Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steller Steeler receiver corp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
warfelg


Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 3531
Location: Richmond Va
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
When is the last time the team cut a 3rd Rd pick before his 3rd Season?


Almost never. It's not happening. People need to get over it.

Like I said:
3 guys, 2 spots.

Ayers, Hunter, DHB

My money is on Ayers and Hunter.


Where do these guys fit on the roster though and why?

I dont see anyway Hunter makes this roster -- he is too redundant. He is a low end deep threat and we already have Bryant and Coates to do that. What purpose would Hunter serve outside of depth? He is not a STer. He would be a guy who wouldnt get a helmet and wouldnt have a role unless their were a few injuries. Also very little chance some other team is all over him as a talent so there is a good chance he is still available if push came to shove mid season.

I think Ayers spot to the roster is through Rogers. Personally, I believe that's going to be the direct competition. If he can develop as a return guy I can see us keeping him as a 6th (w/ keeping both he and Rogers), but I also think between AB, Kniles Davis, Rogers, and even Sutton they could fill that role in other spaces, so he would need to prove to be special. I think to keep him as a 6th they would have to believe without a shadow of a doubt that he develops into something special (a la a poor mans AB) or that he is hands down the best returning option. Other than that...Im not sure why you keep him.

Just dont think this is the position to keep guys strictly based on potential and future involvement. LB and CB and both other positions that can offer ST help and also places where we need to take a couple shots on developing talent. Keeping Ayers as a hopefully to develop doesnt make sense to me. We are really good at drafting WRs as of late and his best hope I would think is to be a future #3 behind AB and hopefully JuJu.

There are only 3 LBs and 2 DBs currently on this roster that I see still being her beyond next year for certain - Dupree, Shazier, Watt, Burns, and Davis. Everyone else is debatable at that position. Our ability to reproduce receivers seemingly at will vs. our inabilities to retain quality DB/LBs lead me to think that those are the positions we should concentrate more roster resources to in hopes of development.


Ok so I'm working with 6 WR's going to be on the roster.

Brown, Bryant, Coats, Smith-Schuester.

So carrying 6 WR's that leaves 2.

I say Ayers because of his ability to return that ball and play the slot.

Hunter because he offers the ability to step in for Bryant on the fly. I think DHB is more likely to be there mid season for an emergency pickup than Hunter IMO.

Why Rogers on the outside looking in? He's only an inside WR. Can't offer anything on ST. Doesn't do too well on the outside. So a limited WR, who isn't a make or break guy...eh.
_________________
jebrick wrote:
Quote:
Jarvis Jones signs with Steelers


Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4862
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPeezy55 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
When is the last time the team cut a 3rd Rd pick before his 3rd Season?


Dri Archer Laughing

Twisted Evil You just undid years of therapy that had apparently worked.
_________________

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 11291
Location: 4 wins, PA
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPeezy55 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
When is the last time the team cut a 3rd Rd pick before his 3rd Season?


Dri Archer Laughing


Oh I completely forgot about that disaster.
_________________


Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4862
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
JPeezy55 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
When is the last time the team cut a 3rd Rd pick before his 3rd Season?


Dri Archer Laughing


Oh I completely forgot about that disaster.

Yeah, thanks a lot JPeezy.
_________________

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theironcitykid


Joined: 29 Jan 2015
Posts: 233
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steller Steeler receiver corp Reply with quote

SUPER43FLY wrote:
Brown , Martavis , Rogers and JuJu


Don't sleep on Sammie Coates. He's electric with the ball in his hands. I'm expecting this year to be his best year yet. Hopefully, breaking some fingers will teach him to properly learn how to catch the damn ball.

Hey - no more DHB Applause
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dcash4


Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 1478
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
When is the last time the team cut a 3rd Rd pick before his 3rd Season?


Almost never. It's not happening. People need to get over it.

Like I said:
3 guys, 2 spots.

Ayers, Hunter, DHB

My money is on Ayers and Hunter.


Where do these guys fit on the roster though and why?

I dont see anyway Hunter makes this roster -- he is too redundant. He is a low end deep threat and we already have Bryant and Coates to do that. What purpose would Hunter serve outside of depth? He is not a STer. He would be a guy who wouldnt get a helmet and wouldnt have a role unless their were a few injuries. Also very little chance some other team is all over him as a talent so there is a good chance he is still available if push came to shove mid season.

I think Ayers spot to the roster is through Rogers. Personally, I believe that's going to be the direct competition. If he can develop as a return guy I can see us keeping him as a 6th (w/ keeping both he and Rogers), but I also think between AB, Kniles Davis, Rogers, and even Sutton they could fill that role in other spaces, so he would need to prove to be special. I think to keep him as a 6th they would have to believe without a shadow of a doubt that he develops into something special (a la a poor mans AB) or that he is hands down the best returning option. Other than that...Im not sure why you keep him.

Just dont think this is the position to keep guys strictly based on potential and future involvement. LB and CB and both other positions that can offer ST help and also places where we need to take a couple shots on developing talent. Keeping Ayers as a hopefully to develop doesnt make sense to me. We are really good at drafting WRs as of late and his best hope I would think is to be a future #3 behind AB and hopefully JuJu.

There are only 3 LBs and 2 DBs currently on this roster that I see still being her beyond next year for certain - Dupree, Shazier, Watt, Burns, and Davis. Everyone else is debatable at that position. Our ability to reproduce receivers seemingly at will vs. our inabilities to retain quality DB/LBs lead me to think that those are the positions we should concentrate more roster resources to in hopes of development.


Ok so I'm working with 6 WR's going to be on the roster.

Brown, Bryant, Coats, Smith-Schuester.

So carrying 6 WR's that leaves 2.

I say Ayers because of his ability to return that ball and play the slot.

Hunter because he offers the ability to step in for Bryant on the fly. I think DHB is more likely to be there mid season for an emergency pickup than Hunter IMO.

Why Rogers on the outside looking in? He's only an inside WR. Can't offer anything on ST. Doesn't do too well on the outside. So a limited WR, who isn't a make or break guy...eh.


Appreciate the insight. I personally just have a hard time seeing 6 this year. I think our 5 look the same, but I just dont see the need for Hunter. Behind Bryant as the deep threat there is Coates - who offers more from a ST standpoint anyway. You would have to go down 2 guys to get to Hunter. WR isnt the position for us to keep luxury depth when theres too many weaknesses in too many other positions that can offer ST help as well as try to groom some guys for future potential.

I also think Rogers is out. I think JuJu cuts into his slot snaps and Ayers pushes for the spot too. Thinking back to last year there were a lot of reports about Rogers not being on time. Guys like AB can get away with that, but Rogers is going to be fighting for a spot in camp now. If he isnt on point in that area as well as on the field...he wont be here anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JPeezy55


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 4506
Location: 412
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
JPeezy55 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
When is the last time the team cut a 3rd Rd pick before his 3rd Season?


Dri Archer Laughing


Oh I completely forgot about that disaster.

Yeah, thanks a lot JPeezy.


Laughing Laughing

Whoops, I know we all want to forget
_________________

Welcome to Sixburgh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
armsteeld


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6778
Location: In your head
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nst8hh2VAck No words needed.
_________________




"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheClocksTickin


Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 1084
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nst8hh2VAck No words needed.


All well and good, but highlight reels leave out the low points. We all want that Coates but aren't sold that's the one we're going to get. Fingers crossed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4862
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheClocksTickin wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nst8hh2VAck No words needed.


All well and good, but highlight reels leave out the low points. We all want that Coates but aren't sold that's the one we're going to get. Fingers crossed.

Now that's just mean.
_________________

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MDSteeler1971


Joined: 14 Apr 2015
Posts: 428
Location: Jefferson, MD
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:

Ok so I'm working with 6 WR's going to be on the roster.

Brown, Bryant, Coats, Smith-Schuester.

So carrying 6 WR's that leaves 2.

I say Ayers because of his ability to return that ball and play the slot.

Hunter because he offers the ability to step in for Bryant on the fly. I think DHB is more likely to be there mid season for an emergency pickup than Hunter IMO.

Why Rogers on the outside looking in? He's only an inside WR. Can't offer anything on ST. Doesn't do too well on the outside. So a limited WR, who isn't a make or break guy...eh.


I'll bet you anything you want Eli Rogers is on this team!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skywlker32


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 2842
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nst8hh2VAck No words needed.


Just watched the beginning of it, and not that they aren't good plays from Coates, but the biggest thing I got out of it is that Ben throws such a pretty deep ball (especially compared to early in his career when he seemed to miss on deep throws often).
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group