Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steller Steeler receiver corp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dcash4

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:
The coates hate Shocked

Its gonna be a solid year for competition to crack this roster.

Locks:
- AB - Duh
- JuJu - Just drafted in the second. He is here
- Coates - He will make this roster if for nothing more than special teams, but its probably a certainty.

Fence, but leaning in:
- Bryant: Most likely here because of so much talent, but he should start worrying
- Rogers: Im getting close to leaning out, especially if JuJu can be the slot. AB, Bryant, and then a tough body guy like JuJu in the slot could be a nightmare.

Gotta be big in camp:
- Ayers: I think he is more talented than Rogers, but I think he will have to have a big camp and show his skills off in the return game to take the spot.

Bye:
- Hunter: Like others said, was here in case Bryant wasnt.
- DHB: Coates is the immediate ST replacement, and offers more on offense moving forward. Just no need.
- Side note on both: I doubt either guy gets a full time gig this year after we cut them, so they are probably both on speed dial in case of injury.

The 5 I would like to see:
- AB
- Bryant
- JuJu
- Ayers
- Coates

AB and Bryant in most two wide sets. JuJu and Ayers can split slot duty depending on style of game. Coates is the second deep threat and special teams ace.

They've carried 6 the past few years. It's a 3 man race for 2 spots with 1 of DHB, Hunter, Ayers on the outside looking in.

They are guaranteed to keep 5, they occasionally keep 6 and it usually means they are a ST guru.

I dont see the need for a 6th as of this year. We have solid options and the roster spot could probably be better served elsewhere. Hunter would be 3 times redundant behind Bryant and Coates and DHB doesnt offer anything that a younger, drafted Coates does.

I would think its Ayers vs. Rogers as the potential to keep 6. If they like Ayers potential, but think Rogers is more well put together at this time...maybe you keep 6 or if Ayers can take AB off PR duties for good.

But all in all, we are in a much better position to lose WR than we are any other position. We would be better suited for an extra LB/DB to make the squad and try to develop.
JPeezy55

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Dcash4 wrote:
The coates hate Shocked

Its gonna be a solid year for competition to crack this roster.

Locks:
- AB - Duh
- JuJu - Just drafted in the second. He is here
- Coates - He will make this roster if for nothing more than special teams, but its probably a certainty.

Fence, but leaning in:
- Bryant: Most likely here because of so much talent, but he should start worrying
- Rogers: Im getting close to leaning out, especially if JuJu can be the slot. AB, Bryant, and then a tough body guy like JuJu in the slot could be a nightmare.

Gotta be big in camp:
- Ayers: I think he is more talented than Rogers, but I think he will have to have a big camp and show his skills off in the return game to take the spot.

Bye:
- Hunter: Like others said, was here in case Bryant wasnt.
- DHB: Coates is the immediate ST replacement, and offers more on offense moving forward. Just no need.
- Side note on both: I doubt either guy gets a full time gig this year after we cut them, so they are probably both on speed dial in case of injury.

The 5 I would like to see:
- AB
- Bryant
- JuJu
- Ayers
- Coates

AB and Bryant in most two wide sets. JuJu and Ayers can split slot duty depending on style of game. Coates is the second deep threat and special teams ace.

They've carried 6 the past few years. It's a 3 man race for 2 spots with 1 of DHB, Hunter, Ayers on the outside looking in.

1.AB
2.Bryant
3.JuJu
4.Coates
5. Rogers

So even if they carry 6, that means 2 of those 3 will be cut.

Also think Bryant has NO reason to worry, as long as he stays clean, he will be here. An all world talent who simply needs to become smarter

Unless Rogers gets hurt or seriously out performed by Ayers in camp, I would be shocked to see Rogers cut after the praise he has gotten from Tomlin and Ben

Welcome to Sixburgh.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been supportive of Coates on here since he was drafted. He looked tremendous at times, but man he looked awful in the second half of the season last year. If he was that hurt, no way should he have been playing special teams.

If he can somehow regain his health and confidence and productivity then I'm all in, but as of right now, he needs to prove that he deserves a roster spot.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
I have been supportive of Coates on here since he was drafted. He looked tremendous at times, but man he looked awful in the second half of the season last year. If he was that hurt, no way should he have been playing special teams.

If he can somehow regain his health and confidence and productivity then I'm all in, but as of right now, he needs to prove that he deserves a roster spot.

The bold X 100000

Why ask a guy, who by all counts, youre counting on to be a good WR for you, play ST's and most likely re injure his fingers almost every play.

Fight off blocks, make tackles etc, isn't exactly rehab for broken fingers, keeping stitches intact. Didn't get that at all honestly

Welcome to Sixburgh.
warfelg

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPeezy55 wrote:
JLambert58 wrote:

The bold X 100000

Why ask a guy, who by all counts, youre counting on to be a good WR for you, play ST's and most likely re injure his fingers almost every play.

Fight off blocks, make tackles etc, isn't exactly rehab for broken fingers, keeping stitches intact. Didn't get that at all honestly

Because this team doesn't always make the best decisions with injured players.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:
coates better be gone, not Eli or Ayers.

