Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How would you grade this draft for the Packers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooters22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: How would you grade this draft for the Packers? Reply with quote

How would you grade this draft for the Packers?
cooters22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this draft. There isn't one pick that I'm enamored with such as when we drafted BJ Raji or a Ha Ha Clinton Dix, but I l can't say there is one pick that I don't like. This draft is going to allow us to be a very competitive football team. We needed a corner or two and we got it, we needed a edge rusher we got it, same for RB. Those were the three spots that we absolutely needed somebody. Throw in a dang good backup NT. Also a dream replacement for Mycah Hyde and I suddenly get chills about this draft. We didn't need any OL because honestly after our guard signing last week we suddenly are 7,8 deep already, well doesn't matter we drafted a beast there too. Then to top it off, we sign a Wisconsin kid, who has strong Wisconsin football bloodlines flowing through him. We got the tallest and very fast CB. Our defense is going to be faster, no doubt about that. Because of some FA signings Ted could concentrate on the defense and he did. I don't think I've ever been this excited about our draft ever. We seriously were still grabbing kids in the 4th, 5th, 6th rounds that were productive college kids and was surprised that many were still available. I'm giving it a solid A and that isn't a homer grade in any way.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head B+

Kevin King A
Josh Jones A
Montravius Adams B
Vince Bagel Cream Cheese B
Jamaal Williams A
DeAngelo Yancy C
Aaron Jones B
Kofi Amichia D
Devante Mays C
Malachi Dupre B
cooters22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:

Kevin King A
Josh Jones A
Montravius Adams B
Jamaal Williams A
DeAngelo Yancy C
Aaron Jones B
Kofi Amichia D
Devante Mays C
Malachi Dupre B

I probably liked the Montravius Adams pick the least; at the time I didn't understand the Josh Jones pick but I really educated myself on that pick. What is it about Kofi Amichia that you don't like? Given that fact you gave it a D grade it must be something. I know nothing about the kid, but looking at footage of him, he looks like one of the best put together OLmen that I've seen in some time. And I think you may be surprised on the Yancy pick. The kid has talent. I'm a Big Ten guy and actually wondered watching him once what he'd be like in a different offense with a different qb. He does have talent. Thanks for showing us a grade. Also I know nothing of this Mays kid, was shocked they went RB yet again, but hey we had so many picks.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a B. We got some good talent, but very little of it impacts the on-field play right away. On top of that, we didn't fill all the needs. We needed a KR and I don't think we got one. We could've possibly upgraded P and we didn't try to do that. We could've possibly gotten a backup QB for the future and chose not to do that. People were saying we need an EDGE as well as ILB depth and we didn't really get that, depending on what position Biegel players. While he could be considered an OLB/ILB hybrid, I don't think it's fair to say that he solves ILB depth as well as being an EDGE rotational guy. We could've used a RB highly to help Montgomery take carries, but we waited until the 4th Round, and then took 3 guys, so while I like the guys we got, it could've been filled with a better talent (not complaining about this btw, but it goes into the grading). And really, we didn't get any talent that was a wow. For instance, don't get me wrong, I love King, but we traded down to 33 and still got him. It's not like a CB like Conley fell to us at 29. And throughout the entire Draft I don't really feel like we got any super steals. King, Williams, and Dupre are the 3 best for me, we traded down and still got King so obviously more of the NFL was willing to pass on him, Williams is a 4th Round RB where many RB's tend to go, and Dupre is a 7th Round guy so hard to get too excited about that since we passed on him 9 times.

I think there are a few questionable picks in there as well, such as did we need to take Yancey that highly? NFLDraftScout has him as a 7th-UDFA, one magazine I have with 60 WR's has him unlisted, another has him unlisted with 36 WR's, and another had 32 WR's without listing him. And if someone took him couldn't we have just taken another guy? Trent Taylor went 2 picks later, and Isaiah Ford didn't go until the 7th Round. There were other guys as well in case Yancey was stolen. There's a lot of talent that went off after 5.32 (we traded down from 5.29 with Denver btw, and Denver took a WR), such as an OT that projects as an OG/C in JJ Dielman out of Utah. Davon Godchaux is a talented DT that went right after. There were other guys, too. So I really question the value and talent of some of these Day 3 picks. I feel like at the end of the day, what Yancey is going to be is a guy who was selected in the 5th Round, cut, and we either lose him or put him on the PS, and I just don't get why we do that in the 5th Round. If makes the team then we'll see. The 2nd and 3rd RB's were kind of questionable as well, although I get why they went that route and it could work out.

So with all of that, put it together, and start by asking did we get good players? Overall, I think so. That's at least a B-. Did we get guys that filled needs and can help the team right away to put it up to an A+? A bit, but not overly so, and that's why I give us a B.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
Gopackgonerd wrote:

Kevin King A
Josh Jones A
Montravius Adams B
Jamaal Williams A
DeAngelo Yancy C
Aaron Jones B
Kofi Amichia D
Devante Mays C
Malachi Dupre B

I probably liked the Montravius Adams pick the least; at the time I didn't understand the Josh Jones pick but I really educated myself on that pick. What is it about Kofi Amichia that you don't like? Given that fact you gave it a D grade it must be something. I know nothing about the kid, but looking at footage of him, he looks like one of the best put together OLmen that I've seen in some time. And I think you may be surprised on the Yancy pick. The kid has talent. I'm a Big Ten guy and actually wondered watching him once what he'd be like in a different offense with a different qb. He does have talent. Thanks for showing us a grade. Also I know nothing of this Mays kid, was shocked they went RB yet again, but hey we had so many picks.
I havent watched a lot of film on the late round guys, it's just a quick assessment really overall. Williams and Jones I've watched the most the last couple hours and I fell in love with em. I watched a little on Kofi and the guy got beat a lot, it seemed like it was tough for him to get hands on people, though LT is obviously not gonna be his position in the NFL. I put Vince Bagel and Adams in the same boat really, there's a divide in the fanbase who half love them and half don't, these 2 are depth picks but they really can offer a lot me thinks, comparisons to Fackrell and Thorton, I think they're better than those guys imo. Kevin King and Josh Jones are by far my fave picks besides the RBs, big fast athletic guys this secondary desperately needs.
bkobow05

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask me in a few years. Wink

Across the board, it doesn't look bad. Looks great from a depth standpoint and the impact really depends on whether or not Kevin King can touch his potential. Jones is a "new age" safety, Adams is someone that's going to be a really good rotational piece along the DL, Biegel is going to bring much more impact than some of you think and the offensive players are pretty much purely rotational/depth pieces except Amichia, who could be our starting center as soon as 2018.

Overall, it's a solid draft on paper. LIS above, it all depends on King's development. That'll be what catapults this class.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King - we get my favorite CB of the draft. Future star. [A+]

Jones - great player but was kind of surprised we took a S here. Really, really warmed up to this pick, he's gonna be a good one. [A]

Adams - really big, athletic DT who can play all over the line. Thought he was easily one of the best DL in the draft. [B+]

Biegel - if he didn't get injured, he would've been drafted in the 1-2 range. [A]

Williams - love this guy, he's not a very flashy player but he was my top mid-late round RB. [B+]

Yancey - you could switch him and Dupre around at these picks. Yancey has the ablity to make the 53, just thought we reached a little here. [C]

Jones - totally flew under the radar for me. Don't usually look at 5'9 RBs much. Following the draft, I'm really, really liking him. Great production, great vision and hands. Nice pick. [B]

Amichia - super athletic with a really high ceiling. Very happy with this guy, hopefully Evans can teach him a trick or two! [B]

Mays - injury plagued Samaje Perine like player. Kind of scratched my head at this pick. [D]

Dupre - thought he would've sooner in this draft. Gonna be a better pro than college player IMO. I like this (better than the Yancey pick). [B]

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted King + Kamara Sad They probably know better but that would have made my day.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we solved every problem with the first 5 picks. After that, it was nothing but icing on the cake. VERY happy with this draft.
PackOfLuck27

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to comment on the players as they were other prospects I preferred but I am no scout so I trust they know more lol.

The approach that we trust was perfect got bigger and faster in the secondary. We were able to get a good OLB that can provide depth, thought we needed more but it's okay. Love the idea of the three RB, creates competition and may find a stud in one of the three. We created competition in a crowded position.

Hope this turns out good
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
I watched a little on Kofi and the guy got beat a lot, it seemed like it was tough for him to get hands on people, though LT is obviously not gonna be his position in the NFL.

Not sure why I'm even asking this, but what are you watching? 2015 or post-October 21st 2016?

I know I put a disclaimer out there for Myers with his DraftBreakdown stuff, but it's the exact same deal with Amichia. Both were 2-Year starters at LT that had virtually zero experience/starts on the OL until they were Juniors.

Early 2016 games are what you want to be looking at for Amichia.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I'd really want to change up is the DeAngelo Yancey pick to Bucky Hodges. I had the same viewpoint Ted had at RB for the TE position too. Was a historically good draft there and I would've liked a big late round guy to develop. Hodges probably has some red flags we didn't hear about.

Im happy we finally added speed to that secondary. It was really needed. Excited to see how incumbents like Randall, Rollins, Brice, Janis, Davis, Allison, Michael fight for their jobs. Training camp is going to be awesome this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Hodges probably has some red flags we didn't hear about.

From what I heard Hodges' tumble was due to "off-field stuff" but I didn't find out what. So I get why GB didn't take him.

I wonder if the quality of this TE class is an aberration, or the start of a trend.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
Ask me in a few years. Wink

Across the board, it doesn't look bad. Looks great from a depth standpoint and the impact really depends on whether or not Kevin King can touch his potential. Jones is a "new age" safety, Adams is someone that's going to be a really good rotational piece along the DL, Biegel is going to bring much more impact than some of you think and the offensive players are pretty much purely rotational/depth pieces except Amichia, who could be our starting center as soon as 2018.

Overall, it's a solid draft on paper. LIS above, it all depends on King's development. That'll be what catapults this class.

Can I ask why this is a thing? I've heard that he has experience snapping the ball in practice as a Freshman/Sophomore at USF, but he's never played the position in an actual game and that's not how he projects in the NFL.

Here's my guess: is it because he was announced as a Center in the NFL Draft?

I tend to believe that when NFL teams hand in the card it includes only the name of the player and not the position. NFL.com didn't have a profile for him, which means they probably didn't have updated information on him and they just messed up the position. The same thing happened when we drafted Kurt Campbell, the NFL listed him as a CB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker/by-round#dt-by-round-input:6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: