Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills Fire GM Whaley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerica wrote:
SteveJohnson13 wrote:
There were rumblings of this pre-draft. There were scouts heading into the draft that were saying theyre jobs were as good as gone post draft. I know if i was about to get fired id give a bunch of misinformation to ruin a team out of being spiteful. I guess they have a reputation to uphold though. Doug was a pretty good at evaluating talent, but that's about the extent of what he brings as a GM.

So petty.

And good luck getting another job in the NFL.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why now? Even if he's not calling the shots why not do it earlier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He traded up to get Sammy Watkins in one of the greatest WR drafts ever and 3 years later Sammy isn't even the best guy from that class. He might not be top 3

Laughing
Beast M0de

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3MVP wrote:
He traded up to get Sammy Watkins in one of the greatest WR drafts ever and 3 years later Sammy isn't even the best guy from that class. He might not be top 3

that's a bit misleading.

When healthy, I don't think anyone can deny talent wise he's top 2-3 from that draft. His problem has been staying on the field and as a GM that's tough to predict.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Did you read any of the thread? So they didnt have to start from scratch in the scouting process...

Adopt a Bill: Marcell Dareus and Richie Incognito
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3MVP wrote:

I will defend that move until the day that I die. Sammy was seen as the next best WR, almost unanimous top WR in that class and a playmaker of the highest order. I loved that move because I truly believed Sammy was going to be a top 5 WR by now. Can't predict injuries, hindsight is 20/20, I loved it when we got him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:

I will defend that move until the day that I die. Sammy was seen as the next best WR, almost unanimous top WR in that class and a playmaker of the highest order. I loved that move because I truly believed Sammy was going to be a top 5 WR by now. Can't predict injuries, hindsight is 20/20, I loved it when we got him.

My issue with it was the price (we got the same from KC moving up 17 spots that we gave Cleveland to move up 5 spots) and the fact that they were doubling down on EJ.

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast M0de wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:

that's a bit misleading.

When healthy, I don't think anyone can deny talent wise he's top 2-3 from that draft. His problem has been staying on the field and as a GM that's tough to predict.

Except it's not remotely misleading . He is never healthy and when he is he isn't producing like the player we invested in and let's not declare the KC deal as great yet.

Whaley made a couple nice moves with acquiring Hughes and McCoy but made some way to many horrible ones, we have some bad contracts, some horrendous drafting and the result is a 6 win team trending down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. McDermott was calling all the shots and has been for months.

Whaley was atrocious at his job.

I'm assuming they're going to hire a puppet GM?

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. McDermott was calling all the shots and has been for months.

All the reports and rumours seem to be someone who has had experience with McD before.

My best guess is it'll be someone worthy of the promotion who McD knows he can work with and understand their views of building a team. That's why guys like Beane and Veach make sense.

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:

My issue with it was the price (we got the same from KC moving up 17 spots that we gave Cleveland to move up 5 spots) and the fact that they were doubling down on EJ.

My issue with the move up was the price coupled with it being common knowledge that the draft was deep in WR's. Playoff teams don't necessarily have to have the top 2-3 players in a position. It's a team sport and we would have benefited from staying put, going to the next player on our board, and added more players with our other picks over the next 2 years. We weren't one player from going to the playoffs, so IMHO the smarter move was to stay put and add more competition, especially in our weak areas. Moving up for a WR was an idiotic move. Now, had they thought they had a franchise QB there to pick, I would have been all over it. Apples to oranges though.

Adopt a Bill:
I'd like to adopt myself as GM!
areksoo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:

Why would they want another puppet GM? Whaley was a puppet GM. He doesn't own up to anything and when it's expected that he would address the media, he hides. Where was he after Ryan was fired? He just has no leadership qualities.

Some team out there will eventually hire Whaley as a scout, but his days as a GM are over.

Only good can come from this for the Bills.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

areksoo wrote:
Why would they want another puppet GM? Whaley was a puppet GM. He doesn't own up to anything and when it's expected that he would address the media, he hides. Where was he after Ryan was fired? He just has no leadership qualities.

Some team out there will eventually hire Whaley as a scout, but his days as a GM are over.

Only good can come from this for the Bills.

Doug Whaley wasn't a puppet GM, he was a lame duck. I mean, Anthony Lynn doesn't go from favorite to out the door without a job unless someone intervenes. And that comes from above ownership. I'm not saying that Whaley did a good job or that he was a good GM, but calling him a puppet GM is inaccurate.

As for the new GM, it's clear that McDermott has the trust of ownership. And it's a good chance he had a choice of many gigs, so why Buffalo? I'm not sure this isn't a situation like San Francisco.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Did you read any of the thread? So they didnt have to start from scratch in the scouting process...
That's really not a good reason. Every other team moves on from their guy earlier. He isn't the only scout, nor is it like anyone else they bring in wouldn't have been working on things beforehand.

If you think he's bad enough to warrant being fired, why would you want his scouting reports over the reports of someone else that you do have faith in?

Live life like you're down 3-1
bertuzzi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same ol bills, revolving door of GMs and coaches. It will never change and we will always suck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: