Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Draft Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the consensus is that we shouldnt have taken 2 OL late but I dont have a problem with it. Depth on the oline is incredibly valuable in my opinion, and if thats what your looking for (depth) then the later rounds would be the ideal time to take them.

I honestly can't complain about this draft. We did what I thought we'd do and drafted according to need over value so we'll see if that philosophy pans out. I was surprised with the Adoree pick like most, but I can see why they were intrigued with him enough to take him at 18. They see potential with his athleticism and addresses two posistions with one pick that we really kinda needed. His ability in the return game definitely made the difference in their decision. I know most wanted him in the 2nd, and Im sure the Titans did too, but not having a second and unable to trade back definitely played a part in the pick. Time will tell but Im kinda excited about him now that Ive had time to really process it.

I was against taking a TE in the first, but even I wouldnt have had a problem taking OJ at 18 there. The writing was already on the wall tho weeks before the draft in terms of how we'd address TE. They mentioned multiple times how they liked the depth at TE in this draft which made it hard for me to believe theyd take one early.

So we got our future number 1 WR that we desperately needed. A future starting corner that will double as a returner (and potentially be one of the best in the league almost immediately). Another productive college WR that wasnt taken strictly on potential that actually has some speed to go with it. A big athletic TE, depth at ILB that may actually NOT be a liability in coverage, some depth on the line, and a change of pace back with a ton of speed.

Im pretty happy with it. B+ only because we couldnt trade back at all to accumulate anymore "draft currency" as well as still picking up the guy we want that we may have reached on a bit.

2015 Adopt-A-Titan:
Marcus Mariota
Byron Stingily
-Hope-

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really like davis, taylor, and smith. i want to be excited about adoree because we really badly needed athletes like him in our secondary and i'm very stoked to see his impact in the return game, but i don't know if i can justify a first round pick. just not sure he'll ever be a starter at CB.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question: anybody concerned about Orakpo & Morgan's ability to rush the passer? Can we get by another year with them?

In general, I'm tired of hearing people play the "We need more weapons for Marcus" argument. He's got Delanie & DeMarco along with decent WR's. A great run game and solid defense are the only things the great ones need.

Kerry Collins got things done with Justin Gage & Bo Scaife. Child, please. Nowadays if QB's don't have Randy Moss the fans go nuts, accusing the team of sabotaging the QB.

We got two more WR weapons so no more excuses. Along with another TE. Two more WR's at the expense of pass rushers. No more excuses why we can't we win this division, either!
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edro wrote:
Serious question: anybody concerned about Orakpo & Morgan's ability to rush the passer? Can we get by another year with them?

In general, I'm tired of hearing people play the "We need more weapons for Marcus" argument. He's got Delanie & DeMarco along with decent WR's. A great run game and solid defense are the only things the great ones need.

Kerry Collins got things done with Justin Gage & Bo Scaife. Child, please. Nowadays if QB's don't have Randy Moss the fans go nuts, accusing the team of sabotaging the QB.

We got two more WR weapons so no more excuses. Along with another TE. Two more WR's at the expense of pass rushers. No more excuses why we can't we win this division, either!

You can't compare Kerry Collins situation to mariota's, why because Collins was at the end of his career & was only needed to be a game manager not a franchise QB.
We also had an all pro defense wit pro bowlers in Finnegan, Keith bullock, Michael griffin, Chris hope, KVB & big Albert Haynesworth. That defense was super bowl ready.
But back to Marcus, it's important for us to build an offense tailored round around his skill set. I think this year we'll see less 2TE sets & more spread 4 wide & 3 WR sets.
You want your QB to develop confidence.
If mariota gets a titans defense like In 2008 we're super bowl bound jack
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edro wrote:

Lol. Sure, if you call throwing for 2800 yards and 12 TDs "getting things done" then ok. To even compare the two's particular circumstances is a complete and utter fail.

Our run game and elite defense won us 13 games that year. Not Kerry freakin Collins.

Edit: Btw, Marcus has thrown more TDs in 2 seasons than Collins did in his entire 5 years in Tennessee.

2015 Adopt-A-Titan:
Marcus Mariota
Byron Stingily
edro

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please put words in my mouth.

I said I'm tired of people crying about a lack of weapons. We're in the Afc South for crying out loud. We have the best O-line, second to only Dallas. We've got two solid running backs and the 2nd best TE, along with competent pass-catchers.

Still the tards cry out "MORE WEAPONS MORE WEAPONS MORE WEAPONS."
A good run game and defense are the only weapons a QB needs! Find me another Peyton Manning and I'll sink money into getting him worthy toys. Know why the Colts only went to two SuperBowls? Lack of a run game and defense. Manning thought he could throw 600 times a season.

MORE WEAPONS MORE WEAPONS MORE WEAPONS

How about getting a freaking defense that can rush the passer.

I was told we'd have EXOTIC SMASHMOUTH! I WANT MORE SMASHMOUTH. Henry should have 250 carries just like DeMarco.
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need more weapons because more weapons makes a big difference in us being 9-7 or 10-6 or 11-5.
Yes we have a run game, but guess what at times our offensive play calling is vanilla as day. & sometimes defenses take away our best offensive weapon on the perimeter delanie walker.
More weapons makes our offense more difficult to contain.
I guarantee you we can't win a super bowl wit our offense from last yr.
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes. We can get by with a pass-rushing duo that just combined for 20 sacks despite playing in front of the worst secondary in football and, as a result, virtually having zero chance to rack up the same kind of coverage sacks that most of the elite pass rushers benefit from over the course of a season.
Quote:

How about getting a freaking defense that can rush the passer.

We ranked sixth in the entire league in sacks last season.

Props to mike23md on the sig
MdTitansFan56

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edro wrote:

Yes Delanie and Demarco are good weapons, but decent WRs? He was throwing to a life time number 3 in Matthews as his 1 last year Harry Douglass, and a 5th rounder that couldn't get open. Those WR are far from decent. We were top 10 in sacks last year, so I think they got to the passer pretty well. Lack of coverage is why our defense failed. We addressed our secondary.

Would I like more depth for our edge? Yes but Dodd is a 2nd year guy who knows what he will be. The weapons you seem to be against are only going to help the run game as well. So calm down buddy
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, Kerry Collins "got things done." He was also the quarterback of a team that had a top two running back, the best defense in football, and one of the most dominant defensive players of the last 20 years. It's far easier and more reasonable to supply a quarterback with reliable, if not spectacular receiving options than it is to get one of the most explosive running backs in NFL history and the best defense in the game simultaneously.

-Hope-

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
And yes, Kerry Collins "got things done." He was also the quarterback of a team that had a top two running back, the best defense in football, and one of the most dominant defensive players of the last 20 years. It's far easier and more reasonable to supply a quarterback with reliable, if not spectacular receiving options than it is to get one of the most explosive running backs in NFL history and the best defense in the game simultaneously.

i mean, dude, if marcus quarterbacked that team....superb owls.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

A prime CJ2K and Mariota in the backfield would be completely unfair. Laughing

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

A prime CJ2K and Mariota in the backfield would be completely unfair. Laughing
With a defense that pretty much guarantees a win if you break 20 points.

edro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:
You need more weapons because more weapons makes a big difference in us being 9-7 or 10-6 or 11-5.
Yes we have a run game, but guess what at times our offensive play calling is vanilla as day. & sometimes defenses take away our best offensive weapon on the perimeter delanie walker.
More weapons makes our offense more difficult to contain.
I guarantee you we can't win a super bowl wit our offense from last yr.

That's another thing, everyone's always complaining about "vanilla" playcalling. (I agree we need more run game and PA passes). Let me tell you something. Priest Holmes & Shaun Alexander. Every defense knew toss left was coming with Shaun. They still executed the play and it still worked. That early 2000's KC run-game is what we need!! get on youtube and watch them WRECK defenses. I want SMASHMOUTH! with a dash of Exotic here and there.
edro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
titans0021 wrote:

Which is exactly why I was so critical of VY back then....gosh that still hurts. What a defense...

We got screwed on that delay of game no call against Bal in the playoffs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: