Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goldfish's Too Early Draft Rankings 2017 (Browns at 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Love what the 49ers did so I can see them being #1. Bengals had an incredible draft.

Don't sell the Browns short. They have one for the draft of the decade arguments. The 49ers are merely very, very good, even including the way they fleeced the Bears.

J

With the news that Caleb Brantley got all charges dropped, the gained value for the Browns soars, too (even if Howard Wilson got hurt, tough break, can't do much about that with a guy with no obvious injury risk above baseline after a healthy 2016, looked fully recovered from his 2015 ACL).
MemphisEagles

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this in the other thread. I would have taken Brantley before Peppers or Njoku minus this issue. Now they got four first round picks and three for the defense this year basically.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. San Francisco 49ers

Selections:
3. Solomon Thomas [ DE ] Stanford
31. Reuben Foster [ LB ] Alabama
66. Ahkello Witherspoon [ CB ] Colorado
104. C. J. Beathard [ QB ] Iowa
121. Joe Williams [ RB ] Utah
146. George Kittle [ TE ] Iowa
177. Trent Taylor [ WR ] Louisiana Tech
198. D. J. Jones [ DT ] Ole Miss
202. Pita Taumoepenu [ DE ] Utah
229. Adrian Colbert [ CB ] Miami (FL)

Best Pick: Reuben Foster
Concerns about shoulder injuries appear to be behind the slide, but according to the 49ers they were ready to take him at 3 after assuming the Bears were coming up to take Solomon Thomas so there was at least mixed medical opinions on him. One of the genuine blue chippers in the class, Foster had a miserable draft season but heís still an elite level sideline-to-sideline linebacker who can cover and hit with just utter violence. The 49ers have struggled in the wake of retirements and injuries at linebacker after an incredible boon period at the position, the good times should come back with the pick-up of Foster here.

Most Questionable Pick: C. J. Beathard
Even late in the third round, it was surprising to see the 49ers moving up at the end of day two to take a quarterback many wouldnít have been shocked if he was not drafted at all. Still, he looks the part and is coming out of a pro-style system at Iowa which will help acclimatise. At the end of the day, a late 3rd round pick isnít much to part with to simply throw a dart at the position, and Shanahan says he reminds him of Kirk Cousins. Speaking of which, his Cousins fetish is getting a little unhealthy at this point.

Steal: Trent Taylor
Have you see this guyís stats? Last season he caught 136 balls for 1,803 and 12 touchdowns and he capped off that pretty incredible year with an impressive week at the Senior Bowl where he just caught about everything thrown his way. At 5í8 and 185 pounds heís not a head turner from a physical point of view and that lack of size should be a concern. But, he was Kyle Shanahanís draft crush according to the man himself and he has raved about his combination of great hands and quickness. He could be what Taylor Gabriel was in Atlanta in this offense.

Overview:
If you havenít read Peter Kingís write-up of his time sat with the 49ers during their entire draft, go and read it. Itís an absolutely fascinating insight to the workings of a war room and how Lynch and Shanahan approached the event as newbies to their positions. I enjoyed it so much it probably impacted how I felt about this class. That aside, Lynch took a bit of heat for some of the contracts he doled out in FA, but answered his critics early by faking the Bears into parting picks to move up one spot before landing Solomon Thomas. Yes, itís another first round defensive lineman, but the 49ers are the 30th team to move to a Seattle scheme and heís essentially built to be Michael Bennett in this defense with his ability to set the edge and move inside to slip past guards.

Ahkello Witherspoon in the 3rd round is a nice value meets need selection. At 6í3, Witherspoon is another uber athlete for his size and many thought he was a superior prospect to his teammate Chidobe Awuzie. Heís an extremely smart guy off the field and that intelligence seems to reflect well on the field too. Joe Williams was another Shanny pick, if you read the article, despite being off Lynchís board initially. Obviously heís had a wild ride, kicked off Penn State and then retiring after a period suffering with depression after his sister passed away and then coming back to post an insane run of games. He went over 150 yards in six of the final seven games, going over 300 yards against UCLA and then 222 yards in the bowl game against Indiana. That combination of speed, lateral agility and endurance could see him brought into the offense sooner than later.

George Kittle obviously put up the exciting 4.5 forty time at the combine as well as some impressive looking jumps. Heís been used as a blocker primarily, but thereís more than enough athleticism to there to suggest he could be utilized more as a receiver in the NFL. Obviously the new head coach is no stranger to employing multiple tight end sets. I really like the D. J. Jones selection in the 6th round. At 6 feet and 325 pounds, heís weirdly round shape Ė but heís a powerful man and has some surprising athleticism. Heís need to beat out Quinton Dial and Earl Mitchell to get a look in, but thatís perhaps not an insurmountable task.

After that, we get two dudes not on my radar. Pita Taumoepenu is an outside pass-rusher, that looks like a special teams pick-up this late on and Adrian Colbert who didnít play much as a starting defensive back at Miami, but put up an impressive pro day performance there recently. Clearly youíd have to think heíll have to win a spot on special teams given that was his speciality in college.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reg!
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two, in this order, were obvious from the get go. No one is particularly close. Most years the 49ers would be tops. This year they ran into an epic draft. Cleveland's haul is otherworldly.

J

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Best Pick: Kevin King
Whatís interesting about the draft season for King, was that the knock on him from the tap was that people were questioning his athleticism because he kind of moves a little differently. So, it was amazing to see the athletic numbers that he did put up when the combine rolled around. 6í3 corners should not be able to run a 4.43 forty, a 6.56 3 cone and leap almost 40 inches. Those are things that should not happen. No wonder that size and athletic ability got Ted Tís attention. Itís just going to be difficult for passers to get the ball over him, if nothing else and if you try Ė heís got the ball skills to pick you off.

I don't think athleticism was a question; certainly, not the biggest. The concern was that he's soft on tape. He's not very physical or technically sound at all in press, lets the receiver get off the line quickly. Also, his attempts to tackle are often embarrassing. Outside a couple plays, he seems to want nothing to with the ball carrier and usually just dives at their feet. Both of these things were hard to missed in the cutups I saw of him.

I think the Seahwaks knew what they were doing here. Taking Shaquill Griffin at 90 was a much better SPARQ-star pickup, IMO.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:

Carps with some strong drafting this year...
Jlash

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Joe Williams was another Shanny pick, if you read the article, despite being off Lynchís board initially. Obviously heís had a wild ride, kicked off Penn State and then retiring after a period suffering with depression after his sister passed away and then coming back to post an insane run of games. He went over 150 yards in six of the final seven games, going over 300 yards against UCLA and then 222 yards in the bowl game against Indiana. That combination of speed, lateral agility and endurance could see him brought into the offense sooner than later.

UCONN.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals at 3 is a lot higher than I'd have them. I like Ross, but he's a big gamble in the top 10, having only one healthy, productive season. I guess there's a fair chance nothing happens off the field with Mixon and he's just a very talented player on the field, but calling him a great pick... Anyway, they spent their top picks at two spots that they already had AJ Green, Gio Bernard, Jeremy Hill, and Tyler Boyd.

The Ravens were knocked for not taking a WR. I'd argue that the situation with the Bengals offensive line is a lot worse. Teams are going to attack those tackles. There's no faith that Breshad Perriman can step up and become a good #2, but the Bengals rolling with Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher on the edges is fine?

I did think Jordan Willis was a great value.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Bengals at 3 is a lot higher than I'd have them. I like Ross, but he's a big gamble in the top 10, having only one healthy, productive season. I guess there's a fair chance nothing happens off the field with Mixon and he's just a very talented player on the field, but calling him a great pick... Anyway, they spent their top picks at two spots that they already had AJ Green, Gio Bernard, Jeremy Hill, and Tyler Boyd.

The Ravens were knocked for not taking a WR. I'd argue that the situation with the Bengals offensive line is a lot worse. Teams are going to attack those tackles. There's no faith that Breshad Perriman can step up and become a good #2, but the Bengals rolling with Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher on the edges is fine?

I did think Jordan Willis was a great value.
pretty much agree with this. I don't knock the Bengals for taking certain positions, though I wouldn't have taken Ross that high. I just didn't like their draft that much. Liked the Ravens a lot more tbh

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

Considering how weak the OL class was in this years draft, I'm thrilled that we didn't reach for an OLinemen and took some impact players instead. Also regarding our RB situation, Jeremy Hill has sucked for 2 seasons in a row now and Gio is coming off a torn ACL. With a talent like Mixon still there in the 2nd, I don't have any issues from a football standpoint of taking him instead of an OLinemen that wouldn't be starting on our team...
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals remind me a lot of the Giants. A really good group of weapons, a strong defense, an average QB... but an extremely questionable OL (mainly at OT) that has a chance of holding both teams back this season. There are obviously some differences - with the Giants having a stronger defense and the Bengals having a better running game - but I see a lot of similarities in their rosters.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Bengals remind me a lot of the Giants. A really good group of weapons, a strong defense, an average QB... but an extremely questionable OL (mainly at OT) that has a chance of holding both teams back this season. There are obviously some differences - with the Giants having a stronger defense and the Bengals having a better running game - but I see a lot of similarities in their rosters.
I honestly thought this post was a not so subtle shot at Eli with the average QB... but I think about it and I can't see Eli in the top 12-14 anymore. wow

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Carps with some strong drafting this year...

Hopefully we're finally going to start drafting well. It would be nice to finally give the rest of you AFC Northers a challenge.

Thanks Reg!
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on GFW just give it to us

catcheryea wrote:
DalCowboyzRule wrote:
you missed a crying jordan in the middle of your sig man.
you missed a bowl game at the end of your season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 26 of 29

Jump to: