Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do Not Fall For The Darnold Hype
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannenballs wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:
Allen is not a statue, but I don't think he's an awesome athlete like Cam Newton was. Hell, I think Paxton Lynch is more athletic than Allen. I'd bet my house he doesn't run a 4.6.

Does a 4.69 count Wink

In the last 6 drafts, there have been 3 quarterbacks I would bet my house on becoming franchise quarterbacks: Luck, Carr, and Winston. Darnold and Allen are in the same club.

The Bears should have waited, Jets and 49ers/Browns are going to be very happy.

Nah, Kizer is going to show he was a sleeper stud. Browns will use their 5 first picks in the first two rounds to finish off the defense and build up the offensive weapons.
tannenballs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self aware of what he needs to do to improve

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/02/usc-qb-sam-darnold-retooling-throwing-motion/

He's going to be a star. Best prospect since Luck.
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
What if Allen throws 5 INT's vs Iowa & Oregon like he did against Nebraska (the only P5 team Wyoming played last season)?

Some context is important. 5 ints is never good (though if I remember right, one of those ints last year hit his receiver squarely in the chest and bounced into the arms of the defender - hard to blame allen for that), but it really depends on context. He was also just fine for 3 quarters, and it really didn't come undone until the fourth. at one point, he threw three picks in 4 passes, I think...which is just very hard to do. I would suspect that game to be more outlier than anything. I wouldn't expect that kind of situation to happen again, but if it were to happen, most people who are big on Allen understand the things he needs to work on, and if he doesn't progress in those areas, that re-evaluation will be done throughout the season and people's views on him will shift accordingly.

I've said it before that I suspect a lot of Allen's numbers to flatline this year - he's not on a team surrounded by talent, and he lost an NFL caliber running back in Hill, his best wide receiver in Gentry, and some other pieces. His offensive line wasn't great (he was constantly under duress in that Nebraska game), and I don't know if they are going to be better. So his tape is going to be more important to me - I want to see the progression in more consistent accuracy and touch on some passes, and better judgment / decision making, and sometimes that's not always evident in the stats.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Jeremiah:

Quote:
I also had several sources close to Darnold tell me they wouldn't be surprised if Darnold played two more seasons at USC

I'd be shocked if he stayed two. I'd be marginally shocked if he didn't come out this year if he's the favorite to be the number one overall pick, but I wouldn't be completely floored - redshirt sophs are hit and miss when it comes to declaring that early.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
tannenballs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Daniel Jeremiah:

Quote:
I also had several sources close to Darnold tell me they wouldn't be surprised if Darnold played two more seasons at USC

I'd be shocked if he stayed two. I'd be marginally shocked if he didn't come out this year if he's the favorite to be the number one overall pick, but I wouldn't be completely floored - redshirt sophs are hit and miss when it comes to declaring that early.

I think he comes out
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A left tackle is different than quarterback. But people told me two years ago Mike McGlinchey was going to come out. He went back. People told me he was going to come out this past winter. He went back again. He loves Notre Dame like nothing else. Sam Darnold comes from a humble background and he's uniquely wired. He loves USC. I've brought this up here before when I first dug in on him. I would not be surprised if he stays. If Josh Allen decided to stay at Wyoming with this past group of QB's you can't rule the Darnold thing out.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Daniel Jeremiah:

Quote:

its always been his dream to play for the Trojans, this isn't that surprising. Especially if he's leading them back from ruins into glory.

We'll see if he actually follows through
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Teams do that all the time though. I think that's what teams did with Mahomes last year because coming out of that offense, I don't think I would be able to trust a single thing about his "body of work" or production in college. I wouldn't have been able to trust Trubisky's body of work last year either.

I'm not saying that isn't the case, but that doesn't make it right. Does anyone truly believe that Patrick Mahomes was a top 10 prospect? No. Which is why the cost that the Chiefs gave up to move up to select him was a hefty price, and incredibly risk especially given how raw Mahomes is/was as a prospect. If you aren't absolutely confident that you can take the best available QB prospect and mold him into a franchise QB, you pass and let someone else overpay for them. I mean, Buffalo did that this past draft. They needed a QB, and ended up moving down so that the Chiefs could take Mahomes.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Chiefer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Forge wrote:
Teams do that all the time though. I think that's what teams did with Mahomes last year because coming out of that offense, I don't think I would be able to trust a single thing about his "body of work" or production in college. I wouldn't have been able to trust Trubisky's body of work last year either.

I'm not saying that isn't the case, but that doesn't make it right. Does anyone truly believe that Patrick Mahomes was a top 10 prospect? No. Which is why the cost that the Chiefs gave up to move up to select him was a hefty price, and incredibly risk especially given how raw Mahomes is/was as a prospect. If you aren't absolutely confident that you can take the best available QB prospect and mold him into a franchise QB, you pass and let someone else overpay for them. I mean, Buffalo did that this past draft. They needed a QB, and ended up moving down so that the Chiefs could take Mahomes.

Buffalo don't got Andy Reid though, which is a great combo of styles.

Something forgotten in the draft is, do you have the necessary coaching required to take on a "risky" prospect
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Daniel Jeremiah:

Quote:

A lot of factors will contribute to the decision, but I could see Darnold pulling something of an Eli and being hesitant about coming out if he and his camp didn't think highly of the franchise with the #1 pick.

It's getting to the point now where if a franchise QB comes good the likelihood of him ever escaping the team that drafts him is incredibly low. Case-in-point: Kirk Cousins.

SC has a pretty darn good track record of holding onto their star QB's to full term (Sanchez is largely an outlier) and if they're looking like they'll be in contention for a Natty (or a repeat... not likely, but not outside the realm of possibility), he could certainly go back especially if a franchise with a mediocre-or-worse recent track record as an organization (or ownership) is the one that lands #1.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Do Not Fall For The Darnold Hype Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Bolts223 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Yes he has looked impressive when it matters, But just like every USC QB, I think this one could be a total disappointment like others before him.

I also don't buy the hype on Rosen, but I think he is Supremely better than Sam Darnold.

But, Someone like Mason Rudolph, Jared Stidham, or Josh Allen may rise out of nowhere and claim the mantle of most sought after qb in 2018 that is currently held by Rosen or Darnold

As a UCLA fan/student I naturally hate SC, but I wouldn't call Carson Palmer a bust. He has had a pretty nice career for himself.

Anyways 2017 are very important seasons for both Rosen and Darnold; Rosen needs to have a great year in order to bounce back from a pretty awful and injury plagued 2016 season and Darnold needs to prove that 2016 wasn't just a fluke and that he is the real deal.

Also, USC QB's rarely leave early

Only 2 USC QBs were ever even considered for leaving early Leinart who stayed and Sanchez who left
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Daniel Jeremiah:

Quote:

That would be stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Do Not Fall For The Darnold Hype Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Bolts223 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Yes he has looked impressive when it matters, But just like every USC QB, I think this one could be a total disappointment like others before him.

I also don't buy the hype on Rosen, but I think he is Supremely better than Sam Darnold.

But, Someone like Mason Rudolph, Jared Stidham, or Josh Allen may rise out of nowhere and claim the mantle of most sought after qb in 2018 that is currently held by Rosen or Darnold

As a UCLA fan/student I naturally hate SC, but I wouldn't call Carson Palmer a bust. He has had a pretty nice career for himself.

Anyways 2017 are very important seasons for both Rosen and Darnold; Rosen needs to have a great year in order to bounce back from a pretty awful and injury plagued 2016 season and Darnold needs to prove that 2016 wasn't just a fluke and that he is the real deal.

Also, USC QB's rarely leave early

Only 2 USC QBs were ever even considered for leaving early Leinart who stayed and Sanchez who left

Matt Barkley?
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he has a shot at #1 overall in the draft and passes it up to stay in school, I would not want my team to draft him the following year. Anybody who is stupid enough to pass on being a top 5 drafted QB and passes to return to school and risk his career by possibly getting injured, just does not have his head screwed on right.

You go to college to prepare yourself for a career in your chosen profession, passing on that career and seriously risking your future with a possible injury, just shows how immature you are. Ask Leinart how that worked out???
Buc Ball

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
If he has a shot at #1 overall in the draft and passes it up to stay in school, I would not want my team to draft him the following year. Anybody who is stupid enough to pass on being a top 5 drafted QB and passes to return to school and risk his career by possibly getting injured, just does not have his head screwed on right.

You go to college to prepare yourself for a career in your chosen profession, passing on that career and seriously risking your future with a possible injury, just shows how immature you are. Ask Leinart how that worked out???

Matt Leinart who was still drafted in the top 10?

How many QBs who came out as RS sophomores were successful in the NFL?It's a huge risk and a huge jump to leave after only two years of playing.

Staying in school to improve your craft is a shrewd move to give yourself more experience and reduce the risk that you just aren't ready for the NFL. You balance that against the risk of injury.

Pretending that it's a simple decision is narrow minded. There's huge risks either way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: