Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Draft Breakdown and Analysis
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DraftHobbyist


Joined: 17 Aug 2014
Posts: 349
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Packers Draft Breakdown and Analysis Reply with quote

(Author's Note - I originally wrote this for the general NFL Draft subforum, but wanted to move it here, so if the wording gets weird, that's why.)

I'm pretty happy with the Packers Draft, but there was room for improvement. Overall, it's about a solid B:

CB Kevin King (2.1) - This has to be one of the best picks in the entire Draft. CB was a need long-term, I'm not sure he sees the field at first because I think we field Randall #1 CB, House #2 CB, and Rollins #3 Slot DB, but we can eventually let House go and King can come in if there is an injury or someone struggles. What makes this pick great is we got the tallest CB but also the most agile CB in the entire Draft, a great and rare combination. This pick solves so many problems for the Packers, because he can cover tall TE's, TE/WR tweeners, tall WR's, he can play in the slot, he can play outside, and long-term, he's going to be a dominant #1 CB to lock-down the opponent's #1 WR. And when some of these teams can't move their #1 WR to the slot to free him up if he's losing, that's going to be really frustrating to their Offense. And to top it all off, the Packers traded down getting 2.1 (first pick on Day 2) and 4.1 (first pick on Day 4), two highly coveted picks due to the break after the previous Day to analyze the board.

S Josh Jones (2.29) - This pick will confuse some people at first, but he is a Morgan Burnett replacement, who is going into his contract year. Capers likes to use two S's that can both play high but also can both come down into the box to create confusion and stop the run. That's exactly what Josh Jones is. Ask some people and he's a FS, ask others and he's a SS. Burnett was the same way, where he was a FS in college but plays a SS for the Packers. Barring injury, he doesn't help the Packers right away, but he will save us money next year by allowing us to let Morgan Burnett go, and that will also net us a comp pick.

DL Montravious Adams (3.29) - I think he probably plays at 3-4 DE for us. Some people have been speculating that Dean Lowry could move from 3-4 DE to 3-4 OLB at the SAM position as an Elephant. That actually makes a lot of sense to me, but even if he isn't moved, Adams adds to the rotation. It's a solid pick where I think the value met the need. This is especially useful given that Letroy Guion was suspended.

LB Vince Biegel (4.1) - The hometown man comes home. I have to wonder if the meeting with TJ Watt was really about getting information on Biegel. I like the fact that Biegel has played in the 3-4 Defense, and he was moved around in college. Is he an OLB or ILB for us is a good question as we really needed depth at both positions but only grabbed Biegel. There was other talent on the board at other positions, but at EDGE, he was by far my top guy left, so I think the value was about right.

RB Jamaal Williams (4.2Cool - This is one of the better picks the Packers made, right behind the Kevin King pick. I was a bit frustrated the Packers went Defense 4 straight picks in a row, but when Jamaal Williams lands in your lap that helps a bit. RB was a big, bit need, and Williams has a great shot to see the field considerably, as Ty Montgomery is our #1 RB that will need to have a limited snap count. This was a popular guy on Draft Twitter, and I really feel like he was one of the last RB's before a drop off.

WR DeAngelo Yancey (5.32) - I hate this pick. I know some people will defend it and say that Yancey has talent, but I think we could've gotten him later, and if we couldn't have, we could've chosen a different guy at the position. I hate that he didn't return in college when we need a returner, I hate that there's a solid chance he gets cut right away, I hate that if he is cut another team might take a chance on signing him so we could be drafting for another team, and I especially hate that he's not really that athletic. The only thing I like about this pick is that he does fit the typical Packers mod, where he has some weight (220), he has some strength (21 bench), he runs in the low 4.5's (4.53 40), and he's not terrible at anything (6.84 3-cone is okay). But like I said, couldn't we have gotten a WR with some return skills at this pick? This is easily my least favorite pick of the Packers Draft. This was a pre-Draft visit.

RB Aaron Jones (5.39) - I see why they doubled up as insurance in case Jamaal Williams doesn't work out and the talent does meet the value here, but I didn't see this as a necessary pick. He'll probably get beat out by Williams, but he also is insurance policy in case Christine Michael can't catch on mentally, so we have a good RB competition now. For 3-4 spots, we'll have Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Christine Michael, Don Jackson who always performs well in our practices but will likely come up short again, and then our later pick to be mentioned in Devante Mays. That's 6 guys for 3 spots, maybe a 4th if a couple guys really hit it off. So while he is the 2nd RB taken, he could still make the roster, even if Williams makes the roster as well. He was a pre-Draft visit.

OL Kofi Amichia (6.29) - I don't know too much about Amichia, but he seems like a solid fit for what we do, and I know South Florida runs the ball really effectively historically, so I'm excited about him. From what I read, he played OT in college and is an OG/C projection. We run a ZBS so that's a perfect fit.

He's actually quite athletic with a sub-5.0 40 (4.99) despite a leg injury (not sure when it was sustained or if it was after the 40 during the Pro Day). I know it's only OL jumping, but to show his athleticism, he jumped 33 1/2" in the VJ and 9'6" in the BJ. I'm getting conflicting information on the bench, with NFLDraftScout saying 32 reps and NESN saying 22 reps. Throw on 33 3/4" arms and 10 1/8" hands and I have to think he only fell because of that injury. He's 6'4" 302 lbs, and for those who care about 10-splits, it was a 1.74.

I'm reading he was off-the-radar from Draft Twitter, but I really don't think he was off-the-radar of the NFL. He is very athletic, and in the USF Offense, they ran very effectively and gave up very few pressures as a unit. He was the LT of that unit, and he was 1st Team AAC. There's no way a guy like that sneaks by the NFL, and in a pretty bad OL class, I'm happy to have gotten him in the 6th Round. He was a pre-Draft visit.

RB Devante Mays (7.20) - People may wonder why the Packers took a 3rd RB, and while he probably doesn't make the team, it does make sense. He's more of a short-yardage back. He is a really weird guy, athletically. He's 5'10" 230 lbs who runs a 4.52 40, lifts 22 bench reps, jumps through the roof with a 40 1/2" VJ, a very good 10'9" BJ, and then very bad agility with 4.53 20S and 7.43 3C. So I think we're looking at him as a guy who can get the ball on 3rd and 1. He had a reasonable 1.62 10-split as well. I have to chuckle at the fact that his 20S is slower than his 40. So yeah, he's a situational role player, but a long shot to make the team IMO.

WR Malachi Dupre (7.29) - The Packers love adding WR competition in the 7th. He's another guy that didn't return in college, but he was by far my top WR left. I think he was held down by the LSU QB's, and I'm excited about him. I like this pick a lot, but obviously he was a 7th Rounder for a reason. The main thing I don't like about him is his 7.19 3-cone, but I think he has a lot of other attributes to like to make up for it in size, quick enough speed, good enough strength, and some ability to fight for balls.

Overall - We got some solid talent, we got 10 guys, we replaced some future losses, and our top pick improves our biggest weakness from last year. There's not a lot of immediate help on the field, some holes weren't filled, we didn't pick up any luxury extras like a K, P, LS, FB, or backup QB, either. For these reasons, I give us a solid B.

Interesting Note - The Packers drafted 3 pre-Draft visits, which is pretty rare for us. Of the other visits, Johnathan Calvin was also landed as an UDFA, which is fewer than usual. So overall, it seems the Packers spent more visits Draft prospects this year and fewer visits on UDFA prospects.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cadmus


Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 2337
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kofi definitely had 32 reps.

There was a mistake in how it was reported and his agent had to clear it up. (NFLDS also had him at 22 initially).

Go watch his 2016 games vs Towson, NIU, and Syracuse (really anything in 2016 before October 21st) if you want to get a good feel for him as a player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jsitton71#


Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Posts: 1742
Location: kenosha
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff man!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackyAttacky


Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 206
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a lot of help that was drafted, because well how do I put this, we're pretty dang good. Did the Pats draft a ton of day one starters, how about the Falcons or Steelers?
IMO there was one spot where a starter could have been drafted and that was ILB. TT and company just told you that they are fine with Joe Thomas OR Blake Martinez.

RG was filled a day or two before the draft with Evans signing.

Luxury picks? Draft a kicker and then what, cut him and watch him sign with some other team? This is terrible logic. Might as well just give other teams your picks if you do that. FB makes no sense either, not with all the running backs we drafted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DraftHobbyist


Joined: 17 Aug 2014
Posts: 349
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackyAttacky wrote:
There is not a lot of help that was drafted, because well how do I put this, we're pretty dang good. Did the Pats draft a ton of day one starters, how about the Falcons or Steelers?
IMO there was one spot where a starter could have been drafted and that was ILB. TT and company just told you that they are fine with Joe Thomas OR Blake Martinez.

RG was filled a day or two before the draft with Evans signing.

Luxury picks? Draft a kicker and then what, cut him and watch him sign with some other team? This is terrible logic. Might as well just give other teams your picks if you do that. FB makes no sense either, not with all the running backs we drafted.


Are you implying I should give the Draft an A?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Packerraymond


Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 19270
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how anyone can say we won't see a lot of help on the field from these guys until they actually see the field. Wouldn't be crazy to say we could have a #1 CB, Micah Hyde's replacement, a rotational DL and EDGE and our #2 RB from this group. We didn't have a ton of holes to begin with, so we we're never drafting for starters.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DraftHobbyist


Joined: 17 Aug 2014
Posts: 349
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
I don't know how anyone can say we won't see a lot of help on the field from these guys until they actually see the field. Wouldn't be crazy to say we could have a #1 CB, Micah Hyde's replacement, a rotational DL and EDGE and our #2 RB from this group. We didn't have a ton of holes to begin with, so we we're never drafting for starters.


I see that you are trying to disagree with me because I said something negative, but you literally just said what I said. For these criticisms, I wonder if you guys are actually arguing that the grade should be an A, because I gave it a B, which is solid.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackyAttacky


Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 206
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
There is not a lot of help that was drafted, because well how do I put this, we're pretty dang good. Did the Pats draft a ton of day one starters, how about the Falcons or Steelers?
IMO there was one spot where a starter could have been drafted and that was ILB. TT and company just told you that they are fine with Joe Thomas OR Blake Martinez.

RG was filled a day or two before the draft with Evans signing.

Luxury picks? Draft a kicker and then what, cut him and watch him sign with some other team? This is terrible logic. Might as well just give other teams your picks if you do that. FB makes no sense either, not with all the running backs we drafted.


Are you implying I should give the Draft an A?


I guess I don't see the whole grade thing the day after the draft. I disagree with the luxury picks thing for sure. B is fine with me. Couple years from now when King and Jones are starting, thats all I want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mazrimiv


Joined: 01 Jan 2013
Posts: 1191
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackyAttacky wrote:
There is not a lot of help that was drafted, because well how do I put this, we're pretty dang good.

...on offense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packfanfb


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 1668
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked our draft from top to bottom other than the Mays pick. Would have taken my top CB or OLB left on the board, but it was a 7th round pick so it's not a biggie.

I like our new pieces on defense but it seems like every year we get a bunch of new defensive pieces and under Capers we see the same product every year so I'll be skeptical until I see actual improvement on the field.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackyAttacky


Joined: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 206
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazrimiv wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
There is not a lot of help that was drafted, because well how do I put this, we're pretty dang good.

...on offense.


So you the norm for the defense was last year, or maybe they were injured and going to get better by default?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1477
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First four picks were great. Then we got a slew of runners and receivers to see who pans out on offense, along with a developmental G.

I get the B. I'd probably go B+, but that is splitting hairs.

I give the plus because TT won the trade down and we drafted guys who are very scheme versatile. King can play boundary, slot or safety. Jones can play either safety, cover corner or linebacker. Adams can play anywhere on the line. Biegel can play edge or middle.

Love what those guys can bring.
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EdMathews


Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 928
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegas492 wrote:
First four picks were great. Then we got a slew of runners and receivers to see who pans out on offense, along with a developmental G.

I get the B. I'd probably go B+, but that is splitting hairs.

I give the plus because TT won the trade down and we drafted guys who are very scheme versatile. King can play boundary, slot or safety. Jones can play either safety, cover corner or linebacker. Adams can play anywhere on the line. Biegel can play edge or middle.

Love what those guys can bring.


We don't know if we won the trade down until we see that King and Biegel are more impactful players than Watt or Foster. We could have had either, each at a position of weakness. Foster was someone we never thought we had a shot at but there he was. I like the trade down, but if Foster becomes Ray Lewis, or Watt is anywhere near his brother...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 15984
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are a bit too down on Yancey. He is a slightly bigger, slightly quicker, slightly weaker James Jones. Watch his highlights, and then watch James Jones highlights. This is a mold of player the Mike McCarthy Packers have made work. Believe me, I HATED the James Jones pick. I was wrong. He was good. Don't write the man off before he even gets to the field.
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1477
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMathews wrote:
vegas492 wrote:
First four picks were great. Then we got a slew of runners and receivers to see who pans out on offense, along with a developmental G.

I get the B. I'd probably go B+, but that is splitting hairs.

I give the plus because TT won the trade down and we drafted guys who are very scheme versatile. King can play boundary, slot or safety. Jones can play either safety, cover corner or linebacker. Adams can play anywhere on the line. Biegel can play edge or middle.

Love what those guys can bring.


We don't know if we won the trade down until we see that King and Biegel are more impactful players than Watt or Foster. We could have had either, each at a position of weakness. Foster was someone we never thought we had a shot at but there he was. I like the trade down, but if Foster becomes Ray Lewis, or Watt is anywhere near his brother...


I'll take the picks 33 and 108 versus 29. On the point value chart TT "won" by 50 points, or so I remember. I'll take that. Especially in this draft.

Corner was the biggest position of need. Grabbing King, a true boundary corner allows the club to move Randall (or Rollins) to the Hyde role right away. And instantly we are better at two positions.

TJ would have split time. Foster would not have. But Foster has issues.

On a whole, the drafting of a boundary corner should help the defense more than taking an ILB or Edge.

But I get your point. It'll be fun watching TJ. Especially where he went. He will have every opportunity to develop.
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group