The Coates hate on here is pretty stupid.

no it isn't. Based on performance if there is a choice between coates, rogers or ayers, I would cut coates - too many dropped passes. We have this discussion because we have too many WR's. If we had this for OLB, our team would be better imo.

This is exactly why the Coates hate is stupid....because some fans just hate on him without even knowing the facts.

As you SHOULD know and as warfelg noted, Coates had a pretty bad HAND injury that clearly affected him. A HAND injury to a freaking Wide Receiver makes that players job pretty difficult to do things like, I dont know...catch a ball....wouldnt you say?

Granted, even when Coates wasnt injured, his hands werent the best, but I dont recall you (or anyone else) calling for Bryant to be cut the year before when he was dropping very catchable passes and actually had a worse catch % than Coates did before Coates got injured.

Coates led the league in yards per reception by a wide margin prior to his injury.

What the hell has Ayers proven? Huh? Seriously, explain that to me? Coates has shown more than Ayers has to this point, but because Ayers made a couple nice plays in the postseason, everyone completely ignores what Coates did BEFORE he got hurt.

So yes, the hate is stupid....and this is coming from someone who absolutely HATED that we drafted him to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Marcus Tucker and Canaan Severin say hello. Some one will be traded. We have too much skill here. Yes they all can't win individually but that makes it even better ask Brady.

And Canaan Severin said goodbye 😉

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Granted, even when Coates wasnt injured, his hands werent the best, but I dont recall you (or anyone else) calling for Bryant to be cut the year before when he was dropping very catchable passes and actually had a worse catch % than Coates did before Coates got injured.

I really want to see fan reaction the first time that Bryant drops a very catch-able ball after all this Coates hate. He has some of the worst natural hands on the team. Everyone remembers the great acrobatic catch against the Bengals in the playoffs where he traps in on his knee....no one ever mentions how it was a perfectly placed ball that hit him right in the hands that he drops, but made up for it somehow.

Bryant is a better athlete and a better talent, but Coates was doing the things in the offense that Bryant was supposed to fairly well before injury.

I also dont understand how so many are just writing off Coates on special teams and what he brings to the table in the aspect. You need guys that can do the things he does. Thats not going away. Its not glamorous, but it needs to happen. And to have a guy that CAN fill that deep threat role so well AND be a stand out on special teams....he has a roster spot.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the last time the team cut a 3rd Rd pick before his 3rd Season?

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:

Almost never. It's not happening. People need to get over it.

Like I said:
3 guys, 2 spots.

Ayers, Hunter, DHB

My money is on Ayers and Hunter.

Hahahahaha.

Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Like I said:
3 guys, 2 spots.

Ayers, Hunter, DHB

Where do these guys fit on the roster though and why?

I dont see anyway Hunter makes this roster -- he is too redundant. He is a low end deep threat and we already have Bryant and Coates to do that. What purpose would Hunter serve outside of depth? He is not a STer. He would be a guy who wouldnt get a helmet and wouldnt have a role unless their were a few injuries. Also very little chance some other team is all over him as a talent so there is a good chance he is still available if push came to shove mid season.

I think Ayers spot to the roster is through Rogers. Personally, I believe that's going to be the direct competition. If he can develop as a return guy I can see us keeping him as a 6th (w/ keeping both he and Rogers), but I also think between AB, Kniles Davis, Rogers, and even Sutton they could fill that role in other spaces, so he would need to prove to be special. I think to keep him as a 6th they would have to believe without a shadow of a doubt that he develops into something special (a la a poor mans AB) or that he is hands down the best returning option. Other than that...Im not sure why you keep him.

Just dont think this is the position to keep guys strictly based on potential and future involvement. LB and CB and both other positions that can offer ST help and also places where we need to take a couple shots on developing talent. Keeping Ayers as a hopefully to develop doesnt make sense to me. We are really good at drafting WRs as of late and his best hope I would think is to be a future #3 behind AB and hopefully JuJu.

There are only 3 LBs and 2 DBs currently on this roster that I see still being her beyond next year for certain - Dupree, Shazier, Watt, Burns, and Davis. Everyone else is debatable at that position. Our ability to reproduce receivers seemingly at will vs. our inabilities to retain quality DB/LBs lead me to think that those are the positions we should concentrate more roster resources to in hopes of development.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:

G Kraig Urbik comes to mind in 2010. They cut him even before his second season which I still don't understand why considering the problems the Steelers had on their OL at the time. Sure he may not have been a pro bowler but he was a serviceable player who is still playing I believe.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

G Kraig Urbik comes to mind in 2010. They cut him even before his second season which I still don't understand why considering the problems the Steelers had on their OL at the time. Sure he may not have been a pro bowler but he was a serviceable player who is still playing I believe.

Nice memory! He lost his job to UDFA Foster. Then was picked up like the next day by Buffalo where he was petty solid. A difference here is you keep more WRs than OGs but still, good point.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
JPeezy55

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:

Dri Archer Laughing

Welcome to Sixburgh.
JPeezy55

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Like I said:
3 guys, 2 spots.

Ayers, Hunter, DHB

Your math still doesn't add up, 6 WR's

1.Brown
2.Bryant
3.Coates
4.JuJu
5.Rogers

That leaves those 3 guys for 1 spot

Welcome to Sixburgh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: