldn't make sense not to look for a trade deal with Hundley this year or next if they believe he has high market value (2nd/3rd round pick) in comparison to the limited comp pick possibilities (late 3rd at the earliest). Says good things about Callahan too.

However, I'm not sure I buy the Kizer stuff. I agree with the article that suggested those might be rumors floated by GB to pressure QB-needy teams to give alot of assets to trade up with them.

I don't believe Demovsky has a good understanding of how the league works and he seems a bit ignorant at times. I take his reports/"analysis" with a grain of salt.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers likely wanted to gauge Hundley's value around the league; during the draft is a good time to do it.
Especially when you're taking calls at the top of the 2nd

Demovsky turned it into a "Hundley was almost traded !!! story - because that's his job
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
The Packers likely wanted to gauge Hundley's value around the league; during the draft is a good time to do it.
Especially when you're taking calls at the top of the 2nd

It feels like it's pretty natural to segue from "you want to move up and get Kizer?" to "How much would you give us for Hundley instead."

Though maybe since Kizer lasted a while longer, there weren't that many calls.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's one of the worst beat writers at ESPN, isn't he? IIRC, he is just trash.

Seriously, we're awesome. We all may or may not have mild-at-best psychological issues, but we are damn fun.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have taken more than a 3rd day pick to move Hundley IMO. They spend two years developing him, only to move him for a pick that's a round earlier than they initially invested in them. They wouldn't move him for less than a Day 2 pick IMO. And my guess is they'd want an early Day 2 pick to move him.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Victor1124

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone offers the Packers a 3rd round pick or higher, they should definitely jump all over that.
cooters22

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor1124 wrote:
If anyone offers the Packers a 3rd round pick or higher, they should definitely jump all over that.

I disagree. My starting asking price would be a 2nd and nothing less. We chose him in the 5th, originally he was mocked as about a third rounder. Now he has two years of being a backup to a very good qb, getting coached by maybe the best organization in football for developing young qb's. And given the fact that this was a awful qb draft. At the same token New England turned down a first round pick for Jimmy Girappolo. And I'm not ceratain that he's any better or that much better than Hundley. Keep the guy unless someone offers you a boatload. We need a backup until we trade him next season.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
Victor1124 wrote:

I disagree. My starting asking price would be a 2nd and nothing less. We chose him in the 5th, originally he was mocked as about a third rounder. Now he has two years of being a backup to a very good qb, getting coached by maybe the best organization in football for developing young qb's. And given the fact that this was a awful qb draft. At the same token New England turned down a first round pick for Jimmy Girappolo. And I'm not ceratain that he's any better or that much better than Hundley. Keep the guy unless someone offers you a boatload. We need a backup until we trade him next season.

Now I can root against the QB class next year so that we can get something for Hundley. Smile If worse comes to worse, you let him play out his contract, let him walk, and take the comp pick. If he doesn't get much interest, bring him back.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
Victor1124 wrote:

Career stats:
2/10
17 yards
0 TD, 1 INT
1 fumble

I know stats don't tell the whole story and all that jazz but I really can't see why anyone would give us a 2nd for Hundley. He played very well his first preseason, played just one game his second preseason and has only played garbage time (and somewhat poorly) in official games. Aren't we just overvaluing our own players?
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packer_ESP wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
Victor1124 wrote:

Career stats:
2/10
17 yards
0 TD, 1 INT
1 fumble

I know stats don't tell the whole story and all that jazz but I really can't see why anyone would give us a 2nd for Hundley. He played very well his first preseason, played just one game his second preseason and has only played garbage time (and somewhat poorly) in official games. Aren't we just overvaluing our own players?

Those stats don't tell any part of the story. Referencing them is moronic. A team would give up a 2nd for Hundley because of what they see on tape in terms of mechanics, control of the Offense, etc. Teams give up 1st and 2nd Round picks for QB's that have never played in the NFL. In fact, no NFL Draft pick has played in the NFL. So makes Kizer worth a 2nd Round pick but not Hundley?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a case like Hundley's career stats mean absolutely nothing. Rookies have zero career stats. Think of Hundley as an advanced rookie with pre-season tape.

Agree with Cooter. Nothing less than 2nd round value. It could very well be higher in another year.
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any second round pick should be enough for Hundley, I doubt (and hope) Hundley doesn't get much playing time during the regular season

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
Victor1124 wrote:

Now I can root against the QB class next year so that we can get something for Hundley. Smile If worse comes to worse, you let him play out his contract, let him walk, and take the comp pick. If he doesn't get much interest, bring him back.

You bring up a incredible idea, one that I myself forgot. Worse case scenario is keep him two full years, and have one of the better backups in the league. Then allow him to go where he wants and we'd probably receive a third or a fourth round draft pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: