Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How would you grade this draft for the Packers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LacyIsGood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
Still think ILB is the biggest weakness of this defense, we've not had that one guy since Hawk. Hopefully Ryan and Martinez continue to improve. But I'm glad we filled almost all the positions we had a need for on Defense, and the one offensive need being RB.

I agree, although Ryan definitely made some strides last year. I keep thinking they are gonna break the mold and draft a smaller fast LB, but I think it's clear they prefer transitioning safeties into that role with Burnett and maybe now some Josh Jones.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
Draft and develop. Do the first and work at/on the second. Can't do the latter without the former. College to pros, nearly all players have issues. The college game is quite different for many positions vs the pros.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting otherwise, but when most of the players in this year's class have a career projectory of Jabaal Sheard, it's not going to give you much room for optimism. In terms of value, I honestly think Biegel in the 4th is near the top at least for what the Packers were possibly looking at. By the time their original first round pick was up, we had already seen Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Derek Barnett, Charles Harris, Takk McKinley, and Taco Charlton go off the board. And you could add T.J. Watt, Tyus Bowser, Ryan Anderson, DeMarcus Walker, and Tanoh Kpassagnon off the board by our 2nd round pick. And there was a flurry of pass rushers taken before our 3rd round pick. There just wasn't a ton of value in EDGE this year.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LacyIsGood wrote:
Gopackgonerd wrote:
Still think ILB is the biggest weakness of this defense, we've not had that one guy since Hawk. Hopefully Ryan and Martinez continue to improve. But I'm glad we filled almost all the positions we had a need for on Defense, and the one offensive need being RB.

I agree, although Ryan definitely made some strides last year. I keep thinking they are gonna break the mold and draft a smaller fast LB, but I think it's clear they prefer transitioning safeties into that role with Burnett and maybe now some Josh Jones.

I think Ryans season last year would have been looked at a little differently if he never had that injury and was able to keep his momentum going. I thought he was playing good football up to that point, better than we've had in a while at that spot.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CactusPackFan wrote:
Gopackgonerd wrote:

Check out the UDFA thread. I am pretty sure we got a guy that has a great chance of making the team. Not sure if his first name but his last name is very memorable: Heiman.

Dude should really an S in there tbh
DocHambone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inside linebacker position is an inherently flawed position. The position essentially asks you to wear a bunch of different hats all at the same time (coverage, rush, run defense). Thats why we've see so many 'meh' players over the years. Its the old adage chasing two rabbits and catching none.

I'd like to see Dom try and capitalize on players strengths. Play Burnett/Jones and Clay/Biegel as inside guys. There is a lot of value with them inside because Burnett/Jones project to have ++ coverage abilities, and Clay/Biegel project to be + against the run, and as rushers.

Sure, you will have to mask some deficiencies, but its better than masking multiple deficiencies when you use Ryan, Martinez types.
cooters22

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Stevein2012 wrote:
Getting King and Biegel with our first round pick was awesome.

Agreed, the trade back was well done. I am one who loves the Biegel pick because it allows Clay to move around more and play inside on some plays. Note sure why 3 RB's - thought that was a bit of a waste of 1 of those picks.

Why not 3 rb's? After basically the 5th round, you just take BPA because most of the picks at this point in time have a long shot to be that good. Now we take those 3 rb's and see which one or two make the team, make them earn a spot. Maybe one of them was brought in to return kicks? Injuries happen, so you can never have too much depth. Also one of the guys may just get place on the IR for a year to just let him know the system or actually get cut just so we can put him on the ps. I also don't think Christian Michael is a shoe in to make this roster. I think he has talent and that's why he's back, but he wasn't catching onto the playbook. Aaron was continuously showing him where to lineup.
cooters22

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:

Jamaal Williams D (Troublemaker. First it's a girl after curfew, next thing you know it'll be water balloons out of the 2nd story window of a St. Norbert's dorm in training camp. Checks out stands for pretty girls while wearing street clothes on Game Day.)

I hope you are kidding and I just don't understand your dry sense of humor. Or you may be the squarest person in the world.

The kid actually owned up to it, that he had a girl in his room. Really, most colleges this isn't a problem. I'd be more concerned if he didn't bring a girl up to his room. Anyways, he knew he broke the conduct code. Didn't gripe about it. Said yes he signed it. Could have transferred because he graduated early, but he didn't. He said BYU was one of only 3 schools to offer him a scholarship and he owed them staying there, even though the school cost him a playing year. Educated yourself more about him on packers.com in his initial interview with the Packers.
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

Jamaal Williams D (Troublemaker. First it's a girl after curfew, next thing you know it'll be water balloons out of the 2nd story window of a St. Norbert's dorm in training camp. Checks out stands for pretty girls while wearing street clothes on Game Day.)

I hope you are kidding and I just don't understand your dry sense of humor. Or you may be the squarest person in the world.

The kid actually owned up to it, that he had a girl in his room. Really, most colleges this isn't a problem. I'd be more concerned if he didn't bring a girl up to his room. Anyways, he knew he broke the conduct code. Didn't gripe about it. Said yes he signed it. Could have transferred because he graduated early, but he didn't. He said BYU was one of only 3 schools to offer him a scholarship and he owed them staying there, even though the school cost him a playing year. Educated yourself more about him on packers.com in his initial interview with the Packers.

people dont change. he knew the rules and broke them. we drafted a man that has a propensity for committing crimes, can't take it lightly. draft grade caps at C for folks like this imo. and that grade is for the talented ones like mixon and the fellow who viscously beat his dog.

a nice man that goes under the alias Jaguarfan made this for me
Donzo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

Dude- Sad ...So you're sayin' if you don't eat your vegetables after your mom told you to, you should go to jail for 30 days?... Wondering, what are Williams' "crimes".

For blues' post- Laughing
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donzo wrote:
jfinley88 wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

Dude- Sad ...So you're sayin' if you don't eat your vegetables after your mom told you to, you should go to jail for 30 days?... Wondering, what are Williams' "crimes".

id put that on the mother for not rearing respectful children who've been instilled proper values. "crime" is that he shared a room w/ a woman in the same sleeping quarters. dont even want to consider what could've happened in that room w/ both a male & a female present.

a nice man that goes under the alias Jaguarfan made this for me
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we got two steals according to the draft experts.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/15-steals-in-the-2017-nfl-draft/ss-BBAy5Ua?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U218DHP#image=3
spilltray

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
Looks like we got two steals according to the draft experts.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/15-steals-in-the-2017-nfl-draft/ss-BBAy5Ua?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U218DHP#image=3

I consider people here more expert than "experts".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gopackgo247

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im giving it a B+.

We touched all of our needs and added depth at G and OLB.

My favorite pick of the draft is Malachi Dupre. I think this kid is gonna be special. If you ignore his stats and just look at his tape, it seems every play he makes is an amazing catch or run.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donzo wrote:
jfinley88 wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

Indeed, the mocking of William's disciplinary issues were a kind of badly expressed frustration that I haven't been able to figure out the Packers RB picks this year. And in my own mind I was probably tweaking BYU for discipling so severely a loyal and well-behaved young man.

All of the other grades I gave to other picks were sincere...the RB Ds were given because the Pack does have a tendency to cut running backs that looked great in the 4th quarter of pre-season games and I have no idea which ones will pan out.

Now that I have read the article in the Jamaal Williams thread, and after having read and watched a lot more, I am understanding the pick better and certainly respect the young man quite a bit.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't back track now. Williams is a sinner. We can't have that kind of influence on the locker room.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: