You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills Fire GM Whaley
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Bills Fire GM Whaley Reply with quote

Quote:
Bills have fired their GM Doug Whaley.

Per Schefter

Lol

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
base615

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? If you want a new GM, wouldn't you hire them (and fire the old one) before the draft?
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the owner really wasn't happy with the draft.

2016 Adopt A Brown: Al Saunders
SteveJohnson13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were rumblings of this pre-draft. There were scouts heading into the draft that were saying theyre jobs were as good as gone post draft. I know if i was about to get fired id give a bunch of misinformation to ruin a team out of being spiteful. I guess they have a reputation to uphold though. Doug was a pretty good at evaluating talent, but that's about the extent of what he brings as a GM.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
Our new head coach reportedly had full control of our drafting this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:

+1... Strange timing.

Wonder if there is more to this story?
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. McDermott was calling all the shots and has been for months.

Whaley was atrocious at his job.

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

base615 wrote:
Eh? If you want a new GM, wouldn't you hire them (and fire the old one) before the draft?

No because them you would have to start square one in the scouting process... Whaley and staff has been working on this for months. Rumor was before the draft even began that Whaley was going to be fired after.

But there is also speculation that McDermott was making the selection for Brandon Beane (Carolinas AGM and former interim GM)... and that why we jumped the Panthers twice and took Zay Jones (they ended up with Samuel) and Dion Dawkins who Carolina really liked (they ended up with Moton).

Last edited by marshawn lynch on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. McDermott was calling all the shots and has been for months.

Hyperbole much? No where near atrocious. He was terrible at conveying a message to the public tho which got him a lot of unnecessary hate... he wasn' the best of GMs but definetly wasn't. He had his strengths and weaknesses... he was good at finding talent from players over looked and has made some excellent trades with Chiefs 2017 draft (chiefs GM credits Whaley for this whole trade), Mccoy for Alonso, Hughes for Sheppard. He definetly had his downfalls but no where near Attrocious... he overall was just a Mediocre GM who excelled him some areas and failed in others.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:

Hyperbole much? No where near atrocious. He was terrible at conveying a message to the public tho which got him a lot of unnecessary hate... he wasn' the best of GMs but definetly wasn't. He had his strengths and weaknesses... he was good at finding talent from players over looked and has made some excellent trades with Chiefs 2017 draft (chiefs GM credits Whaley for this whole trade), Mccoy for Alonso, Hughes for Sheppard. He definetly had his downfalls but no where near Attrocious... he overall was just a Mediocre GM who excelled him some areas and failed in others.

2013 draft is all gone
2014 draft over paid for Sammy. Not hindsight as everyone knew that was terrible then.
2015 Darby was a Rex pick. Miller is solid.
2016 too early to tell but the mishandling of Lawson was terrible

He had his moments as a pro personel guy (not his job so how much was actually him) but in terms of an overall GM. Yes atrocious. Hung onto EJ and forced him on the coaching search in 2015, help put the team in cap hell where we couldn't even hang onto Hogan for a few million.

Hughes for Sheppard trade was good but also very lucky. Both teams parted ways with a player who was a bad fit. That's it.

The Eagles called buffalo offering shady and the eagles picked Alonso. Whaley was literally on a yacht and just had to answer a call.

Many reports suggest otherwise about the KC trade suggesting McDermott had just as much to do with it as Whaley.

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first this sounds like strange timing but it makes sense the more I think about it, scouts and personnel guys often get cut right after the draft because they doon't want to go into the draft without those scouting reports. If they were leaning heavily on Whaley's scouting for this draft, they might not want him gone before the draft.
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
At first this sounds like strange timing but it makes sense the more I think about it, scouts and personnel guys often get cut right after the draft because they doon't want to go into the draft without those scouting reports. If they were leaning heavily on Whaley's scouting for this draft, they might not want him gone before the draft.

This is the exact reason why... even tho McDermott was calling the shots he needs the scouting reports. And we are legit cutting everyone. GM, Director of Player personnel, scouts... doing all that right before the offseason would make little sense. It will take a long time to fill all those positions and would have put us way behind in not only scouting college players but free agents as well. This is the perfect time to make a change. We did the same thing when Buddy Nix stepped down.

Whaley knew he was going to be fired for months.... its just now officially now that the draft is complete.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveJohnson13 wrote:
There were rumblings of this pre-draft. There were scouts heading into the draft that were saying theyre jobs were as good as gone post draft. I know if i was about to get fired id give a bunch of misinformation to ruin a team out of being spiteful. I guess they have a reputation to uphold though. Doug was a pretty good at evaluating talent, but that's about the extent of what he brings as a GM.
You'd never get another job.
I back my talk up in person
Go play in traffic and tear both your acl's punk
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp0k2 wrote:
SteveJohnson13 wrote:
You'd never get another job.

And Im sure Pegula added some incentives for them to finish their job 100%

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveJohnson13 wrote:

So petty.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: